Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Other/general
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 13.01.2015, 15:17
Jern's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bern
Posts: 907
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 1,091 Times in 470 Posts
Jern has a reputation beyond reputeJern has a reputation beyond reputeJern has a reputation beyond reputeJern has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK lights! will they be compatible in Switzerland ?

Quote:
View Post
The halogen bulbs I'm refering to don't go orange... under any circumstances.
And they don't have the same problems as compact fluorescents either, they reach their maximum brightness instantly, no warming up time required.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/energye...ent-78832.html

They might not be as power/eco-friendly as the LED ones, but they are an interesting option in certain types of light fittings.
It's a neat marketing trick. You put one inefficient, outdated lightbulb inside another inefficient, outdated lightbulb and, HEY PRESTO, you have a brand new type of mega-super-eco-friendly lightbulb which costs twice as much and uses 2% less power. Brilliant!
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 13.01.2015, 15:50
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 18,084
Groaned at 924 Times in 720 Posts
Thanked 19,612 Times in 9,436 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK lights! will they be compatible in Switzerland ?

UK switched to 240/50 in 1946, so it seems that Wooli is a bit older than he pretends.

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #43  
Old 13.01.2015, 16:13
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,721
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,032 Times in 6,257 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK lights! will they be compatible in Switzerland ?

Quote:
View Post
The halogen bulbs I'm refering to don't go orange... under any circumstances.
And they don't have the same problems as compact fluorescents either, they reach their maximum brightness instantly, no warming up time required.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/energye...ent-78832.html

They might not be as power/eco-friendly as the LED ones, but they are an interesting option in certain types of light fittings.
I guarantee any halogen bulb will go orange if dimmed i.e. run on a lower voltage, even at 230v the colour temp will be between 2900k - 3200k which is very yellow relative to daylight 5600k or more. The colour accuracy of Tungsten Halogen is better than everything else other than real sunlight, often used in studios for high end advertising film work.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #44  
Old 13.01.2015, 17:52
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 659
Groaned at 14 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 495 Times in 260 Posts
tooki has an excellent reputationtooki has an excellent reputationtooki has an excellent reputationtooki has an excellent reputation
Re: UK lights! will they be compatible in Switzerland ?

Quote:
View Post
The halogen bulbs I'm refering to don't go orange... under any circumstances.
And they don't have the same problems as compact fluorescents either, they reach their maximum brightness instantly, no warming up time required
If they don't go orange, then they're not halogen, period. A halogen bulb is an improved incandescent bulb, and still relies on a glowing wire to provide the light. If you dim it, that filament glows orange instead of white.

I'm only aware of two types of lighting that do not exhibit a color shift when dimmed: fluorescent and LED. And in both of those, it takes special fixtures to provide the dimmability, as regular ones start doing weird things if you run them on a dimmer.

Quote:
View Post
I guarantee any halogen bulb will go orange if dimmed i.e. run on a lower voltage, even at 230v the colour temp will be between 2900k - 3200k which is very yellow relative to daylight 5600k or more. The colour accuracy of Tungsten Halogen is better than everything else other than real sunlight, often used in studios for high end advertising film work.

Quote:
View Post
It's a neat marketing trick. You put one inefficient, outdated lightbulb inside another inefficient, outdated lightbulb and, HEY PRESTO, you have a brand new type of mega-super-eco-friendly lightbulb which costs twice as much and uses 2% less power. Brilliant!
That's incorrect. Halogen bulbs give a significant increase in efficiency (the halogen gas lets the filament be run at a hotter temperature without burning out, increasing the luminous flux for a given wattage). Nowhere near the massively higher efficiency of CCFL or LED, but a nice boost all the same. Nobody is claiming halogen to be the most efficient kind, but as fatmanfilms said, they provide the best color quality.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank tooki for this useful post:
  #45  
Old 13.01.2015, 18:06
Jern's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bern
Posts: 907
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 1,091 Times in 470 Posts
Jern has a reputation beyond reputeJern has a reputation beyond reputeJern has a reputation beyond reputeJern has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK lights! will they be compatible in Switzerland ?

Quote:
View Post
That's incorrect.
Yes, I thought it might be.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 13.01.2015, 18:26
Gordon Comstock's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Geneva
Posts: 281
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 420 Times in 172 Posts
Gordon Comstock has earned the respect of manyGordon Comstock has earned the respect of manyGordon Comstock has earned the respect of many
Re: UK lights! will they be compatible in Switzerland ?

Quote:
View Post
I did not realize that my razor was 220 V and shocked when it simply failed to work in my room. When I asked the manager, he calmly told me that these Brits (he was a Spaniard) have it with 110 V so you have to get another adapter at Dixons -- I finally found out that my razor had a well hidden switch to turn it to 110V
Here lies the confusion. Shaver sockets in hotel bathrooms in the UK were 110 volts due to fears about mixing electricity and water. There's a bit about it here.

I very much doubt the rest of the power in the building was only 110 volts.
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank Gordon Comstock for this useful post:
  #47  
Old 14.01.2015, 01:24
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK lights! will they be compatible in Switzerland ?

Quote:
View Post
Here lies the confusion. Shaver sockets in hotel bathrooms in the UK were 110 volts due to fears about mixing electricity and water. There's a bit about it here.

I very much doubt the rest of the power in the building was only 110 volts.

Oh, I see. But how should we Continentals and Colonials know about such crazy notions of the rulers of the Empire


We were not told about, but had to find it out ourselves. Most took it with the appropriate humours, others were really angry



************************************************** ***********************************************




Quote:
View Post
UK switched to 240/50 in 1946, so it seems that Wooli is a bit older than he pretends.

Tom

I suppose that Britain was/is a bit more old-fashioned than it pretends/pretended most of the folks in our class at the LTC School of English fought with the 110 Volts (in autumn of 1972, as Greater London apparently had not yet heard of the Switch you mention). and had to see that a SIXPENCE had a value of 2,5 pence, that a ONE-SHILLING piece had a value of 5 pence and a TWO SHILLING piece a value of 10 pence
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
This user groans at Wollishofener for this post:
  #48  
Old 14.01.2015, 04:57
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London/vaud
Posts: 32
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Stevehaley has no particular reputation at present
Re: UK lights! will they be compatible in Switzerland ?

Quote:
View Post
We were not told about, but had to find it out ourselves. Most took it with the appropriate humours, others were really angry

I suppose that Britain was/is a bit more old-fashioned than it pretends/pretended most of the folks in our class at the LTC School of English fought with the 110 Volts (in autumn of 1972, as Greater London apparently had not yet heard of the Switch you mention). and had to see that a SIXPENCE had a value of 2,5 pence, that a ONE-SHILLING piece had a value of 5 pence and a TWO SHILLING piece a value of 10 pence
1. I find it amusing that a Swissy complains about not being told something. My experience of switzerland is that is one of the least transparent countries in europe. For example Switzerland is the only country in Europe not to display its speed limits at the borders let alone warn you that you must have your headlights on at all times! Surely the rule for any tourist is to check before you go....

2. I have checked with my father and his father, between us we have lived in London continuously for over 80 years and the only 110v that has existed in that time were the shaver sockets in the bathroom that went through a brief phase of being 110v only. Now they are either 240v or dual voltage. At NO time has the UK ever had 110v as any sort of standard except for that. All apliances have been 240v for as long as I can remember - well before your time in London. My house is around the corner from there and the wiring is over 40yrs old and all 240v. as you can see from http://tinyurl.com/p8fc3cr all uk shaver sockets are now either 240v or dual voltage.

3. Not sure what your point about the currency was - UK was going through a period of decimilasiation and for a brief period we had two currency's - big deal.
for your edification
2 farthings = 1 halfpenny
2 halfpence = 1 penny (1d)
3 pence = 1 thruppence (3d)
6 pence = 1 sixpence (a 'tanner') (6d)
12 pence = 1 shilling (a bob) (1s)
2 shillings = 1 florin ( a 'two bob bit') (2s)
2 shillings and 6 pence = 1 half crown (2s 6d)
5 shillings = 1 Crown (5s)
20 shillings = 1 pound

Conversion to the decimal currency was on the basis of 1 shilling (12 old pence) = 5 new pence - hardly complicated.

4. As for Britain being old fashioned - well you obviously dont' know it very well...... In the early 70's London was the most progressive city in the world and it is no slouch now.. Not sure what London you visited but it was very different to mine. I had such good time in London in the 70s that I cant remember most of it!!

for your further edification:-
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains...ity_by_country

Further research shows that 240v was decided on in the Electricity (Supply) Act 1926

Please just accept that the UK is and has nearly always been 240v and stop telling others that is 110v
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Stevehaley for this useful post:
  #49  
Old 14.01.2015, 06:12
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK lights! will they be compatible in Switzerland ?

Quote:
View Post
1. I find it amusing that a Swissy complains about not being told something. My experience of switzerland is that is one of the least transparent countries in europe. For example Switzerland is the only country in Europe not to display its speed limits at the borders let alone warn you that you must have your headlights on at all times! Surely the rule for any tourist is to check before you go....

2. I have checked with my father and his father, between us we have lived in London continuously for over 80 years and the only 110v that has existed in that time were the shaver sockets in the bathroom that went through a brief phase of being 110v only. Now they are either 240v or dual voltage. At NO time has the UK ever had 110v as any sort of standard except for that. All apliances have been 240v for as long as I can remember - well before your time in London. My house is around the corner from there and the wiring is over 40yrs old and all 240v. as you can see from http://tinyurl.com/p8fc3cr all uk shaver sockets are now either 240v or dual voltage.

3. Not sure what your point about the currency was - UK was going through a period of decimilasiation and for a brief period we had two currency's - big deal.
for your edification
2 farthings = 1 halfpenny
2 halfpence = 1 penny (1d)
3 pence = 1 thruppence (3d)
6 pence = 1 sixpence (a 'tanner') (6d)
12 pence = 1 shilling (a bob) (1s)
2 shillings = 1 florin ( a 'two bob bit') (2s)
2 shillings and 6 pence = 1 half crown (2s 6d)
5 shillings = 1 Crown (5s)
20 shillings = 1 pound

Conversion to the decimal currency was on the basis of 1 shilling (12 old pence) = 5 new pence - hardly complicated.

4. As for Britain being old fashioned - well you obviously dont' know it very well...... In the early 70's London was the most progressive city in the world and it is no slouch now.. Not sure what London you visited but it was very different to mine. I had such good time in London in the 70s that I cant remember most of it!!

for your further edification:-
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains...ity_by_country

Further research shows that 240v was decided on in the Electricity (Supply) Act 1926

Please just accept that the UK is and has nearly always been 240v and stop telling others that is 110v

1) the rule about the headlights is strange, as based only on a ruling of the Fêderal Council but not on a real law
1-b) you cannot show the Speed Limits at the borders, as they depend on the CANTON. While in most of German speaking Switzerland the speed limit in motorway tunnels is 80 kms it in the Ticino is 100 kms. The Ticinesi may have changed this or not fact is that Speed Limits are set by the Cantons and in many places the municipalities are free to differ
2) fully accepted, except that we all were not told --- and over 40 years old means that it was science fiction by 1972
3) truth is that I was very happy that the UK had become decimal right in time just for such a lousy mathematician as me -- so that this was not a complaint but a statement of Facts
4) you are wrong totally
- I know Britain very well
- I love and admire London
- The Tube of London to some extent much later was copied for the S-Bahn in Zürich and London-Heathrow was copied at Zürich Airport many many times
- NY in 1976 was (together with Chicago and Los Angeles) more modern than Zürich, Geneva, Milano, Firenze, Pisa, Paris, London so that this point goes to the USA
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #50  
Old 14.01.2015, 08:28
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,310
Groaned at 292 Times in 196 Posts
Thanked 12,189 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK lights! will they be compatible in Switzerland ?

As regards border speed limit signs and daylight headlight use, it is down to the driver to acquaint themselves with the road rules of the country in which they are driving or are entering - and not rely on being spoon fed information by a nanny state.

The lazy and uninformed, pay the price.


.... and Wolli, for someone who always likes finding references for authenticating your comments, again you are not accurate about autobahn tunnel speed limits - they're all 100 around here, and the majority I've driven through in other parts of the country are also 100.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank TiMow for this useful post:
  #51  
Old 14.01.2015, 09:06
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Albisrieden
Posts: 3,832
Groaned at 93 Times in 62 Posts
Thanked 5,374 Times in 2,001 Posts
nickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK lights! will they be compatible in Switzerland ?

But it took awhile before all houses got indoor flushing toilets in my neck of the woods. Gardy-loo!

Cheers,
Nick

Quote:
View Post
1. I find it amusing that a Swissy complains about not being told something. My experience of switzerland is that is one of the least transparent countries in europe. For example Switzerland is the only country in Europe not to display its speed limits at the borders let alone warn you that you must have your headlights on at all times! Surely the rule for any tourist is to check before you go....

2. I have checked with my father and his father, between us we have lived in London continuously for over 80 years and the only 110v that has existed in that time were the shaver sockets in the bathroom that went through a brief phase of being 110v only. Now they are either 240v or dual voltage. At NO time has the UK ever had 110v as any sort of standard except for that. All apliances have been 240v for as long as I can remember - well before your time in London. My house is around the corner from there and the wiring is over 40yrs old and all 240v. as you can see from http://tinyurl.com/p8fc3cr all uk shaver sockets are now either 240v or dual voltage.

3. Not sure what your point about the currency was - UK was going through a period of decimilasiation and for a brief period we had two currency's - big deal.
for your edification
2 farthings = 1 halfpenny
2 halfpence = 1 penny (1d)
3 pence = 1 thruppence (3d)
6 pence = 1 sixpence (a 'tanner') (6d)
12 pence = 1 shilling (a bob) (1s)
2 shillings = 1 florin ( a 'two bob bit') (2s)
2 shillings and 6 pence = 1 half crown (2s 6d)
5 shillings = 1 Crown (5s)
20 shillings = 1 pound

Conversion to the decimal currency was on the basis of 1 shilling (12 old pence) = 5 new pence - hardly complicated.

4. As for Britain being old fashioned - well you obviously dont' know it very well...... In the early 70's London was the most progressive city in the world and it is no slouch now.. Not sure what London you visited but it was very different to mine. I had such good time in London in the 70s that I cant remember most of it!!

for your further edification:-
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains...ity_by_country

Further research shows that 240v was decided on in the Electricity (Supply) Act 1926

Please just accept that the UK is and has nearly always been 240v and stop telling others that is 110v
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank nickatbasel for this useful post:
  #52  
Old 14.01.2015, 09:12
baboon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 2,463
Groaned at 73 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,462 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK lights! will they be compatible in Switzerland ?

Quote:
View Post
1-b) you cannot show the Speed Limits at the borders, as they depend on the CANTON. While in most of German speaking Switzerland the speed limit in motorway tunnels is 80 kms it in the Ticino is 100 kms. The Ticinesi may have changed this or not fact is that Speed Limits are set by the Cantons and in many places the municipalities are free to differ
There are general limits (120/80/50) that apply nationally and could easily be posted (whether they should or not is another question). Anything that doesn't follow this (tunnels, local decisions, etc.) is separately signposted anyway.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank baboon for this useful post:
  #53  
Old 14.01.2015, 09:15
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 18,084
Groaned at 924 Times in 720 Posts
Thanked 19,612 Times in 9,436 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK lights! will they be compatible in Switzerland ?

Quote:
View Post
Switzerland is the only country in Europe not to display its speed limits at the borders let alone warn you that you must have your headlights on at all times!
Umm, yes they do, at least at all of the border crossings I've used.

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #54  
Old 14.01.2015, 09:39
baboon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 2,463
Groaned at 73 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,462 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK lights! will they be compatible in Switzerland ?

Quote:
View Post
.... and Wolli, for someone who always likes finding references for authenticating your comments, again you are not accurate about autobahn tunnel speed limits - they're all 100 around here, and the majority I've driven through in other parts of the country are also 100.
Individual decision per tunnel as far as I can tell. Drive along Walensee towards Zürich and the first ones are all 100, the later ones (all older and more twisty) are usually 80 depending on time of day and traffic. City tunnels tend to be 80.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank baboon for this useful post:
  #55  
Old 14.01.2015, 09:44
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,310
Groaned at 292 Times in 196 Posts
Thanked 12,189 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK lights! will they be compatible in Switzerland ?

Yep ... no solid blanket rule, but the individual tunnel and conditions taken into account.

Most (if not all) have electronic, changeable max. speed signs for variable limits; as and when a change is required.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 19.01.2015, 09:45
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
X189999 has no particular reputation at present
Re: UK lights! will they be compatible in Switzerland ?

I moved from the UK years ago, there is no need to change voltage. If you take apart the plugs from the English lamps and replace them with swiss plugs, they work fine.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 19.01.2015, 10:52
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Bern
Posts: 402
Groaned at 99 Times in 61 Posts
Thanked 318 Times in 179 Posts
Sublime is considered unworthySublime is considered unworthySublime is considered unworthySublime is considered unworthy
Re: UK lights! will they be compatible in Switzerland ?

Quote:
View Post
1. I find it amusing that a Swissy complains about not being told something. My experience of switzerland is that is one of the least transparent countries in europe. For example Switzerland is the only country in Europe not to display its speed limits at the borders let alone warn you that you must have your headlights on at all times! Surely the rule for any tourist is to check before you go....
Well, if you drive you should be able to read, at least!

Quote:
View Post
3. Not sure what your point about the currency was - UK was going through a period of decimilasiation and for a brief period we had two currency's - big deal.
for your edification
2 farthings = 1 halfpenny
2 halfpence = 1 penny (1d)
3 pence = 1 thruppence (3d)
6 pence = 1 sixpence (a 'tanner') (6d)
12 pence = 1 shilling (a bob) (1s)
2 shillings = 1 florin ( a 'two bob bit') (2s)
2 shillings and 6 pence = 1 half crown (2s 6d)
5 shillings = 1 Crown (5s)
20 shillings = 1 pound

Conversion to the decimal currency was on the basis of 1 shilling (12 old pence) = 5 new pence - hardly complicated.
Crazy
Attached Thumbnails
uk-lights-will-they-compatible-switzerland-bildschirmfoto-2015-01-19-um-09.45.55.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 19.01.2015, 11:22
Jern's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bern
Posts: 907
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 1,091 Times in 470 Posts
Jern has a reputation beyond reputeJern has a reputation beyond reputeJern has a reputation beyond reputeJern has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK lights! will they be compatible in Switzerland ?

Quote:
View Post
Well, if you drive you should be able to read, at least!
This is exactly what the car-park attendant at Schloss Neuschwanstein said to me a few years back. Having failed to make head or tail of the absurdly complicated notice with all the different rates, I asked politely how much I had to pay, and he came back with the insulting retort "Verstehe. Kann fahren aber nicht lesen". Needless to say, I jumped out of the car, hoisted the squirming little Bavarian runt bodily out of his miserable car-park attendant's hut and kneecapped him with a 45 Magnum*.

*Note: some of this remains a little hazy in my memory and may not be entirely accurate.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 19.01.2015, 12:13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Bern
Posts: 402
Groaned at 99 Times in 61 Posts
Thanked 318 Times in 179 Posts
Sublime is considered unworthySublime is considered unworthySublime is considered unworthySublime is considered unworthy
Re: UK lights! will they be compatible in Switzerland ?

Quote:
View Post
This is exactly what the car-park attendant at Schloss Neuschwanstein said to me a few years back. Having failed to make head or tail of the absurdly complicated notice with all the different rates, I asked politely how much I had to pay, and he came back with the insulting retort "Verstehe. Kann fahren aber nicht lesen". Needless to say, I jumped out of the car, hoisted the squirming little Bavarian runt bodily out of his miserable car-park attendant's hut and kneecapped him with a 45 Magnum*.

*Note: some of this remains a little hazy in my memory and may not be entirely accurate.
Well, I am not surprised that your only reaction ability was to act violently about your indeed wrong attitude. Very childish and proves you indubitably guilty.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sublime for this useful post:
  #60  
Old 19.01.2015, 12:23
Jern's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bern
Posts: 907
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 1,091 Times in 470 Posts
Jern has a reputation beyond reputeJern has a reputation beyond reputeJern has a reputation beyond reputeJern has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK lights! will they be compatible in Switzerland ?

Quote:
View Post
Well, I am not surprised that your only reaction ability was to act violently about your indeed wrong attitude. Very childish and proves you indubitably guilty.
Now I've remembered what really happened: I just smiled feebly and asked the question again.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can they really be so stupid? [Motorway pub approved in UK] Medea Fleecestealer International affairs/politics 43 04.06.2013 17:54
UK Masters in Engineering, Will it be acceptable? James_Z Employment 5 04.03.2012 22:24
Afrikaans Nanny [Are they to be found in Switzerland] Miekie Jobs wanted 20 13.03.2008 13:00
Electrical appliances - will they work in switzerland Beano Housing in general 1 14.09.2007 00:26


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0