Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Other/general
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 14.02.2013, 20:37
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 3,655
Groaned at 79 Times in 58 Posts
Thanked 5,767 Times in 2,126 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gun Community

So what, some people like fast cars, some like humongous motorbikes, some like jumping out a perfectly good airplane and some like to bomb down a mountain, others see perfection in cal. 7.5X55
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank slammer for this useful post:
  #62  
Old 14.02.2013, 21:04
team_1911's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 31
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 37 Times in 16 Posts
team_1911 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Gun Community

Quote:
View Post
We are moving to Geneva and going to the range is one of our hobbies here in the US. Is there a gun range in or around Geneva and can we bring our own guns?
Bring your own guns? In means of importing your firearm from the US to Switzerland or just buy the guns here in Switzerland and take them to the range?

Pistol range: http://www.pistoliers.com/visite.php
300m rifle: http://www.tir-veyrier.ch/Stand.html
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank team_1911 for this useful post:
  #63  
Old 14.02.2013, 22:23
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Volketswil
Posts: 17
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
iamamueller has no particular reputation at present
Re: Gun Community

I didn't have any trouble importing my favorite firearm (an old Marlin .22) to Switzerland. I wouldn't mind being part of the English speaking gun community of the Zurich area.

Andrea in Volketswil
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank iamamueller for this useful post:
  #64  
Old 14.02.2013, 22:36
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 362
Groaned at 126 Times in 52 Posts
Thanked 202 Times in 112 Posts
Burner Burner Burner Burner Burner
Re: Gun Community

Quote:
View Post
Bring your own guns? In means of importing your firearm from the US to Switzerland or just buy the guns here in Switzerland and take them to the range?

Pistol range: http://www.pistoliers.com/visite.php
300m rifle: http://www.tir-veyrier.ch/Stand.html
Thanks!
I've been on the lookout for a rifle range. I'm in Zürich.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 15.02.2013, 07:01
team_1911's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 31
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 37 Times in 16 Posts
team_1911 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Gun Community

Quote:
View Post
Thanks!
I've been on the lookout for a rifle range. I'm in Zürich.
There are several 300 m ranges. The biggest range is at Albisgüetli. Under the following link you'll find all the shooting clubs which shoot at Albisgüetli: http://www.bsvz.ch/mitgliedervereine.htm .

If you want to shoot with a bolt action rifle (hunting rifle), there's a range at Embrach: http://www.jagdschiessstand-embrach.ch/sites/infos.html

If you want to shoot with any kind of rifle at a distance between 10-100m, I'd recommend the Selgis shooting range (60min drive from Zurich): http://www.selgis.ch/

And if you want to shoot with pistols (any caliber you want), there's a range at the Shoppi Tivoli in Spreitenbach: http://www.schiessanlage.ch/
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 15.02.2013, 09:13
Jack of all trades.'s Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 738
Groaned at 21 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 609 Times in 286 Posts
Jack of all trades. has an excellent reputationJack of all trades. has an excellent reputationJack of all trades. has an excellent reputationJack of all trades. has an excellent reputation
Re: Gun Community

This week I purchased a Diana Panther 21 0.177 air rifle. I must say that for CHF 210 I am very impressed. At this time I am looking at designing a pellet catcher and if anyone has any good designs then I would like to see them. Also I am considering the pros and cons of a normal scope Vs the red dot one.

www.diana-airguns.de/index.php?id=264&L=1&width=1600&height=1200

When I went to school I shot at 800 yards without a scope and my feeling is that I should wait a while before I purchase any type of scope.

Also any info' on Basel shooting ranges owuld be appreciated.



Lastly I have a question on the types of pellets. Should I stay with flat head pellets or are the pointed heads better for target shooting? I have also heard of light weight pellets which are hollow inside and ones which are plastic or other materials too.

Last edited by Jack of all trades.; 15.02.2013 at 09:16. Reason: question on types of pellets.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jack of all trades. for this useful post:
  #67  
Old 15.02.2013, 11:41
team_1911's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 31
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 37 Times in 16 Posts
team_1911 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Gun Community

Quote:
View Post
This week I purchased a Diana Panther 21 0.177 air rifle. I must say that for CHF 210 I am very impressed. At this time I am looking at designing a pellet catcher and if anyone has any good designs then I would like to see them. Also I am considering the pros and cons of a normal scope Vs the red dot one.

When I went to school I shot at 800 yards without a scope and my feeling is that I should wait a while before I purchase any type of scope.

Also any info' on Basel shooting ranges owuld be appreciated.

Lastly I have a question on the types of pellets. Should I stay with flat head pellets or are the pointed heads better for target shooting? I have also heard of light weight pellets which are hollow inside and ones which are plastic or other materials too.
Well, before I go more into scope or red dot question, I'd like to know where you want to shoot that air rifle? In your backyard or on a shooting range?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank team_1911 for this useful post:
  #68  
Old 15.02.2013, 11:50
Jack of all trades.'s Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 738
Groaned at 21 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 609 Times in 286 Posts
Jack of all trades. has an excellent reputationJack of all trades. has an excellent reputationJack of all trades. has an excellent reputationJack of all trades. has an excellent reputation
Re: Gun Community

Quote:
View Post
Well, before I go more into scope or red dot question, I'd like to know where you want to shoot that air rifle? In your backyard or on a shooting range?
Private shooting range on private property and shooting range. And yes I am aware of the gun laws. I talked at length with the guy at the Bürgin gun shop in Basel.

Backyard? lol
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 15.02.2013, 12:36
Jack of all trades.'s Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 738
Groaned at 21 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 609 Times in 286 Posts
Jack of all trades. has an excellent reputationJack of all trades. has an excellent reputationJack of all trades. has an excellent reputationJack of all trades. has an excellent reputation
Re: Gun Community

Quote:
View Post
Well, before I go more into scope or red dot question, I'd like to know where you want to shoot that air rifle? In your backyard or on a shooting range?
It's a fair question though. I fully understand your motivation.

I learn't to shoot at about 5 years of age (my father taught me on the beach in Australia. Totaly deserted shooting out to sea)

I went to a semi-military school (SCEGS Sydney) and was a member of the shooting club (308 full bore single shot rifles) and was an army cadet in the school which included trips to the army bases in NSW where we shot rifles and machine guns.

etc etc...
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 15.02.2013, 14:05
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: St Elsewhere
Posts: 332
Groaned at 16 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 314 Times in 150 Posts
Brass427 has earned the respect of manyBrass427 has earned the respect of manyBrass427 has earned the respect of many
Re: Gun Community

Quote:
View Post
No, I didn't need to. I think I took them home with me which didn't matter as I didn't own my own gun.

But that was a long time ago. The gun club was full of long-time members who all seemed to be pyscho-weirdo types that you wouldn't like to meet on a dark night.

Still, it was good to go (for a short while), to get some personal perspective on gun clubs and their members so I can be a fully-paid up member of this thread.
That's an interesting experience. I was an active member for several years and found most of the people I met to be very down-to-earth, all of them law-abiding, and none of them pyscho-weirdo.

What I'm not sure of is if that's because of you or because of me.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 15.02.2013, 14:55
team_1911's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 31
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 37 Times in 16 Posts
team_1911 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Gun Community

Quote:
View Post
Private shooting range on private property and shooting range. And yes I am aware of the gun laws. I talked at length with the guy at the Bürgin gun shop in Basel.

Backyard? lol
I'm not questioning your knowledge about the gun laws! Regarding shooting range: I'm not into air rifle shooting and I don't think there are shooting ranges specially designed for air rifle shooting. I'd recommend you to get a real rifle and practice 300m shooting at a local range.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 15.02.2013, 17:06
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Basel
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Natureboy has no particular reputation at present
Re: Gun Community

Quote:
View Post
Hey there, I'm an enthusiastic gun owner. I own a few firearms (legally) and I got a lot of connections in the local gun community. As a American/ Swiss dual citizen it is very easy for me to purchase guns.
I've read a few threads in this forum and discovered that there is no useful thread regarding gun purchasing in Switzerland. If anybody of you want to purchase guns in Switzerland, let me know. I know the law by heart and I can help you with almost anything. Besides, it would be nice to build up an English speaking gun community.

I'm all for the English speaking gun community

I'm also an double citizen (American and Swiss) and I also own (legally) a few firearms. I'm struggling to find any gun clubs where I can go target practicing. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 15.02.2013, 17:46
Rodica's children's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 118
Groaned at 16 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 78 Times in 60 Posts
Rodica's children has earned some respectRodica's children has earned some respect
Re: Gun Community

Quote:
View Post
No, I didn't need to. I think I took them home with me which didn't matter as I didn't own my own gun.

But that was a long time ago. The gun club was full of long-time members who all seemed to be pyscho-weirdo types that you wouldn't like to meet on a dark night.

Still, it was good to go (for a short while), to get some personal perspective on gun clubs and their members so I can be a fully-paid up member of this thread.
Where was that out of interest?

I've seen shooting clubs portrayed this way in various films but these were always biased. I think there was a film based on the Hungerford shootings which showed shooting clubs like this, it was laughable.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 15.02.2013, 18:02
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 10,055
Groaned at 267 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 14,168 Times in 5,750 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gun Community

Quote:
View Post
Where was that out of interest?

I've seen shooting clubs portrayed this way in various films but these were always biased. I think there was a film based on the Hungerford shootings which showed shooting clubs like this, it was laughable.
I said I wouldn't post on this thread but to reply, I think you'll find that the gun club members don't see themselves in the same way as others do.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #75  
Old 15.02.2013, 18:06
team_1911's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 31
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 37 Times in 16 Posts
team_1911 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Gun Community

Quote:
View Post
Where was that out of interest?

I've seen shooting clubs portrayed this way in various films but these were always biased. I think there was a film based on the Hungerford shootings which showed shooting clubs like this, it was laughable.
Gun and shooting communities are often portrayed (in movies, newspapers, ...) as evil and crazy people who want to blow up everything and kill everybody....
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank team_1911 for this useful post:
  #76  
Old 16.02.2013, 01:09
HAT's Avatar
HAT HAT is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zurich near Zug
Posts: 1,248
Groaned at 90 Times in 56 Posts
Thanked 701 Times in 372 Posts
HAT is considered knowledgeableHAT is considered knowledgeableHAT is considered knowledgeable
Re: Gun Community

Quote:
View Post
This week I purchased a Diana Panther 21 0.177 air rifle. I must say that for CHF 210 I am very impressed. At this time I am looking at designing a pellet catcher and if anyone has any good designs then I would like to see them. Also I am considering the pros and cons of a normal scope Vs the red dot one.

www.diana-airguns.de/index.php?id=264&L=1&width=1600&height=1200

When I went to school I shot at 800 yards without a scope and my feeling is that I should wait a while before I purchase any type of scope.

Also any info' on Basel shooting ranges owuld be appreciated.



Lastly I have a question on the types of pellets. Should I stay with flat head pellets or are the pointed heads better for target shooting? I have also heard of light weight pellets which are hollow inside and ones which are plastic or other materials too.
Hi
Do you mean when you were schooling?
Don't bring a gun to any schools NOW. You will most likely be shot dead.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 16.02.2013, 01:14
HAT's Avatar
HAT HAT is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zurich near Zug
Posts: 1,248
Groaned at 90 Times in 56 Posts
Thanked 701 Times in 372 Posts
HAT is considered knowledgeableHAT is considered knowledgeableHAT is considered knowledgeable
Re: Gun Community

Quote:
View Post
I'm not questioning your knowledge about the gun laws! Regarding shooting range: I'm not into air rifle shooting and I don't think there are shooting ranges specially designed for air rifle shooting. I'd recommend you to get a real rifle and practice 300m shooting at a local range.
Every other village has a gun or rifle club and range.
Every range often offers an air rifle day for shooting air weapons.
Don't belittle air rifles nor air pistols. They require equal amount of discipline and shooting skills.
Often during winter, air rifles or air pistols are shot indoors due to low light outside.

People who have not shot air weapons can be biased or naive about the sport. Don't become a pain like those anti-gun lobby.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 16.02.2013, 07:16
team_1911's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 31
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 37 Times in 16 Posts
team_1911 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Gun Community

Quote:
View Post
Every other village has a gun or rifle club and range.
Every range often offers an air rifle day for shooting air weapons.
Don't belittle air rifles nor air pistols. They require equal amount of discipline and shooting skills.
Often during winter, air rifles or air pistols are shot indoors due to low light outside.

People who have not shot air weapons can be biased or naive about the sport. Don't become a pain like those anti-gun lobby.
I do not belittle air rifles or air pistols. I train with them during winter time! They are good for target shooting and they sometimes even require more discipline and shooting skills than normal pistols and rifles.
But an air rifle which is used at the range for target practice during winter does not look like yours and does not have a scope on it.



My advise is still they same: spend your money on a SIG 550, which can be used during summer time at the range and is way more fun to shoot than an air rifle...!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank team_1911 for this useful post:
  #79  
Old 16.02.2013, 12:57
HAT's Avatar
HAT HAT is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zurich near Zug
Posts: 1,248
Groaned at 90 Times in 56 Posts
Thanked 701 Times in 372 Posts
HAT is considered knowledgeableHAT is considered knowledgeableHAT is considered knowledgeable
Re: Gun Community

Quote:
View Post
I do not belittle air rifles or air pistols. I train with them during winter time! They are good for target shooting and they sometimes even require more discipline and shooting skills than normal pistols and rifles.
But an air rifle which is used at the range for target practice during winter does not look like yours and does not have a scope on it.



My advise is still they same: spend your money on a SIG 550, which can be used during summer time at the range and is way more fun to shoot than an air rifle...!
Hi sir,
First of all, it is great to have you on this thread. Really.

I was not saying YOU belittle the air weapons. It was just a generic statement to ALL people here.

Your stated experience and pictures seem to indicate you are truly an enthusiast on guns.

For me? I am just beginning. I do have 2 years of military experience but no real combat nor sufficient weapons handling time.

I agree both types of weapons demand stringent discipline and practise (Skills).
Unfortunately it is also cumbersome to apply a gun permit for every 3 guns and I do not intend to become a collector anytime soon.

Recently, I have researched a fair bit about Swiss gun ownership and shooting ranges, and therefore I post my information here.

Good to have you here!


PS: That is not my rifle. Don't mix up.
I have no rifle (yet).
__________________
祸从口出 病从口入 大家自制 小心小人.
Be kind, you are not always right, are you?
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 16.02.2013, 15:28
Rodica's children's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 118
Groaned at 16 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 78 Times in 60 Posts
Rodica's children has earned some respectRodica's children has earned some respect
Re: Gun Community

I am resident here in Switzerland and I want to import my firearms from Belgium. Has anybody gone down ths route previously? I would be very gratefull for info. I have asked gun dealers here about the swiss end but they cannot give me an end-to- end answer.

Rod.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
community, gun, shooting




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gun regulations xynth Other/general 91 15.07.2013 14:31
Wanted gun safe GarryBasel Items wanted 0 14.05.2012 23:06
Is the EF community similar to the community on that movie THE BEACH? AmberLeigh15 Forum support 140 28.08.2010 19:56
Gun registration Gebirgsjunge Other/general 12 22.12.2009 11:53
Gun Permit ta70s Other/general 1 13.12.2008 14:40


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0