Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Language corner
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 20.09.2011, 09:35
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Essex
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dodgeydude24 has no particular reputation at present
English to Swiss-German Translation?

Hi, I am new here and wanted to ask a question.
I am writing a novel and a brief part of it is set in Switzerland. I have been to Switzerland, so I know the people and some of the culture and waht it looks like. But what I want is a translation of the following sentence:
"God bless you my lady."

Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 20.09.2011, 09:41
jrspet's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Quaint Wädenswil, Zürich, CH
Posts: 9,420
Groaned at 31 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 7,036 Times in 3,912 Posts
jrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond repute
Re: English to Swiss-German Translation?

Quote:
View Post
so you want a translation to ....
French?
German?
Italian?
or perhaps Romansch ?
Title did say:

English to Swiss-German Translation
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 20.09.2011, 09:42
grynch's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Geneva/Vaud
Posts: 5,184
Groaned at 59 Times in 55 Posts
Thanked 5,199 Times in 2,354 Posts
grynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond reputegrynch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: English to Swiss-German Translation?

Quote:
View Post
Title did say:

English to Swiss-German Translation
so... who reads titles.
( and I've deleted my post )
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 20.09.2011, 09:43
prof. taratonga's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Zürich
Posts: 2,140
Groaned at 25 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 4,027 Times in 1,282 Posts
prof. taratonga has a reputation beyond reputeprof. taratonga has a reputation beyond reputeprof. taratonga has a reputation beyond reputeprof. taratonga has a reputation beyond reputeprof. taratonga has a reputation beyond reputeprof. taratonga has a reputation beyond repute
Re: English to Swiss-German Translation?

Quote:
View Post
Hi, I am new here and wanted to ask a question.
I am writing a novel and a brief part of it is set in Switzerland. I have been to Switzerland, so I know the people and some of the culture and waht it looks like. But what I want is a translation of the following sentence:
"God bless you my lady."

Any help would be appreciated.
"Sid gsegnet gueti Frau"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 20.09.2011, 09:44
stephen_NE's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Luzern
Posts: 1,176
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1,066 Times in 506 Posts
stephen_NE has a reputation beyond reputestephen_NE has a reputation beyond reputestephen_NE has a reputation beyond reputestephen_NE has a reputation beyond repute
Re: English to Swiss-German Translation?

I think any translator will tell you that more context is needed... who is the person speaking, what historical period, upper/lower class, etc. The sentence set within the context of a paragraph would help (not that I can translate to swiss German anyway !)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 20.09.2011, 10:16
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Essex
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dodgeydude24 has no particular reputation at present
Re: English to Swiss-German Translation?

A civilian greeting a female noble in the street, with a sort of reverence.
It is set in 2011, but it is a fictitious town and the people are quite humble.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 20.09.2011, 10:36
möpp's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,227
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 1,048 Times in 535 Posts
möpp has a reputation beyond reputemöpp has a reputation beyond reputemöpp has a reputation beyond reputemöpp has a reputation beyond repute
Re: English to Swiss-German Translation?

Hmmm - difficult, if not impossible, because Switzerland does not have any nobility and therefore in 2011 no Swiss person would ever dream of greeting anybody "humbly" or reverently. A normal person - even in the most remote village - would use the greetee's full name, e.g. "Guete Tag, Frau von Bockmist" when passing her in the street
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank möpp for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 20.09.2011, 10:38
stephen_NE's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Luzern
Posts: 1,176
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1,066 Times in 506 Posts
stephen_NE has a reputation beyond reputestephen_NE has a reputation beyond reputestephen_NE has a reputation beyond reputestephen_NE has a reputation beyond repute
Re: English to Swiss-German Translation?

Quote:
View Post
A civilian greeting a female noble in the street, with a sort of reverence.
It is set in 2011, but it is a fictitious town and the people are quite humble.
You see, this is why context is so important when translating. From the "God bless you my lady" I would have sworn it was a historical novel.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 20.09.2011, 10:48
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Essex
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dodgeydude24 has no particular reputation at present
Re: English to Swiss-German Translation?

I agree with you, from the number of Swiss people that I met, they seemed like a very no nonsense people, and don't mince their words.
But, IF there was nobility, and people did revere this woman that I am writing about, then how would they greet her, especially if this woman was a local hero as well, kind of like their unoffical Queen.

If you could put yourself in to the shoes of a villager and you met someone, like the Godfather for example, but it is a woman instead, and you just wanted to pay your respects, you bow your head and say "God bless you my lady." or simply, "my lady."
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 20.09.2011, 10:56
tom tulpe's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Horgen
Posts: 1,223
Groaned at 23 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 1,409 Times in 646 Posts
tom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: English to Swiss-German Translation?

Quote:
View Post
I agree with you, from the number of Swiss people that I met, they seemed like a very no nonsense people, and don't mince their words.
But, IF there was nobility, and people did revere this woman that I am writing about, then how would they greet her, especially if this woman was a local hero as well, kind of like their unoffical Queen.

If you could put yourself in to the shoes of a villager and you met someone, like the Godfather for example, but it is a woman instead, and you just wanted to pay your respects, you bow your head and say "God bless you my lady." or simply, "my lady."
Switzerland came about when a bunch of unruly peasants got rid of their Habsburg overlords. A "local hero" would not be greeted with humble reverence - reverence is for subjects, not for free citizens.

So: Hoi [name]! should do it.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank tom tulpe for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 20.09.2011, 11:10
herc82's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,609
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 920 Times in 576 Posts
herc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond reputeherc82 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: English to Swiss-German Translation?

Quote:
View Post
I agree with you, from the number of Swiss people that I met, they seemed like a very no nonsense people, and don't mince their words.
But, IF there was nobility, and people did revere this woman that I am writing about, then how would they greet her, especially if this woman was a local hero as well, kind of like their unoffical Queen.

If you could put yourself in to the shoes of a villager and you met someone, like the Godfather for example, but it is a woman instead, and you just wanted to pay your respects, you bow your head and say "God bless you my lady." or simply, "my lady."
Well, as already said this is not usually the done thing. The closest I would come up with is "Grüessgott Frau xxx" though I have trouble to come up with an appropriate translation.. something like "hail god"...?

Not some extra-noble greeting or anything...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 20.09.2011, 11:44
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Essex
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dodgeydude24 has no particular reputation at present
Re: English to Swiss-German Translation?

I appreciate that you may not be the sort of person who would bow to a noble, even if you met the Queen of England. All I am asking, is for someone to use a little imagination and think what they would say, to show respect to a Lady, who you hold in high esteem.

If you cannot do that, then please don't reply.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 20.09.2011, 11:54
tom tulpe's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Horgen
Posts: 1,223
Groaned at 23 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 1,409 Times in 646 Posts
tom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond reputetom tulpe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: English to Swiss-German Translation?

Quote:
View Post
I appreciate that you may not be the sort of person who would bow to a noble, even if you met the Queen of England. All I am asking, is for someone to use a little imagination and think what they would say, to show respect to a Lady, who you hold in high esteem.

If you cannot do that, then please don't reply.
I appreciate that you may not be the sort of person who would change the setting of a novel, even if it were completely unsuitable. All I'm asking, is for you to use a little imagination and think what you would change, in your novel, to make a Swiss setting believable.

If you cannot handle the answers, then please don't ask.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank tom tulpe for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 20.09.2011, 12:18
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Essex
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dodgeydude24 has no particular reputation at present
Re: English to Swiss-German Translation?

Are all Swiss people as helpful as you?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 20.09.2011, 12:35
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 87
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 220 Times in 58 Posts
manny calavera has an excellent reputationmanny calavera has an excellent reputationmanny calavera has an excellent reputationmanny calavera has an excellent reputation
Re: English to Swiss-German Translation?

Quote:
View Post
Are all Swiss people as helpful as you?
You might not like it, but he is right...

The felt hierarchy here is very flat. I've lived here almost all my life and I never felt the need to "humbly" greet someone.
"Common" people are more likely to laugh at someone with an attitude that tries to suggest nobility.
Local heroes... well... that hardly exists. An average Swiss person is more likely to show jealousy than humbleness (I don't like that fact either, but that's how it is).
The closest to a local hero would probably be a successful athlete of some kind... but you wouldn't greet him humbly. You would greet him by his first name.

I met a Bundesrat a couple of times and I greeted him with "Grüezi Herr...". That is probably what you should use. "Grüezi Frau whatever"
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank manny calavera for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 25.09.2011, 15:52
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 146
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 27 Times in 24 Posts
schutsim has no particular reputation at present
Re: English to Swiss-German Translation?

Quote:
View Post
"God bless you my lady." Any help would be appreciated.
When I read the phrase it reminded me of a literal translation along the lines of a contextual farewell phrase: "Gott bhüet öich" (Bernese Swiss dialect).

But I see you want it in a contextual greeting phrase. I must admit that's more difficult. For 'my lady' I could only come up with the adapted standard german 'gnädigi Frou'. But it sounds as if from a different historical period - that was pointed out already in this thread.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 25.09.2011, 21:03
Captain Greybeard's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sarganserland / NW Lower Peninsula of NE US Midwest
Posts: 2,375
Groaned at 28 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 3,963 Times in 1,389 Posts
Captain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: English to Swiss-German Translation?

Quote:
View Post
For 'my lady' I could only come up with the adapted standard german 'gnädigi Frou'. But it sounds as if from a different historical period - that was pointed out already in this thread.
Correct. I cannot imagine anybody saying "Gnädigi Frou / Frau" in Swiss German other than for making fun of somebody. 200 years ago, maybe, but not, as dodgey requested, in 2011.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 26.09.2011, 06:25
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 16,376
Groaned at 227 Times in 176 Posts
Thanked 9,979 Times in 5,792 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: English to Swiss-German Translation?

Quote:
View Post
I appreciate that you may not be the sort of person who would bow to a noble, even if you met the Queen of England. All I am asking, is for someone to use a little imagination and think what they would say, to show respect to a Lady, who you hold in high esteem.

If you cannot do that, then please don't reply.
To take a practical example. Prince Charles on his many visits to Switzerland and Liechtenstein in English was greeted by "Good .... Sir" but in German (Standard German) by "Guten Tag Herr Mountbatten"
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Translation from English to Swiss German Derby Language corner 4 21.02.2012 19:22
English to Swiss-German Translation SusieM Language corner 12 21.02.2012 19:18
Swiss-German to English Translation hanra Language corner 12 10.05.2010 00:05


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 20:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0