Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 17.12.2015, 11:23
Principia Discordia's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Züri Unterland
Posts: 1,060
Groaned at 69 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 2,104 Times in 647 Posts
Principia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond reputePrincipia Discordia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Overweight Haters Ltd

Quote:
View Post
Every day on my commute home there's a huge guy who needs two seats, but if there's a single seat, he'll grab it. It's absolutely intolerable to have that guys arm, stomach, and legs smashed up against me and spilling over onto me. I feel bad for the guy, to a point, but I feel worse for the people he sits next to..


This happened again yesterday. The only seat free was next to me, and he took it. I hate this guy, I really do. I feel bad for him, I'm guessing he's too fat to handle standing for the whole bus ride judging by how he'll barrel through anyone and everyone to get to a seat and I don't want to humiliate him by getting up or whatever but I can't stand having 90% of this guy's body smashed into me.


F#ck you, big guy. Seriously.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Principia Discordia for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 17.12.2015, 11:27
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 11,485
Groaned at 246 Times in 157 Posts
Thanked 13,338 Times in 5,682 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Overweight Haters Ltd

Quote:
“Young man just got on train at Oxford Circus, gave printed card saying YOU’RE FAT to overweight girl. He jumped off. She read it, [and] cried.

“Am 99.9% sure this wasn’t staged. She didn’t even realise I was watching at first. Her stunned, desolate reaction was very real. Then tears.”

Knox described the man who handed over the card as a “hipster.. smartly, trendily dressed” with a beard. “Perhaps it was a piece of conceptual art,” he tweeted
.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 17.12.2015, 11:52
Dougal's Breakfast's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: GL
Posts: 15,405
Groaned at 969 Times in 737 Posts
Thanked 38,709 Times in 12,114 Posts
Dougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Overweight Haters Ltd

So... no more reported cases, no arrests, not a word in the news about this for more than a fortnight.


Does anyone really still believe this isnt a hoax?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Dougal's Breakfast for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 17.12.2015, 12:06
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 11,485
Groaned at 246 Times in 157 Posts
Thanked 13,338 Times in 5,682 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Overweight Haters Ltd

Quote:
View Post
So... no more reported cases, no arrests, not a word in the news about this for more than a fortnight.


Does anyone really still believe this isnt a hoax?
you mean a hoax as in none of the reported events happened and was just made up?

i'm not sure how you conclude it is a hoax just because there are no more reported cases (after all, it could have been a one off), or that there were no arrests (like you'd expect to catch the guy) or that it is no more in the news (no updates, no more news).

it could be fake/hoax, but i don't think the reasons you gave are logical reasons for it being a hoax.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 17.12.2015, 12:06
Dougal's Breakfast's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: GL
Posts: 15,405
Groaned at 969 Times in 737 Posts
Thanked 38,709 Times in 12,114 Posts
Dougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Overweight Haters Ltd

Quote:
View Post
you mean a hoax as in none of the reported events happened and was just made up?

i'm not sure how you conclude it is a hoax just because there are no more reported cases (after all, it could have been a one off), or that there were no arrests (like you'd expect to catch the guy) or that it is no more in the news (no updates, no more news).

it could be fake/hoax, but i don't think the reasons you gave are logical reasons for it being a hoax.
I mainly think it's a hoax because it reeks of bullshit.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Dougal's Breakfast for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 17.12.2015, 12:26
Chemmie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,721
Groaned at 27 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 4,238 Times in 1,924 Posts
Chemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Overweight Haters Ltd

Quote:
View Post
I mainly think it's a hoax because it reeks of bullshit.


Much like overweight cows
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Chemmie for this useful post:
  #27  
Old 17.12.2015, 12:28
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 11,485
Groaned at 246 Times in 157 Posts
Thanked 13,338 Times in 5,682 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Overweight Haters Ltd

https://twitter.com/notlamb/status/6...rc=twsrc%5Etfw
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 17.12.2015, 13:49
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 990
Groaned at 44 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 2,588 Times in 1,174 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Overweight Haters Ltd

Quote:
View Post
it could be fake/hoax, but i don't think the reasons you gave are logical reasons for it being a hoax.
I spent the last 18mths living in Berkshire, and regularly got the tube from LHR T5 into London. Sadly, I find this story very believable,l but I guess it's been overshadowed by the massive recent rise in women being sexually harassed on the tube. That's a huge problem at rush hour with men rubbing themselves up against women and being obviously aroused.

Got to say, after living 'down south' for a few years total, it was a massive relief to move to Zurich. It's so laid back and friendly by comparison. That will shock a few people to hear, but I can't count the number of times I've been reprimanded in the street by people in the U.K. for smoking, etc... I even got reprimanded for carrying too much shopping, and not in a helpful way. I'm usually quick with a response, but on a few occassions I've been left absolutely gobsmacked by the audacity of people.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 17.12.2015, 13:51
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,195
Groaned at 529 Times in 401 Posts
Thanked 11,951 Times in 4,680 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Overweight Haters Ltd

Quote:
View Post
I wonder if the reaction would be the same if card were handed out to smokers?
Bit of a pointless comparison, as psychologically they are two very different things and provoke two very different reactions.

Quote:
View Post
This happened again yesterday. The only seat free was next to me, and he took it. I hate this guy, I really do. I feel bad for him, I'm guessing he's too fat to handle standing for the whole bus ride judging by how he'll barrel through anyone and everyone to get to a seat and I don't want to humiliate him by getting up or whatever but I can't stand having 90% of this guy's body smashed into me.


F#ck you, big guy. Seriously.
For some reason picturing this really made me chuckle.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 17.12.2015, 14:10
kayakdad's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Basel
Posts: 58
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 50 Times in 26 Posts
kayakdad has earned some respectkayakdad has earned some respect
Re: Overweight Haters Ltd

Am I the only one reading this thinking "why be a dick?". Some people are fat, some people aren't. Everyone I know has something wrong with them, what business is it of mine. Going out of your way to write, print and then hand someone a card because you think they should change seems like a dick move. Regardless of what you think is wrong with the person (smoking, being fat, etc).
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank kayakdad for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 17.12.2015, 14:15
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 11,485
Groaned at 246 Times in 157 Posts
Thanked 13,338 Times in 5,682 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Overweight Haters Ltd

Quote:
View Post
I spent the last 18mths living in Berkshire, and regularly got the tube from LHR T5 into London. Sadly, I find this story very believable,l but I guess it's been overshadowed by the massive recent rise in women being sexually harassed on the tube. That's a huge problem at rush hour with men rubbing themselves up against women and being obviously aroused.

Got to say, after living 'down south' for a few years total, it was a massive relief to move to Zurich. It's so laid back and friendly by comparison. That will shock a few people to hear, but I can't count the number of times I've been reprimanded in the street by people in the U.K. for smoking, etc... I even got reprimanded for carrying too much shopping, and not in a helpful way. I'm usually quick with a response, but on a few occassions I've been left absolutely gobsmacked by the audacity of people.
heh. being reprimanded is usually a complaint in switzerland.

i also don't share DB's faith in humanity and can easily believe that this happened.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 17.12.2015, 14:25
Loz1983's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,064
Groaned at 295 Times in 172 Posts
Thanked 5,187 Times in 1,853 Posts
Loz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Overweight Haters Ltd

Quote:
View Post
Bit of a pointless comparison, as psychologically they are two very different things and provoke two very different reactions.
Not really, smokers are treated like lepers on daily basis for a choice they've made. Smoking, like being fat, has absolutely no bearing on others. The only difference is that smoking looks cool and being fat looks, well...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Loz1983 for this useful post:
  #33  
Old 17.12.2015, 14:33
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 11,485
Groaned at 246 Times in 157 Posts
Thanked 13,338 Times in 5,682 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Overweight Haters Ltd

Quote:
View Post
Smoking, like being fat, has absolutely no bearing on others.
well, that's not really true. the reason people hate smokers is that they end up having to inhale their 2nd hand smoke or in the cases above be squished by excess fat.

i would have no problem with smoking at all if the smoke was confined to the smokers. on the contrary, i'd be glad that other people are killing themselves early and saving state funds on pensions etc.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 17.12.2015, 14:39
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,195
Groaned at 529 Times in 401 Posts
Thanked 11,951 Times in 4,680 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Overweight Haters Ltd

Quote:
View Post
Not really, smokers are treated like lepers on daily basis for a choice they've made. Smoking, like being fat, has absolutely no bearing on others. The only difference is that smoking looks cool and being fat looks, well...
Yes really Loz, it's a bit of a dim comparison if you actually think about it... not only for the "smoking doesn't affect anyone else" statement.

Being fat carries a ton of psychological (as well as physical) strain and many people have been cruelly ridiculed and tormented for it for years or even their whole adult lives. It can (and usually does) create massive self-image problems with many super-sensitive about the way they look or comments from others.

Smoking is seen as increasingly unhealthy and is quite rightly being villified, but the effect smoking has on people vs being fat is completely different both for those affected and those looking on. If you give someone a card saying "You're a smoker" and including a photo of lunch cancer the person is likely going to shrug it off as something they have seen a thousand times and are now pretty much immune to. A fat person will likely never reach that stage and will always be hurt by public humiliation.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Richdog for this useful post:
  #35  
Old 17.12.2015, 14:43
Assassin's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chasing clouds
Posts: 4,030
Groaned at 180 Times in 123 Posts
Thanked 11,502 Times in 3,133 Posts
Assassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Overweight Haters Ltd

Can't understand all the uproar here. Yes, the card is intimidating, but purely judgmental? No.

The facts are real and the truth hurts.

Your body is all you own. Look after it. I think that would be the liberal version.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 17.12.2015, 14:49
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 5,123
Groaned at 189 Times in 148 Posts
Thanked 6,088 Times in 3,292 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Overweight Haters Ltd

Quote:
View Post
Can't understand all the uproar here. Yes, the card is intimidating, but purely judgmental? No.
Coming from someone "affiliated" with a group that calls itself "Overweight Haters Ltd"? I would say it definitely is.
Now, had it come from "Love your body and lose weight Ltd" would have been a different thing. Still a bit judgmental, though.

Context is everything.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #37  
Old 17.12.2015, 14:59
Loz1983's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,064
Groaned at 295 Times in 172 Posts
Thanked 5,187 Times in 1,853 Posts
Loz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Overweight Haters Ltd

Quote:
View Post
Yes really Loz, it's a bit of a dim comparison if you actually think about it... not only for the "smoking doesn't affect anyone else" statement.

Being fat carries a ton of psychological (as well as physical) strain and many people have been cruelly ridiculed and tormented for it for years or even their whole adult lives. It can (and usually does) create massive self-image problems with many super-sensitive about the way they look or comments from others.

Smoking is seen as increasingly unhealthy and is quite rightly being villified, but the effect smoking has on people vs being fat is completely different both for those affected and those looking on. If you give someone a card saying "You're a smoker" and including a photo of lunch cancer the person is likely going to shrug it off as something they have seen a thousand times and are now pretty much immune to. A fat person will likely never reach that stage and will always be hurt by public humiliation.
Let's be real here, on a basic level 99% of the time being fat is caused by over eating. Which is a life choice people make. In the worst cases, this can affect ones health.

In this regard, smoking is exactly the same. Now why should fat people be pitied or judged any differently to smokers? Just because they're more visible?

I think it's wrong to judge in both cases, people should be more concerned with themselves. In the end however, fat shaming is no worse than smoker shaming.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Loz1983 for this useful post:
This user groans at Loz1983 for this post:
  #38  
Old 17.12.2015, 15:05
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,195
Groaned at 529 Times in 401 Posts
Thanked 11,951 Times in 4,680 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Overweight Haters Ltd

Quote:
View Post
Let's be real here, on a basic level 99% of the time being fat is caused by over eating. Which is a life choice people make. In the worst cases, this can affect ones health.
Yes, obviously, common knowledge. Not sure why this needs pointing out.

Quote:
In this regard, smoking is exactly the same. Now why should fat people be pitied or judged any differently to smokers? Just because they're more visible?
We are not talking about being pitied or judged, we are talking about going out of your way to cause someone embarrassment and humiliation. That is much easier to do with a fattie than a smoker, with very different effects on the individual.

Quote:
I think it's wrong to judge in both cases, people should be more concerned with themselves. In the end however, fat shaming is no worse than smoker shaming.
Yes it is wrong to go out of your way to shame someone and upset them, and the language used on that hand-out was purely malicious, derogatory and non-constructive.

It's not rocket science Loz.

PS: I have zero sympathy for fat people who eat themselves into stupors, but I would never go out of my way to humiliate one in person. I wouldn't even try to humiliate a smoker and I know to even try is generally pointless.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 17.12.2015, 15:07
bchris's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Lugano
Posts: 82
Groaned at 34 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 98 Times in 40 Posts
bchris has no particular reputation at present
Re: Overweight Haters Ltd

Unf! Read through this thread. Gonna go have a smoke now.

Last edited by bchris; 17.12.2015 at 15:07. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank bchris for this useful post:
  #40  
Old 17.12.2015, 15:18
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 3,667
Groaned at 79 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 5,792 Times in 2,134 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Overweight Haters Ltd

Quote:
View Post
Not really, smokers are treated like lepers on daily basis for a choice they've made. Smoking, like being fat, has absolutely no bearing on others. The only difference is that smoking looks cool and being fat looks, well...
...Cool?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank slammer for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
overweight haters ltd




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Half of Swiss are overweight: study The Local Swiss news via The Local 0 21.11.2011 12:38
Switzerland: 3rd least obese/overweight developed country scrambled Daily life 148 07.12.2010 00:09
Leaving Switzerland - Overweight luggage acmilan Leaving Switzerland 28 14.10.2010 17:58
Overweight luggage from the US: My tips mark General off-topic 24 07.08.2007 02:34


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0