Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Language corner
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 06.05.2007, 14:31
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 34
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
fargone has no particular reputation at present
SCW Sprachkurse

Has anyone tried SCW Sprachkurse school?
Also, has anyone used the Themen Neu book?

http://www.amazon.de/Themen-Bde-Bd-1...450703&sr=11-1
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 06.05.2007, 14:34
AnAustralian's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Posts: 1,201
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 557 Times in 315 Posts
Blog Entries: 3
AnAustralian is considered knowledgeableAnAustralian is considered knowledgeableAnAustralian is considered knowledgeable
Re: SCW Sprachkurse

Themen Neu are good but a little out of date, still certainly usable and cheap online. You can also get the associated tapes/cds but they are geared toward classroom teaching.

Themen Aktuell is what replaced Neu from memory. These are the books used in most reputable german teaching schools.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank AnAustralian for this useful post:
  #43  
Old 11.05.2007, 16:32
UncleMike988's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Baden
Posts: 81
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 110 Times in 44 Posts
UncleMike988 has earned the respect of manyUncleMike988 has earned the respect of manyUncleMike988 has earned the respect of many
Re: [German] Which is the best school in Zurich?

I've just signed up for the Migros intensive (i.e. 9am-10.50am five days a week) German course. That cost 396 CHF for the course, plus 12 CHF for the beginner's (children's ?) book and CD.

One of my colleagues recommended the Migros Schule, but, looking around the web at it's reviews, it does all depend on which teacher you get.


I would also highly recommend the Michel Thomas German Foundation CD course. I used the French one before, and they are the best way to learn a language from scratch.

They're expensive (about £70 for the 8-CD foundation course) but you can find them half price at Amazon.co.uk, play.com, WH Smiths sometimes, and some other sites.

The best thing about them is that he introduces a new verb or phrase, then gets his two students to use them. So you hear them struggle, just as you would, and hear their mistakes. And Michel Thomas will keep coming back, getting you to re-use the words later on.

It works, it really works. And you don't have to do any reading/writing. Just sit back, relax, and listen.

Far better than the "Learn German in your car" style CDs which just seem to be a couple of locals reading off a list of words to remember !!

Oh, and you'll also find the Michel Thomas Vocab Builder CDs. Avoid these, until you've at least done the foundation course stuff. They'll blow your mind otherwise - they're a lot faster paced.

Hope this helps,


Mike
(Who'd never spoken a word of German until 5 weeks ago..)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank UncleMike988 for this useful post:
  #44  
Old 11.05.2007, 23:42
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 34
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
fargone has no particular reputation at present
Re: [German] Which is the best school in Zurich?

Quote:
View Post
...
I would also highly recommend the Michel Thomas German Foundation CD course. I used the French one before, and they are the best way to learn a language from scratch.

They're expensive (about £70 for the 8-CD foundation course) but you can find them half price at Amazon.co.uk, play.com, WH Smiths sometimes, and some other sites.

The best thing about them is that he introduces a new verb or phrase, then gets his two students to use them. So you hear them struggle, just as you would, and hear their mistakes. And Michel Thomas will keep coming back, getting you to re-use the words later on.

It works, it really works. And you don't have to do any reading/writing. Just sit back, relax, and listen.

Far better than the "Learn German in your car" style CDs which just seem to be a couple of locals reading off a list of words to remember !!

Oh, and you'll also find the Michel Thomas Vocab Builder CDs. Avoid these, until you've at least done the foundation course stuff. They'll blow your mind otherwise - they're a lot faster paced....
I can vouch for the Michel Thomas course. His method is very unorthodox but it involves a lot of conversation drills and he constantly asks the students how do you say....
I was a little troubled that the course doesn't even teach you the abc's, numbers and he doesn't even teach you how to introduce yourself!! Instead, he focuses on basic practical sentence building in such a way that you can go out and ask basic questions. The tense is 90% present, 10% imperfect.
I would say the major weakness of the course is that it doesn't teach grammar, prepositions, connectors and, of course, the range of vocabulary is limited. Putting these aside, the course is excellent and the vocabulary which he teaches are common things that you will need. I'm glad you mentioned the Vocabulary builder because I didn't realise this was available.
For a quick way to get off your feet, this course is what you need. But to learn how to speak the language in the "proper" way, you probably can't get away from a proper course.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 13.05.2007, 01:04
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Au [ZH]
Posts: 37
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
JakoberAD has no particular reputation at present
Re: [German] Which is the best school in Zurich?

Dear Mike thank you very much for the info. I will try and see if I can learn this difficult language. Take care and have fun. Life is short remember!!!
Quote:
View Post
I've just signed up for the Migros intensive (i.e. 9am-10.50am five days a week) German course. That cost 396 CHF for the course, plus 12 CHF for the beginner's (children's ?) book and CD.

One of my colleagues recommended the Migros Schule, but, looking around the web at it's reviews, it does all depend on which teacher you get.


I would also highly recommend the Michel Thomas German Foundation CD course. I used the French one before, and they are the best way to learn a language from scratch.

They're expensive (about £70 for the 8-CD foundation course) but you can find them half price at Amazon.co.uk, play.com, WH Smiths sometimes, and some other sites.

The best thing about them is that he introduces a new verb or phrase, then gets his two students to use them. So you hear them struggle, just as you would, and hear their mistakes. And Michel Thomas will keep coming back, getting you to re-use the words later on.

It works, it really works. And you don't have to do any reading/writing. Just sit back, relax, and listen.

Far better than the "Learn German in your car" style CDs which just seem to be a couple of locals reading off a list of words to remember !!

Oh, and you'll also find the Michel Thomas Vocab Builder CDs. Avoid these, until you've at least done the foundation course stuff. They'll blow your mind otherwise - they're a lot faster paced.

Hope this helps,


Mike
(Who'd never spoken a word of German until 5 weeks ago..)
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 18.05.2007, 09:42
UncleMike988's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Baden
Posts: 81
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 110 Times in 44 Posts
UncleMike988 has earned the respect of manyUncleMike988 has earned the respect of manyUncleMike988 has earned the respect of many
Re: [German] Which is the best school in Zurich?

Migros Klubschule

The most frustrating thing about the "Migros Klubschule" German course is that it's slow. The teachers don't speak English to the class, they only speak German.

The result is that (certainly for the first few lessons), you're learning extremely basic German - what is your name, how old are you, etc - but will be wasting plenty of time doing playschool-style games to properly learn these phrases. In the most recent class, we were singing Playschool-style songs to reiterate the whole "My name is.." subject. Dire.. just dire.

For me, I found the hardest thing was understanding the teacher's instructions. If you're teaching a Beginner's class some basic phrases like "My name is.." then you shouldn't be expecting them to understand "open your exercise books, work in two's, do exercise B, swap your answers, this section is homework, etc etc.."

I really regret opting for Klubschule rather than a German course specifically for English-speaking people. So far, I've done six hours of lessons, and have achieved about the same as 15 minutes of learning at home. That's just a waste of time and money.

In fact, my "Learn German in 15 minutes a day" book covers those six hours in the first 4 pages.

Michel Thomas would not be pleased with my progress so far..!


Avoid.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 18.05.2007, 10:03
AnAustralian's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Posts: 1,201
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 557 Times in 315 Posts
Blog Entries: 3
AnAustralian is considered knowledgeableAnAustralian is considered knowledgeableAnAustralian is considered knowledgeable
Re: [German] Which is the best school in Zurich?

I can understand your frustrations, however, I have experienced both sides. I learnt at the Goethe Institut in Australia in which classes did speak english. I found this to be a "cop out" and did not force you to learn the language as you could always revert back to your mother tongue. When I arrived in Switzerland I went to Klubschule, and we spoke German only. I must admit I did not start at the basic level there but being forced to converse in geman for the full day five days a week really imparted the language. Although the downside I found was getting so indepth into the language every single day was stressful as it was hard to motivate myself to learn so much in so little time in particular with a language that is hard to learn.

Overall my experience at Klubschule was a positive one.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 18.05.2007, 11:03
hayley's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Zürich 8050
Posts: 153
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 66 Times in 25 Posts
hayley has made some interesting contributions
Re: [German] Which is the best school in Zurich?

Just as an aside, are all courses following the same levels...

What I mean is, I am doing an independent course at the Horgen BZZ (further education college) and our courses are called A1, A2 etc, is this standardised across the board?

Who was it who wrote they got from A1 to B2 in about 6 weeks? I have been taking lessons since January and we are just on A2 now!!! (it is only 2hours a week though....)
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 18.05.2007, 11:16
Nanda's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Zurich
Posts: 813
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 165 Times in 114 Posts
Nanda has earned the respect of manyNanda has earned the respect of manyNanda has earned the respect of many
Re: [German] Which is the best school in Zurich?

Yeah most courses follow the Goethe Institute levels or A1, A2, B1 ...

It's complicated to pick a course because it depends on many things like how much practice you get outside of school and your mother-tongue. When you're first starting, those that start using German and picking it up at work and socially improve really quickly as opposed to those that use it just at class time.

I too started with Migros Klubschule. Our temp teacher was a lot better than the normal one and the class size was 15. I wasn't impressed.

I then went to Sprachwelten which I wholly recommend. I love the atmosphere there and I now hear that they offer baby-sitting services (think it's even free).


Cheers,
Nanda.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 18.05.2007, 11:21
Nanda's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Zurich
Posts: 813
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 165 Times in 114 Posts
Nanda has earned the respect of manyNanda has earned the respect of manyNanda has earned the respect of many
Re: [German] Which is the best school in Zurich?

Quote:
View Post
I can understand your frustrations, however, I have experienced both sides. I learnt at the Goethe Institut in Australia in which classes did speak english. I found this to be a "cop out" and did not force you to learn the language as you could always revert back to your mother tongue.
I don't think you'll find many classes here where english is mainly spoken. I've been through 4 schools and the one that had the most english was when a group of friends joined and they kept talking to each other during class much to the teacher's indignation. She then even started a kitty - 10 rappen for every english word used.

Usually some english is spoken for clarification but it's been fairly minimal.

The grammar book that I recommended before in this thread even has explanations (usage) in english which I find really useful as I'm always trying to find parallels to what I already understand/use.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 18.05.2007, 11:30
AnAustralian's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Posts: 1,201
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 557 Times in 315 Posts
Blog Entries: 3
AnAustralian is considered knowledgeableAnAustralian is considered knowledgeableAnAustralian is considered knowledgeable
Re: [German] Which is the best school in Zurich?

Quote:
View Post
I don't think you'll find many classes here where english is mainly spoken. I've been through 4 schools and the one that had the most english was when a group of friends joined and they kept talking to each other during class much to the teacher's indignation. She then even started a kitty - 10 rappen for every english word used.

Usually some english is spoken for clarification but it's been fairly minimal.

The grammar book that I recommended before in this thread even has explanations (usage) in english which I find really useful as I'm always trying to find parallels to what I already understand/use.
Hi Nanda

That was my experience also. In Migros we had about 8 people on average in our class, it was well handled and managed, this was at Oerlikon.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 18.05.2007, 18:17
snowtiger's Avatar
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
snowtiger has no particular reputation at present
Re: [German] Which is the best school in Zurich?

I have tried 2 schools in Zürich, but I am finding both schools too slow. Or maybe I just got lousy teachers....I don't want to hear the basic "My name is...I come from..." over and over and over again.

I am deciding between Alpha Sprachstudio and Oekos. Does anyone know which one is better?
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 18.05.2007, 18:20
LeeD's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 583
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 191 Times in 119 Posts
LeeD has earned some respectLeeD has earned some respect
Re: [German] Which is the best school in Zurich?

I went to Alpha at stadelhofen for 4 months and found it really good as the classes are quite small, max approx 10 people. Would definatly recommend it but I dont know about Oekos.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 18.05.2007, 18:27
snowtiger's Avatar
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
snowtiger has no particular reputation at present
Re: [German] Which is the best school in Zurich?

Thanks for the quick response!
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 30.05.2007, 19:11
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ChangedByAMod026 has no particular reputation at present
Re: [German] Which is the best German school in Zurich?

u must be talking about this little pizzaiolo...

http://www.benedict.ch/html_php/news...z-benedict.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 06.07.2007, 16:40
EOC EOC is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
EOC has no particular reputation at present
Migros klubschule or Benedict?

Hi guys,

I´ve just moved to Zurich and I want to join an intensive course to learn German. I´m thinking about these two (Migros or Benedict), any idea/suggestions?

Cheers!
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 06.07.2007, 16:43
Uncle Max's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Züri
Posts: 7,390
Groaned at 160 Times in 109 Posts
Thanked 7,735 Times in 3,203 Posts
Uncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Migros klubschule or Benedict?

There're a few suggestions you may wish to consider on other threads where this topic has been discussed before. Click on the search option on the menu -bar and see if this helps. Good Luck. And don't go to Benedikt
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 06.07.2007, 16:48
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Appenzell
Posts: 5,608
Groaned at 109 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 2,220 Times in 1,324 Posts
DaveA has an excellent reputationDaveA has an excellent reputationDaveA has an excellent reputationDaveA has an excellent reputation
Re: Migros klubschule or Benedict?

Yes it has. And go to Klubschule.

dave

Quote:
View Post
There're a few suggestions you may wish to consider on other threads where this topic has been discussed before. Click on the search option on the menu -bar and see if this helps. Good Luck. And don't go to Benedikt
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 06.07.2007, 16:50
thekelves's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 47
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
thekelves has become a little unpopular
Re: Migros klubschule or Benedict?

hello there,
I'm currently attending migros klubschule and i think its great. my wife also went there to learn english. migros is really well known by a lot of people.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 06.07.2007, 16:51
EOC EOC is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
EOC has no particular reputation at present
Re: Migros klubschule or Benedict?

Quote:
View Post
There're a few suggestions you may wish to consider on other threads where this topic has been discussed before. Click on the search option on the menu -bar and see if this helps. Good Luck. And don't go to Benedikt
Thanks uncle Max,

As you can see, I'm a Newbie and I'm still learing how to find useful threads...thanks for the tips!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
alpha sprachstudio, classes, intensive, learn german zurich, lessons




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where to borrow, buy and donate second-hand english books in Zurich Nanda Other/general 6 20.01.2016 12:13
School uniforms mark Family matters/health 26 03.03.2008 14:55
Grand Rapids MI to Manchester to Zurich doglover Introductions 6 05.04.2007 10:18
looking for help with school Biel/Bienne felz12 Family matters/health 3 07.03.2007 21:00
Zurich - An Opportunity?? aa_248 Employment 15 14.11.2006 01:35


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 21:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0