Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics
View Poll Results: What would you personally prefer to happen?
I want the UK to stay in an ever-closer union 49 23.11%
I want the UK to stay in a loosely connected EU 68 32.08%
I want the UK out because the EU is bad for the UK 22 10.38%
I want the UK out because the EU is a bad thing 23 10.85%
I want the UK out because this would be good for the rest of us 17 8.02%
I don't really care 33 15.57%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #5001  
Old 02.09.2016, 22:25
Loz1983's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,064
Groaned at 295 Times in 172 Posts
Thanked 5,187 Times in 1,853 Posts
Loz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I can honestly say, of all my friends, family and acquaintances, I can count on one hand the number of people who would disagree with Adam Hills' exceptionally eloquent assessment of Farage. And don't even dream of dissing Adam Hills. He's firmly in the Louis Theroux club of thinking women's top totty.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnNeWQlpjso
Really, when are they going to learn?

Oh look, it's another risqué comedian poking fun at Nigel Farrage. Who'd have thought? Or UKIP, or how about that most dangerous of topics, The Daily Mail?

Do they not see, this is why you füçking lost Brexit! You're totally out of touch! It's state sponsored comedy on the BBC and Channel 4, where back slapping comedians peddle out their politically correct agenda with cheap gags about UKIP. It's boring, it's easy, and no one cares for your smug, moralising shite.

The majority of the nation doesn't share your left of centre sanctimonious view. Please, up your game.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Loz1983 for this useful post:
  #5002  
Old 02.09.2016, 23:45
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,523
Groaned at 164 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 8,549 Times in 4,685 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Really, when are they going to learn?

Oh look, it's another risqué comedian poking fun at Nigel Farrage. Who'd have thought? Or UKIP, or how about that most dangerous of topics, The Daily Mail?

Do they not see, this is why you füçking lost Brexit! You're totally out of touch! It's state sponsored comedy on the BBC and Channel 4, where back slapping comedians peddle out their politically correct agenda with cheap gags about UKIP. It's boring, it's easy, and no one cares for your smug, moralising shite.

The majority of the nation doesn't share your left of centre sanctimonious view. Please, up your game.
"this is why you füçking lost Brexit!" You seem to be a bit over emotional here
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #5003  
Old 03.09.2016, 00:07
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 1,950
Groaned at 127 Times in 89 Posts
Thanked 3,510 Times in 1,339 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

It's underway now though, the planning. All the 'we're having a second vote' has been ditched, the financial catastrophe has been shown to be complete rubbish with sterling coming back and industry figures good.

I see David Davies has asked for limited immigration with free access to the single market. This is a good strong message that w are there to succeed let's hope we get it.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Mikers for this useful post:
  #5004  
Old 03.09.2016, 03:05
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 990
Groaned at 44 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 2,576 Times in 1,174 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
It's underway now though, the planning. All the 'we're having a second vote' has been ditched, the financial catastrophe has been shown to be complete rubbish with sterling coming back and industry figures good.
Ha!

THE planning should have begun a year ago by the Leave campaign. Financial crisis has been temporarily averted by the largest amount of quantitative easing the UK has seen since 2008 and artificially low interest rates. So GBP is weak as piss, tourists are snapping up high street bargains and industry orders have gone up to take advantage of the weakened Sterling. It's like a numpty getting a credit card and maxing it out in the first two weeks.

It's all got to be paid back. There's the rub.


Quote:
View Post
I see David Davies has asked for limited immigration with free access to the single market. This is a good strong message that w are there to succeed let's hope we get it.
You've got more chance of Santa marrying the Easter Bunny and having the Tooth Fairy and Tinkerbell as their bridesmaids.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Blueangel for this useful post:
  #5005  
Old 03.09.2016, 08:07
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 1,950
Groaned at 127 Times in 89 Posts
Thanked 3,510 Times in 1,339 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Ha!

THE planning should have begun a year ago by the Leave campaign. Financial crisis has been temporarily averted by the largest amount of quantitative easing the UK has seen since 2008 and artificially low interest rates. So GBP is weak as piss, tourists are snapping up high street bargains and industry orders have gone up to take advantage of the weakened Sterling. It's like a numpty getting a credit card and maxing it out in the first two weeks.

It's all got to be paid back. There's the rub.


You've got more chance of Santa marrying the Easter Bunny and having the Tooth Fairy and Tinkerbell as their bridesmaids.
And while your sitting atop the stage shouting 'Doomed! We're all Doomed!' Progress is being made. We will just have to watch what happens. Certainly the Eurocrats like junckner would like Britain walled off now as they are federalists but the real people that matter like Merkl have already put on a more conciliatory tone.

It might work, it might not, but the people against it can't lose now as they are in the lucky position of being on a track where if it fails you can say 'see I told you so' and if it succeeds they can say 'that would have been so much better if you had stayed in'.

I thought that industry figures were quite good as well, for the strong pound ? so I don't think it's just qe and tourists.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Mikers for this useful post:
  #5006  
Old 03.09.2016, 08:49
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,523
Groaned at 164 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 8,549 Times in 4,685 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
It's underway now though, the planning. All the 'we're having a second vote' has been ditched, the financial catastrophe has been shown to be complete rubbish with sterling coming back and industry figures good.

I see David Davies has asked for limited immigration with free access to the single market. This is a good strong message that w are there to succeed let's hope we get it.
"the financial catastrophe has been shown to be complete rubbish with sterling coming back and industry figures good."
But Brexit has not happened yet and many of the "financial wizards" who influence sterling and such believe Brexit will never happen, so there is no reason for the financial catastrophe to happen yet.
Reply With Quote
  #5007  
Old 03.09.2016, 08:52
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,523
Groaned at 164 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 8,549 Times in 4,685 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
And while your sitting atop the stage shouting 'Doomed! We're all Doomed!' Progress is being made. We will just have to watch what happens. Certainly the Eurocrats like junckner would like Britain walled off now as they are federalists but the real people that matter like Merkl have already put on a more conciliatory tone.

It might work, it might not, but the people against it can't lose now as they are in the lucky position of being on a track where if it fails you can say 'see I told you so' and if it succeeds they can say 'that would have been so much better if you had stayed in'.

I thought that industry figures were quite good as well, for the strong pound ? so I don't think it's just qe and tourists.
"real people that matter like Merkl" it is looking less and less likely that Merkl will survive the vote next year
Reply With Quote
  #5008  
Old 03.09.2016, 09:52
Phos's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH
Posts: 7,177
Groaned at 462 Times in 350 Posts
Thanked 9,364 Times in 4,926 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Bremainers will be moaning and groaning for the next coupe of centuries. At some point in the near future, the UK will effectively be burning the bridge behind it. At that point, some will finally come to terms with a new reality.

The stark reality of the UK at that point is that it will be a sovereign nation state. Politics will change. The political force that as been driving towards its national dissolution would become irrelevant in its current form. There will be an awareness of national identity and survival. People will begin to ask themselves what is best for the UK and its society. The UK will be a country again. It will thank Brexit for this.
__________________
exceptio probat regulam
Reply With Quote
  #5009  
Old 03.09.2016, 09:55
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,523
Groaned at 164 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 8,549 Times in 4,685 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Bremainers will be moaning and groaning for the next coupe of centuries. At some point in the near future, the UK will effectively be burning the bridge behind it. At that point, some will finally come to terms with a new reality.

The stark reality of the UK at that point is that it will be a sovereign nation state. Politics will change. The political force that as been driving towards its national dissolution would become irrelevant in its current form. There will be an awareness of national identity and survival. People will begin to ask themselves what is best for the UK and its society. The UK will be a country again. It will thank Brexit for this.
" The UK will be a country again. " Except for Scotland and N. Ireland
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #5010  
Old 03.09.2016, 11:50
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 990
Groaned at 44 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 2,576 Times in 1,174 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
And while your sitting atop the stage shouting 'Doomed! We're all Doomed!' Progress is being made. We will just have to watch what happens. Certainly the Eurocrats like junckner would like Britain walled off now as they are federalists but the real people that matter like Merkl have already put on a more conciliatory tone.
Strong pound my arse!

i'm not saying we're doomed. You won't find that word in any of my posts on the matter, so it can only be something lingering in the back of your mind.


I far prefer to deal in the full fat facts of the matter than trying to read the minds and intentions of other Eurocrats. We still don't know exactly what the May's Brexit team will be asking the EU for, because they haven't bothered to tell us. We are all just speculating at this point in time, but we should be used to it by now! We've only been speculating for a year!


What are the UK asking for?

The Swiss model?

The Norwegian model?

Complete exit?

Something akin to what Cameron asked for and didn't get prior to the referendum?


Those are the options, yet Bon Govie are still playing eeny meeny miny moe with them and keeping us in the dark, as per bloody usual!


Quote:
View Post
The UK will be a country again. It will thank Brexit for this.
The UK never stopped being a country but Brexit is the nearest thing that could bring this about.
Reply With Quote
  #5011  
Old 03.09.2016, 14:39
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 2,092
Groaned at 34 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 2,074 Times in 1,060 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
The stark reality of the UK at that point is that it will be a sovereign nation state.
Since you have suddenly become interested in reality:

- Norway intends to block a UK application for membership to EFTA
- Spain expects to get some control over Gibraltar in exchange for a deal
- Ireland will veto any deal that includes an international border on the island of Ireland

And to top it all any deal involving changes to the treaty (FMOP for example) would require a referendum in Ireland. There is almost no chance of getting Irish citizens to vote for an agreement that would include an international border between them and Northern Ireland, especially since they are currently commenting various events surrounding the 100 anniversary of the founding of the state and will be up until 2022.

Furthermore the vote in NI was the first time the unionist voters have voted against their party and sided with the republicans in voting to remain. And so the criteria for a Good Friday referendum are slowing coming into view.

So the start reality as you put it is that the UK, as in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, is in sunset mode. It has been ever since the Good Friday agreement and the deal whatever it may be, might just speed that process up.
__________________
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living." - Nelson Mandela
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
  #5012  
Old 03.09.2016, 14:54
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,654
Groaned at 152 Times in 118 Posts
Thanked 9,578 Times in 3,220 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
- Norway intends to block a UK application for membership to EFTA
really?
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-br...-idUSKCN10T1E0
Reply With Quote
  #5013  
Old 03.09.2016, 15:16
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 990
Groaned at 44 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 2,576 Times in 1,174 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

It makes no real difference whether they do or they don't. The UK are probably going to ask the EU for something that neither Norway or Switzerland currently have. That will cause ructions, particularly from Switzerland because they asked for it first, and have a conclusive, legally binding referendum result from 2014 to prove it.

Secondly, both Norway and Switzerland are members of the Schengen area. Is that a bargaining chip that Leave voters could swallow, or would it be the bitterest pill for the sake of single market access?

This article may be from The Telegraph, but it lays down the differences between the Swiss and Norwegian models very clearly. It was published before the referendum.

Quote:
Four reasons a post-Brexit UK can’t copy Norway or Switzerland
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...r-switzerland/
Reply With Quote
  #5014  
Old 03.09.2016, 21:02
Loz1983's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,064
Groaned at 295 Times in 172 Posts
Thanked 5,187 Times in 1,853 Posts
Loz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Meanwhile, in London today:



Poor Eddie, someone stole his pink beret. The way he tottered after him on his high heels though...

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Loz1983 for this useful post:
  #5015  
Old 03.09.2016, 21:37
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 1,950
Groaned at 127 Times in 89 Posts
Thanked 3,510 Times in 1,339 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Strong pound my arse!

i'm not saying we're doomed. You won't find that word in any of my posts on the matter, so it can only be something lingering in the back of your mind.

.
More good figures from industry http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...a-boosts-uk-g/
Reply With Quote
  #5016  
Old 03.09.2016, 23:52
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 990
Groaned at 44 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 2,576 Times in 1,174 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Any chance of providing evidence of your claim that isn't behind a paywall?
Reply With Quote
  #5017  
Old 04.09.2016, 00:31
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,523
Groaned at 164 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 8,549 Times in 4,685 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

NHS chiefs ban surgery for obese patients and smokers
Obese people will be refused operations across the NHS in an attempt to cut spending, with one authority pledging to cut procedures on an unprecedented scale.

Hospital chiefs in North Yorkshire said that anyone with a body mass index of 30 or above will be barred from routine surgery for a year. Patients may apply to be treated sooner if they shed 10 per cent of their weight.
Source

Would be nice if they got the 350 million weekly promised by the Leave campaign
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #5018  
Old 04.09.2016, 00:38
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 8,826
Groaned at 189 Times in 172 Posts
Thanked 24,359 Times in 6,546 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Any chance of providing evidence of your claim that isn't behind a paywall?
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=po...ta-boosts-uk-g

You can often get news links from google in this manner (might need cookies cleared if you're doing a few this way).
Reply With Quote
  #5019  
Old 04.09.2016, 01:48
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,778
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,094 Times in 6,293 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
NHS chiefs ban surgery for obese patients and smokers
Obese people will be refused operations across the NHS in an attempt to cut spending, with one authority pledging to cut procedures on an unprecedented scale.

Hospital chiefs in North Yorkshire said that anyone with a body mass index of 30 or above will be barred from routine surgery for a year. Patients may apply to be treated sooner if they shed 10 per cent of their weight.
Source

Would be nice if they got the 350 million weekly promised by the Leave campaign
Seems like people are expected to take some responsibility for their actions, I see this as a positive step.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #5020  
Old 04.09.2016, 08:26
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 1,950
Groaned at 127 Times in 89 Posts
Thanked 3,510 Times in 1,339 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=po...ta-boosts-uk-g

You can often get news links from google in this manner (might need cookies cleared if you're doing a few this way).
Yes or look on your mobile which doesn't get stopped.

More good news: free trade deal with Australia coming up http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...h-australia-a/
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Latest Referendum, what will be consequences for EU (C permit and B permit) holders? expat2014 Permits/visas/government 3 11.02.2014 08:59
Importing vehicles and the VAT consequences in Switzerland from France BEFO Finance/banking/taxation 6 07.08.2013 15:11
The (Available in CH) Dog Food Review Thread meloncollie Pet corner 44 08.05.2012 20:15
Common-law marriage and consequences in CH Mishto Family matters/health 9 01.10.2011 22:03
Something for the Brits: M&S in CH mark Daily life 11 15.11.2007 12:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0