Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Introductions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08.06.2015, 16:16
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Zurich 8055
Posts: 25
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
foofdoll has made some interesting contributions
Newbie Californian Lady in Zurich

Hello EF community!

Recently relocated to Wiedikon, Zurich from Los Angeles for work just one month ago. It has been hotter here than in California! Hehehe

I'm a paraglider, salsa dancer, road cyclist, hiker, and skiier. Glad to digi-introduce myself, and look forward to making connections on EF and beyond.

Happy Monday! =)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08.06.2015, 16:21
roegner's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,038
Groaned at 87 Times in 65 Posts
Thanked 3,069 Times in 1,572 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Newbie Californian Lady in Zurich

Welcome!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 08.06.2015, 16:40
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 6,524
Groaned at 43 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 9,169 Times in 4,358 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Newbie Californian Lady in Zurich

Welcome to the Forum and Switzerland.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 08.06.2015, 17:25
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Lugano
Posts: 44
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
molisoft has earned some respectmolisoft has earned some respect
Re: Newbie Californian Lady in Zurich

Welcome ;-).
How do you find Zurich compared to LA?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank molisoft for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 08.06.2015, 18:09
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Zurich 8055
Posts: 25
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
foofdoll has made some interesting contributions
Re: Newbie Californian Lady in Zurich

Thanks all for the warm welcome!

I'll be in Zurich for at least one year, not only one month -- long enough to at least get one good season of skiing in!

>molisoft:
Zurich is much cleaner, prettier, more organized, and infinitely easier to get around without a car than LA. It's similar in cultural diversity, with a lovely melange of international folks from all walks of life, like LA. And the air is much easier to breath than in smoggy LA (except at crowded smokey CH train stations

It feels like a small city footprint with a big city amount of opportunities! From LA, it's a downsized upgrade -- from first world US to the "prime world" CH, as I call it.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank foofdoll for this useful post:
This user groans at foofdoll for this post:
  #6  
Old 08.06.2015, 18:15
noipv4's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: lugano
Posts: 177
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 66 Times in 48 Posts
noipv4 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Newbie Californian Lady in Zurich

Welcome to EF!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank noipv4 for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 08.06.2015, 18:16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Lugano
Posts: 44
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
molisoft has earned some respectmolisoft has earned some respect
Re: Newbie Californian Lady in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Thanks all for the warm welcome!

I'll be in Zurich for at least one year, not only one month -- long enough to at least get one good season of skiing in!

>molisoft:
Zurich is much cleaner, prettier, more organized, and infinitely easier to get around without a car than LA. It's similar in cultural diversity, with a lovely melange of international folks from all walks of life, like LA. And the air is much easier to breath than in smoggy LA (except at crowded smokey CH train stations

It feels like a small city footprint with a big city amount of opportunities! From LA, it's a downsized upgrade -- from first world US to the "prime world" CH, as I call it.
I guess those factors are very Swiss-specific. I hope you enjoy living here ;-).
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09.06.2015, 15:19
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Roo7 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Newbie Californian Lady in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Hello EF community!

Recently relocated to Wiedikon, Zurich from Los Angeles for work just one month ago. It has been hotter here than in California! Hehehe

I'm a paraglider, salsa dancer, road cyclist, hiker, and skiier. Glad to digi-introduce myself, and look forward to making connections on EF and beyond.

Happy Monday! =)
Welcome! you've come to the right place - you can get loads of cycling, hiking and skiing done here. not forgetting the paragliding of course. you're gonna be busy!!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Roo7 for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 09.06.2015, 17:37
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ZH
Posts: 4,438
Groaned at 55 Times in 45 Posts
Thanked 2,163 Times in 1,310 Posts
SOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Newbie Californian Lady in Zurich

Welcome and enjoy.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank SOBEIT for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 09.06.2015, 17:42
Phos's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH
Posts: 7,177
Groaned at 462 Times in 350 Posts
Thanked 9,364 Times in 4,926 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Newbie Californian Lady in Zurich

Ahhhh, the thrill of the newness of it all. May it stay with you forever. Which part of L.A., are you from?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Phos for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 10.06.2015, 14:17
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Zurich 8055
Posts: 25
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
foofdoll has made some interesting contributions
Quote:
View Post
Ahhhh, the thrill of the newness of it all. May it stay with you forever. Which part of L.A., are you from?

Thanks Phos. I wish the excitement will linger on as well!
I was living and working in Culver City for the past few years. Also, spent a couple years living in Koreatown.
Have you spent time in LA, as well?

Thanks very much to all for the warm greetings!
If anyone plans a trip to California or Los Angeles, I would love to offer tips and travel advice, as I enjoyed hosting many travelers during my time there.

Cheers! =)

Last edited by 3Wishes; 10.06.2015 at 14:55. Reason: merging consecutive replies
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10.06.2015, 14:35
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,310
Groaned at 292 Times in 196 Posts
Thanked 12,189 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Newbie Californian Lady in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Thanks Phos. I wish the excitement will linger on as well!
I was living and working in Culver City for the past few years. Also, spent a couple years living in Koreatown.
Have you spent time in LA, as well?
Sony Pictures .... or 'Ships'?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TiMow for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 10.06.2015, 14:56
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Zurich 8055
Posts: 25
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
foofdoll has made some interesting contributions
Re: Newbie Californian Lady in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Sony Pictures .... or 'Ships'?
Hi TiMow,

Nay, I was not working in the Sony "Industry". I worked for a more humbly-sized architecture firm called House and Robertson Architects, across the street from Sony. Always dreamt of crashing one of Sony's slammin' holiday parties though!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10.06.2015, 15:19
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,310
Groaned at 292 Times in 196 Posts
Thanked 12,189 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Newbie Californian Lady in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Sony Pictures .... or 'Ships'?
Quote:
View Post
Hi TiMow,

Nay, I was not working in the Sony "Industry". I worked for a more humbly-sized architecture firm called House and Robertson Architects, across the street from Sony. Always dreamt of crashing one of Sony's slammin' holiday parties though!
.... and apparently Ships, no longer exists.

I wandered about on the film lot a fair bit, but never made it to a party.
Bet the parties were better, when it was still MGM, though.
Sony Plaza, is supposedly built on the site of the famous Charlton Heston chariot race from Ben Hur.

The company I worked for also had a small contract with a firm of Architects down in the Water Gardens, S.M., but can't recall the name (possibly oriental origin?).
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12.06.2015, 11:29
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Zurich 8055
Posts: 25
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
foofdoll has made some interesting contributions
Re: Newbie Californian Lady in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
.... and apparently Ships, no longer exists.

I wandered about on the film lot a fair bit, but never made it to a party.
Bet the parties were better, when it was still MGM, though.
Sony Plaza, is supposedly built on the site of the famous Charlton Heston chariot race from Ben Hur.

The company I worked for also had a small contract with a firm of Architects down in the Water Gardens, S.M., but can't recall the name (possibly oriental origin?).
Never knew the Ben Hur trivia. Pretty cool!
Also have you seen the giant 3-sided rainbow sculpture lately on the Sony lot? Of course, a tribute to the MGM production of Wizard of Oz. If you go see it, look at all 3 sides of the rainbow pattern - youll notice one side is upside-down (instead of ROY G BIV, it goes VIB G YOR)! hahaha

Dont know any architects inside the Water Garden nowadays, the closest big firms nearby are Koning Eizenberg, Michael Folonis, Marmol Radziner..
but of course architects in SaMo are a dime a dozen!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12.06.2015, 13:45
zmaster1911's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 238
Groaned at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 155 Times in 78 Posts
zmaster1911 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Newbie Californian Lady in Zurich

welcome
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank zmaster1911 for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 12.06.2015, 14:47
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,310
Groaned at 292 Times in 196 Posts
Thanked 12,189 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Newbie Californian Lady in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Never knew the Ben Hur trivia. Pretty cool!
Also have you seen the giant 3-sided rainbow sculpture lately on the Sony lot? Of course, a tribute to the MGM production of Wizard of Oz. If you go see it, look at all 3 sides of the rainbow pattern - youll notice one side is upside-down (instead of ROY G BIV, it goes VIB G YOR)! hahaha

Dont know any architects inside the Water Garden nowadays, the closest big firms nearby are Koning Eizenberg, Michael Folonis, Marmol Radziner..
but of course architects in SaMo are a dime a dozen!

I haven't seen the rainbow - must be too recent.

Things have undoubtedly changed since my time there ..... My recollections go back to the days of burnt out buildings south of Washington; Malibu and Topanga glowing red at night; shaking and crumbling freeways; and ex-football stars losing gloves.

Interesting times.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TiMow for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 12.06.2015, 16:21
Phos's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH
Posts: 7,177
Groaned at 462 Times in 350 Posts
Thanked 9,364 Times in 4,926 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Newbie Californian Lady in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Thanks Phos. I wish the excitement will linger on as well!
I was living and working in Culver City for the past few years. Also, spent a couple years living in Koreatown.
Have you spent time in LA, as well?

Thanks very much to all for the warm greetings!
If anyone plans a trip to California or Los Angeles, I would love to offer tips and travel advice, as I enjoyed hosting many travelers during my time there.

Cheers! =)

Yup. My old stomping grounds. Let me know how you fare here moving forwards, and if you'd like any tips, advice, etc. from a fellow Angeleno. Also hanging out this weekend with other Angelenos, so you're welcome to tag along if you'd like. Cheers, while the weather is awesome!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Phos for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 14.06.2015, 09:19
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Baden
Posts: 198
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Mike23 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Newbie Californian Lady in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Hello EF community!

Recently relocated to Wiedikon, Zurich from Los Angeles for work just one month ago. It has been hotter here than in California! Hehehe

I'm a paraglider, salsa dancer, road cyclist, hiker, and skiier. Glad to digi-introduce myself, and look forward to making connections on EF and beyond.

Happy Monday! =)

From one Californian to another, welcome to Switzerland. I am originally from Orange County, but have lived in Switzerland for a little over 3 years. Please let me know if you have any questions.

P.S. I miss the Mexican food, I have yet to find anything close to Southern Californian Mexican food.

Cheers,
Mike
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Mike23 for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 16.06.2015, 12:48
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Zurich 8055
Posts: 25
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
foofdoll has made some interesting contributions
Re: Newbie Californian Lady in Zurich

>Phos
Thanks Phos for the invite! What part of LA do you hail from and where in Zurich do you live? How long have you been a Zurichian (is that how we're called?)
Judging by your EF profile, you've been a local for quite some time.

>Mike23
Thanks a bunch! I already miss the Mexican food too. It seems I didn't eat enough tacos al pastor from the taco trucks to satiate my cravings before I left LA. And the avocados here just aren't the same.
But then when I encounter the chocolate aisle at Migros, all my Cali-longings seem to disappear.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
american, california, expat, newbie, zurich




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Californian in Zurich. Let's hang out sometime gonzojive Introductions 1 10.12.2011 22:30
A Californian in Zurich AshleeO2 Introductions 52 10.09.2011 13:09
Hello there, Californian interested in Switzerland. Durandal Introductions 20 28.09.2010 16:43
Newbie-Lady in Zürich Miss-Lizzy Introductions 3 03.09.2009 16:43


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0