Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Other/general
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 26.10.2013, 10:34
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Olten
Posts: 152
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 60 Times in 36 Posts
camembert has earned some respectcamembert has earned some respect
Re: Rolex: servicing/repair

Quote:
View Post
Just to close the loop...
The friend eventually decided that sending the watch to Brussels would be too complicated so let Rolex Geneva carry out the servicing. This is what their estimate was:

Cette montre se trouve maintenant dans nos ateliers où elle a été examinéepar nos experts. Leur rapport à l'appui, nous avons l'avantage de vous soumettre le devispour sa remise en état :

Révision complète incl. polissage de la boîte et du bracelet

CHF 555.55

+ TVA 8 %



CHF 44.40

Total TVA incluse

CHF 599.95

Tous les prix des composants sontcalculés sur une base d'échange.
La révisioncomplète comprend les travaux suivants :
déboîtage, démontage des aiguilles et du cadran, démontage complet du mouvement,contrôle et nettoyage de chaque composant, remplacement des pièces usées,remontage, huilage et réglage du mouvement, pose cadran et aiguilles, emboîtageavec remplacement de tous les joints, contrôle de l'étanchéité, observationde la montre terminée pendant plusieurs jours.

Délai de livraison : 4 semainesdès réception de votre accord.
Garantie: 2 Ans

The actual amount paid was the same as the estimated amount.
Had similar issue -- Rolex purchased in 1993-- never serviced.... wore it most of the time and within the past 5 years or so I wouldn't wear it so often so I would always have to wind it to get it going again but then last year it just stopped ticking.

Was worried that bringing it to a Rolex Dealer would cost a lot but was only charged about 350 Euros -- turns out I needed a new part and then I was able to get a new glass face for the watch which I paid 80 Euros for. This was in Vienna, Austria and they sent the watch off to Switzerland. Got it back in 4 weeks. Excellent service! The watch never really looked worn out but it really did look like new when I got it back.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 09.05.2015, 16:49
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,015
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,005 Times in 1,156 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rolex: servicing/repair

To revive the thread: I sent my Submariner in for a service and a bezel replacement. Have no idea how much it's going to cost as I haven't received a quote yet. I sent it directly to Rolex in Geneva - and was somewhat surprised that they actually left it sitting in their P.O. box for almost 4 days before they bothered picking it up (at least according to the swiss post tracking service :-/
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 09.05.2015, 17:14
Sbrinz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 10,969
Groaned at 542 Times in 342 Posts
Thanked 10,573 Times in 5,408 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rolex: servicing/repair

Quote:
View Post
Any recommendations for an 'independent' Omega (Seamaster) service? The crown winder no longer works, only the self winder.
My daughter asked me to get her Gucci watch repaired, she was quoted £250 in the UK. I sent it to this company below, following their procedure: they very quickly replied by e-mail, that the whole movement was rusty and a replacement Tissot quartz movement & battery would cost €99. I did the deal, and about 10 days later I received the watch at LAS Burg. Daughter was very pleased!

Note 1: If you do not accept the quotation, you are liable for postage both ways. They specialise in mechanical watches, using German craftsmen.

Note 2: they only work within Germany, so you need the packet station address such as LAS Burg (Which I am sure you have) & conveniently the German post office is just across the road from LAS Burg!

Note 3: they ask you to value the watch for postal insurance purposes: so make the value more than €200 as they won't repair cheap watches.

http://www.uhrreparatur-online.de/
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sbrinz for this useful post:
  #44  
Old 09.05.2015, 19:56
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,015
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,005 Times in 1,156 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rolex: servicing/repair

Quote:
View Post
My daughter asked me to get her Gucci watch repaired, she was quoted £250 in the UK. I sent it to this company below, following their procedure: they very quickly replied by e-mail, that the whole movement was rusty and a replacement Tissot quartz movement & battery would cost €99. I did the deal, and about 10 days later I received the watch at LAS Burg. Daughter was very pleased!

Note 1: If you do not accept the quotation, you are liable for postage both ways. They specialise in mechanical watches, using German craftsmen.

Note 2: they only work within Germany, so you need the packet station address such as LAS Burg (Which I am sure you have) & conveniently the German post office is just across the road from LAS Burg!

Note 3: they ask you to value the watch for postal insurance purposes: so make the value more than €200 as they won't repair cheap watches.

http://www.uhrreparatur-online.de/

I'm guessing Castro probably got his watch fixed years ago :-)

I found that you can get pretty much any watch serviced at any independent watchmaker. Rolex and (soon) Tudor are exceptions as they don't seem to be very forthcoming when it comes to supplying watchmakers with replacement parts for their in-house movements.

Anything Swatch Group is no problem at all and expensive services with the company can usually be avoided. But on the other hand, Omega has flat fees for most revisions - and charges considerably less than Rolex. Rolex do have an insane degree of reliability, however, and often, watches coming back from service look like new.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 09.05.2015, 20:05
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 3,750
Groaned at 484 Times in 294 Posts
Thanked 4,002 Times in 1,992 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rolex: servicing/repair

Quote:
View Post
I'm guessing Castro probably got his watch fixed years ago :-)

I found that you can get pretty much any watch serviced at any independent watchmaker. Rolex and (soon) Tudor are exceptions as they don't seem to be very forthcoming when it comes to supplying watchmakers with replacement parts for their in-house movements.

Anything Swatch Group is no problem at all and expensive services with the company can usually be avoided. But on the other hand, Omega has flat fees for most revisions - and charges considerably less than Rolex. Rolex do have an insane degree of reliability, however, and often, watches coming back from service look like new.
Very few high end manufacturers supply spare parts, you need to find an independent with a back door access, batteries being the exception.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 09.05.2015, 20:14
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,015
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,005 Times in 1,156 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rolex: servicing/repair

Quote:
View Post
Very few high end manufacturers supply spare parts, you need to find an independent with a back door access, batteries being the exception.

Sure, but those who can afford high-end watches won't mind. I'd consider Omega a mid-tier watchmaker - and there's no problem getting Omegas serviced. I had my Speedy Pro serviced and regulated at a local watchmaker and paid 220.- for it.

Rolex is a different story - their mid-tier and luxury watches all use in-house movements. The closed manufacture makes it almost impossible to get them serviced elsewhere. Tudor is in the process of transitioning to in-house movements as well.

Other mid-tier watches (such as entry-level IWCs and most Tag Heuers etc) mainly use more or less modified ETA and Valjoux movements, those can get serviced anywhere.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 10.05.2015, 09:00
NickGB's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Zug
Posts: 283
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 271 Times in 125 Posts
NickGB is considered knowledgeableNickGB is considered knowledgeableNickGB is considered knowledgeable
Re: Rolex: servicing/repair

Quote:
View Post
Since I am near Geneva, would it be better to just take it to the Rolex office/factory in GVA rather than taking it to an official dealer.
Looks like it will cost a lot. Anyone has done had anything similar (for Rolex) done here recently?
My Submariner stopped working a few months back and I took it to our local (official) Rolex dealer who actually asked me if I wanted it sent to Rolex or looked at in store. Apparently they are an official repair/service centre. All things considered I opted for them to look at it in store. I asked the cost and he said upwards of 600CHF depending on what they find, but that would include a full service. (So read into that, that a service will cost about 600CHF) He called me a few days later to pick the watch up. Cost? 120CHF! It was a lot simpler (Rotor?) than expected. I really appreciated that they didn't rip me off when they really could have.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 10.05.2015, 09:10
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,015
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,005 Times in 1,156 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rolex: servicing/repair

Quote:
View Post
My Submariner stopped working a few months back and I took it to our local (official) Rolex dealer who actually asked me if I wanted it sent to Rolex or looked at in store. Apparently they are an official repair/service centre. All things considered I opted for them to look at it in store. I asked the cost and he said upwards of 600CHF depending on what they find, but that would include a full service. (So read into that, that a service will cost about 600CHF) He called me a few days later to pick the watch up. Cost? 120CHF! It was a lot simpler (Rotor?) than expected. I really appreciated that they didn't rip me off when they really could have.

Officially, Rolex doesn't have any authorized service centers in Switzerland, other than the one in Geneva, obviously. But I'm sure if an AD has a watchmaker on the payroll, they can also perform servicing work. The question is always:

1. Are they able to polish the watch as well as service the bracelet? Rolex usually manages to make the watches look like new during servicing

2. Do you get the 2 year warranty as you would from Rolex?


If an AD / watchmaker can provide both, then I don't see a reason why I'd have to pay Rolex 1/3 more for the same thing.

I know that some ADs do minor work, such as bezel replacement or the removal of the cyclops some people want.

Care to name your AD for future reference?
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 10.05.2015, 10:12
NickGB's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Zug
Posts: 283
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 271 Times in 125 Posts
NickGB is considered knowledgeableNickGB is considered knowledgeableNickGB is considered knowledgeable
Re: Rolex: servicing/repair

Quote:
View Post
Care to name your AD for future reference?
Roesselet in Zug
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 10.05.2015, 10:47
Today only's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 3,750
Groaned at 484 Times in 294 Posts
Thanked 4,002 Times in 1,992 Posts
Today only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond reputeToday only has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rolex: servicing/repair

Quote:
View Post
Officially, Rolex doesn't have any authorized service centers in Switzerland, other than the one in Geneva,
Rubbish, think Bucherer to start with, in most major cities
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 10.05.2015, 11:05
dawiz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 4,015
Groaned at 96 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 2,005 Times in 1,156 Posts
dawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond reputedawiz has a reputation beyond repute
Rolex: servicing/repair

Quote:
View Post
Rubbish, think Bucherer to start with, in most major cities

Bucherer is an AD, not a service center. As mentioned earlier in the thread, watches dropped off at Bucherer will end up in Geneva anyway. (Post 38 by Nyonais)
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rolex Factory Sales - Hoax or True? LondonBob Other/general 12 10.04.2011 20:48
Help me decide on these Rolex watches and where to buy Ale_50d Other/general 119 25.01.2011 17:27
Rolex Sydney to Hobart race begins jrspet International affairs/politics 3 29.12.2010 12:15
Wanted Rolex Daytona 116520W [Zurich} stephanie.wong Items wanted 124 21.09.2010 10:38
WTB: Rolex watch trupskh Items for sale 6 19.02.2009 16:49


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0