Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics
View Poll Results: What would you personally prefer to happen?
I want the UK to stay in an ever-closer union 49 23.11%
I want the UK to stay in a loosely connected EU 68 32.08%
I want the UK out because the EU is bad for the UK 22 10.38%
I want the UK out because the EU is a bad thing 23 10.85%
I want the UK out because this would be good for the rest of us 17 8.02%
I don't really care 33 15.57%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #4961  
Old 31.08.2016, 15:49
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 467
Groaned at 33 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 700 Times in 410 Posts
Reb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

baboon wrote:
Quote:
Ricky Gervais on Brexit:

"What's depressing, are the reasons behind it. There's obviously a fraction [of Leave voters] who are xenophobic and racist, but that's the way of the world. People blame foreigners. It's terrible.
"The truth is, we would've been better in. They're not going to get the Britain they want. They're dreaming. What do they think it's going to be? They're going to go back to the f****** Victorian times?
“They've been sold a lie, their life hasn't turned out like they thought, and they're blaming someone. And now they're gloating about it.”
A few funnies (depending on taste!) about Brexit.

Before the referendum:
ZDF Heute Show - The UK leaving the EU
ZDF Heute Show - The Brexit referendum and Britain
Last week tonight with John Oliver

After the referendum:
Andy Richter explains Brexit
The Daily Show with Trevor Noah
Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
Reply With Quote
  #4962  
Old 31.08.2016, 15:53
Tantra-Vanessa's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Basel
Posts: 91
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 56 Times in 35 Posts
Tantra-Vanessa is considered knowledgeableTantra-Vanessa is considered knowledgeableTantra-Vanessa is considered knowledgeable
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

If I saw that right on tele Farage is now supporting Trump's campaign... And who the f... wants Trump???!!! I am only half British through my mom, but I don't think "leave" was the good option.
Reply With Quote
  #4963  
Old 31.08.2016, 17:16
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Eschenbach, SG
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 13 Times in 2 Posts
Christi R has no particular reputation at present
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Yep. Farage is supporting Trump. I'm born American and defected, I mean naturalised, to Britain. Nearly threw something at the Tele! Farage acting like Brexit has saved the UK and we haven't even left yet. Now he's trying to mess up the U.S. too. I just don't understand this concept of 'shaking up the system' when the people who need the change are the most likely to be negatively affected.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Christi R for this useful post:
  #4964  
Old 31.08.2016, 17:31
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 963
Groaned at 43 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 2,517 Times in 1,141 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Exactly!

I can't repeat what my OH said when he saw Farage on the tv with Trump.

It's one thing to shake the system up, but to replace it with what exactly? There's a trend for 'sticking it to the man', but it's 'the man' that's doing it. Trump and Farage are both establishment in my eyes. They're definitely not your average man in the street.
Reply With Quote
  #4965  
Old 31.08.2016, 18:15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 467
Groaned at 33 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 700 Times in 410 Posts
Reb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Now he's trying to mess up the U.S. too.
He probably gets a kick out of stirring things up and influencing public opinion. He's apparently doing Europe as of September.

Nigel Farage announces European referendum tour

"Farage told POLITICO he would start a tour of European cities in September to help spread the appetite for referendums on EU membership beyond the U.K."

Meanwhile, a UK party leader has actually spoken out (perhaps May and Corbyn are too busy, or have they done so and I missed it?) on the xenophobia issue.

‘Racist’ Nigel Farage and Le Pen Should Not Be Allowed To ‘Hijack’ Brexit Vote, Tim Farron Warns

"Nigel Farage and Marine Le Pen should not be allowed to “hijack” the UK’s Brexit vote to boost racist intolerance and hate, Tim Farron has warned.

The Liberal Democrat leader is to use a speech on Wednesday to call for better protections for EU citizens living in Britain, following a spate of racist attacks since the EU referendum vote in June.

His remarks come hours after police revealed they were
investigating a possible hate crime motive for killing of a Polish man in Harlow, Essex."

Last edited by Reb77Br; 31.08.2016 at 18:42.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Reb77Br for this useful post:
  #4966  
Old 31.08.2016, 19:20
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,516
Groaned at 164 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 8,528 Times in 4,671 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
He probably gets a kick out of stirring things up and influencing public opinion. He's apparently doing Europe as of September.

Nigel Farage announces European referendum tour

"Farage told POLITICO he would start a tour of European cities in September to help spread the appetite for referendums on EU membership beyond the U.K."

Meanwhile, a UK party leader has actually spoken out (perhaps May and Corbyn are too busy, or have they done so and I missed it?) on the xenophobia issue.

‘Racist’ Nigel Farage and Le Pen Should Not Be Allowed To ‘Hijack’ Brexit Vote, Tim Farron Warns

"Nigel Farage and Marine Le Pen should not be allowed to “hijack” the UK’s Brexit vote to boost racist intolerance and hate, Tim Farron has warned.

The Liberal Democrat leader is to use a speech on Wednesday to call for better protections for EU citizens living in Britain, following a spate of racist attacks since the EU referendum vote in June.

His remarks come hours after police revealed they were
investigating a possible hate crime motive for killing of a Polish man in Harlow, Essex."
Well he is still eligible for EU paid travel expenses so long as he can mix in some MEP business.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #4967  
Old 31.08.2016, 23:33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 467
Groaned at 33 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 700 Times in 410 Posts
Reb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Speech by Tim Farron: We must not let racists hijack the EU referendum result

"...never in recent history have we, in the political classes, let down the people of this country so disastrously. … They were lied to. ...And worse than that. They were misled by lackadaisical politicians, playing games, who had campaigned for years to leave the EU – but hadn’t bothered to come up with a plan about what to do if it happened. We, the political classes, have left a country bitterly divided as a result. … because of those divisions, we are in danger of letting malevolent forces hijack the result. … there’s a new battle emerging. Between the forces of tolerant liberalism and intolerant, closed-minded nationalism. …"

Have Theresa May or Jeremy Corbyn spoken out on this issue? If they have, I must have missed it.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Reb77Br for this useful post:
  #4968  
Old 01.09.2016, 10:56
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,516
Groaned at 164 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 8,528 Times in 4,671 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Speech by Tim Farron: We must not let racists hijack the EU referendum result

"...never in recent history have we, in the political classes, let down the people of this country so disastrously. … They were lied to. ...And worse than that. They were misled by lackadaisical politicians, playing games, who had campaigned for years to leave the EU – but hadn’t bothered to come up with a plan about what to do if it happened. We, the political classes, have left a country bitterly divided as a result. … because of those divisions, we are in danger of letting malevolent forces hijack the result. … there’s a new battle emerging. Between the forces of tolerant liberalism and intolerant, closed-minded nationalism. …"

Have Theresa May or Jeremy Corbyn spoken out on this issue? If they have, I must have missed it.
"hadn’t bothered to come up with a plan about what to do if it happened." For me this is the real issue.
Has anybody seen any positive information about what happens next? I would really like to see that!

I really do not want to see any cr#p from non-Brits who have no skin in this game about how great we were to do this!
Most of my pension comes out of the UK in £ and due to Brexit I get hundreds of Francs less each month.
I really want to know when this problem will be fixed and I can get back to a normal life
Here we are over two months after the referendum and no clue about the plan to make UK great again; just platitudes
The British prime minister, Theresa May, held a special Brexit “brainstorm” cabinet meeting on Tuesday
What came out of this, who knows?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #4969  
Old 01.09.2016, 11:07
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,717
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,029 Times in 6,254 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Most of my pension comes out of the UK in £ and due to Brexit I get hundreds of Francs less each month.
Sounds like a tax avoidance scheme to me
Reply With Quote
  #4970  
Old 01.09.2016, 12:50
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,516
Groaned at 164 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 8,528 Times in 4,671 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Sounds like a tax avoidance scheme to me
Sadly not, according to the UK/Swiss double taxation agreement pensions are taxed in their country of origin
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #4971  
Old 01.09.2016, 12:56
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,717
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,029 Times in 6,254 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Sadly not, according to the UK/Swiss double taxation agreement pensions are taxed in their country of origin
Don't count your chickens as your entitled to the UK personal allowance of £10,600. It was going to be withdrawn for non - residents.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #4972  
Old 01.09.2016, 14:26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 467
Groaned at 33 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 700 Times in 410 Posts
Reb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond reputeReb77Br has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

marton wrote:
Quote:
The British prime minister, Theresa May, held a special Brexit “brainstorm” cabinet meeting on Tuesday
What came out of this, who knows?

Judging from the BBC video, David Davis was sweating.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-37232585
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Reb77Br for this useful post:
  #4973  
Old 01.09.2016, 14:30
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 3,020
Groaned at 99 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 3,745 Times in 1,935 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Reb77Br, you can make the quote show the poster by changing the starting part from
[quote
to
[quote=Reb77Br

(I've left out the closing brackets)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #4974  
Old 01.09.2016, 14:33
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 89
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 68 Times in 39 Posts
Zurichowl has made some interesting contributions
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
"hadn’t bothered to come up with a plan about what to do if it happened." For me this is the real issue.
Has anybody seen any positive information about what happens next? I would really like to see that!

I really do not want to see any cr#p from non-Brits who have no skin in this game about how great we were to do this!
Most of my pension comes out of the UK in £ and due to Brexit I get hundreds of Francs less each month.
I really want to know when this problem will be fixed and I can get back to a normal life
Here we are over two months after the referendum and no clue about the plan to make UK great again; just platitudes
The British prime minister, Theresa May, held a special Brexit “brainstorm” cabinet meeting on Tuesday
What came out of this, who knows?
The BBC News said last night that they weren't allowed anywhere near the meeting.

I think we can safely say that your pension wasn't top of the agenda. She's told everyone to make BREXIT top of the agenda for the good of the UK.

I did a quick google and here are some links (i've not read any of them):
https://www.google.ch/search?q=there...hrome&ie=UTF-8

But having your pension in another country to where you live is always a risk and the CHF has historically continually got stronger against the GBP as far as I can remember so to live in Switzerland with a GBP pension is a bit of a strange decision. Sorry.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Zurichowl for this useful post:
  #4975  
Old 01.09.2016, 17:54
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 963
Groaned at 43 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 2,517 Times in 1,141 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
But having your pension in another country to where you live is always a risk and the CHF has historically continually got stronger against the GBP as far as I can remember so to live in Switzerland with a GBP pension is a bit of a strange decision. Sorry.
And unavoidable for many of us.

One of mine is a final salary pension that has been frozen for quite a number of years, and cannot be touched until I'm 55. I've been told by 6 different financial advisors over the years, that the pension I have is 'the holy grail' of pension schemes, and to leave it exactly where it is because it's constantly outperformed the majority of the UK pension market.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #4976  
Old 01.09.2016, 17:55
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,516
Groaned at 164 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 8,528 Times in 4,671 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
The BBC News said last night that they weren't allowed anywhere near the meeting.

I think we can safely say that your pension wasn't top of the agenda. She's told everyone to make BREXIT top of the agenda for the good of the UK.

I did a quick google and here are some links (i've not read any of them):
https://www.google.ch/search?q=there...hrome&ie=UTF-8

But having your pension in another country to where you live is always a risk and the CHF has historically continually got stronger against the GBP as far as I can remember so to live in Switzerland with a GBP pension is a bit of a strange decision. Sorry.
So it is all my fault, good to know
well when you work in a country and later retire then it is easy to continue living there.
Otherwise to go back to GB means finding somewhere to live, moving all your stuff and taking the risk that the Swiss part of my pension will also collapse
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #4977  
Old 01.09.2016, 20:33
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,516
Groaned at 164 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 8,528 Times in 4,671 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
And unavoidable for many of us.

One of mine is a final salary pension that has been frozen for quite a number of years, and cannot be touched until I'm 55. I've been told by 6 different financial advisors over the years, that the pension I have is 'the holy grail' of pension schemes, and to leave it exactly where it is because it's constantly outperformed the majority of the UK pension market.
The largest one of mine is also a final salary scheme; I was voluntary /compulsory retired at 52. Came to Switzerland a year later and worked here until I was 71 and retired twice more during that time, once entirely voluntarily!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #4978  
Old 01.09.2016, 22:53
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,717
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,029 Times in 6,254 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
And unavoidable for many of us.

One of mine is a final salary pension that has been frozen for quite a number of years, and cannot be touched until I'm 55. I've been told by 6 different financial advisors over the years, that the pension I have is 'the holy grail' of pension schemes, and to leave it exactly where it is because it's constantly outperformed the majority of the UK pension market.
As it's a final salary scheme, the market has no effect on it's performance, your benefits are defined & thats what you will get & not a penny more. Of course if the scheme becomes insolvent you won't get as much as promised.
Reply With Quote
  #4979  
Old 01.09.2016, 23:46
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,516
Groaned at 164 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 8,528 Times in 4,671 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
As it's a final salary scheme, the market has no effect on it's performance, your benefits are defined & thats what you will get & not a penny more. Of course if the scheme becomes insolvent you won't get as much as promised.
"Of course if the scheme becomes insolvent you won't get as much as promised." Same as any pension scheme, nothing new here
Reply With Quote
  #4980  
Old 01.09.2016, 23:48
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,516
Groaned at 164 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 8,528 Times in 4,671 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
The BBC News said last night that they weren't allowed anywhere near the meeting.

I think we can safely say that your pension wasn't top of the agenda. She's told everyone to make BREXIT top of the agenda for the good of the UK.

I did a quick google and here are some links (i've not read any of them):
https://www.google.ch/search?q=there...hrome&ie=UTF-8

But having your pension in another country to where you live is always a risk and the CHF has historically continually got stronger against the GBP as far as I can remember so to live in Switzerland with a GBP pension is a bit of a strange decision. Sorry.
"I did a quick google and here are some links (i've not read any of them):" Why posts links you have not read
I will give you a tip; they were not worth reading, or posting
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (2 members and 1 guests)
st2lemans, baboon
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Latest Referendum, what will be consequences for EU (C permit and B permit) holders? expat2014 Permits/visas/government 3 11.02.2014 08:59
Importing vehicles and the VAT consequences in Switzerland from France BEFO Finance/banking/taxation 6 07.08.2013 15:11
The (Available in CH) Dog Food Review Thread meloncollie Pet corner 44 08.05.2012 20:15
Common-law marriage and consequences in CH Mishto Family matters/health 9 01.10.2011 22:03
Something for the Brits: M&S in CH mark Daily life 11 15.11.2007 12:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0