Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Other/general
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09.05.2012, 16:21
vribium's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lausanne (VD)
Posts: 226
Groaned at 63 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 148 Times in 65 Posts
vribium is considered knowledgeablevribium is considered knowledgeablevribium is considered knowledgeable
Looking for a girlfriend in Switzerland.

Hi everyone, what's up..
Ok, i arrived in Swiss about a month ago, and got transfered to Lausanne, i have been in here for almost three weeks and have been looking for friends, preferably a girl that speaks French. Mostly, it's because i've gotten lonely but at the same time, i want start a relationship. Anyway, long story short the problem rests with the fact how to meet a girl in Swiss? I used to be good at initiating conversations from where i am, but here it seems like i have lost all my powers lol. So, i am just asking, how do you relly get the number of that girl you see in the park, or inside tge train? I would love an accurate info. on this.
Is there something you do, a line you say that is understood by most that you are interested in them?

Thanks for the info,
And if it helps i am 24yrs, and male obviously.

Thanks..
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank vribium for this useful post:
This user groans at vribium for this post:
  #2  
Old 09.05.2012, 17:03
MacGregor's Daughter's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Zug
Posts: 3,060
Groaned at 26 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 3,147 Times in 1,325 Posts
MacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond reputeMacGregor's Daughter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Looking for a girlfriend in Swiss.

The first step would be to know the country's name.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09.05.2012, 17:14
sarel's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 387
Groaned at 13 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 293 Times in 160 Posts
sarel has an excellent reputationsarel has an excellent reputationsarel has an excellent reputationsarel has an excellent reputation
Re: Looking for a girlfriend in Swiss.

do you want to have a relationship for the sake of it or do you also want to fall in love?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09.05.2012, 17:16
Textoch's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas, USA (formerly Vaud, CH)
Posts: 1,081
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 2,343 Times in 779 Posts
Textoch has a reputation beyond reputeTextoch has a reputation beyond reputeTextoch has a reputation beyond reputeTextoch has a reputation beyond reputeTextoch has a reputation beyond reputeTextoch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Looking for a girlfriend in Swiss.

OP, why not give yourself a bit of time to get the hang of living in Switzerland and adjusting to life here prior to worrying about finding a girlfriend? Make some platonic friends and take a breath or two prior to getting into a relationship.

It would be helpful for you need to meet people in general before you set your sights on someone for a relationship, don't you think? Why don't you try to go out with some friends from work for drinks or join in an EF event? And who knows -- one of the women you meet there may turn out to be girlfriend material.

Also - don't try too hard, i.e. if you are just looking for an attractive woman to try out your "powers," great pickup lines, or stuff like that, you may risk turning her off because you may seem like you are coming on too strong. What worked for you before living in Switzerland might not work here. Just be yourself, smile, and talk before you go to ask for her number!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09.05.2012, 17:18
J.Marple's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Wynental
Posts: 1,694
Groaned at 21 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,023 Posts
J.Marple has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Marple has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Marple has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Marple has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Marple has a reputation beyond reputeJ.Marple has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Looking for a girlfriend in Swiss.

Why is it obvious that you are male, if you are looking for a girlfriend?

Same sex couples are not frowned upon in, repeat after me, Switzerland



Sorry I can't help with the chat up lines, though. I'm a bit out of practice.

Good luck with it .
Reply With Quote
The following 13 users would like to thank J.Marple for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 09.05.2012, 17:47
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,712
Groaned at 190 Times in 114 Posts
Thanked 9,590 Times in 4,155 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Looking for a girlfriend in Swiss.

Quote:
View Post
Hi everyone, what's up..
Ok, i arrived in Swiss about a month ago, and got transfered to Lausanne, i have been in here for almost three weeks and have been looking for friends, preferably a girl that speaks French. Mostly, it's because i've gotten lonely but at the same time, i want start a relationship. Anyway, long story short the problem rests with the fact how to meet a girl in Swiss? I used to be good at initiating conversations from where i am, but here it seems like i have lost all my powers lol. So, i am just asking, how do you relly get the number of that girl you see in the park, or inside tge train? I would love an accurate info. on this.
Is there something you do, a line you say that is understood by most that you are interested in them?

Thanks for the info,
And if it helps i am 24yrs, and male obviously.

Thanks..
ok. it's pretty simple.

step 1. go up to the girl and talk to her
step 2. at the end of the conversation, thank her and be on your way. do not ask for her number. do not give her your number.
step 3. the girl may stop you to give you her number, if so. job done. if not, find another girl and go back to step 1.

this procedure is 100% guaranteed to work.

and just a remark that at no stage should you give a girl your number. this is to make sure that you haven't actually picked a psychopath and you will avoid this kind of situation:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=63d_1330269502

(go 1 minute into the video)
__________________
By replying to this post, you hereby grant Phil_MCR a royalty-free license to use, in any way, anything posted by you on the internet. If you do not accept, stop using EF and delete your account.

Last edited by Phil_MCR; 09.05.2012 at 18:29.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 09.05.2012, 17:52
I am a Panda bear's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ZH
Posts: 150
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 186 Times in 75 Posts
I am a Panda bear has an excellent reputationI am a Panda bear has an excellent reputationI am a Panda bear has an excellent reputationI am a Panda bear has an excellent reputation
Re: Looking for a girlfriend in Swiss.

Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank I am a Panda bear for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 09.05.2012, 17:58
JPZ JPZ is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 199
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 129 Times in 69 Posts
JPZ is considered knowledgeableJPZ is considered knowledgeableJPZ is considered knowledgeable
Re: Looking for a girlfriend in Swiss.

Still single after a month in a new country....shocking!

The girls are probably staying away because your profile says you are in Dubai and they aren't interested in a long-distance relationship.
Reply With Quote
The following 12 users would like to thank JPZ for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 09.05.2012, 22:54
vribium's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lausanne (VD)
Posts: 226
Groaned at 63 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 148 Times in 65 Posts
vribium is considered knowledgeablevribium is considered knowledgeablevribium is considered knowledgeable
Re: Looking for a girlfriend in Swiss.

Thanks Phil. It seems like i should keep it real and simple. Man, the Suisse are tough though to befriend.

Merci
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09.05.2012, 22:56
I am a Panda bear's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ZH
Posts: 150
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 186 Times in 75 Posts
I am a Panda bear has an excellent reputationI am a Panda bear has an excellent reputationI am a Panda bear has an excellent reputationI am a Panda bear has an excellent reputation
Re: Looking for a girlfriend in Swiss.

It's Swissy or Swisso (Italian part) and not Swiss.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank I am a Panda bear for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 09.05.2012, 23:19
kngavl's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bärn
Posts: 447
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 349 Times in 160 Posts
kngavl has an excellent reputationkngavl has an excellent reputationkngavl has an excellent reputationkngavl has an excellent reputation
Re: Looking for a girlfriend in Swiss.

Quote:
View Post
Thanks Phil. It seems like i should keep it real and simple. Man, the Suisse are tough though to befriend.

Merci
Ganz Shiesse! After a few beers no one is hard to befriend ! Your just going at it wrong!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank kngavl for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 10.05.2012, 06:41
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 7,499
Groaned at 226 Times in 148 Posts
Thanked 8,986 Times in 3,836 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Looking for a girlfriend in Swiss.

So you think he may not have enough natural appeal and charisma and should pay for pussy?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank TiMow for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 10.05.2012, 08:28
Falconer's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 161
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 209 Times in 82 Posts
Falconer has earned the respect of manyFalconer has earned the respect of manyFalconer has earned the respect of many
Re: Looking for a girlfriend in Swiss.

Quote:
View Post
Is there something you do, a line you say that is understood by most that you are interested in them?
Being male helps ... this is not where the problem starts.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10.05.2012, 09:25
Squeeeez's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Frauenfeld
Posts: 217
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 192 Times in 93 Posts
Squeeeez has an excellent reputationSqueeeez has an excellent reputationSqueeeez has an excellent reputationSqueeeez has an excellent reputation
Re: Looking for a girlfriend in Swiss.

Quote:
View Post
ok. it's pretty simple.

step 1. go up to the girl and talk to her
step 2. at the end of the conversation, thank her and be on your way. do not ask for her number. do not give her your number.
step 3. the girl may stop you to give you her number, if so. job done. if not, find another girl and go back to step 1.

this procedure is 100% guaranteed to work.

and just a remark that at no stage should you give a girl your number. this is to make sure that you haven't actually picked a psychopath and you will avoid this kind of situation:
This can still happen! http://imgur.com/gallery/EVfop
But you recommend distrust from the very start. Good plan
At some stage you will have to let her know your number, though. Or do you only plan on calling her from phone booths?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Squeeeez for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 10.05.2012, 12:22
cereus's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Davos
Posts: 135
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 58 Times in 31 Posts
cereus has earned some respectcereus has earned some respect
Re: Looking for a girlfriend in Swiss.

Quote:
View Post

Is there something you do, a line you say that is understood by most that you are interested in them?

Being male helps ... this is not where the problem starts.
I don't know about other girls, but being chased and hunted down like I'm an animal does nothing for my interest. I lived in Lausanne, I really didn't like this aspect, especially on the trains and going through downtown at night. I've been told I look like Madonna, been called a whore, etc and I ignore it all.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10.05.2012, 12:41
The_Love_Doctor's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zugerberg, Zug
Posts: 2,736
Groaned at 65 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,154 Posts
The_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Looking for a girlfriend in Swiss.

Quote:
View Post
I've been told I look like Madonna, been called a whore, etc and I ignore it all.
Playing hard to get?
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank The_Love_Doctor for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 10.05.2012, 12:42
JonnyLaRock!'s Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Norway
Posts: 513
Groaned at 116 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 528 Times in 257 Posts
JonnyLaRock! has a reputation beyond reputeJonnyLaRock! has a reputation beyond reputeJonnyLaRock! has a reputation beyond reputeJonnyLaRock! has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Looking for a girlfriend in Swiss.

Quote:
View Post
I don't know about other girls, but being chased and hunted down like I'm an animal does nothing for my interest. I lived in Lausanne, I really didn't like this aspect, especially on the trains and going through downtown at night. I've been told I look like Madonna, been called a whore, etc and I ignore it all.
Madonna? oh my god! How old are you? I sincerely hope they where referring to the mother of Christ, rather than the mother of pop.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank JonnyLaRock! for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 10.05.2012, 12:44
JonnyLaRock!'s Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Norway
Posts: 513
Groaned at 116 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 528 Times in 257 Posts
JonnyLaRock! has a reputation beyond reputeJonnyLaRock! has a reputation beyond reputeJonnyLaRock! has a reputation beyond reputeJonnyLaRock! has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Looking for a girlfriend in Swiss.

Quote:
View Post
Hi everyone, what's up..
Ok, i arrived in Swiss about a month ago, and got transfered to Lausanne, i have been in here for almost three weeks and have been looking for friends, preferably a girl that speaks French. Mostly, it's because i've gotten lonely but at the same time, i want start a relationship. Anyway, long story short the problem rests with the fact how to meet a girl in Swiss? I used to be good at initiating conversations from where i am, but here it seems like i have lost all my powers lol. So, i am just asking, how do you relly get the number of that girl you see in the park, or inside tge train? I would love an accurate info. on this.
Is there something you do, a line you say that is understood by most that you are interested in them?

Thanks for the info,
And if it helps i am 24yrs, and male obviously.

Thanks..
Be tall, good looking debonair and funny, if you can't do that, try kidnap.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank JonnyLaRock! for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 10.05.2012, 12:47
cereus's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Davos
Posts: 135
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 58 Times in 31 Posts
cereus has earned some respectcereus has earned some respect
Re: Looking for a girlfriend in Swiss.

Quote:
View Post
Madonna? oh my god! How old are you? I sincerely hope they where referring to the mother of Christ, rather than the mother of pop.


I think once he realized I wasn't responding to French he went with the first English thing that popped in his head.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10.05.2012, 13:26
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,712
Groaned at 190 Times in 114 Posts
Thanked 9,590 Times in 4,155 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Looking for a girlfriend in Swiss.

Quote:
View Post
Be tall, good looking debonair and funny, if you can't do that, try kidnap.
omg. did you just make a rape joke? oh wait, it's only kidnap, please carry on...
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
dating




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Girlfriend in UK pregnant - giving birth in Switzerland? bigbeard Insurance 30 14.11.2012 11:17
American girlfriend in Switzerland bone_89 Permits/visas/government 3 16.04.2012 11:22
Trainee in Switzerland - girlfriend where? teofan Permits/visas/government 1 11.03.2012 02:21
Thai girlfriend looking for work in Switzerland bucklt Employment 14 08.06.2009 08:29


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0