Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Language corner
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11.08.2015, 21:54
peebix's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 426
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 85 Times in 60 Posts
peebix is considered knowledgeablepeebix is considered knowledgeablepeebix is considered knowledgeable
kokosmus?

What is the meaning of Kokosmus? Google Translate gives up and translates it as Kokosmus. dict.cc says no entry found...

I am trying to figure this out after being directed in shops to coconut oil when asking for Kokosmus. I have tasted Kokosmus and I know it's different. But I don't have any words to say what is different about it because I don't know what it is. It is a coconut product but unlike coconut oil, it's still solid at warm room temperature, also it tastes delicious like you somehow swapped places to become the ruler of Kokosmia who lolls around getting the finest of everything (which I definitely could not convey properly in German...)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11.08.2015, 22:20
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: At home
Posts: 4,167
Groaned at 210 Times in 135 Posts
Thanked 6,404 Times in 2,719 Posts
Faltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: kokosmus?

What is sold in the German speaking world as Kokosöl or Kokosfett is still solid and white at room temperature and fits your description.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11.08.2015, 22:24
Deep Purple's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: England
Posts: 5,147
Groaned at 15 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 5,006 Times in 2,455 Posts
Deep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond repute
Re: kokosmus?

I guess that it is coconut cream sold in a block, though tinnned or powdered may be acceptable substitutes

Last edited by Deep Purple; 11.08.2015 at 23:37.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11.08.2015, 22:32
MacGregor's Daughter's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Zug
Posts: 3,187
Groaned at 32 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,463 Posts
MacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: kokosmus?

Do you want the kokosmus I accidentally bought in Germany? I was expecting something like a sweet coconut spread ( as it was on the shelf with nutella and the like) and was bitterly disappointed to find it is something similar in taste as well as texture to coconut oil, but still somewhat different and now don't know what to do with it.

BTW At the moment coconut oil is liquid as it melts around 27 celsius.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12.08.2015, 05:05
peebix's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 426
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 85 Times in 60 Posts
peebix is considered knowledgeablepeebix is considered knowledgeablepeebix is considered knowledgeable
Re: kokosmus?

Quote:
View Post
Do you want the kokosmus I accidentally bought in Germany? I was expecting something like a sweet coconut spread ( as it was on the shelf with nutella and the like) and was bitterly disappointed to find it is something similar in taste as well as texture to coconut oil, but still somewhat different and now don't know what to do with it.
Maybe it's more of a German than a Swiss thing. I have been putting a spoon of it on fruit for dessert as an occasional change from cream. I like the texture just because (unlike coconut oil) it is solid and sits on top of the fruit. The texture is kind of like halva, not sure what else to compare it too. I couldn't find it at Alnatura or Vitrus and it does not seem to be a non-organic store type of product, even though they all have coconut oil. It is available online but I was trying to avoid the extra cost of delivery...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12.08.2015, 07:13
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zuerich
Posts: 188
Groaned at 76 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 202 Times in 92 Posts
Laurie is considered knowledgeableLaurie is considered knowledgeableLaurie is considered knowledgeable
Re: kokosmus?

Quote:
View Post
Maybe it's more of a German than a Swiss thing. I have been putting a spoon of it on fruit for dessert as an occasional change from cream. I like the texture just because (unlike coconut oil) it is solid and sits on top of the fruit. The texture is kind of like halva, not sure what else to compare it too. I couldn't find it at Alnatura or Vitrus and it does not seem to be a non-organic store type of product, even though they all have coconut oil. It is available online but I was trying to avoid the extra cost of delivery...
Is this the same ingredient needed for a proper Pina Colada or Painkiller ?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12.08.2015, 08:22
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: kokosmus?

Quote:
View Post
Maybe it's more of a German than a Swiss thing. I have been putting a spoon of it on fruit for dessert as an occasional change from cream. I like the texture just because (unlike coconut oil) it is solid and sits on top of the fruit. The texture is kind of like halva, not sure what else to compare it too. I couldn't find it at Alnatura or Vitrus and it does not seem to be a non-organic store type of product, even though they all have coconut oil. It is available online but I was trying to avoid the extra cost of delivery...



THIS http://www.bioverde.ch/product_info....99837a08a0d94b


is a nice Explanation


C-flesh, C-milk, C-butter VERMUST into a MUUS become the KOKOSNUSS-MUS
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0