Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics
View Poll Results: What would you personally prefer to happen?
I want the UK to stay in an ever-closer union 49 23.11%
I want the UK to stay in a loosely connected EU 68 32.08%
I want the UK out because the EU is bad for the UK 22 10.38%
I want the UK out because the EU is a bad thing 23 10.85%
I want the UK out because this would be good for the rest of us 17 8.02%
I don't really care 33 15.57%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #6101  
Old 25.10.2016, 19:00
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,518
Groaned at 164 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 8,533 Times in 4,675 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

GM warns of more cuts in Europe as Brexit bites.
The fall in sterling and softening vehicle demand will cost the company $300m in the final three months of the year.
Vauxhall’s UK plant at Ellesmere Port, which makes the Astra hatchback, is heavily reliant on EU sales, as around 80 per cent of the 120,000 cars produced at the site are exported to other member states.
GM already cut production at two mainland European plants that make models popular in Britain.

Source
Reply With Quote
  #6102  
Old 25.10.2016, 19:20
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 970
Groaned at 43 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 2,536 Times in 1,153 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Did you miss what happened in Greece in 2015? About 15 billion in lost GDP, totally incompetent negotiator, the guy is an utter twonk.
Miss it? I was there. I was in Syntagma Square on the day before, on the day, and the day after the Grexit referendum. Unfortunately clashed with my Greek mother-outlaw's birthday party in Athens. Very inconsiderate of them.
Reply With Quote
  #6103  
Old 25.10.2016, 19:51
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,739
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,047 Times in 6,269 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Vauxhall’s UK plant at Ellesmere Port, which makes the Astra hatchback, is heavily reliant on EU sales, as around 80 per cent of the 120,000 cars produced at the site are exported to other member states.
GM already cut production at two mainland European plants that make models popular in Britain.

Source
UK sales to Europe will be a doddle as the currency has dropped nearly 20%, perhaps they should invest more in the UK? European plants will loose out, even more so with a hard BREXIT.
Reply With Quote
  #6104  
Old 25.10.2016, 20:40
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,518
Groaned at 164 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 8,533 Times in 4,675 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
UK sales to Europe will be a doddle as the currency has dropped nearly 20%, perhaps they should invest more in the UK? European plants will loose out, even more so with a hard BREXIT.
Oversimplistic!

There are many supply chains that wind into Europe and back, each time they cross a frontier there will be tariffs and quotas.

Plus the impact on "just in time" supply chains due to Customs delays will also add to costs.

UK car prices were already increased due to higher cost of parts for these reasons plus the weakness of the £ when paying for EU produced parts
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #6105  
Old 25.10.2016, 22:16
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 5,106
Groaned at 188 Times in 147 Posts
Thanked 6,066 Times in 3,279 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Did you miss what happened in Greece in 2015? About 15 billion in lost GDP, totally incompetent negotiator, the guy is an utter twonk.
He might be a bad negotiator (though what kind of leverage did he have?) but defo not a twonk. That being said, it doesn't mean I'm his fan or something.
Reply With Quote
  #6106  
Old 25.10.2016, 22:23
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,461
Groaned at 50 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,225 Posts
rainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Oversimplistic!

There are many supply chains that wind into Europe and back, each time they cross a frontier there will be tariffs and quotas.

Plus the impact on "just in time" supply chains due to Customs delays will also add to costs.

UK car prices were already increased due to higher cost of parts for these reasons plus the weakness of the £ when paying for EU produced parts

At best agricultural products (when exported to the EU) would get cheaper - if the EU would let them in without tariffs...

Though, most of the raw-materials probably don't originate in the EU but in Asia/Africa anyway. But spinning-up a cottage industry of suppliers isn't something that can be done very quickly (well, I don't really know - just an educated guess. But take a look at Russia for somebody who's trying just that).
But it all relies on the assumption that the EU will let all those goods manufactured in Britain and sold at dumping prices (due to currency-effects) into the EU.
Reply With Quote
  #6107  
Old 25.10.2016, 22:47
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,518
Groaned at 164 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 8,533 Times in 4,675 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
At best agricultural products (when exported to the EU) would get cheaper - if the EU would let them in without tariffs...

Though, most of the raw-materials probably don't originate in the EU but in Asia/Africa anyway. But spinning-up a cottage industry of suppliers isn't something that can be done very quickly (well, I don't really know - just an educated guess. But take a look at Russia for somebody who's trying just that).
But it all relies on the assumption that the EU will let all those goods manufactured in Britain and sold at dumping prices (due to currency-effects) into the EU.
UK has been in the EU for a very long time and many supply chains have been built taking full advantage of the Customs free borders.

An example of the interconnections of the current supply chain is a fuel injector for diesel lorries manufactured by the US component maker Delphi.

This part uses steel from Europe which is machined in the UK before going to Germany for special heat treatment.

The injector is then assembled at Delphi’s UK plant in Stoneham, before being sold on to truckmakers based in Sweden, France or Germany.
Multiple tariffs and Customs delays would make this process very costly.

Possibly this special steel is not made in the UK and the final customers are anyway not in the UK so this part might be a candidate for conversion to full mainland Europe processing?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #6108  
Old 25.10.2016, 23:55
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 2,086
Groaned at 34 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 2,065 Times in 1,054 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
UK sales to Europe will be a doddle as the currency has dropped nearly 20%, perhaps they should invest more in the UK? European plants will loose out, even more so with a hard BREXIT.
For that to actually work though you'd need to be producing something with 100% UK inputs and even then you'd still have labor pressure due to falling purchasing power.

Most manufacturing these days is really assembly - you import parts and add some more parts to make some other components, which then might well end up being exported and imported again as part of something else. So it is not just cost in tariffs but time and uncertainty due to customs clearance.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
  #6109  
Old 26.10.2016, 00:10
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 2,086
Groaned at 34 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 2,065 Times in 1,054 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
An example of the interconnections of the current supply chain is a fuel injector for diesel lorries manufactured by the US component maker Delphi.
The simplest and craziest I've come across was a cheese maker way down in the southern tip of Ireland with no export sales - so no problem??? Wrong they ship 100% of the output 100s of tones of cheese every year to mainland U.K. for consumer packing and the back again for delivery to the Supermarket chains on a JIT model. So that is pretty well shot to pieces now.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
  #6110  
Old 26.10.2016, 09:23
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 3,028
Groaned at 99 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 3,754 Times in 1,942 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
UK sales to Europe will be a doddle as the currency has dropped nearly 20%, perhaps they should invest more in the UK? European plants will loose out, even more so with a hard BREXIT.
By that logic every country with a weak currency should be thriving and Switzerland, among others, be in a recession for decades. Reality is the exact opposite.

With a longer-term perspective, a currency isn't weak of its own accord, it's weak because the underlying economy is, it's the tail not the dog.
Reply With Quote
  #6111  
Old 26.10.2016, 09:49
Loz1983's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,061
Groaned at 294 Times in 171 Posts
Thanked 5,150 Times in 1,843 Posts
Loz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
He might be a bad negotiator (though what kind of leverage did he have?) but defo not a twonk. That being said, it doesn't mean I'm his fan or something.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Loz1983 for this useful post:
  #6112  
Old 26.10.2016, 10:09
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 89
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 68 Times in 39 Posts
Zurichowl has made some interesting contributions
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Looks like it's not all doom and gloom judging by this headline or is he just doing it to help His quote that the markets could be wrong is interesting and hardly a surprise when you see what happens on a regular basis:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...3-as-mark-car/

but for some reason you have to subscribe here, but it's available for free on facebook

Headline:

"Carney sends pound rebounding as he says markets 'mistaken' to be so gloomy on Article 50"

Last edited by Zurichowl; 26.10.2016 at 10:12. Reason: add headline
Reply With Quote
  #6113  
Old 26.10.2016, 10:14
baboon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 2,464
Groaned at 73 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 2,933 Times in 1,464 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Looks like it's not all doom and gloom judging by this headline or is he just doing it to help His quote that the markets could be wrong is interesting and hardly a surprise when you see what happens on a regular basis:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...3-as-mark-car/

but for some reason you have to subscribe here, but it's available for free on facebook

Headline:

"Carney sends pound rebounding as he says markets 'mistaken' to be so gloomy on Article 50"
You really think he has the remotest choice in this?
Reply With Quote
  #6114  
Old 26.10.2016, 10:19
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 1,943
Groaned at 127 Times in 89 Posts
Thanked 3,489 Times in 1,333 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
You really think he has the remotest choice in this?
Yes
Reply With Quote
  #6115  
Old 26.10.2016, 11:12
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,518
Groaned at 164 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 8,533 Times in 4,675 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
By that logic every country with a weak currency should be thriving and Switzerland, among others, be in a recession for decades. Reality is the exact opposite.

With a longer-term perspective, a currency isn't weak of its own accord, it's weak because the underlying economy is, it's the tail not the dog.
And to prove your point;
Swiss exports exceed level before franc’s shock rise
In the third quarter of 2016, Swiss exports reached CHF 52.5 billion, 8.1% higher than they were for the same period in 2015
The same quarter of 2014 exports reached CHF 51.7 billion, 1.5% lower than the third quarter of 2016.

Source

For the opposite view look at the economies of countries whose currencies have crashed; Venezuela, Argentina, Turkey
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #6116  
Old 26.10.2016, 11:24
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,518
Groaned at 164 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 8,533 Times in 4,675 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Looks like it's not all doom and gloom judging by this headline or is he just doing it to help His quote that the markets could be wrong is interesting and hardly a surprise when you see what happens on a regular basis:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...3-as-mark-car/

but for some reason you have to subscribe here, but it's available for free on facebook

Headline:

"Carney sends pound rebounding as he says markets 'mistaken' to be so gloomy on Article 50"
There are positive and negative forecasts all over the place.
As Carney himself said until May gives clarity about Brexit and the deal with the EU is further advanced then any forecasts have little real value.
Reply With Quote
  #6117  
Old 26.10.2016, 12:54
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 89
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 68 Times in 39 Posts
Zurichowl has made some interesting contributions
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Exactly, then why concentrate on all the UK bashing?
Reply With Quote
  #6118  
Old 26.10.2016, 13:19
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,518
Groaned at 164 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 8,533 Times in 4,675 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Exactly, then why concentrate on all the UK bashing?
Who does that?

Keeping up their high standards the Guardian has published a hitherto secret recording of a Theresa May meeting before the referendum
"Theresa May privately warned that companies would leave the UK if the country voted for Brexit during a secret audience with investment bankers a month before the EU referendum."

Source

And for those who still wrongly believe there is some sort of ultra powerful EU entity forcing laws and rules on member states then take a look at the Canadian trade agreement farce!

For those with black humour
He [David Davis] says instead the best model [for Brexit] is the Canadian Ceta deal that the EU has just struck.
Source

Actually he may prove to be correct that Brexit will also be unable to conclude a deal with the EU
Reply With Quote
  #6119  
Old 26.10.2016, 13:41
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,401
Groaned at 141 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 14,594 Times in 6,209 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
UK has been in the EU for a very long time and many supply chains have been built taking full advantage of the Customs free borders.

An example of the interconnections of the current supply chain is a fuel injector for diesel lorries manufactured by the US component maker Delphi.

This part uses steel from Europe which is machined in the UK before going to Germany for special heat treatment.

The injector is then assembled at Delphi’s UK plant in Stoneham, before being sold on to truckmakers based in Sweden, France or Germany.
Multiple tariffs and Customs delays would make this process very costly.

Possibly this special steel is not made in the UK and the final customers are anyway not in the UK so this part might be a candidate for conversion to full mainland Europe processing?
This type of multi-site manufacturing is quite typical of susbidy tourism. Manfacturers have optimized the art of extracting the maximum of subsidy and tax breaks while creating the minimum of local benefits.
Reply With Quote
  #6120  
Old 26.10.2016, 13:48
Loz1983's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 1,061
Groaned at 294 Times in 171 Posts
Thanked 5,150 Times in 1,843 Posts
Loz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond reputeLoz1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Keeping up their high standards the Guardian has published a hitherto secret recording of a Theresa May meeting before the referendum
"Theresa May privately warned that companies would leave the UK if the country voted for Brexit during a secret audience with investment bankers a month before the EU referendum."

Source
Theresa May supported Remain during the campaign. This isn't even news. Only the blubbing Graun could make this an exclusive story.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Loz1983 for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Latest Referendum, what will be consequences for EU (C permit and B permit) holders? expat2014 Permits/visas/government 3 11.02.2014 08:59
Importing vehicles and the VAT consequences in Switzerland from France BEFO Finance/banking/taxation 6 07.08.2013 15:11
The (Available in CH) Dog Food Review Thread meloncollie Pet corner 44 08.05.2012 20:15
Common-law marriage and consequences in CH Mishto Family matters/health 9 01.10.2011 22:03
Something for the Brits: M&S in CH mark Daily life 11 15.11.2007 12:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0