Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics
View Poll Results: What would you personally prefer to happen?
I want the UK to stay in an ever-closer union 49 23.11%
I want the UK to stay in a loosely connected EU 68 32.08%
I want the UK out because the EU is bad for the UK 22 10.38%
I want the UK out because the EU is a bad thing 23 10.85%
I want the UK out because this would be good for the rest of us 17 8.02%
I don't really care 33 15.57%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #5161  
Old 09.09.2016, 11:47
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 9,688
Groaned at 73 Times in 66 Posts
Thanked 14,748 Times in 5,754 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Bitter Remain losers plan to hijack the Proms with thousands of EU flags

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/174722...s-of-eu-flags/

you couldn't make it up.
Yes but (whatever your political feelings might be) the fact they can do this and the Brexiters wave their union jacks without being gunned down and their families being put on a watch-list is part and parcel of the healthy society which has evolved in our part of the world.

Over history it's been the protesters (peaceful or otherwise) which have contributed to major changes and upheavals good and bad.

As soon as you start chipping away at that, it's a worrying step backwards.
Reply With Quote
  #5162  
Old 09.09.2016, 11:55
Phos's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH
Posts: 7,177
Groaned at 462 Times in 350 Posts
Thanked 9,365 Times in 4,926 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Yes but (whatever your political feelings might be) the fact they can do this and the Brexiters wave their union jacks without being gunned down and their families being put on a watch-list is part and parcel of the healthy society which has evolved in our part of the world.

Over history it's been the protesters (peaceful or otherwise) which have contributed to major changes and upheavals good and bad.

As soon as you start chipping away at that, it's a worrying step backwards.
Just like trolling, isn't it?
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Phos for this post:
  #5163  
Old 09.09.2016, 12:00
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 9,688
Groaned at 73 Times in 66 Posts
Thanked 14,748 Times in 5,754 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Just like trolling, isn't it?
I've never heard peaceful protests being compared to trolling before . But hey, it's "anything-goes Friday" again...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #5164  
Old 09.09.2016, 12:15
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,411
Groaned at 141 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 14,611 Times in 6,217 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Yes but (whatever your political feelings might be) the fact they can do this and the Brexiters wave their union jacks without being gunned down and their families being put on a watch-list is part and parcel of the healthy society which has evolved in our part of the world.

Over history it's been the protesters (peaceful or otherwise) which have contributed to major changes and upheavals good and bad.

As soon as you start chipping away at that, it's a worrying step backwards.
Of course. Let them protest all they want.

But I think we also need to be honest and compare like with like.

If the vote had gone the other way and Leave people had decided to hijack some event that typically sees lots of EU flags, I'm sure we'd be hearing no end to stories about bitter old white men being afraid of losing power and resorting to increasingly meaningless forms of protest and bla bla.

It just shows that the Remain campaign has no ability to introspect that they don't see that they're putting themselves in exactly the same position.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #5165  
Old 09.09.2016, 12:34
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 9,688
Groaned at 73 Times in 66 Posts
Thanked 14,748 Times in 5,754 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Of course. Let them protest all they want.

But I think we also need to be honest and compare like with like.

If the vote had gone the other way and Leave people had decided to hijack some event that typically sees lots of EU flags, I'm sure we'd be hearing no end to stories about bitter old white men being afraid of losing power and resorting to increasingly meaningless forms of protest and bla bla.

It just shows that the Remain campaign has no ability to introspect that they don't see that they're putting themselves in exactly the same position.
Whichever way the vote went I think the protests and presence of the "disgruntled other side" is necessary. If the exit was clear and unimpeded with nobody putting up obstacles and questioning policy that's bad for everyone. It needs a voice with an opposite view to temper decisions and make it more appealing to a wider population.

Of course this applies the same if the vote had gone the other way. If the "disgruntled leavers" were ignored, dismissed and labelled bitter (or whatever the current Daily Mail insult-du-jour happens to be ) and advised to suck it up and don't moan that would have been almost half the population seriously unhappy and sidelined.

Not something you want when your election rolls around.
__________________
“A hero is someone who understands the responsibility that comes with his freedom.” – Bob Dylan
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #5166  
Old 09.09.2016, 12:59
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,523
Groaned at 164 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 8,550 Times in 4,685 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
So the referendum result is the national consensus. He can also go around privately to different interests and form a consensus without involving trolls in the conversation.
"the referendum result is the national consensus" Simple Definition of consensus :an idea or opinion that is shared by all the people in a group. The referendum was a majority decision.

"go around privately to different interests and form a consensus" true, but that would only be the consensus of the people he met, not a national consensus.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #5167  
Old 09.09.2016, 13:01
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,780
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,094 Times in 6,293 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
"the referendum result is the national consensus" Simple Definition of consensus :an idea or opinion that is shared by all the people in a group. The referendum was a majority decision.

"go around privately to different interests and form a consensus" true, but that would only be the consensus of the people he met, not a national consensus.
Cant be difficult to predict what people want..... I don't see how this is so complicated.

Only the Swiss would vote to increase petrol prices & speeding fines.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #5168  
Old 09.09.2016, 13:12
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 14
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Cornerstone has no particular reputation at present
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Of course. Let them protest all they want.

But I think we also need to be honest and compare like with like.

If the vote had gone the other way and Leave people had decided to hijack some event that typically sees lots of EU flags, I'm sure we'd be hearing no end to stories about bitter old white men being afraid of losing power and resorting to increasingly meaningless forms of protest and bla bla.

It just shows that the Remain campaign has no ability to introspect that they don't see that they're putting themselves in exactly the same position.
Exactly!!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Cornerstone for this useful post:
  #5169  
Old 09.09.2016, 13:57
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,523
Groaned at 164 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 8,550 Times in 4,685 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Cant be difficult to predict what people want..... I don't see how this is so complicated.

Only the Swiss would vote to increase petrol prices & speeding fines.
"Cant be difficult to predict what people want....." Makes you wonder why countries have more than one political party if pleasing the people is so easy
Reply With Quote
  #5170  
Old 09.09.2016, 14:05
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,780
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,094 Times in 6,293 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
"Cant be difficult to predict what people want....." Makes you wonder why countries have more than one political party if pleasing the people is so easy
Everybody wants a good deal for themselves....... not difficult to figure that out, people want whatever they can have for nothing as long as someone else pays for it.
Reply With Quote
  #5171  
Old 09.09.2016, 14:06
Phos's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH
Posts: 7,177
Groaned at 462 Times in 350 Posts
Thanked 9,365 Times in 4,926 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
If the exit was clear and unimpeded with nobody putting up obstacles and questioning policy that's bad for everyone. It needs a voice with an opposite view to temper decisions and make it more appealing to a wider population.
Can you tell me if these are not true?
-The referendum was a decision, not a policy.
-Policies are set by the democratically elected government, not its opposition.
-Policies change. It can be changed by the government later, or a newly elected government.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Phos for this useful post:
  #5172  
Old 09.09.2016, 14:12
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 9,688
Groaned at 73 Times in 66 Posts
Thanked 14,748 Times in 5,754 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Can you tell me if these are not true?
-The referendum was a decision, not a policy.
Referendum was a decision. I wasn't talking about the "decision", I was referring to any related policies in the run up to and aftermath of an exit.

Quote:
View Post
-Policies are set by the democratically elected government, not its opposition.
Yes, but the "democratically elected government" usually has an ear to the ground of what's going to win votes. A bit like the whole referendum saga which kicked everything off. Ironically.

Quote:
View Post
-Policies change. It can be changed by the government later, or a newly elected government.
Yes.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #5173  
Old 09.09.2016, 14:13
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,523
Groaned at 164 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 8,550 Times in 4,685 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Can you tell me if these are not true?
-The referendum was a decision, not a policy.
-Policies are set by the democratically elected government, not its opposition.
-Policies change. It can be changed by the government later, or a newly elected government.
In a democracy the job of the opposition is to challenge policy setting to ensure transparency; the policies are clearly defined and well founded.

The role of opposition in any democracy is to ask the right questions from the government and mandate government to reply to those questions honestly. This is the basic fulcrum on which democracy runs. Democracy by design has to ensure that all voices are heard and government responds adequately and timely.
Reply With Quote
  #5174  
Old 09.09.2016, 14:15
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,523
Groaned at 164 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 8,550 Times in 4,685 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Everybody wants a good deal for themselves....... not difficult to figure that out, people want whatever they can have for nothing as long as someone else pays for it.
So the person who gets whatever for nothing is happy and the person who pays is not happy; the eternal dilemma and balancing act for Government.
Reply With Quote
  #5175  
Old 09.09.2016, 14:31
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,780
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,094 Times in 6,293 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
So the person who gets whatever for nothing is happy and the person who pays is not happy; the eternal dilemma and balancing act for Government.
Well 42% of the UK adult population receive more in benefits than they contribute & 50% of families receive considerably more than they pay. Hardly surprising that the vote was leave........
Reply With Quote
  #5176  
Old 09.09.2016, 14:37
JoeUK's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 350
Groaned at 9 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 416 Times in 228 Posts
JoeUK is considered knowledgeableJoeUK is considered knowledgeableJoeUK is considered knowledgeable
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Well 42% of the UK adult population receive more in benefits than they contribute & 50% of families receive considerably more than they pay. Hardly surprising that the vote was leave........
Surely you don't thing Brexit wil change this?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank JoeUK for this useful post:
  #5177  
Old 09.09.2016, 14:43
Phos's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH
Posts: 7,177
Groaned at 462 Times in 350 Posts
Thanked 9,365 Times in 4,926 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

There are some peripheral developments that are now brewing which should be explored by the UK government before moving forward. It would be harmful for everybody if the UK to jump in prematurely without allowing some political developments to come to their fruition.

At the moment, the UK is up against an EU dogma around FMOP and market access. This is further enforced by Juncker's diktat that no conversations should take place until Article 50. I think the UK government should work on softening these positions as much as possible before invoking Article 50.

-Immigration and FMOP is a huge issue for everybody. It is fracturing the EU, and its member states. Merkel is losing ground, and will likely receive another drubbing in the upcoming Berlin election. The UK and others need to make the EU acknowledge this growing popular sentiment.

-Visigrad states are about to embark on a nationalist movement around this same issue of FMOP and immigration.

-There are a number of upcoming elections in other countries where this is a key issue. The EU risks further considerable damage.

-Calmey-Rey is reaching out to the UK, because its in the same boat. Coalescing with other countries about this same issue would strengthen the UK's hand.

-There is a group of English Expats launching a legal case against Juncker's intransigence, calling his decision to avoid negotiations undemocratic and damaging. They need to put him on the spot. Glad to hear some expats have the clarity and the balls to acknowledge where the problems lie, and have not fully drunk EU dogmatism koolaid.

So it would take some time to exploit all these towards softening EU resistance, but it is ultimate time well spent, if it strengthens the UK's negotiating point, and gets the UK a better deal. Its smarter to go for a quality deal than reactionarism.
__________________
exceptio probat regulam
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Phos for this useful post:
  #5178  
Old 09.09.2016, 14:52
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 9,688
Groaned at 73 Times in 66 Posts
Thanked 14,748 Times in 5,754 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
-There is a group of English Expats launching a legal case against Juncker's intransigence, calling his decision to avoid negotiations undemocratic and damaging. They need to put him on the spot. Glad to hear some expats have the clarity and the balls to acknowledge where the problems lie, and have not fully drunk EU dogmatism koolaid.
Sorry to be pedantic but how do you know that those expats NOT calling out Juncker are not actually in support of it, for reasons best known to themselves or have discovered, on balance, it doesn't apply to them rather than the blanket assumption that they lack the balls to do something?

Possibly you're right but in my experience it doesn't do to assume that a group of people all think the same way. There's no accounting for peoples motivation.

Actually, I've seen it on this thread a few times...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #5179  
Old 09.09.2016, 14:55
Phos's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH
Posts: 7,177
Groaned at 462 Times in 350 Posts
Thanked 9,365 Times in 4,926 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Sorry to be pedantic but how do you know that those expats NOT calling out Juncker are not actually in support of it, for reasons best known to themselves or have discovered, on balance, it doesn't apply to them rather than the blanket assumption that they lack the balls to do something?

Possibly you're right but in my experience it doesn't do to assume that a group of people all think the same way. There's no accounting for peoples motivation.

Actually, I've seen it on this thread a few times...
The case they laid out and the statements they make clearly puts Juncker on the spot for his intransigence in ordering EVERYBODY not to talk to the UK. Which is truly what is keeping this process from moving forward, not May's government.

I believe there was a BBC link to this group. Unfortunately, I don't recall what they were calling themselves.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Phos for this useful post:
  #5180  
Old 09.09.2016, 15:02
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,411
Groaned at 141 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 14,611 Times in 6,217 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post

-Visigrad states are about to embark on a nationalist movement around this same issue of FMOP and immigration.
It's not being widely reported in the West right now but especially Orbàn is doing a lot of bridge building. He was awarded a prize in Poland for his achievements and his acceptance speech there gave many the goosebumps. At the same time he has been talking to Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Bulgaia and even Ukraine and Turkey. These days there have been many anniversaries connected to battles against the Ottomans and Orban has been visiting the sites and unveiling monuments and using this as a platform to underline how Hungary stood in solidarity with these nations in defence of Christianity and is ready to do so again (imagine Merkel even thinking of doing that). He has also been doing a bit of fence mending over past animosities caused by mutual accusations over suppression of Hungraian minorities in neigbouring countries and vice versa. This is a very emotional topic both inside Hungary and outside and one that has caused alot of hard feelings in the past. Hungary will liekly be supporting the Serbs and Bulgarians in patrollling migrant flows so they don't even reach the Hungarian border and these countries will probably be building fences of their own. He is also stretching out a hand of friendship to Turkey and has received some understanding for his position. There are some pretty big things going on and I expect this wll lead to a new powerful coalition.

And as Orban is working hard to build bridges, Merkel is carelessly burning them down.

Makes me wonder which region will be ahead in 20 years time?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Latest Referendum, what will be consequences for EU (C permit and B permit) holders? expat2014 Permits/visas/government 3 11.02.2014 08:59
Importing vehicles and the VAT consequences in Switzerland from France BEFO Finance/banking/taxation 6 07.08.2013 15:11
The (Available in CH) Dog Food Review Thread meloncollie Pet corner 44 08.05.2012 20:15
Common-law marriage and consequences in CH Mishto Family matters/health 9 01.10.2011 22:03
Something for the Brits: M&S in CH mark Daily life 11 15.11.2007 12:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0