Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Introductions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 03.06.2013, 16:20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Devon
Posts: 70
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 21 Times in 16 Posts
dreamingofswitzerland has no particular reputation at present
Re: Interview in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
When do you think you will have to move if your hubby gets the job? We have an orientation weekend in August when we meet the recolation agency to discuss our move to Zug.
Oh I really don't know. I'm dreading hubby receiving a no, so trying not to think about the fun parts like moving dates Exciting times for you though! What exactly does a relocation agency help with? Recommended areas, schools etc...? You'll have to let me know how you get on
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank dreamingofswitzerland for this useful post:
  #62  
Old 04.06.2013, 10:53
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Zug
Posts: 76
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 42 Times in 29 Posts
kswitz has made some interesting contributions
Re: Interview in Switzerland

Well lets hope you get some really good news and its very soon...would be great if we were both in the same boat and imminently moving to Zug!

Yes - the relocation agency have already provided us with a pack of information but I will be picking their knowledge on areas and schools. I'm quite keen to live in an area with quite a few ex pats tbh so maybe they can give me some pointers.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 04.06.2013, 12:05
pinki's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Basel
Posts: 204
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 117 Times in 71 Posts
pinki is considered knowledgeablepinki is considered knowledgeablepinki is considered knowledgeable
Re: Interview in Switzerland

Hello Mrs.! Just read your post and wish you and your family the best of luck. I hope everything works out. In regards to living/quality of life/etc here in Switzerland, I have been very happy here for over 13 years (grew up in Canada) and EF does provide invaluable information...sometimes to be taken with a grain of salt. I can only pass on the good advice I received before coming to Switzerland for the first time as an exchange student back in '97: it is not better, or worse, but different. As long as you keep your mind open, and allow yourself to experience the different culture, it will be a good experience. I am proud to call Switzerland my home.
__________________
Come to the dark side. We have cookies.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank pinki for this useful post:
  #64  
Old 04.06.2013, 15:08
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Zug
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Theduchess has no particular reputation at present
Re: Interview in Switzerland

We are moving to Zug at the end of September! Originally from UK but currently living in Shanghai, China. Perhaps all us newbies should arrange a coffee morning and meet up
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Theduchess for this useful post:
  #65  
Old 04.06.2013, 16:42
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Devon
Posts: 70
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 21 Times in 16 Posts
dreamingofswitzerland has no particular reputation at present
Re: Interview in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Hello Mrs.! Just read your post and wish you and your family the best of luck. I hope everything works out. In regards to living/quality of life/etc here in Switzerland, I have been very happy here for over 13 years (grew up in Canada) and EF does provide invaluable information...sometimes to be taken with a grain of salt. I can only pass on the good advice I received before coming to Switzerland for the first time as an exchange student back in '97: it is not better, or worse, but different. As long as you keep your mind open, and allow yourself to experience the different culture, it will be a good experience. I am proud to call Switzerland my home.
Ahh lovely post, thank you We have a lovely life here in Devon so I'm definitely not wanting to go thinking Switzerland will be better for us. You're very right in looking on a move as being different. I want to experience a different way of life, for the kids (and us) to live amongst and go to school with people who speak another language, to experience totally different scenery and eat different food etc etc.. I really feel it will be a good opportunity for us all. Just hoping for a big fat yes
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank dreamingofswitzerland for this useful post:
  #66  
Old 04.06.2013, 16:49
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Devon
Posts: 70
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 21 Times in 16 Posts
dreamingofswitzerland has no particular reputation at present
Re: Interview in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
We are moving to Zug at the end of September! Originally from UK but currently living in Shanghai, China. Perhaps all us newbies should arrange a coffee morning and meet up
Congratulations! A coffee morning sounds fab; I'm up for that
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank dreamingofswitzerland for this useful post:
  #67  
Old 05.06.2013, 17:45
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zug
Posts: 321
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 174 Times in 101 Posts
Sophie76 is considered knowledgeableSophie76 is considered knowledgeableSophie76 is considered knowledgeable
Re: Interview in Switzerland

There are lots of expats in and around the town of zug. Smaller towns like Baar, Cham, oberwil, walchwil, aegeri are all very popular with big expat communities as well.

Quote:
View Post
Well lets hope you get some really good news and its very soon...would be great if we were both in the same boat and imminently moving to Zug!

Yes - the relocation agency have already provided us with a pack of information but I will be picking their knowledge on areas and schools. I'm quite keen to live in an area with quite a few ex pats tbh so maybe they can give me some pointers.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Sophie76 for this useful post:
  #68  
Old 05.06.2013, 18:00
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Zug
Posts: 76
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 42 Times in 29 Posts
kswitz has made some interesting contributions
Re: Interview in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
There are lots of expats in and around the town of zug. Smaller towns like Baar, Cham, oberwil, walchwil, aegeri are all very popular with big expat communities as well.
Thanks! The agency will be placing us in temporary accomodation for the first 3 months. How will this sit with schools though? Does this mean we will be allocated a local school wherever the relocation agency places us or will my 5 year old be placed in integration classes so it won't matter?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank kswitz for this useful post:
  #69  
Old 05.06.2013, 19:56
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: near Langenthal, BE
Posts: 602
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 522 Times in 249 Posts
swisscanmom has earned some respectswisscanmom has earned some respect
Re: Interview in Switzerland

5 year olds do not always get placed into integration classes, these are often only for kids in Grades 1 or above. So it could well be that your child will be assigned to the closest Kindergarten, and you may need to move him or her again when you find a permanent place. You may be able to wait with registering though, and then just start when you get settled in a permanent location.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank swisscanmom for this useful post:
  #70  
Old 05.06.2013, 20:57
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zug
Posts: 112
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 26 Times in 22 Posts
dibbydoo has no particular reputation at present
Re: Interview in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Congratulations! A coffee morning sounds fab; I'm up for that
So I am but I'm not new to Zug - can I still come
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 05.06.2013, 21:11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Zug
Posts: 321
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 174 Times in 101 Posts
Sophie76 is considered knowledgeableSophie76 is considered knowledgeableSophie76 is considered knowledgeable
Re: Interview in Switzerland

and me?

QUOTE=dibbydoo;1897115]So I am but I'm not new to Zug - can I still come [/QUOTE]
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 05.06.2013, 23:39
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Devon
Posts: 70
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 21 Times in 16 Posts
dreamingofswitzerland has no particular reputation at present
Re: Interview in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
and me?
Quote:
View Post
So I am but I'm not new to Zug - can I still come
Of course The more the merrier!
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 10.06.2013, 10:57
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Zug
Posts: 76
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 42 Times in 29 Posts
kswitz has made some interesting contributions
Re: Interview in Switzerland

Have you heard anything?

Hoping this week is the week you recieve good news!!!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank kswitz for this useful post:
  #74  
Old 10.06.2013, 11:18
mophdmlw's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 64
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 38 Times in 21 Posts
mophdmlw has earned some respectmophdmlw has earned some respect
Re: Interview in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
5 year olds do not always get placed into integration classes, these are often only for kids in Grades 1 or above. So it could well be that your child will be assigned to the closest Kindergarten, and you may need to move him or her again when you find a permanent place. You may be able to wait with registering though, and then just start when you get settled in a permanent location.
From our experience (we moved from UK to Germany when our children were 3 and 1) a year in kindergarten should be fine for getting your child up to speed with German before starting school. It will take some patience for both you and your child (the first six months can be hard...expect some tantrums) but it will work out fine. It was the best chocie for us to go for local schools at this age.

I am starting a new job in CH next month and the recruitment process for me was quite slow. (3 rounds of interviews and 4 months from start to contact offer + another 3 months notice). My initial phone interview was back in December so be prepared to be patient. Negotiate hard once you get an offer to get as much relocation support as you can. Big costs are language classes for you and your OH and commission/deposits for apartment rental (can be close to 6 months rent upfront)...try and get these covered.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank mophdmlw for this useful post:
  #75  
Old 10.06.2013, 11:44
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Devon
Posts: 70
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 21 Times in 16 Posts
dreamingofswitzerland has no particular reputation at present
Re: Interview in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Have you heard anything?

Hoping this week is the week you recieve good news!!!
Hi! Thanks for thinking of us Nope nothing yet! The agency have told my husband he's still very much in the running, but they're still interviewing others. I'm beginning to feel a little We'll see! I'll post as soon as I hear anything x
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 10.06.2013, 11:51
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Devon
Posts: 70
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 21 Times in 16 Posts
dreamingofswitzerland has no particular reputation at present
Re: Interview in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I am starting a new job in CH next month and the recruitment process for me was quite slow. (3 rounds of interviews and 4 months from start to contact offer + another 3 months notice). My initial phone interview was back in December so be prepared to be patient. Negotiate hard once you get an offer to get as much relocation support as you can. Big costs are language classes for you and your OH and commission/deposits for apartment rental (can be close to 6 months rent upfront)...try and get these covered.
Hi. Thank you so much for your advise. I'm very pleased that you pointed out the deposit costs. I didn't realise that. This is definitely something we will talk to the employer about if my husband is offered the job.

Congrats on your new job. Where in Switzerland will you be based?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank dreamingofswitzerland for this useful post:
  #77  
Old 10.06.2013, 12:30
mophdmlw's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 64
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 38 Times in 21 Posts
mophdmlw has earned some respectmophdmlw has earned some respect
Re: Interview in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Hi. Thank you so much for your advise. I'm very pleased that you pointed out the deposit costs. I didn't realise that. This is definitely something we will talk to the employer about if my husband is offered the job.

Congrats on your new job. Where in Switzerland will you be based?
I will be based in Basel. I looked at Zug but Basel allows to to stay living just across the border in Germany which works better for our family at the moment.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank mophdmlw for this useful post:
  #78  
Old 11.06.2013, 11:40
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Devon
Posts: 70
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 21 Times in 16 Posts
dreamingofswitzerland has no particular reputation at present
Re: Interview in Switzerland

Please let today be the day I need to know ahhh!

I'm so glad I'm able to express my feelings via this forum
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 11.06.2013, 12:00
TidakApa's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Top of a Triangle
Posts: 3,009
Groaned at 42 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 5,673 Times in 2,039 Posts
TidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond reputeTidakApa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Interview in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Please let today be the day I need to know ahhh!

I'm so glad I'm able to express my feelings via this forum
This won't help the suspense, but perhaps shed a bit of light on how some Swiss companies percieve "time frames".
  • I applied for my job here in January 2009.
  • After several phone interviews I flew to Zurich for an official interview in April 2009.
  • I wasn't officially accepted for the job here until June 2009.
  • I arrived here at the end of July 2009.
....... you have been posting on this forum for one month.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank TidakApa for this useful post:
  #80  
Old 11.06.2013, 12:10
jbarwig's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Nashville -formerly Feldmeilen
Posts: 89
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 76 Times in 50 Posts
jbarwig is considered knowledgeablejbarwig is considered knowledgeablejbarwig is considered knowledgeable
Re: Interview in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Please let today be the day I need to know ahhh!

I'm so glad I'm able to express my feelings via this forum
I know that living in 'limbo land' is not fun but unfortunately, it's the corporate way! Once you receive the official notification, the wheels will move even slower.

Trust me, you'll need that time to pack up a life and prepare for another!
Sending good thoughts your way!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank jbarwig for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First job interview in Switzerland ilovemiami Employment 34 08.07.2014 12:37
Job interview thank you letters, yes or no in Switzerland ElJeFe Jobs wanted 27 13.07.2012 16:14
Please share your experience in attending interview for switzerland work permit needhelp Permits/visas/government 20 23.07.2008 22:31
Interview in Basel sandrex_ca Employment 2 09.07.2008 08:59
Interview and selection process in Switzerland Brenda Jones Employment 12 13.05.2008 18:08


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0