Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Other/general
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08.03.2015, 23:18
nomad66's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Zurich / Down Under
Posts: 219
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 108 Times in 64 Posts
nomad66 has made some interesting contributions
Garden Gnomes

I want to buy a few garden Gnomes. is there a website where I can see what they all are and then order? perhaps in Germany?

TIA!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09.03.2015, 09:57
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SZ
Posts: 7,617
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 15,926 Times in 5,233 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Garden Gnomes

There are websites aplenty, just google ‘Gartenzwerg’. Since I have no personal experience with any of them I decided not to put in links.

You can generally buy gnomes at any larger garden center.

But if you want to find the best gnomes - and score serious integration points - just admire the gnomes in Oma’s garden down the street (there’s always an Oma cultivating a garden of gnomes down the street*) and ask where she found hers.

There might even be a Gartenzwergverein in your village.



*Even in Klosters, where they apparently wanted to ban Gartenzwerge as too kitschy for the village’s highfalutin’ image - but were met with protests:
http://www.blick.ch/news/schweiz/gra...id3303612.html
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 09.03.2015, 10:18
Dougal's Breakfast's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: GL
Posts: 15,391
Groaned at 969 Times in 737 Posts
Thanked 38,677 Times in 12,106 Posts
Dougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Garden Gnomes

I think it's appalling that we can still - in 2015 - talk about "buying" gnomes!


Why don't you invite some gnomes to come and stay with you? If they - by exercise of their own free will - choose to come and reside in your garden, then you will have gained some very loyal and very trustworthy friends. But be warned: gnomes are excellent judges of character, and one whiff of betrayal, condescension or insult will result in all kinds of catastrophic consequences.


On reflection, you might be safer having a look round Hornbach.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Dougal's Breakfast for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 09.03.2015, 10:26
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,310
Groaned at 292 Times in 196 Posts
Thanked 12,189 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Garden Gnomes

Quote:
View Post
I think it's appalling that we can still - in 2015 - talk about "buying" gnomes!


Why don't you invite some gnomes to come and stay with you? If they - by exercise of their own free will - choose to come and reside in your garden, then you will have gained some very loyal and very trustworthy friends. But be warned: gnomes are excellent judges of character, and one whiff of betrayal, condescension or insult will result in all kinds of catastrophic consequences.


On reflection, you might be safer having a look round Hornbach.
Are you sure you're not confusing gnomes with something else?

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09.03.2015, 10:37
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,653
Groaned at 152 Times in 118 Posts
Thanked 9,576 Times in 3,220 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Garden Gnomes

Quote:
View Post
There are websites aplenty, just google ‘Gartenzwerg’. Since I have no personal experience with any of them I decided not to put in links.

You can generally buy gnomes at any larger garden center.

But if you want to find the best gnomes - and score serious integration points - just admire the gnomes in Oma’s garden down the street (there’s always an Oma cultivating a garden of gnomes down the street*) and ask where she found hers.

There might even be a Gartenzwergverein in your village.



*Even in Klosters, where they apparently wanted to ban Gartenzwerge as too kitschy for the village’s highfalutin’ image - but were met with protests:
http://www.blick.ch/news/schweiz/gra...id3303612.html
I'm a bit disappointed that you forgot to mention that meeting a garden gnome can be a traumatic experience for dogs and should hence by forbidden
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 09.03.2015, 10:58
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SZ
Posts: 7,617
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 15,926 Times in 5,233 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Garden Gnomes

Quote:
View Post
I'm a bit disappointed that you forgot to mention that meeting a garden gnome can be a traumatic experience for dogs and should hence by forbidden
Ah, but meeting and greeting (and refraining from piddling on) a Gartenzwerg is part of the SKN syllabus*, so all good Swiss dogs are gently acclimated to the little 'uns in their midst. Thanks again to Swiss foresight and regulation, few canines are left traumatized by an unexpected encounter with a Gartenzwerg.

*No it's not.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 09.03.2015, 11:19
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Was Belgium now Neuchâtel
Posts: 8,220
Groaned at 60 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 10,241 Times in 4,924 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Garden Gnomes

You'll probably be better off waiting until 'International gnome day' on June 21st, there'll probably be plenty of gnomes around then.


http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Gnome_Week
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 09.03.2015, 11:21
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 10,064
Groaned at 267 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 14,178 Times in 5,756 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Garden Gnomes

Quote:
View Post
I want to buy a few garden Gnomes. is there a website where I can see what they all are and then order? perhaps in Germany?

TIA!
Are you serious?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09.03.2015, 11:40
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 33
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Sunny Times has slipped a little
Re: Garden Gnomes

Quote:
View Post
I want to buy a few garden Gnomes. is there a website where I can see what they all are and then order? perhaps in Germany?

TIA!


they are creepy...very creepy


I have seen a few at Bauhaus over the border
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09.03.2015, 11:52
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Near Luzern
Posts: 1,316
Groaned at 76 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 1,498 Times in 700 Posts
Patxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Garden Gnomes

You can find them on ebay.

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Patxi for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 09.03.2015, 11:56
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 3,049
Groaned at 99 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 3,786 Times in 1,954 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Garden Gnomes

Quote:
View Post
but if you want to find the best gnomes - and score serious integration points - just admire the gnomes in oma’s garden down the street (there’s always an oma cultivating a garden of gnomes down the street*) and ask where she found hers.

There might even be a gartenzwergverein in your village.
+1

Excellent advice
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 09.03.2015, 12:02
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 5,061
Groaned at 40 Times in 38 Posts
Thanked 7,137 Times in 3,240 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Garden Gnomes

I think it is good that you try to integrated and take part in the very Swiss familiy tradition of Zwerge Sprengen.

Hueregopferdammifuddigigelsäkeldubbelfiggerarschlo ch





Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 09.03.2015, 12:22
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 18,143
Groaned at 926 Times in 722 Posts
Thanked 19,731 Times in 9,480 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Garden Gnomes









Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 09.03.2015, 15:39
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,411
Groaned at 141 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 14,611 Times in 6,217 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Garden Gnomes

Quote:
View Post
I think it's appalling that we can still - in 2015 - talk about "buying" gnomes!


Why don't you invite some gnomes to come and stay with you? If they - by exercise of their own free will - choose to come and reside in your garden, then you will have gained some very loyal and very trustworthy friends. But be warned: gnomes are excellent judges of character, and one whiff of betrayal, condescension or insult will result in all kinds of catastrophic consequences.


On reflection, you might be safer having a look round Hornbach.
I understand there are lots of gnomes in Zürich. They mostly hang around bank vaults and cause so much damage to the exchange rate mechanism that the major banks set up traps for them. Maybe your local bank will be willing to donate some trapped gnomes to you. Be sure to find a bank that uses humane traps though, as splattered gnome is not a pretty sight.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 09.03.2015, 15:53
MusicChick's Avatar
modified and reprogrammed
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 9,719
Groaned at 88 Times in 71 Posts
Thanked 11,212 Times in 5,569 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Garden Gnomes

I think we should have an EF make-your-own-garden-gnome competition. Not enough creativity in our daily lives...

Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09.03.2015, 16:04
HIAO's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bellevue
Posts: 677
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 1,589 Times in 430 Posts
HIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Garden Gnomes

Quote:
View Post
I think it's appalling that we can still - in 2015 - talk about "buying" gnomes!
Ease-up there DB.


Attitudes towards these little folks are changing.


It takes time to change perceptions. Remember, Gnome wasn't built in a day.


HD
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank HIAO for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
garden gnomes




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Garden Sunshade, Garden Storage Box and Water Feature (Brugg) oscarsmum Items for sale 2 29.08.2012 16:40
Garden Design ? grynch Other/general 38 28.11.2011 17:57
Various Garden Fences + Garden Tools + wooden poles for sale Libellula Items for sale 3 25.10.2011 22:05
garden furniture Duchess23 Other/general 5 14.03.2011 17:51
Garden Incinerators telandy Other/general 13 08.01.2008 13:51


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0