Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics
View Poll Results: What would you personally prefer to happen?
I want the UK to stay in an ever-closer union 49 23.11%
I want the UK to stay in a loosely connected EU 68 32.08%
I want the UK out because the EU is bad for the UK 22 10.38%
I want the UK out because the EU is a bad thing 23 10.85%
I want the UK out because this would be good for the rest of us 17 8.02%
I don't really care 33 15.57%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #2501  
Old 26.06.2016, 22:54
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 6,597
Groaned at 188 Times in 147 Posts
Thanked 10,932 Times in 4,519 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
There is a concerted effort to punish the UK for Brexit. The EU have stated this to dissuade other members from leaving. Even embittered Remainers may work against national interests to vindicate themselves.

I think the government should consider these reactions as an issue of national interests and security. They need to track the impact of these punitive measures and make sure they are not left unanswered. They need to start counting.

Cameron is being an asshole and prick for resigning the way he did. This whole referendum is his baby, and he needs to own up to the results. Its not about his personal hurt feeling for not being believed, its a national interest issue at this point. He needs to retract his arbitrary resignation until he sees this through. He can't just hand this to Boris like this.
Don't be so ridiculous. Cameron publically staked his premiership on this referendum. The commitment to a referendum was key to the Conservative victory in the last general election. Of course it's natural that he should resign when it is evident that the people's will is opposed to his aims.

Are you trying to tell me that public figures in your country are unaccountable to the public?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post:
  #2502  
Old 26.06.2016, 22:55
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: geneve
Posts: 737
Groaned at 328 Times in 142 Posts
Thanked 1,374 Times in 546 Posts
idefix has earned the respect of manyidefix has earned the respect of manyidefix has earned the respect of many
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
It appears to have been a misprint.
I see. So it is legally non-binding. Just like the referendum, according to the remain voters!
Reply With Quote
  #2503  
Old 26.06.2016, 22:58
Kosti's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oranje County
Posts: 488
Groaned at 27 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 871 Times in 364 Posts
Kosti has a reputation beyond reputeKosti has a reputation beyond reputeKosti has a reputation beyond reputeKosti has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Always good to see people's true colours.
Indeed.

They even bothered to laminate! Very English.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Kosti for this useful post:
  #2504  
Old 26.06.2016, 23:00
ZuriRollt's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,785
Groaned at 41 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 2,049 Times in 922 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
It's now 21:50.

No-one on the EF has made any notable contribution as input to this historic event.

Going to bed now.
Troublawesome - why did you groan me - I made the pic of the bus ;-)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ZuriRollt for this useful post:
  #2505  
Old 26.06.2016, 23:03
Phos's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH
Posts: 7,177
Groaned at 462 Times in 350 Posts
Thanked 9,364 Times in 4,926 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Don't be so ridiculous. Cameron publically staked his premiership on this referendum. The commitment to a referendum was key to the Conservative victory in the last general election. Of course it's natural that he should resign when it is evident that the people's will is opposed to his aims.

Are you trying to tell me that public figures in your country are unaccountable to the public?

He should certainly step down, but only after he owns up to the full consequences of what he has done. He needs to wrap this up before he leaves.

Politicians need to be held to full accountability for the actions and decisions they make. Use force if necessary. I think we would get better performance from our politicians if we were to bring back the guillotine.
Reply With Quote
  #2506  
Old 26.06.2016, 23:04
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 1,939
Groaned at 127 Times in 89 Posts
Thanked 3,480 Times in 1,329 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
It's not quite that simple, legally and ethically.

Just take my constituency for example, Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead.

Remain: 53.9%
Leave: 46.1%

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36616028

The MP for this constituency announced his intention to vote Leave before the referendum.

http://www.windsorobserver.co.uk/new...EU_referendum/
presumably something like a few hundred of your consistency like any other will have voted for the bnp and ukip in the last general election. Does he represent their positions in parliament too ?

I'm just amazed how unaccepting people are of a democratic outcome. You sound like someone running an African banana republic, not part of a functioning democracy.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Mikers for this post:
  #2507  
Old 26.06.2016, 23:05
vuachère's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Vaud
Posts: 548
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 334 Times in 188 Posts
vuachère has earned the respect of manyvuachère has earned the respect of manyvuachère has earned the respect of many
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

I (and many others) am terribly sad about the Poland-Switzerland match yesterday. The teams scored a goal each during the first 90 minutes, didn't score any during the extra time, and eventually Poland won by scoring 5 via the penalty shootout (as opposed to Switzerland's 4).
I insist on a rematch as (1) the margins are very narrow (just one missed out penalty shot!), (2) this is not the result I want, and (3) Xhaka wasn't aware of what was at stake and would have performed differently if he had complete information.
Reply With Quote
The following 22 users would like to thank vuachère for this useful post:
  #2508  
Old 26.06.2016, 23:06
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,642
Groaned at 152 Times in 118 Posts
Thanked 9,549 Times in 3,211 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Don't be so ridiculous. Cameron publically staked his premiership on this referendum. The commitment to a referendum was key to the Conservative victory in the last general election. Of course it's natural that he should resign when it is evident that the people's will is opposed to his aims.
I have a lot of respect for Cameron for this.

In my home country (Netherlands), the government is just ignoring negative outcomes of the votings for the European Constitution (2005) and the Ukraine treaty (2016)
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #2509  
Old 26.06.2016, 23:08
ZuriRollt's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,785
Groaned at 41 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 2,049 Times in 922 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I think we would get better performance from our politicians if we were to bring back the guillotine.
Well, at least France will have much more negotiating power on such decisions now.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ZuriRollt for this useful post:
  #2510  
Old 26.06.2016, 23:13
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: geneve
Posts: 737
Groaned at 328 Times in 142 Posts
Thanked 1,374 Times in 546 Posts
idefix has earned the respect of manyidefix has earned the respect of manyidefix has earned the respect of many
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I (and many others) am terribly sad about the Poland-Switzerland match yesterday. The teams scored a goal each during the first 90 minutes, didn't score any during the extra time, and eventually Poland won by scoring 5 via the penalty shootout (as opposed to Switzerland's 4).
I insist on a rematch as (1) the margins are very narrow (just one missed out penalty shot!), (2) this is not the result I want, and (3) Xhaka wasn't aware of what was at stake and would have performed differently if he had complete information.
We also need a bus!
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank idefix for this useful post:
  #2511  
Old 26.06.2016, 23:13
Swisstree's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hants/ZH
Posts: 1,469
Groaned at 25 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 2,477 Times in 941 Posts
Swisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

I've seen a couple more in the on-line papers this afternoon..

You did say it first
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Swisstree for this useful post:
  #2512  
Old 26.06.2016, 23:14
Kosti's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oranje County
Posts: 488
Groaned at 27 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 871 Times in 364 Posts
Kosti has a reputation beyond reputeKosti has a reputation beyond reputeKosti has a reputation beyond reputeKosti has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
presumably something like a few hundred of your consistency like any other will have voted for the bnp and ukip in the last general election. Does he represent their positions in parliament too ?

I'm just amazed how unaccepting people are of a democratic outcome. You sound like someone running an African banana republic, not part of a functioning democracy.
And now they will have the bonus of getting a PM by the end of the autumn Conservative party conference. It'll be a short list of two/three people, nominated by MPs.

This unelected leader could then theoretically hold office unopposed until a general election has to be called in three year's time.

Democracy!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Kosti for this useful post:
  #2513  
Old 26.06.2016, 23:14
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 1,939
Groaned at 127 Times in 89 Posts
Thanked 3,480 Times in 1,329 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I (and many others) am terribly sad about the Poland-Switzerland match yesterday. The teams scored a goal each during the first 90 minutes, didn't score any during the extra time, and eventually Poland won by scoring 5 via the penalty shootout (as opposed to Switzerland's 4).
I insist on a rematch as (1) the margins are very narrow (just one missed out penalty shot!), (2) this is not the result I want, and (3) Xhaka wasn't aware of what was at stake and would have performed differently if he had complete information.
I also saw a news report before the match where the poles said they were confident and 'could win by 2 or 3 goals'. As they have now won, where is this 3 goal margin ? Hmm. Where ? 3 goals they said and its a lie, it's one.

Cancel the whole tournament I say.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Mikers for this post:
  #2514  
Old 26.06.2016, 23:19
ZuriRollt's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,785
Groaned at 41 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 2,049 Times in 922 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I've seen a couple more in the on-line papers this afternoon..

You did say it first
But where's the bus :-(
Reply With Quote
  #2515  
Old 26.06.2016, 23:19
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 960
Groaned at 43 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,135 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
presumably something like a few hundred of your consistency like any other will have voted for the bnp and ukip in the last general election. Does he represent their positions in parliament too ?

I'm just amazed how unaccepting people are of a democratic outcome. You sound like someone running an African banana republic, not part of a functioning democracy.
Yadda yadda...

All I was trying to do is illustrate that many MP's will be having a conflict of interest now. Windsor is overwhelmingly Conservative. Scum like bnp don't even stand.

So we have a Conservative with a huge majority who voted against the majority of his party and his constituents.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windso...election,_2015
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #2516  
Old 26.06.2016, 23:25
Swisstree's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hants/ZH
Posts: 1,469
Groaned at 25 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 2,477 Times in 941 Posts
Swisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond reputeSwisstree has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
But where's the bus :-(
Those pesky Hobbits took it..

brexit-referendum-thread-potential-consequences-gb-eu-brits-ch-13502121_10208980558818674_1365030981277256886_n.jpg
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Swisstree for this useful post:
  #2517  
Old 26.06.2016, 23:27
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Formerly in Neuchatel
Posts: 2,337
Groaned at 219 Times in 150 Posts
Thanked 3,860 Times in 1,537 Posts
porsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

The idea of a second referendum is daft. But lets not kid ourselves....Brexit were talking about mi5 fixing the result and would be just as, if not, even more vocal about a second referendum if they lost.
Reply With Quote
  #2518  
Old 26.06.2016, 23:28
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 1,939
Groaned at 127 Times in 89 Posts
Thanked 3,480 Times in 1,329 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Yadda yadda...

All I was trying to do is illustrate that many MP's will be having a conflict of interest now. Windsor is overwhelmingly Conservative. Scum like bnp don't even stand.

So we have a Conservative with a huge majority who voted against the majority of his party and his constituents.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windso...election,_2015
It doesn't matter. I can't say it enough times. If your mp can't face doing his job description which is to implement the will of the people then he should retire and have a by election. This whole mini argument is a pathetic waste of time. Doesn't matter if the country is going to walk off a cliff, it was a national referendum, not a local one and Leave won. For a national referendum he is now obliged to implement the will of the nation. Christ, is there anything that Remain won't try to bend the result?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Mikers for this useful post:
  #2519  
Old 26.06.2016, 23:40
lewton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Berlin, Deutschland
Posts: 608
Groaned at 16 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 507 Times in 292 Posts
lewton has earned some respectlewton has earned some respect
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I have a lot of respect for Cameron for this.

In my home country (Netherlands), the government is just ignoring negative outcomes of the votings for the European Constitution (2005) and the Ukraine treaty (2016)
Respect for Cameron?
Wasn't he supposedly to trigger article 50 the next day?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank lewton for this useful post:
  #2520  
Old 26.06.2016, 23:42
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 6,597
Groaned at 188 Times in 147 Posts
Thanked 10,932 Times in 4,519 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
If your mp can't face doing his job description which is to implement the will of the people then he should retire and have a by election.
An MP's job is to implement the will of the people of his electorate. That's Blueangel's point. In many constituencies, Remain won overall. Are the representatives of those constituencies (MPs) to uphold the will of their voters by voting against Brexit (if indeed they are to be given a vote, and this is the crux of the Scottish threat to annul the referendum result)?
Quote:
View Post
For a national referendum he is now obliged to implement the will of the nation.
No, he isn't. As explained above, MPs in the UK represent their own constituencies.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Latest Referendum, what will be consequences for EU (C permit and B permit) holders? expat2014 Permits/visas/government 3 11.02.2014 08:59
Importing vehicles and the VAT consequences in Switzerland from France BEFO Finance/banking/taxation 6 07.08.2013 15:11
The (Available in CH) Dog Food Review Thread meloncollie Pet corner 44 08.05.2012 20:15
Common-law marriage and consequences in CH Mishto Family matters/health 9 01.10.2011 22:03
Something for the Brits: M&S in CH mark Daily life 11 15.11.2007 12:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0