We're selling our Volkswagen Touran: 19.TDi Trendline. It just passed it's control in Geneva in February and it has done 136 000 km - which is nothing for a diesel. We're looking for CHF 10,900 which, if you search elsewhere you'll see is a very good price for its spec, age, condition and mileage.
Full disclosure: we've had the car since 2005 and it has been super reliable apart from two significant problems:
- The first - a year ago - was a failure of the automatic gearbox - turns out its a known problem with the "mecatronic" on these gearboxes ultimately requiring replacement. Our was replaced, so you can now sleep easy!
- The other more recent problem was with warm starting. The car has always started perfectly from cold, but recently it started taking several seconds to start from warm and that was slowly running the battery flat. We had the car checked by TCS and VW dealer and finally found that the starter motor was wearing out (drawing too much power and struggling to spin the engine fast enough). That has also just been replaced.
As a result, we're confident that you'll get reliable service from this car which is in good condition for its age.
It also has a couple of other cool/important features:
- First you'll find there are plenty of Tourans around with 5 seats, but this has the essential 7 seats.
- Second it has an unusually neat iPod integration: the iPod (in glovebox) appears as a CD changer on the stock radio, and the first 5 playlists on your ipod appear as 5 enormous CDs: very cool - easy to use and to maintain, and no CDs to clutter the car.
- Third it has an extra power socket in the bin on the dashboard where you can stash a SatNav: which avoids leaving it on display, eliminates dangling power cables, and avoids the repeated hassle of pluuging/unplugging it for every journey.
Want to know more? The usual detailed specs are below.
1.9 TDi Trendline, 7 seats, grey metallic paint, turbocharged direct injection diesel engine, direct shift automatic gearbox (DSG), radio/CD player with iPod integration, display in English (changeable), electric windows, remote central locking, airbags, air conditioning, roof rails, anti-lock braking system (ABS), power assisted brakes, electronic stability programme (ESP), power steering, fixings for ISOFIX child seats, folding tables in the rear of front seats, front central armrest, petrol tank cap unlocked from inside, multi-function display (fuel consumption, range, etc.), reading lamps, digital clock, electrically adjustable door mirrors, front seats with lumbar adjustment.
And here is the key history: registered 03/2004, regularly serviced, timing belt changed 07/2010, DSG mechatronic replaced 06/2011, passed control 02/2012, starter motor replaced 04/2012.
And some photos: