Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Other/general
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 21.05.2015, 20:18
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 5,247
Groaned at 190 Times in 149 Posts
Thanked 6,263 Times in 3,383 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How hard is my tap water? Answer inside.

Quote:
View Post
Indeed... and much much cheaper than Durgol, etc. 1 litre of alcohol vinegar from the French supermarket is about 35 cts. I use it on all stainless steel surfaces, glass, tiles, bath, sink and taps, and regularly sprinkle a all over inside of dishwasher and filter, and washing machine, etc. Every few weeks I pour some in the kettle when hot and leave it for a couple of hours and rinse. Magic!

Just had a new Italian style shower-room installed, and the seller at SABAG told us to only use vinegar on the big glass partition, and none of the expensive products sold here.
I also (sometimes) use it instead of balsam for clothes because I can't stand anymore the smell of Perwoll and the likes. Very cheap in Migros too. (well Migros budget ones)
And I think it's good for the washing machine too...as I never use Calgon for instance.

Last edited by greenmount; 21.05.2015 at 20:28.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 21.05.2015, 20:26
Sbrinz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 11,035
Groaned at 544 Times in 344 Posts
Thanked 10,624 Times in 5,442 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How hard is my tap water? Answer inside.

Quote:
View Post
Sbrinz, doesn't your commune/gemeinde put the details of water quality/hardness on their website? Mine does as well as publishing it in our monthly newsletter.

http://www.misery-courtion.ch/index.php?id=39
Yes, my water is soft at 2.26 mmol/L but that doesn't help anybody. You need to find out exactly which supply you are using, to get the correct hardness for your address. As I wrote, my town has 3 different sources/supplies, other towns will be different again.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12.10.2015, 12:49
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 8,402
Groaned at 108 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 14,568 Times in 5,128 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How hard is my tap water? Answer inside.

Quote:
View Post
Several appliances (dishwasher, washing machine, coffee machine, etc) require that one knows the water hardness.

You may find it out if you enter your postal code in this website:
wasserqualitaet.ch

For conversion between French degrees and other units
1 °fH is:
10.01 mmol/L
0.1 ppm or mg/L
1.785 dGH or °dH
1.712 gpg
1.425 °e or °Clark
Just found this thread as we're deciding whether we need a water softener or not.
Your conversions are partly incorrect: 1 °fH is equivalent to 10 ppm (i.e. 10 mg/L CaCO3), not 0.1 ppm.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank PaddyG for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 12.10.2015, 12:58
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 5,304
Groaned at 40 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 7,574 Times in 3,416 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How hard is my tap water? Answer inside.

Partially incorrect? It seems to be total incorrect. Ooops.

Thanks for the peer review
Edit:fixed
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #25  
Old 12.10.2015, 13:34
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sense-Gebiet
Posts: 474
Groaned at 9 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 475 Times in 235 Posts
Ramtin[e] has an excellent reputationRamtin[e] has an excellent reputationRamtin[e] has an excellent reputationRamtin[e] has an excellent reputation
Re: How hard is my tap water? Answer inside.

If you are in Matran, don't do it (my opinion), it's not worth the investment. IMO it becomes interesting, if avg. water hardness is > 30°f.

Here are the figures for your commune, not bad if you compare them (both calcaire and nitrate) to other communes between A12 and A1.

Average: 24°f, compare it to 34°f and 36°f resp. in Belfaux and Chiètres (Kerzers).

http://www.matran.ch/service-techniq...ble-eaux-usees
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12.10.2015, 13:45
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 18,641
Groaned at 947 Times in 740 Posts
Thanked 20,596 Times in 9,856 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How hard is my tap water? Answer inside.

0.18

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12.10.2015, 13:52
Pixie B's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: SZ
Posts: 943
Groaned at 11 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 737 Times in 303 Posts
Blog Entries: 23
Pixie B has a reputation beyond reputePixie B has a reputation beyond reputePixie B has a reputation beyond reputePixie B has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How hard is my tap water? Answer inside.

14.60-15.10 but I don't know what that means! Hard or not? Yes I have already googled
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12.10.2015, 13:55
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 18,641
Groaned at 947 Times in 740 Posts
Thanked 20,596 Times in 9,856 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How hard is my tap water? Answer inside.

Quote:
View Post
14.60-15.10 but I don't know what that means! Hard or not? Yes I have already googled
The higher the number, the harder it is.

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 12.10.2015, 13:58
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 8,402
Groaned at 108 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 14,568 Times in 5,128 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How hard is my tap water? Answer inside.

Quote:
View Post
Partially incorrect? It seems to be total incorrect. Ooops.

Thanks for the peer review
Edit:fixed
When I say "partly incorrect" I meant to say "I didn't check all the other conversion factors"

Quote:
View Post
If you are in Matran, don't do it (my opinion), it's not worth the investment. IMO it becomes interesting, if avg. water hardness is > 30°f.

Here are the figures for your commune, not bad if you compare them (both calcaire and nitrate) to other communes between A12 and A1.

Average: 24°f, compare it to 34°f and 36°f resp. in Belfaux and Chiètres (Kerzers).

http://www.matran.ch/service-techniq...ble-eaux-usees
We're looking for when we move to Pensier in commune Barberêche next year. Unfortunately, the water qulaity isn't published (or I just can't find it), but the neighbouring commune, Courtepin, has an average of 26 fH, making it "slightly hard". Our friends in Neyruz were advised to install a softener when they built their house; then again, their average water quality is 32 fH.

Edit: latest water quality report is from 2012; the average for Barberêche was 30 fH.
__________________
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible c**t... me - Bricktop

Last edited by PaddyG; 12.10.2015 at 14:08.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12.10.2015, 14:12
Pixie B's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: SZ
Posts: 943
Groaned at 11 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 737 Times in 303 Posts
Blog Entries: 23
Pixie B has a reputation beyond reputePixie B has a reputation beyond reputePixie B has a reputation beyond reputePixie B has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How hard is my tap water? Answer inside.

Quote:
View Post
The higher the number, the harder it is.

Tom
I get that, but what is "hard" and what is "soft"? what range? What number is medium?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Pixie B for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 12.10.2015, 14:19
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,310
Groaned at 292 Times in 196 Posts
Thanked 12,189 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How hard is my tap water? Answer inside.

Quote:
View Post
We're looking for when we move to Pensier in commune Barberêche next year. Unfortunately, the water qulaity isn't published (or I just can't find it), but the neighbouring commune, Courtepin, has an average of 26 fH, making it "slightly hard". Our friends in Neyruz were advised to install a softener when they built their house; then again, their average water quality is 32 fH.

Edit: latest water quality report is from 2012; the average for Barberêche was 30 fH.
Not to forget, you've got the water treatment plant just across the way .... your water will be as soft as the stuff that they take out of it - just not as smelly.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12.10.2015, 14:22
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 8,402
Groaned at 108 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 14,568 Times in 5,128 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How hard is my tap water? Answer inside.

Quote:
View Post
Not to forget, you've got the water treatment plant just across the way .... your water will be as soft as the stuff that they take out of it - just not as smelly.
Actually, I was going to ask you whether you bothered with a softener where you are.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12.10.2015, 14:25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sense-Gebiet
Posts: 474
Groaned at 9 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 475 Times in 235 Posts
Ramtin[e] has an excellent reputationRamtin[e] has an excellent reputationRamtin[e] has an excellent reputationRamtin[e] has an excellent reputation
Re: How hard is my tap water? Answer inside.

Quote:
View Post
14.60-15.10 but I don't know what that means! Hard or not? Yes I have already googled
You water is soft. It's good for your boiler and washer (no need to use Calgon) and bad for your children. Consider giving them multimineral supplement.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Ramtin[e] for this useful post:
  #34  
Old 12.10.2015, 14:34
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 18,641
Groaned at 947 Times in 740 Posts
Thanked 20,596 Times in 9,856 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How hard is my tap water? Answer inside.

Quote:
View Post
I get that, but what is "hard" and what is "soft"? what range? What number is medium?


0 – 7 °fH gilt als sehr weiches Wasser

7 – 15 °fH gilt als weich

15 – 25 °fH gilt als mittelhart (Bereits ab diesem Wert ist die Erste Wartung nach 3-4 Jahren zu empfehlen)

25 – 32 °fH gilt bereits als ziemlich hartes Wasser, hier ist eine regelmässige entkalkung (alle 3 Jahre) angebracht

32 – 42 °fH ist hart

> 42 °fH ist sehr hart, dieser Wert kommt in der Schweiz sehr selten vor, in diesen Regionen leeren wir den Boiler alle 2 bis 3 Jahre

So you are borderline hard.

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #35  
Old 12.10.2015, 14:39
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 6,651
Groaned at 189 Times in 148 Posts
Thanked 11,102 Times in 4,592 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How hard is my tap water? Answer inside.

Here's a table of water hardness classification, according to the United States Geological Survey:

Classification......hardness in °fH
Soft.....................0–6.0
Moderately hard.....6.1–12.0
Hard....................12.1–18.0
Very hard.............≥ 18.1

Although my mains water supply is at "only" 17°fH (amusingly, my water supplier is called Hardwasser AG), I've just had a water softener installed (by Swisskalk) and am very happy with the results -- an instant and very discernible improvement to the "feel" of the water, especially for washing hair, and the lifetime benefit in terms of reduction of damage to the washing machine, dishwasher and hot water system (all of which are high-end, very expensive items) is well worth the relatively small initial outlay.

Not to mention the aesthetic benefits: the lack of calcium carbonate deposits in the shower, basins and kettle -- good riddance!

The ongoing cost is minimal: a little bit of electricity and salt replenishment at about CHF 24, twice a year.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post:
  #36  
Old 12.10.2015, 14:41
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 6,651
Groaned at 189 Times in 148 Posts
Thanked 11,102 Times in 4,592 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How hard is my tap water? Answer inside.

OK, so I just saw Tom's post... opinions vary, obviously!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post:
  #37  
Old 12.10.2015, 14:45
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 8,402
Groaned at 108 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 14,568 Times in 5,128 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How hard is my tap water? Answer inside.

Quote:
View Post
Here's a table of water hardness classification, according to the United States Geological Survey:

Classification......hardness in °fH
Soft.....................0–6.0
Moderately hard.....6.1–12.0
Hard....................12.1–18.0
Very hard.............≥ 18.1

Although my mains water supply is at "only" 17°fH (amusingly, my water supplier is called Hardwasser AG), I've just had a water softener installed (by Swisskalk) and am very happy with the results -- an instant and very discernible improvement to the "feel" of the water, especially for washing hair, and the lifetime benefit in terms of reduction of damage to the washing machine, dishwasher and hot water system (all of which are high-end, very expensive items) is well worth the relatively small initial outlay.

Not to mention the aesthetic benefits: the lack of calcium carbonate deposits in the shower, basins and kettle -- good riddance!

The ongoing cost is minimal: a little bit of electricity and salt replenishment at about CHF 24, twice a year.
Funnily enough, we had a chat at the Swisskalk stand at the Foire de Fribourg at the weekend. They have a special offer for the duration of the exhibition; could save us around SFr 200. Was your installation straightforward?
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 12.10.2015, 14:54
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Sense-Gebiet
Posts: 474
Groaned at 9 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 475 Times in 235 Posts
Ramtin[e] has an excellent reputationRamtin[e] has an excellent reputationRamtin[e] has an excellent reputationRamtin[e] has an excellent reputation
Re: How hard is my tap water? Answer inside.

Quote:
View Post
Not to forget, you've got the water treatment plant just across the way .... your water will be as soft as the stuff that they take out of it - just not as smelly.
Quote:
View Post
We're looking for when we move to Pensier in commune Barberêche next year. Unfortunately, the water qulaity isn't published (or I just can't find it), but the neighbouring commune, Courtepin, has an average of 26 fH, making it "slightly hard". Our friends in Neyruz were advised to install a softener when they built their house; then again, their average water quality is 32 fH.

Edit: latest water quality report is from 2012; the average for Barberêche was 30 fH.
Entretec (Groupe E) says 15-39°f , a huge variation. Guess your commune uses both groundwater and surface water (lac de Schiffenen). Groundwater is generally harder than surface water. I just hope they mix them otherwise you will face a dilemma.


http://www.entretec.ch/sites/default...romande_fr.pdf

http://www.leflon.ch/fileadmin/commu...AU_FR_2005.pdf
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Ramtin[e] for this useful post:
  #39  
Old 12.10.2015, 15:00
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 6,651
Groaned at 189 Times in 148 Posts
Thanked 11,102 Times in 4,592 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How hard is my tap water? Answer inside.

Quote:
View Post
Funnily enough, we had a chat at the Swisskalk stand at the Foire de Fribourg at the weekend. They have a special offer for the duration of the exhibition; could save us around SFr 200. Was your installation straightforward?
Absolutely. Happy to discuss via PM or telephone, if you like. (Also happy to recommend Swisskalk to you and receive the CHF 50 reward... ). They install hundreds of systems a year and were very efficient -- and neat -- throughout the process. And the price they quoted was exactly what I paid -- no hidden extras.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post:
  #40  
Old 12.10.2015, 15:05
PaddyG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pensier, Fribourg
Posts: 8,402
Groaned at 108 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 14,568 Times in 5,128 Posts
PaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond reputePaddyG has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How hard is my tap water? Answer inside.

Quote:
View Post
Entretec (Groupe E) says 15-39°f , a huge variation. Guess your commune uses both groundwater and surface water (lac de Schiffenen). Groundwater is generally harder than surface water. I just hope they mix them otherwise you will face a dilemma.


http://www.entretec.ch/sites/default...romande_fr.pdf

http://www.leflon.ch/fileadmin/commu...AU_FR_2005.pdf
Those links don't seem to agree completely. For example, Düdingen, just across the lake from us, is 16 - 25 (slightly hard) according to the le Flon link, yet 28-35 (hard) according to the Entretec link. Barberêche is 16 - 25 or 15 - 39.
I'm tempted to see how we get on without for the 1st year or so and install at a later date if we clearly have a calk problem..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
clark, hard water, hardness, limescale, water softener




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tap water residue -- does Swiss water change in winter? illinifan Other/general 20 28.05.2013 11:18
help! how to wash your clothes in hard water? giang Daily life 40 19.06.2012 12:31
How hard is Basel tap water? SwissMorgs Other/general 6 23.05.2012 09:13
Is Tap water safe for drinking in Zurich? arorank Daily life 28 25.07.2011 15:23
How to ask for plain tap water in restaurant/bar pabcbc Food and drink 40 10.09.2009 19:53


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0