Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Introductions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03.12.2013, 23:49
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: I dont
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The Slovenian has no particular reputation at present
Newbie here, Slovenian looking for some help

Not relocated but will apply even for some jobs under the resume to go out of my current situation, hoping to get some info on how to use English as a primary language to get a job.

Thank you
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04.12.2013, 08:38
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Newbie here, Slovenian looking for some help

Quote:
View Post
Not relocated but will apply even for some jobs under the resume to go out of my current situation, hoping to get some info on how to use English as a primary language to get a job.

Thank you

To GET a job, the "primary" language is German or French or Italian, depending on the region, even if English is the primary language on the working place
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Wollishofener for this post:
  #3  
Old 04.12.2013, 08:50
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery-Courtion
Posts: 13,475
Groaned at 169 Times in 134 Posts
Thanked 9,605 Times in 5,488 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Newbie here, Slovenian looking for some help

Welcome to the forum. As Wollishofener says, English isn't a main language here unless you're highly skilled/qualified and can get a job with a big international company. Anything else will need a good level of German, French or Italian, depending on which part of the country you're hoping to live/work in.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04.12.2013, 09:41
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 18,069
Groaned at 924 Times in 720 Posts
Thanked 19,591 Times in 9,430 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Newbie here, Slovenian looking for some help

When in Slovenia, we get by by speaking Italian rather than English, but of course that is in the region around Trieste/Carso/Gorizia.

How's your Italian?

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04.12.2013, 16:19
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: I dont
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The Slovenian has no particular reputation at present
Re: Newbie here, Slovenian looking for some help

Quote:
View Post
When in Slovenia, we get by by speaking Italian rather than English, but of course that is in the region around Trieste/Carso/Gorizia.

How's your Italian?

Tom
I'm from Ljubljana we don't speak Italian here, but I would learn French and German while working in Switzerland, depending on the place.

I'm looking for simple jobs, just to get started like working on a gas station or construction, then transfer to something else while I learn the lingo but I noticed there aren't papers on small jobs, mostly IT and high tech..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04.12.2013, 16:46
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery-Courtion
Posts: 13,475
Groaned at 169 Times in 134 Posts
Thanked 9,605 Times in 5,488 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Newbie here, Slovenian looking for some help

But even working in construction or at a garage, you're going to need German, French or Italian. You'll need to understand instructions, read documentation, etc. Without language skills, getting a job here is very difficult.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 04.12.2013, 16:52
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 8,790
Groaned at 189 Times in 172 Posts
Thanked 24,220 Times in 6,522 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Newbie here, Slovenian looking for some help

Higher skilled jobs require less language ability (outside of English!) than lower skilled ones.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank adrianlondon for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 04.12.2013, 17:25
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: I dont
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The Slovenian has no particular reputation at present
Re: Newbie here, Slovenian looking for some help

Quote:
View Post
But even working in construction or at a garage, you're going to need German, French or Italian. You'll need to understand instructions, read documentation, etc. Without language skills, getting a job here is very difficult.
Depends on who you are working for..

If the people are from the Balkans which a good percentage construction workers are, you do not need that sufficient amount of the lingo.


The problem is that this is not stated in the description of the work.

Its hard to find the right one. Doing manual labour can be taught with minimum words and guided also..


There are other jobs probably, that require a small amount of lingo ?

There must be... ?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04.12.2013, 17:28
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 11,472
Groaned at 246 Times in 157 Posts
Thanked 13,324 Times in 5,675 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Newbie here, Slovenian looking for some help

Quote:
View Post
I'm from Ljubljana


ahem.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04.12.2013, 17:48
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Kloten
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oleole has no particular reputation at present
Re: Newbie here, Slovenian looking for some help

Welcome to EF, the Slovenian!

I truly admire your determination to find a job in Switzerland.
The sky's the limit!
I wish you all the best!

Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04.12.2013, 22:10
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Newbie here, Slovenian looking for some help

Quote:
View Post
I'm from Ljubljana we don't speak Italian here, but I would learn French and German while working in Switzerland, depending on the place.

I'm looking for simple jobs, just to get started like working on a gas station or construction, then transfer to something else while I learn the lingo but I noticed there aren't papers on small jobs, mostly IT and high tech..
The "Lingua Franca" in the construction business in the German speaking majority area is ITALIAN ! at petrol stations, the language needed is the local language, be it German or French or Italian.

As late as until 1918, the domineering language in Laibach as you well know was German. On visits to Budapest and Prag I realized that even very young people there speak German quite excellently.

People from the Kosovo speak Shkipetar (Albanian) and German but neither Serbian/Croatian nor Slovenian any longer. Turks and Arabs and Tamils etc do NOT speak any of the Balkan languages

Applications for highly qualified jobs in high-tech including IT need a minimal command of the official language of the Canton. Adverts for such jobs are in the "Stellenanzeiger" of the larger newspapers like Tages-Anzeiger and NZZ etc
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04.12.2013, 22:16
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Newbie here, Slovenian looking for some help

Quote:
View Post
Depends on who you are working for..

If the people are from the Balkans which a good percentage construction workers are, you do not need that sufficient amount of the lingo.


The problem is that this is not stated in the description of the work.

Its hard to find the right one. Doing manual labour can be taught with minimum words and guided also..


There are other jobs probably, that require a small amount of lingo ?

There must be... ?
Lots of the "Vorarbeiter / Poliere" etc are Italian-speakers, and to do with "a small amount of lingo" is not exactly their forte
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 04.12.2013, 22:39
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: I dont
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The Slovenian has no particular reputation at present
Re: Newbie here, Slovenian looking for some help

Quote:
View Post

As late as until 1918, the domineering language in Laibach as you well know was German.
That is like saying before the US had their country other languages were spoken there, so you should know them.

German language is only present if you want it in the school as the substitution for the English, my bad should have taken it, but hey as a kid you are clueless for your future..

Thanks for the papers will check them out!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank The Slovenian for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 04.12.2013, 22:40
Angela-74's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Kanton Neuchatel
Posts: 5,739
Groaned at 114 Times in 94 Posts
Thanked 5,664 Times in 2,771 Posts
Angela-74 has a reputation beyond reputeAngela-74 has a reputation beyond reputeAngela-74 has a reputation beyond reputeAngela-74 has a reputation beyond reputeAngela-74 has a reputation beyond reputeAngela-74 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Newbie here, Slovenian looking for some help

Quote:
View Post
Not relocated but will apply even for some jobs under the resume to go out of my current situation, hoping to get some info on how to use English as a primary language to get a job.

Thank you
Quote:
View Post
To GET a job, the "primary" language is German or French or Italian, depending on the region, even if English is the primary language on the working place
really Wolli... he said primary language TO GET A JOB
To OP, it all depends on your qualifications, many of us came here without speaking one of the official languages. Best wishes!!!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04.12.2013, 22:42
Angela-74's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Kanton Neuchatel
Posts: 5,739
Groaned at 114 Times in 94 Posts
Thanked 5,664 Times in 2,771 Posts
Angela-74 has a reputation beyond reputeAngela-74 has a reputation beyond reputeAngela-74 has a reputation beyond reputeAngela-74 has a reputation beyond reputeAngela-74 has a reputation beyond reputeAngela-74 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Newbie here, Slovenian looking for some help

Quote:
View Post
I'm from Ljubljana we don't speak Italian here, but I would learn French and German while working in Switzerland, depending on the place.

I'm looking for simple jobs, just to get started like working on a gas station or construction, then transfer to something else while I learn the lingo but I noticed there aren't papers on small jobs, mostly IT and high tech..
I stand corrected...it would be better to get a more specific job, otherwise it will be nearly impossible to get one if you do not speak a local language
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Angela-74 for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 04.12.2013, 23:53
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 18,069
Groaned at 924 Times in 720 Posts
Thanked 19,591 Times in 9,430 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Newbie here, Slovenian looking for some help

Quote:
View Post
many of us came here without speaking one of the official languages.
I have always spoken one of the official languages (French), and have used it at work every day I've been here (27+ years), but I've never lived in the French-speaking part!

English, I rarely use, just with my kids, a couple friends, and visiting Swedes and Norwegians.

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 04.12.2013, 23:56
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 18,069
Groaned at 924 Times in 720 Posts
Thanked 19,591 Times in 9,430 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Newbie here, Slovenian looking for some help

Quote:
View Post
As late as until 1918, the domineering language in Laibach as you well know was German.
And in Trieste was Slovene (80+%)!

So your point is?

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 05.12.2013, 00:11
Angela-74's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Kanton Neuchatel
Posts: 5,739
Groaned at 114 Times in 94 Posts
Thanked 5,664 Times in 2,771 Posts
Angela-74 has a reputation beyond reputeAngela-74 has a reputation beyond reputeAngela-74 has a reputation beyond reputeAngela-74 has a reputation beyond reputeAngela-74 has a reputation beyond reputeAngela-74 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Newbie here, Slovenian looking for some help

Quote:
View Post
I have always spoken one of the official languages (French), and have used it at work every day I've been here (27+ years), but I've never lived in the French-speaking part!

English, I rarely use, just with my kids, a couple friends, and visiting Swedes and Norwegians.

Tom
Me too, I am fluent in Italian, which I only use in social occasions and with some colleagues at work I moved into the 'wrong' part of Switzerland 'language-wise'
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Angela-74 for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 05.12.2013, 00:27
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Newbie here, Slovenian looking for some help

Quote:
View Post
That is like saying before the US had their country other languages were spoken there, so you should know them.

German language is only present if you want it in the school as the substitution for the English, my bad should have taken it, but hey as a kid you are clueless for your future..

Thanks for the papers will check them out!
No Sir, this is rubbish. The USA in those territories was the first modern country in evidence. To deny modern history is rubbish. In case of most of German speaking Switzerland people realize very well that the territories in questions were part of the Roman Empire of German Nation. People in Zürich and Bern KNOW that the two cities were Free Imperial Cities of the German Empire

Back to the USA, YES, French was spoken in La Louisiane and in many ways still IS spoken in the Southern part of Louisiana. Russian was in use in what is now Northern California and Oregon and Washington State. Spanish was the language in Southern California, New Mexico, Arizona, much of Tejas/Texas, and areas of Florida. While people in southern Lousiana in upper deducation DO learn French, people in Southern parts of Texas and in Florida etc DO learn Spanish, and of course are very well aware of the past.

Alright, I can well understand your problem with English<>German. I had the same problem in Secondary School. You had to decide between Italian and English. My preference would have been Italian, but Mum, insisting that most of our family were English speaking Texans pressed ahead with English and as I was "behind" anyway, finally repeated the 2nd Secondary Class, so that everything tuned in. No no no it was NOT a "lost" year, but a year WON

I much later on started to learn (or re-learn) Arabic, the language of my ancestors on the real father side. Yes, my accent of course was top-notch right from the start, but my real command was as miserable as the one of all the others
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05.12.2013, 00:31
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Newbie here, Slovenian looking for some help

Quote:
View Post
really Wolli... he said primary language TO GET A JOB
To OP, it all depends on your qualifications, many of us came here without speaking one of the official languages. Best wishes!!!
A) many on here got their job AT HOME and not here
B) primary language to get any job in the Canton of Zürich is German
C) as soon as any Slovene company has outlets overhere, the place to apply to a job, and in Slovene language, is in Ljubljana
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for some puppy help sammy-boy Pet corner 13 16.08.2013 15:44
Any farmers around here ? need some advice/help proksy Other/general 6 20.08.2012 16:38
NEW HERE IN SWZ - Need some help with car purchase thenewt Transportation/driving 9 26.09.2011 23:00
Looking for help hanging up some art gingerroot82 Jobs offered 1 27.07.2011 10:21
newbie looking for cycling help (dirt,roadie) [Basel/Lausanne/Aubonne] Bull_D Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 4 13.12.2009 19:07


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0