Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Other/general
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03.11.2015, 15:19
Tripazia's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bern
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tripazia has no particular reputation at present
Randomised Light Timer for house security

I was reading an article about how the Lausanne police is giving away randomised light timers as part of their campaign for house security.
A more general online reading says there are light timers which can be set to randomly turn on light in a specified range.
Anyone has any idea where to buy those in Switzerland?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Tripazia for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 03.11.2015, 15:23
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 10,072
Groaned at 267 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 14,184 Times in 5,759 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Randomised Light Timer for house security

Quote:
View Post
I was reading an article about how the Lausanne police is giving away randomised light timers as part of their campaign for house security.
A more general online reading says there are light timers which can be set to randomly turn on light in a specified range.
Anyone has any idea where to buy those in Switzerland?
Hornbach for one.


Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 03.11.2015, 15:29
Tripazia's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bern
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tripazia has no particular reputation at present
Re: Randomised Light Timer for house security

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03.11.2015, 18:00
vuachère's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Vaud
Posts: 548
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 334 Times in 188 Posts
vuachère has earned the respect of manyvuachère has earned the respect of manyvuachère has earned the respect of many
Re: Randomised Light Timer for house security

Thanks for the timely reminder! I wasn't aware the police were giving these away, but there's been too many break-ins lately, even when the occupant is away for 3-4 hours!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03.11.2015, 18:14
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 6,611
Groaned at 188 Times in 147 Posts
Thanked 10,975 Times in 4,534 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Randomised Light Timer for house security

That looks exactly like one that I have and it's an automatic timer switch which works well, but does not have a random function. It won't randomly switch your lights on and off at varying times, which is the objective for theft deterrence, although you can program different (regular) times for each day of the week if you want.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 03.11.2015, 18:25
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 6,611
Groaned at 188 Times in 147 Posts
Thanked 10,975 Times in 4,534 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Randomised Light Timer for house security

This is what you need, but unfortunately this one's for Euro plugs, not Swiss. I can't find Swiss equivalents online right now but ask around, using the terms "Zeitschaltuhr" and "wahllos" or "willkürlich" (in German).
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03.11.2015, 18:33
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 6,611
Groaned at 188 Times in 147 Posts
Thanked 10,975 Times in 4,534 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Randomised Light Timer for house security

This store (ELV) talks on its website about its range of timers and mentions random (zufällig -- yet another synonym!) timers -- maybe you can find what you want there.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 03.11.2015, 18:39
vuachère's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Vaud
Posts: 548
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 334 Times in 188 Posts
vuachère has earned the respect of manyvuachère has earned the respect of manyvuachère has earned the respect of many
Re: Randomised Light Timer for house security

Quote:
View Post
That looks exactly like one that I have and it's an automatic timer switch which works well, but does not have a random function. It won't randomly switch your lights on and off at varying times, which is the objective for theft deterrence, although you can program different (regular) times for each day of the week if you want.
Is the random function really useful? For e.g., I have a routine- very likely, quite a many lights in the flat would be on from a certain hour onwards and would be off after a certain time. If it switches on at, say, 3 a.m., wouldn't that look weird?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03.11.2015, 18:46
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 6,611
Groaned at 188 Times in 147 Posts
Thanked 10,975 Times in 4,534 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Randomised Light Timer for house security

Quote:
View Post
Is the random function really useful? For e.g., I have a routine- very likely, quite a many lights in the flat would be on from a certain hour onwards and would be off after a certain time. If it switches on at, say, 3 a.m., wouldn't that look weird?
The idea is that you set a range for the randomness (this is Switzerland, even chaos is ordered!). For example, the lights come on randomly any time between 17:00 and 18:00 (and different times in different rooms, too), and off any time between 22:00 and 22:45.

Obviously the lack of a fixed routine is meant to dissuade anyone watching your house from breaking in. But they'd have to be fairly dedicated burglars, to be casing your place for a few days. If your house is worth that sort of attention, you've probably got a sophisticated security system in place already.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 03.11.2015, 18:47
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 10,072
Groaned at 267 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 14,184 Times in 5,759 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Randomised Light Timer for house security

Quote:
View Post
That looks exactly like one that I have and it's an automatic timer switch which works well, but does not have a random function. It won't randomly switch your lights on and off at varying times, which is the objective for theft deterrence, although you can program different (regular) times for each day of the week if you want.
Yes it does. And it's for Swiss sockets and plugs.

From the datasheet:

Quote:
• Zufallsgenerator
Der Timer schaltet im Abstand von 10 bis 45 min selber ein und aus
The timer will turn itself on and off in random intervals of between 10 and 45 minutes.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 03.11.2015, 18:48
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 6,611
Groaned at 188 Times in 147 Posts
Thanked 10,975 Times in 4,534 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Randomised Light Timer for house security

Quote:
View Post
Yes it does. And it's for Swiss sockets and plugs.

From the datasheet:



The timer will turn itself on and off in random intervals of between 10 and 45 minutes.
OK, sounds good! It's not the same as mine, then. And it's at a good price, too.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03.11.2015, 18:49
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Was Belgium now Neuchâtel
Posts: 8,227
Groaned at 60 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 10,245 Times in 4,928 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Randomised Light Timer for house security

Quote:
View Post

Obviously the lack of a fixed routine is meant to dissuade anyone watching your house from breaking in. But they'd have to be fairly dedicated burglars, to be casing your place for a few days. If your house is worth that sort of attention, you've probably got a sophisticated security system in place already.
And if they were that dedicated they'd notice that you weren't there in any case.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 03.11.2015, 18:49
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 10,072
Groaned at 267 Times in 211 Posts
Thanked 14,184 Times in 5,759 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Randomised Light Timer for house security

Quote:
View Post
Is the random function really useful? For e.g., I have a routine- very likely, quite a many lights in the flat would be on from a certain hour onwards and would be off after a certain time. If it switches on at, say, 3 a.m., wouldn't that look weird?
The idea (I believe) is you plug lamps into them so one lamp for each timer and not all the lamps for one timer.

Then light would turn on and off at different times.

I wouldn't worry about lights coming on and off at night. That's quite usual if you live in a house with small kids.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 03.11.2015, 18:54
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 11,485
Groaned at 246 Times in 157 Posts
Thanked 13,338 Times in 5,682 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Randomised Light Timer for house security

The idea is that Swiss people go to sleep and wake up at exact times and have clockwork rhythms.

By having a random light, you show that you are a poor, non-integrated foreigner and are therefore unlikely to have money or be worth the trouble of robbing.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 03.11.2015, 19:02
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,310
Groaned at 292 Times in 196 Posts
Thanked 12,189 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Randomised Light Timer for house security

There are also flickering LED lights, meant to simulate a TV - although with a timing option, it doesn't appear to be random.

(sorry - another Landi product plug, although probably available elsewhere)

Quote:
TV-Simulator Micromaxx® MD 16164
Gültig ab 26.10.2015 | SOLANGE Vorrat!
Integrierter Dämmerungssensor. 3 einstellbare Laufzeiten: 4 Std., 7 Std. oder Dauerbetrieb. LED Technik mit geringem Stromverbrauch. Betrieb über beiliegendes Netzteil. Garantie: 3 Jahre. Simuliert einen laufenden Fernseher bei Abwesenheit.

Artikelnummer: 27963
Attached Thumbnails
randomised-light-timer-house-security-890a8167-c872-4414-916b-812a01dce051.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03.11.2015, 19:04
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 11,485
Groaned at 246 Times in 157 Posts
Thanked 13,338 Times in 5,682 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Randomised Light Timer for house security

Quote:
View Post
There are also flickering LED lights, meant to simulate a TV - although with a timing option, it doesn't appear to be random.

(sorry - another Landi product plug, although probably available elsewhere)
how long do you need to operate it until the reduced electricity costs pay for itself (over using a real tv)?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03.11.2015, 19:05
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,310
Groaned at 292 Times in 196 Posts
Thanked 12,189 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Randomised Light Timer for house security

Quote:
View Post
how long do you need to operate it until the reduced electricity costs pay for itself (over using a real tv)?
It's meant as a viable and more interesting alternative to SwissTV channels.
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank TiMow for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 03.11.2015, 19:16
vuachère's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Vaud
Posts: 548
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 334 Times in 188 Posts
vuachère has earned the respect of manyvuachère has earned the respect of manyvuachère has earned the respect of many
Re: Randomised Light Timer for house security

Thank you, 22 yards!

Quote:
View Post
Obviously the lack of a fixed routine is meant to dissuade anyone watching your house from breaking in. But they'd have to be fairly dedicated burglars, to be casing your place for a few days. If your house is worth that sort of attention, you've probably got a sophisticated security system in place already.
None of that sort. In the past 4 months, there's been two break-ins (one in the afternoon; another in the early hours) in the same building. Both studios. I can't understand the criminal rationale behind that unless they mistook those for the larger apartments.

I always thought that the rolling shutters should offer some protection- at least for the balcony and all windows.

Here's Lausanne Police's booklet: http://www.lausanne.ch/lausanne-offi...22_2014_fr.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03.11.2015, 19:56
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Near Geneva
Posts: 2,351
Groaned at 31 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,248 Posts
Anjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond reputeAnjela has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Randomised Light Timer for house security

Quote:
View Post
The idea is that Swiss people go to sleep and wake up at exact times and have clockwork rhythms.

By having a random light, you show that you are a poor, non-integrated foreigner and are therefore unlikely to have money or be worth the trouble of robbing.
Silly Phil.... absolutely everyone knows for a fact that all foreigners have an annual income of over well chf 120k per annum (or whatever the "can I manage on x?" salary query is this month), so we're well worth burgling!

Last edited by Anjela; 03.11.2015 at 20:27.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04.11.2015, 09:19
Tripazia's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bern
Posts: 10
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tripazia has no particular reputation at present
Re: Randomised Light Timer for house security

Quote:
View Post
This is what you need, but unfortunately this one's for Euro plugs, not Swiss. I can't find Swiss equivalents online right now but ask around, using the terms "Zeitschaltuhr" and "wahllos" or "willkürlich" (in German).
Thanks, btu I can't see the link...? Maybe if everything else fails one with a Euro plug can be used with an adapter
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No light fixtures in new house rosina.hase Housing in general 15 05.08.2014 19:19
20% deposit.. use existing house as security? alanmack Housing in general 11 14.05.2011 00:18
For Sale: Stainless steel "up-light" with reading light [Geneva] ben.lloyd Items for sale 1 19.04.2007 12:22


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0