Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 28.01.2011, 00:51
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Vaud
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
alikiw has no particular reputation at present
Romanian nanny permit

Hello , I am hoping someone of you may be able to help me out. I am emailing back and forth with someone I would like to hire for a nanny position, and she is romanian.

At the controle de l'habitant they told me to bring her over and then she presents herself and we complete papers and she gets a pemit.

Immigration lawyer told me to forget it as until 2016 there are restrictions.

We really like this lady and do not want to jeopardise to bring her over amd then get her refused. Not fair for her or the baby,

Any advice or any romanian membesr that can give me first hand advice please ?

Thanks!

Misti
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 28.01.2011, 10:49
swisspea's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: From one side of lake Zurich to the other...
Posts: 5,506
Groaned at 33 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 5,034 Times in 2,432 Posts
swisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Romanian nanny permit

I am curious too if anyone has any recent experience or info - I am hoping to get permission for a colleague for a short term (1-3 months) work permit...she is also Romanian...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 28.01.2011, 10:54
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 187
Groaned at 69 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 98 Times in 56 Posts
Number7 is considered unworthyNumber7 is considered unworthyNumber7 is considered unworthyNumber7 is considered unworthy
Re: Romanian nanny permit

yes im interested in any experience with Russian Nannies?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users groan at Number7 for this post:
  #4  
Old 28.01.2011, 11:02
swisspea's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: From one side of lake Zurich to the other...
Posts: 5,506
Groaned at 33 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 5,034 Times in 2,432 Posts
swisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Romanian nanny permit

OK, so I think I answered my own question using this website:
http://ec.europa.eu/eures/main.jsp?a...tions=1&step=2

To get a short term work permit, we will have to demonstrate that we can't find someone in Switzerland to do the job. But the 'up' side is that there's no quota for Romanians so as long as we have the dossier, prove she fits the job, and pay her the right salary, they shouldn't have any reason to deny our request...

As a tourist, she can come over 3 months a year without a visa, but to work she has to get the residency and work permits issued before entry...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank swisspea for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 28.01.2011, 16:38
ChatdeChocolat's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: St-Prex
Posts: 159
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 117 Times in 62 Posts
ChatdeChocolat has earned the respect of manyChatdeChocolat has earned the respect of manyChatdeChocolat has earned the respect of many
Re: Romanian nanny permit

Quote:
View Post
yes im interested in any experience with Russian Nannies?
I'm sorry, Russian is not Romanian and hasn't got the same rights/quotas etc. as Romanians. Learn your nationalities.

@alikiw, @ swisspea: As far as I know, there still are quotas for Romanians and Bulgarians, even though we no longer need visas to stay as tourists. It is easier than with Non-EU as there are independent quotas, but a file still has to be made, proving you did search within CH and EU17 and not found anyone else with the same qualifications. There may be however a possibility that nannies and au-pairs would have slightly different conditions, but I have no idea how that would work
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 28.01.2011, 17:34
swissbob
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Blog Entries: 8
Re: Romanian nanny permit

Quote:
View Post
There may be however a possibility that nannies and au-pairs would have slightly different conditions, but I have no idea how that would work
Au pairs, yes. They have different permits issued under certain obligations on the side of the employer.

Nannies no.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 26.04.2015, 21:03
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Wollerau
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
a-team has no particular reputation at present
Re: Romanian nanny permit

Hi Misti, appreciate this conversation thread was some time ago - I was just curious to know how you demonstrated that the work could not be done by a swiss national? Did you have to prepare a document or show how you advertised the role etc? Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 26.04.2015, 21:18
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 5,123
Groaned at 189 Times in 148 Posts
Thanked 6,088 Times in 3,292 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Romanian nanny permit

Quote:
View Post
Hi Misti, appreciate this conversation thread was some time ago - I was just curious to know how you demonstrated that the work could not be done by a swiss national? Did you have to prepare a document or show how you advertised the role etc? Thanks
Last Activity: 24.03.2014 12:19

I don't know if OP got that permit, but I know from various sources that usually is close to IMPOSSIBLE to get a permit for this type of jobs, for EU-2 nationals.
I'm thinking you can try bringing a nanny from EU-25. That includes most of the new EU countries. Hope that helps....
Good luck!

Last edited by greenmount; 26.04.2015 at 21:29.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 26.04.2015, 21:35
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Wollerau
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
a-team has no particular reputation at present
Re: Romanian nanny permit

Thanks - yes I'm starting to get the sense it's basically impossible. Although this person is already in Swirzerland. I don't know if that helps things. I'm going to try and find out more with the local gemeinde tomorrow. It's getting harder and harder it seems!!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank a-team for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 26.04.2015, 21:39
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 5,123
Groaned at 189 Times in 148 Posts
Thanked 6,088 Times in 3,292 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Romanian nanny permit

Quote:
View Post
Thanks - yes I'm starting to get the sense it's basically impossible. Although this person is already in Swirzerland. I don't know if that helps things. I'm going to try and find out more with the local gemeinde tomorrow. It's getting harder and harder it seems!!
She might be here as a visitor, staying with friends/family and looking for a job, or she might already have a residence permit (preferably B/C), which will change the situation.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 26.04.2015, 21:42
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Wollerau
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
a-team has no particular reputation at present
Re: Romanian nanny permit

She has L Permit, which expired in about 3 weeks. Do you know if that changes things? I'm having a difficult time trying to find any information online for this type of scenario
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 26.04.2015, 21:46
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 5,123
Groaned at 189 Times in 148 Posts
Thanked 6,088 Times in 3,292 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Romanian nanny permit

Quote:
View Post
She has L Permit, which expired in about 3 weeks. Do you know if that changes things? I'm having a difficult time trying to find any information online for this type of scenario
I don't know, better ask at the gemeinde. It doesn't cost you anything to ask/try.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 26.04.2015, 21:54
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Wollerau
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
a-team has no particular reputation at present
Re: Romanian nanny permit

Agree - will do tomorrow. Fingers crossed....
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank a-team for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 26.04.2015, 23:08
princessduck's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 883
Groaned at 52 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 485 Times in 263 Posts
princessduck has an excellent reputationprincessduck has an excellent reputationprincessduck has an excellent reputationprincessduck has an excellent reputation
Re: Romanian nanny permit

If you really want her, then you have to explain why: in case she has a special education that you want from a Nanny, or if she speaks more languages and that you want her to teach to your child , or a certain way of cooking or her age (you want older because she has more experience, if she has more) or she has more experience than the other Nannies you interviewed etc. I came here as an Au Pair almost 5 yrs ago and my host family had to explain why. It is not impossible. You just have to know what and how to say you want to hire her.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 27.04.2015, 00:01
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 5,123
Groaned at 189 Times in 148 Posts
Thanked 6,088 Times in 3,292 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Romanian nanny permit

Quote:
View Post
If you really want her, then you have to explain why: in case she has a special education that you want from a Nanny, or if she speaks more languages and that you want her to teach to your child , or a certain way of cooking or her age (you want older because she has more experience, if she has more) or she has more experience than the other Nannies you interviewed etc. I came here as an Au Pair almost 5 yrs ago and my host family had to explain why. It is not impossible. You just have to know what and how to say you want to hire her.
I think au-pair has a different status than nanny, and it's not subjected to quotas. (I might be wrong though)
It's "funny" they asked your host family all these questions, as an au-pair comes to learn the language...primarily....sigh.
Anyway, I agree your arguments could be used to justify why they want to hire that nanny and not a Swiss/E.U.-25 nanny. (but it will be difficult)

Last edited by greenmount; 27.04.2015 at 00:14.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 27.04.2015, 08:55
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Wollerau
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
a-team has no particular reputation at present
Re: Romanian nanny permit

What I find frustrating is that I have been advertising and working with agencies for months and interviewed many potentials and only this one actually fits for us (for a number of reasons - some very tangible reasons and the other is just the chemistry). So it should be a walk in the park, but I'm pretty sure it won't be.... and in addition, all these restrictions go away as of May 2016!!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank a-team for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 27.04.2015, 11:49
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 5,123
Groaned at 189 Times in 148 Posts
Thanked 6,088 Times in 3,292 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Romanian nanny permit

Quote:
View Post
What I find frustrating is that I have been advertising and working with agencies for months and interviewed many potentials and only this one actually fits for us (for a number of reasons - some very tangible reasons and the other is just the chemistry). So it should be a walk in the park, but I'm pretty sure it won't be.... and in addition, all these restrictions go away as of May 2016!!
I know. But try to apply for a short term permit and explain your reasons...you never know, maybe you (both) are lucky. I think you need a file, bring proof of your advertising for this job and that you have already interviewed other candidates.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 27.04.2015, 11:55
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Wollerau
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
a-team has no particular reputation at present
Re: Romanian nanny permit

So I just rang the local work authorities in my canton. They said I would need to ring another office in the canton (AHV) to arrange appointment to present case and explain position and they would run a check to see if anyone Swiss or EU-25 could fill position etc and they decide if the permit was granted. I asked if the fact she was already in Switzerland and had worked here before would make a difference and they said no. So I rang the local AHV office (not in my actual town, but nearby) and they said I didn't need an appointment with them - I needed to follow process by local Gemeinde. So I have just spoken with local Gemeinde and explained full situation (nationality, position, current permit status etc) and they have said it is no problem, she needs to deregister in her current canton and reregister in my canton, with proof of contract and passport. Nothing else needed. I stressed again the nationality, current L permit etc... again, no problem.

Could it be?!! Or is something lost in translation here?! perhaps they are thinking of just registration process rather than the actual issue of a permit... hmmmm. Confusing. This is where I wish my german was MUCH better.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 27.04.2015, 12:01
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 5,123
Groaned at 189 Times in 148 Posts
Thanked 6,088 Times in 3,292 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Romanian nanny permit

Quote:
View Post
So I just rang the local work authorities in my canton. They said I would need to ring another office in the canton (AHV) to arrange appointment to present case and explain position and they would run a check to see if anyone Swiss or EU-25 could fill position etc and they decide if the permit was granted. I asked if the fact she was already in Switzerland and had worked here before would make a difference and they said no. So I rang the local AHV office (not in my actual town, but nearby) and they said I didn't need an appointment with them - I needed to follow process by local Gemeinde. So I have just spoken with local Gemeinde and explained full situation (nationality, position, current permit status etc) and they have said it is no problem, she needs to deregister in her current canton and reregister in my canton, with proof of contract and passport. Nothing else needed. I stressed again the nationality, current L permit etc... again, no problem.

Could it be?!! Or is something lost in translation here?! perhaps they are thinking of just registration process rather than the actual issue of a permit... hmmmm. Confusing. This is where I wish my german was MUCH better.
I guess they are thinking of just registration because it's not them who're issuing work permits. You better go there in person because speaking on the phone it's one thing and face to face is another. I'm sure they have at least one person who speaks English there.

Maybe domestic workers have a slightly different status?
Here's some info about domestic workers
http://www.seco.admin.ch/dokumentati...x.html?lang=en
and here a standard form of employment contract
https://www.eda.admin.ch/missions/mi...ordinance.html

Last edited by greenmount; 27.04.2015 at 12:33.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 27.04.2015, 12:38
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Wollerau
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
a-team has no particular reputation at present
Re: Romanian nanny permit

I just checked with them again - apparently they collect everything and send all the paperwork off to the migration office on our behalf for the permit. I'm not sure, perhaps it's something specific here to the Gemeinde...
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Romanian language lessons? rowlandh General off-topic 4 29.07.2011 00:27
Questions for the Romanian community WYSIWYG General off-topic 0 06.01.2010 16:40
Romanian Rright In Switzerland*** el.magico88 Daily life 3 20.09.2009 21:29
Romanian in Zurich bom Introductions 4 19.10.2007 07:37


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0