Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Off-Topic > Off-Topic > International affairs/politics
View Poll Results: What would you personally prefer to happen?
I want the UK to stay in an ever-closer union 49 23.11%
I want the UK to stay in a loosely connected EU 68 32.08%
I want the UK out because the EU is bad for the UK 22 10.38%
I want the UK out because the EU is a bad thing 23 10.85%
I want the UK out because this would be good for the rest of us 17 8.02%
I don't really care 33 15.57%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1121  
Old 04.06.2016, 14:37
baboon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 2,468
Groaned at 73 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 2,939 Times in 1,467 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
The UK buys more from the EU, than they sell to the EU, so actually they have an advantage at the negotiating table as they have less to loose.

There are 2 net contributors to the EU Germany & the UK, the rest are all leaches. Nothing fair about that.
47% of UK exports go to the EU. 16% of EU exports go to the UK. Which economy will be proportionately more damaged?

Plus a fair chunk of those EU exports are food....the UK has no choice but to import food. OK, the US is a partial alternative if you want hormone laden meat.
Reply With Quote
  #1122  
Old 04.06.2016, 14:43
curley's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 627
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 643 Times in 360 Posts
curley has an excellent reputationcurley has an excellent reputationcurley has an excellent reputationcurley has an excellent reputation
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
47% of UK exports go to the EU. 16% of EU exports go to the UK. Which economy will be proportionately more damaged?

Plus a fair chunk of those EU exports are food....the UK has no choice but to import food. OK, the US is a partial alternative if you want hormone laden meat.
Assuming these figures are correct, how much is 16% of the entire EU .... and 47% of UK in money?
Reply With Quote
  #1123  
Old 04.06.2016, 14:58
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,771
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,086 Times in 6,286 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
47% of UK exports go to the EU. 16% of EU exports go to the UK. Which economy will be proportionately more damaged?

Plus a fair chunk of those EU exports are food....the UK has no choice but to import food. OK, the US is a partial alternative if you want hormone laden meat.
Lets get this right 16% of the total of 28 Countries is huge v 47% of 1 country.
The EU will be far worse effected amazed you can't see that.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #1124  
Old 04.06.2016, 15:11
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,522
Groaned at 164 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 8,546 Times in 4,682 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
47% of UK exports go to the EU. 16% of EU exports go to the UK. Which economy will be proportionately more damaged?

Plus a fair chunk of those EU exports are food....the UK has no choice but to import food. OK, the US is a partial alternative if you want hormone laden meat.
"the US is a partial alternative if you want hormone laden meat." The United States is not keen on pursuing a separate free trade deal with Britain if it leaves the European Union, the US trade representative, Michael Froman said.

If Britain left the EU, Froman said, it would face the same tariffs and trade barriers as other countries outside the US free trade network.

Edit; “We’re not particularly in the market for free trade agreements with individual countries. We’re building platforms … that other countries can join over time.”

Source
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #1125  
Old 04.06.2016, 15:12
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,522
Groaned at 164 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 8,546 Times in 4,682 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Lets get this right 16% of the total of 28 Countries is huge v 47% of 1 country.
The EU will be far worse effected amazed you can't see that.
"The EU will be far worse effected " Um, still only 16%?
Reply With Quote
  #1126  
Old 04.06.2016, 17:39
baboon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 2,468
Groaned at 73 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 2,939 Times in 1,467 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Lets get this right 16% of the total of 28 Countries is huge v 47% of 1 country.
The EU will be far worse effected amazed you can't see that.
Now you surprise me as you usually have a decent grasp of some subjects. However I assume statistics are not your strong point.

Right, lets put it another way and see if you can understand it.

Exports represent almost 29% of the UK economy. So roughly 14% of UK GDP is directly dependent on exports to the rest of the EU (indirectly a factor higher than even that of course).

For the EU, external exports represent about 18% of GDP. Adjusting for the UK figures (not included in the 18% on either side), you can work out that exports to the UK account for something like 3% of the EU economy. Plus a decent slice of that is food, something the UK has no choice but to import.

Take 3% out of the EU GDP and you have a nasty recession. Take 14% out of the UK GDP and you have a real crash.
__________________
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank baboon for this useful post:
  #1127  
Old 04.06.2016, 17:51
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,771
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,086 Times in 6,286 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Now you surprise me as you usually have a decent grasp of some subjects. However I assume statistics are not your strong point.

Right, lets put it another way and see if you can understand it.

Exports represent almost 29% of the UK economy. So roughly 14% of UK GDP is directly dependent on exports to the rest of the EU (indirectly a factor higher than even that of course).

For the EU, external exports represent about 18% of GDP. Adjusting for the UK figures (not included in the 18% on either side), you can work out that exports to the UK account for something like 3% of the EU economy. Plus a decent slice of that is food, something the UK has no choice but to import.

Take 3% out of the EU GDP and you have a nasty racesion. Take 14% out of the UK GDP and you have a real crash.
I don't believe the trade will stop, I think the global exports from a temporally devalued £ will cause a boom rather than a recession.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #1128  
Old 04.06.2016, 18:08
curley's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 627
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 643 Times in 360 Posts
curley has an excellent reputationcurley has an excellent reputationcurley has an excellent reputationcurley has an excellent reputation
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Now you surprise me as you usually have a decent grasp of some subjects. However I assume statistics are not your strong point.

Right, lets put it another way and see if you can understand it.
Wonderful, famanfilms, ain't it fun to be patronized, eih? Too bad he/she couldn't tap you on the head, while writing all the above.

Quote:
View Post
I don't believe the trade will stop, I think the global exports from a temporally devalued £ will cause a boom rather than a recession.
me neither.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #1129  
Old 04.06.2016, 18:17
baboon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 2,468
Groaned at 73 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 2,939 Times in 1,467 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I don't believe the trade will stop, I think the global exports from a temporally devalued £ will cause a boom rather than a recession.
Never said it would. Just pointing out what is actually at risk.
Reply With Quote
  #1130  
Old 04.06.2016, 18:19
baboon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 2,468
Groaned at 73 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 2,939 Times in 1,467 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Wonderful, famanfilms, ain't it fun to be patronized, eih? Too bad he/she couldn't tap you on the head, while writing all the above.
Said as in that case he did make rather a dense statement and no shame as the reality is that most people have a very weak grasp of statistics. Notoriously doctors for example.
Reply With Quote
  #1131  
Old 04.06.2016, 18:33
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,771
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,086 Times in 6,286 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Said as in that case he did make rather a dense statement and no shame as the reality is that most people have a very weak grasp of statistics. Notoriously doctors for example.
Understanding what they mean is what's important, perhaps a fool would be taken in........ you obviously were
Reply With Quote
  #1132  
Old 04.06.2016, 18:50
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Lugano
Posts: 56
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 57 Times in 31 Posts
LuganoPirate is considered knowledgeableLuganoPirate is considered knowledgeableLuganoPirate is considered knowledgeable
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Lets get this right 16% of the total of 28 Countries is huge v 47% of 1 country.
The EU will be far worse effected amazed you can't see that.
The problem with percentages is they don't tell the whole truth. In pure money terms, Germany has a trade surplus with the UK of €51 bn, second only to the US at €54 bn and the whole of the EU has a surplus with the UK of € 92bn. It's so heavily in their favour that there's no way they will jeopardise that and truth is they can't afford to. They'll already have to find an additional € 12bn nett that the UK pays in so they'll be desperate for a deal.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank LuganoPirate for this useful post:
  #1133  
Old 04.06.2016, 21:07
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: At home
Posts: 4,167
Groaned at 210 Times in 135 Posts
Thanked 6,404 Times in 2,719 Posts
Faltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
they'll be desperate for a deal.
I love that in every negotiation, each part always convince themselves to be the one in the stronger position. In this particular case, I just wish good luck to every body, I'll be happy with both referendum outcomes, for different reasons. I have to admit that seeing Cameron launching an exit referendum and hoping for a no at the same time is in itself entertaining.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Faltrad for this useful post:
  #1134  
Old 05.06.2016, 00:00
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,771
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,086 Times in 6,286 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
The problem with percentages is they don't tell the whole truth. In pure money terms, Germany has a trade surplus with the UK of €51 bn, second only to the US at €54 bn and the whole of the EU has a surplus with the UK of € 92bn. It's so heavily in their favour that there's no way they will jeopardise that and truth is they can't afford to. They'll already have to find an additional € 12bn nett that the UK pays in so they'll be desperate for a deal.
If I was negotiating I would say we will let the EU have the 92 billion of surplus trade but want a credit from the EU of 12 billion so 24 billion benefit to the UK, no doubt I would accept zero payment either way in the end..
Reply With Quote
  #1135  
Old 05.06.2016, 00:20
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 11,484
Groaned at 246 Times in 157 Posts
Thanked 13,338 Times in 5,682 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
The problem with percentages is they don't tell the whole truth. In pure money terms, Germany has a trade surplus with the UK of €51 bn, second only to the US at €54 bn and the whole of the EU has a surplus with the UK of € 92bn. It's so heavily in their favour that there's no way they will jeopardise that and truth is they can't afford to. They'll already have to find an additional € 12bn nett that the UK pays in so they'll be desperate for a deal.
Those are numbers, but people are making the mistake in thinking that the trade will stop.

One difference when the UK leaves is that some goods would be subject to tariffs in both directions. I would expect that for a large part of the numbers given, the tariffs are already zero, meaning little change.

Some big numbers will be on cars and wine (hitting germany and france).

Assuming no deals to maintain zero tariffs, the UK would win out in collecting more tariffs.

Over time, you might see then a shift (for example more domestic production of cars).

A big win for the UK would be that we can tailor the tariffs with external countries.

The UK could also buy food from non-EU producers without the distortion of high EU tariffs designed to protect EU producers.
__________________
By replying to this post, you hereby grant Phil_MCR a royalty-free license to use, in any way, anything posted by you on the internet. If you do not accept, stop using EF and delete your account.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #1136  
Old 05.06.2016, 01:11
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 936
Groaned at 74 Times in 44 Posts
Thanked 916 Times in 553 Posts
yacek has an excellent reputationyacek has an excellent reputationyacek has an excellent reputationyacek has an excellent reputation
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

I think people underestimate the increased cost doing business due to overregulation coming from the EU.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank yacek for this useful post:
  #1137  
Old 05.06.2016, 01:20
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,771
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,086 Times in 6,286 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I think people underestimate the increased cost doing business due to overregulation coming from the EU.
It's huge, however for sales to the EU those regulations need to be followed.

The sooner the UK gets it's act together, sales to the EU won't be important, the world is a much bigger market than the EU.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #1138  
Old 05.06.2016, 01:21
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 980
Groaned at 43 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,165 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I have to admit that seeing Cameron launching an exit referendum and hoping for a no at the same time is in itself entertaining.
Well he had to follow through on at least one of his election promises. It's just a criminal shame this is the one.

Can't help but wonder what history will remember him for, but suspect it will be for pig bothering.

Chin chin old chap!
Reply With Quote
  #1139  
Old 05.06.2016, 12:07
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 2,088
Groaned at 34 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 2,069 Times in 1,057 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
I think people underestimate the increased cost doing business due to overregulation coming from the EU.
And I thing you need to look at the facts! The Euro Group as a whole has increased it's positive balance of trade, Italy, considered one of the sick economies has started to produce a positive balance of trade, Spain has started to reduce it's negative balance of trade and Ireland has hit record highs in exporting. Strange how all these countries seem to be able to advance while the UK continues to produce a negative balance of trade...

The EU is just a handy excuse for under performance!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
  #1140  
Old 05.06.2016, 14:50
Pixie B's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: SZ
Posts: 941
Groaned at 11 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 729 Times in 302 Posts
Blog Entries: 23
Pixie B has a reputation beyond reputePixie B has a reputation beyond reputePixie B has a reputation beyond reputePixie B has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Brexit referendum thread: potential consequences for GB, EU and the Brits in

Quote:
View Post
Happy to do some research- but in the meantime, does anyone here have the answers?

How much is child benefit in the UK?

How much in CH?

Who pays if parent lives and works in CH and kids back in UK? Apparently there was quite a hoohaa in the UK some time ago, as it was publicised that people who work in Switzerland but have kids in the UK, would have to be paid child benefit, by reciprocal arrangement, by the UK tax payer at a much higher rate than locals, as CH CB is much higher. People were up in arms about this, as expats are considered (fairly most of the time) to have much higher salaries. Can't find a link to this effect though.
Child benefit was about £70 per month in the UK. Here it is about CHF200. You don't get both. I forgot to cancel the UK one until a couple of months after we moved and I had to pay it back.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (1 members and 2 guests)
Loz1983
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Latest Referendum, what will be consequences for EU (C permit and B permit) holders? expat2014 Permits/visas/government 3 11.02.2014 08:59
Importing vehicles and the VAT consequences in Switzerland from France BEFO Finance/banking/taxation 6 07.08.2013 15:11
The (Available in CH) Dog Food Review Thread meloncollie Pet corner 44 08.05.2012 20:15
Common-law marriage and consequences in CH Mishto Family matters/health 9 01.10.2011 22:03
Something for the Brits: M&S in CH mark Daily life 11 15.11.2007 12:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0