Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04.11.2015, 00:11
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,522
Groaned at 164 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 8,546 Times in 4,682 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Land of the free

In the decades before 1998 the USA death rate of middle aged whites was falling about 2 per cent per year; similar to other Western economies.
However after 1998 (in USA only) the death rate has risen around 0.5% per year due to drug related deaths (including prescription drugs), mostly amongst the poorer educated with limited prospects.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 04.11.2015, 00:27
edot's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 4,861
Groaned at 21 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 6,206 Times in 2,801 Posts
edot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Land of the free

The increase is seems to be mostly among white middle aged men with a high school or less level of education. I think these are the the people who've been most impacted by the loss of "blue collar" type jobs.

The drug thing is very sad. Lots of people became addicted to prescription pain meds like oxycontin, and then the price of these meds shot up. heroin is a cheap replacement and thus, lots of suburban whites are heroin addicts. And lots of bad heroin out there... People are dying of heroin overdoses in the suburbs.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank edot for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 04.11.2015, 00:37
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,522
Groaned at 164 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 8,546 Times in 4,682 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Land of the free

Quote:
View Post
The increase is seems to be mostly among white middle aged men with a high school or less level of education. I think these are the the people who've been most impacted by the loss of "blue collar" type jobs.

The drug thing is very sad. Lots of people became addicted to prescription pain meds like oxycontin, and then the price of these meds shot up. heroin is a cheap replacement and thus, lots of suburban whites are heroin addicts. And lots of bad heroin out there... People are dying of heroin overdoses in the suburbs.
It is like a scene out of a B movie science fiction film ;(

circa 40,000 extra deaths per year tragic.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04.11.2015, 01:04
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Basel
Posts: 884
Groaned at 19 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 564 Times in 349 Posts
Meerkat33 is considered knowledgeableMeerkat33 is considered knowledgeableMeerkat33 is considered knowledgeable
Re: Land of the free

yeah i saw a documentary made for al jazeera america on this topic, it's astonishing they're not doing anything, the fda is even approving a more addictive painkiller. and to think that those are forbidden or very limited in europe.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Meerkat33 for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 04.11.2015, 01:11
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 5,114
Groaned at 189 Times in 148 Posts
Thanked 6,073 Times in 3,284 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Land of the free

Quote:
View Post
yeah i saw a documentary made for al jazeera america on this topic, it's astonishing they're not doing anything, the fda is even approving a more addictive painkiller. and to think that those are forbidden or very limited in europe.
Al jazeera, ahh. It must be 100% true then.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04.11.2015, 01:36
edot's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 4,861
Groaned at 21 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 6,206 Times in 2,801 Posts
edot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Land of the free

Quote:
View Post
Al jazeera, ahh. It must be 100% true then.

I don't know about Al Jazeera as a source, but I've seen it discussed in some US media, and a friend in the US who is a physician said pretty much the same thing - about the drugs and heroin.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank edot for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 04.11.2015, 12:51
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 3,048
Groaned at 99 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 3,784 Times in 1,954 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Land of the free

Quote:
View Post
Al jazeera, ahh. It must be 100% true then.
Isn't it most odd that the numbers started rising immediately after Al Jazeera was founded in 1996. I bet they're behind the changed death rates.

They probably also made sure that the UN troops in Afghanistan, who've been there for 15 years now, have orders to not interfere with afghani opium production, which is the base for heroin. Afghanistan produces 95% of all illegal opium worldwide, they produced virtually nothing during the short Taliban regime before UN troops invaded. Honi soît qui mal y pense.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04.11.2015, 13:02
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 10,064
Groaned at 267 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 14,178 Times in 5,756 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Land of the free

Quote:
View Post
Al jazeera, ahh. It must be 100% true then.
Are you aware of the many awards Al Jazeera has been presented for the quality of its news and presenters?

Or did you also think that Osama was the president of the U.S?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 04.11.2015, 13:06
dodgyken's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Democratic Republic Kenistan
Posts: 9,834
Groaned at 340 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 17,495 Times in 6,682 Posts
dodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond reputedodgyken has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Land of the free

Quote:
View Post
Are you aware of the many awards Al Jazeera has been presented for the quality of its news and presenters?

Or did you also think that Osama was the president of the U.S?
I can't believe the military assassinated their own president and dumped his body at sea.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank dodgyken for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 04.11.2015, 13:08
Phos's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH
Posts: 7,177
Groaned at 462 Times in 350 Posts
Thanked 9,364 Times in 4,926 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Land of the free

Quote:
View Post
The increase is seems to be mostly among white middle aged men with a high school or less level of education. I think these are the the people who've been most impacted by the loss of "blue collar" type jobs.
Interesting note regarding having a job. Some of the cultural changes that have occurred during this time is in regards to the role of men. Leading up to this, American men played a prominent role in the world in their own psyche, just about on a mythical level. They beat nazism, GI "saved" Europe, went to the Moon, got everyone into a single family home with a two car garage, a swimming pool, and everyone had a refrigerator and television, etc.

A lot of this started to change with the feminist movement. The men really weren't as important as they were made out to be afterall. Industrial jobs declined. And in the corporate world, women were getting hired in greater proportion to men, probably because they were more adept politically and easier to work with. So as American men started to lose the importance of their roles, they also started to lose their own sense of purpose and relevance.

I suspect he death rate has something to do with the men's sense of their purpose and direction for living.
__________________
exceptio probat regulam
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04.11.2015, 13:21
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,411
Groaned at 141 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 14,611 Times in 6,217 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Land of the free

Quote:
View Post
Interesting note regarding having a job. Some of the cultural changes that have occurred during this time is in regards to the role of men. Leading up to this, American men played a prominent role in the world in their own psyche, just about on a mythical level. They beat nazism, GI "saved" Europe, went to the Moon, got everyone into a single family home with a two car garage, a swimming pool, and everyone had a refrigerator and television, etc.

A lot of this started to change with the feminist movement. The men really weren't as important as they were made out to be afterall. Industrial jobs declined. And in the corporate world, women were getting hired in greater proportion to men, probably because they were more adept politically and easier to work with. So as American men started to lose the importance of their roles, they also started to lose their own sense of purpose and relevance.

I suspect he death rate has something to do with the men's sense of their purpose and direction for living.
I guess all this has to do with the transition to a post industrial society.

In early societies, men hunted and women farmed. In a hunter's mindset there is success or failure, because you find and kill your prey, or it gets away. There is nothing between. On a farm you can have an OK crop or a slightly better crop or a slightly worse crop but there are lots of intermediate levels of success and the extremes don't really play.

Winning WW2 and landing on the moon were typical hunter goals. You win or you lose. There was no compromise. Today's challenges are more in between stuff. How can you measure the human effect on global warming and whether or not attempts to mitigate that are succesful or pure fantasy?

So a challenge to men these days is to either reprogram to more differentiated levels of measuring success, or to find challenges that have more measurable outcomes. Many men waste away in front of the TV watching sports, one of the few areas where there are still clear cut win or lose outcomes. But an over absorption with this is dangerous and men need to come back into the real world.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 04.11.2015, 13:30
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 10,064
Groaned at 267 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 14,178 Times in 5,756 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Land of the free

And even your movie actors playing American icons are not from the U.S.

Spiderman and Batman for starters.

No wonder the average U.S. male feels impotent.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04.11.2015, 13:38
Phos's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH
Posts: 7,177
Groaned at 462 Times in 350 Posts
Thanked 9,364 Times in 4,926 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Land of the free

Quote:
View Post
I guess all this has to do with the transition to a post industrial society.

In early societies, men hunted and women farmed. In a hunter's mindset there is success or failure, because you find and kill your prey, or it gets away. There is nothing between. On a farm you can have an OK crop or a slightly better crop or a slightly worse crop but there are lots of intermediate levels of success and the extremes don't really play.

Winning WW2 and landing on the moon were typical hunter goals. You win or you lose. There was no compromise. Today's challenges are more in between stuff. How can you measure the human effect on global warming and whether or not attempts to mitigate that are succesful or pure fantasy?

So a challenge to men these days is to either reprogram to more differentiated levels of measuring success, or to find challenges that have more measurable outcomes. Many men waste away in front of the TV watching sports, one of the few areas where there are still clear cut win or lose outcomes. But an over absorption with this is dangerous and men need to come back into the real world.
Well, they sort of resurged right after 9/11. All of a sudden, they found renewed purpose. I think that is one reasoned they grabbed the opportunity with the war on terror, and just could not let go. They have overplayed it, and the results speak for themselves.

I think they were accustomed to a more visceral role that is easily marginalised by changing the conversation. They lost the plot, and they got lost in the conversation. The world is now a lot more sophisticated, and they really need to learn that sophistication.

For an indication of where they are at on an intellectual level, just check in on one of the GOP debates. I'm afraid they lost the plot and are trying to lead from the past. They need to be more proactive towards the future instead of reactive from the past. I'm not encouraged they will turnaround in time for the next election. I may have to learn how to swallow saying Madame President Clinton.
__________________
exceptio probat regulam
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Phos for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 04.11.2015, 14:22
Ace1's Avatar
A singular modality
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Engelberg & near Basel
Posts: 5,860
Groaned at 169 Times in 121 Posts
Thanked 8,902 Times in 3,984 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Land of the free

Quote:
View Post
yeah i saw a documentary made for al jazeera america on this topic, it's astonishing they're not doing anything, the fda is even approving a more addictive painkiller.
The idea that these addictions and extra deaths are due to medical use of prescription painkillers is frankly ludicrous. If there is a issue with them it would be that existing drug users, or suppliers thereto, are able to go to many different doctors and get prescriptions from them all.

Don't be fooled into thinking that controlled medical use, even over a period of months, will turn someone into an addict. That simply is not true, as I and many other patients treated for extreme trauma can personally attest.

The underlying problem is that there are so many people for whom the temporary release of an opiate fix represents a better life than they have. And that is truly tragic.

Fix society, fix the system, remove the problem.

EDIT: Just saw this bit
Quote:
View Post
and to think that those are forbidden or very limited in europe.
Which painkillers would this be that aren't available in Europe then?
__________________
Introduce yourself!

Last edited by Ace1; 04.11.2015 at 14:28. Reason: Added comment
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Ace1 for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 04.11.2015, 14:24
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 1,158
Groaned at 15 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 1,310 Times in 596 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Land of the free

Quote:
View Post
I can't believe the military assassinated their own president and dumped his body at sea.
If you ever watched Fox News, that's exactly what they'd like to do with the current president
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04.11.2015, 14:50
Phos's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH
Posts: 7,177
Groaned at 462 Times in 350 Posts
Thanked 9,364 Times in 4,926 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Land of the free

Quote:
View Post
Spiderman and Batman for starters.
I've always taken those characters for gay, especially Robin. Who the hell else runs around in tights?




At this rate, even James Bond may very well be gay sometime in some future release.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Phos for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 04.11.2015, 15:06
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,411
Groaned at 141 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 14,611 Times in 6,217 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Land of the free

Quote:
View Post
Well, they sort of resurged right after 9/11. All of a sudden, they found renewed purpose. I think that is one reasoned they grabbed the opportunity with the war on terror, and just could not let go. They have overplayed it, and the results speak for themselves.
I think declaring a war on terror, against an as yet to be defined enemy in which victory or defeat are yet to be defined goalposts is not a yes / no game but one with plenty of scope for semantically twisting things around and scope for claiming success and failure on insubstantial achievements.

So it may have been a very martial and drum beating moment, but it wasn't a classic manly hunter moment, even if many mistook it for that at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04.11.2015, 15:11
Phos's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH
Posts: 7,177
Groaned at 462 Times in 350 Posts
Thanked 9,364 Times in 4,926 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Land of the free

Quote:
View Post
I think declaring a war on terror, against an as yet to be defined enemy in which victory or defeat are yet to be defined goalposts is not a yes / no game but one with plenty of scope for semantically twisting things around and scope for claiming success and failure on insubstantial achievements.

So it may have been a very martial and drum beating moment, but it wasn't a classic manly hunter moment, even if many mistook it for that at the time.
It was basically signing onto a blank check without any clear objective, and no real measure of success. It was a way for the government to coalesce support at a very emotional time. It was so useful for them that way, they never defined a criteria for success. Naturally, it continues in perpetuity until failure.

I think the men got renewed jolt of purpose out of that one, for a time, while it lasted.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Phos for this useful post:
This user groans at Phos for this post:
  #19  
Old 04.11.2015, 22:37
edot's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 4,861
Groaned at 21 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 6,206 Times in 2,801 Posts
edot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Land of the free

Quote:
View Post
The idea that these addictions and extra deaths are due to medical use of prescription painkillers is frankly ludicrous. If there is a issue with them it would be that existing drug users, or suppliers thereto, are able to go to many different doctors and get prescriptions from them all.

Don't be fooled into thinking that controlled medical use, even over a period of months, will turn someone into an addict. That simply is not true, as I and many other patients treated for extreme trauma can personally attest.

The underlying problem is that there are so many people for whom the temporary release of an opiate fix represents a better life than they have. And that is truly tragic.

Fix society, fix the system, remove the problem.

EDIT: Just saw this bit


Which painkillers would this be that aren't available in Europe then?

Not quite. As you might know, many Americans have substandard health coverage. Many people have been prescribed painkillers, or perhaps they are obtained illegally. Recently, the price of these drugs increased, and increased above affordability for many of these people with crap insurance, or just off the street. Heroin is a much less expensive alternative, easily available, and unfortunately, inconsistent in quality.

You are right, generally speaking, that carefully supervised in a medical setting, many people do not become addicts. But there is still a lot of abuse. And perhaps not everyone is carefully monitored, and not all patients return for follow up, prescription etc. heroin is cheaper.
__________________
"Pictures of perfection, as you know, make me sick and wicked" ---- Jane Austen
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04.11.2015, 22:43
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 6,611
Groaned at 188 Times in 147 Posts
Thanked 10,974 Times in 4,533 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Land of the free

Quote:
View Post
At this rate, even James Bond may very well be gay sometime in some future release.
Did you miss the contributions that Roger Moore made to that franchise?
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Land of the (not quite) Free! xapadoo International affairs/politics 30 06.09.2008 16:04


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0