Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 15.04.2008, 19:25
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 49
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
maxje79 has no particular reputation at present
Re: EU Permits - A few bullet points

I was thinking to register at the Swiss Embassy in Australia to get the ball rolling...
I just couldn't find any success stories and was getting frustrated.
The plan would be to come here for 6 month on a tourist visa, register the partnership straight away and then hopefully have it changed to a permit to allow him to work.
Impossible? Should I start packing?
Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 26.05.2008, 12:27
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lc_craze has no particular reputation at present
Re: EU Permits - A few bullet points

Hi,

I'm a EU 17 citizen. I just found a permanent job and I went to the Gemeinde for an extension of my permit which was an L before. My new employer asked for a copy of my B which I don't have.
Can I legally work in CH without a permit, because they have taken it with the rest of my documents. I only have a registration confirmation dating from December. And am I entitled to a B permit. When I registered in January they gave me an L but only had a six month contract.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 28.05.2008, 12:41
WorldTraveller's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Aarau
Posts: 511
Groaned at 9 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 151 Times in 101 Posts
WorldTraveller has earned some respectWorldTraveller has earned some respect
Re: EU Permits - A few bullet points

Does anyone have any information about the new Alien's law beginning 2008? Any link would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 28.05.2008, 12:47
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 5,531
Groaned at 125 Times in 110 Posts
Thanked 3,297 Times in 1,737 Posts
Shorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU Permits - A few bullet points

Quote:
View Post
Does anyone have any information about the new Alien's law beginning 2008? Any link would be appreciated.
Yes, it's linked to in the topmost post of this thread (in two languages...) - and is irrelevant to your situation.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 08.06.2008, 01:11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
HannahMCollard has no particular reputation at present
Re: EU Permits - A few bullet points

Hi Shorrick,

I am moving to Zurich in August, but have heard if your looking for a job and havent got one in 3 months, u have to go back to your country. Is this true? Is it definatly 6 months? Also, who do i contact to get a work permit?

Thanks,

Hannah
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 08.06.2008, 10:09
swissbob
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Blog Entries: 8
Re: EU Permits - A few bullet points

Quote:
View Post
Hi Shorrick,

I am moving to Zurich in August, but have heard if your looking for a job and havent got one in 3 months, u have to go back to your country. Is this true? Is it definatly 6 months? Also, who do i contact to get a work permit?

Thanks,

Hannah
Did you search the forums at all?

Did you even read this thread?

Spend a few minutes of your time and you will answer these are probably most of your other questions.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 13.06.2008, 01:53
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: ireland
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
rachel oconnor has no particular reputation at present
salary necessary to support a partner

I will be moving to Zurick to be with my partner of two years and he has a job paying about 85000 francs....would this be regarded as enough to support the two of us as I have to get my self employed music teaching and playing career off the ground...I have read that my partner can vouch for me and say that he will support me and I may possibly have to show that I have a healthy bank account in order to support myself as I try to build up my income...Any feed back is appreciated....we hope to start a family in Zurick and I wonder are there any other problems to be aware of....Both of us are eu citizens///Irish and German.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 21.06.2008, 13:30
Laurita's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Florence
Posts: 19
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Laurita has no particular reputation at present
Re: EU Permits - Job documents

Hello!!!

I am beginning to work in Zurich next august, on the 1st. I am Italian, and I would like to know, if some Italians maybe can help me, which documentas are necessary or which steps need to be taken to be legally settled in Zurich.

Thanks so much!!!
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 21.06.2008, 13:58
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 5,531
Groaned at 125 Times in 110 Posts
Thanked 3,297 Times in 1,737 Posts
Shorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU Permits - Job documents

Quote:
View Post
Hello!!!

I am beginning to work in Zurich next august, on the 1st. I am Italian, and I would like to know, if some Italians maybe can help me, which documentas are necessary or which steps need to be taken to be legally settled in Zurich.

Thanks so much!!!
Ciao signorina,

You need to go to the Immigration office with a copy of your work contract, passport and photos.

See this link: http://www.arbeitsbewilligungen.zh.c...gen_eu_en.html
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Shorrick Mk2 for this useful post:
  #70  
Old 14.07.2008, 18:10
vvv vvv is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 183
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 27 Times in 20 Posts
vvv has no particular reputation at present
Re: EU Permits - A few bullet points

Quote:
View Post
Seen the haemorrhage of EU nationals asking oft-answered questions, time comes for another sticky, in the form of Q&A this time.

(applicable to EU-17 countries)



Q. Can I search for a job in Switzerland?
A. Yes. You will be given a 6-month residence permit allowing you to search for jobs.

.
6 months? Why swiss embassy told me that I need to look up a job within 3 months? see below link:

http://www.eda.admin.ch/eda/en/home/...mbsto/faq.html
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 14.07.2008, 18:15
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 5,531
Groaned at 125 Times in 110 Posts
Thanked 3,297 Times in 1,737 Posts
Shorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU Permits - A few bullet points

Quote:
View Post
6 months? Why swiss embassy told me that I need to look up a job within 3 months? see below link:

http://www.eda.admin.ch/eda/en/home/...mbsto/faq.html
After the initial three months are over you can apply for a three months "jobseekers' permit". That's not detailed in that link.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Shorrick Mk2 for this useful post:
  #72  
Old 14.07.2008, 18:20
vvv vvv is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Baden
Posts: 183
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 27 Times in 20 Posts
vvv has no particular reputation at present
Re: EU Permits - A few bullet points

Quote:
View Post
After the initial three months are over you can apply for a three months "jobseekers' permit". That's not detailed in that link.
I thought that was a special treatment that Switzerland grant to Sweden, as anybody hold the EU/EEU paaspot doesn't need to apply the work permit to work in Sweden, except swiss people if they intend to stay longer than 3 months.

But thanks Shorrick Mk2
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 20.07.2008, 11:16
binedave's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 27
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
binedave has no particular reputation at present
Re: EU Permits - A few bullet points

Thanks for the summary, Shorrick.

Here are some facts about us and some questions - can you please help?

1. German and British citizen thus both EU, thus no work permit required right?

2. German citizen has work contract with Zurich company starting 1 December 2008.

3. When approaching landlord for renting flat we need the residence permit right? How can we apply for a residence permit when we don't know where we are going to be successful with our rental agreement, i.e. if we are looking in Canton Zurich but then find something in Canton Zug, we can't waltz in at the Immigration-Amt in Zurich and get a residence permit (with no address to give them) and then move to Zug or the other way round. I hope you know what I mean? It feels so "chicken and egg" to me.

Is one supposed to just be c/o of a Hotel? Or is the employer (in my case a very small company with no experience in hiring foreigners) responsible for getting the residence permit for me/us?

Many thanks for your help again

Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 20.07.2008, 11:24
swissbob
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Blog Entries: 8
Re: EU Permits - A few bullet points

Quote:
View Post
1. German and British citizen thus both EU, thus no work permit required right?
Effectively, correct.

Quote:
View Post
3. When approaching landlord for renting flat we need the residence permit right?
Not necessarily, depends on the landlord. eg. I have never had to show mine.

Quote:
View Post
How can we apply for a residence permit when we don't know where we are going to be successful with our rental agreement, i.e. if we are looking in Canton Zurich but then find something in Canton Zug, we can't waltz in at the Immigration-Amt in Zurich and get a residence permit (with no address to give them) and then move to Zug or the other way round.
Yes, you can, in fact that is the correct thing to do.

Quote:
View Post
Is one supposed to just be c/o of a Hotel?
Yes, you can do that, the local town hall will advise you on what to do when you find a longer term place.

Quote:
View Post
Or is the employer (in my case a very small company with no experience in hiring foreigners) responsible for getting the residence permit for me/us?
No.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #75  
Old 20.07.2008, 11:38
binedave's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 27
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
binedave has no particular reputation at present
Re: EU Permits - A few bullet points

Quote:
View Post


Yes, you can, in fact that is the correct thing to do.



No.
Thanks for the quick reply. some more questions

Do I therefore go to the immigration office in Zurich and say "here's my passport and contract of employment, I haven't found a place to live yet but give me my residence permit anyway?"

Or

Do I wait until I have sorted the flat / appartment out and then go to the immigration office/Gemeindeamt in the respective Gemeinde/Kanton?


AND

We are planning to combine our "holiday" with the useful things in life, ie come to Zurich on 1 October and spend as long as it takes to get a place to live in and all the other things sorted. In your experience shoudl this suffice to get an abode before 1 Dec 08?

Can we do anything before going out there physically, ie could we apply for residenc epermits via email?
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 20.07.2008, 11:44
swissbob
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Blog Entries: 8
Re: EU Permits - A few bullet points

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. some more questions

Do I therefore go to the immigration office in Zurich and say "here's my passport and contract of employment, I haven't found a place to live yet but give me my residence permit anyway?"

Or

Do I wait until I have sorted the flat / appartment out and then go to the immigration office/Gemeindeamt in the respective Gemeinde/Kanton?


AND

We are planning to combine our "holiday" with the useful things in life, ie come to Zurich on 1 October and spend as long as it takes to get a place to live in and all the other things sorted. In your experience shoudl this suffice to get an abode before 1 Dec 08?

Can we do anything before going out there physically, ie could we apply for residenc epermits via email?
You have to register within 8 days of arriving in Switzerland although you could play the vacation card and only arrive officially when you find a place - but that won't help you if you need a residence permit for the landlord (the least you would have would be a letterf rom the local town hall saying it was being processed).

If you can't find somewhere suitable in 3 months then you are maybe a bit too fussy .
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 20.07.2008, 12:04
binedave's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 27
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
binedave has no particular reputation at present
Re: salary necessary to support a partner

Quote:
View Post
I will be moving to Zurick to be with my partner of two years and he has a job paying about 85000 francs....would this be regarded as enough to support the two of us as I have to get my self employed music teaching and playing career off the ground...I have read that my partner can vouch for me and say that he will support me and I may possibly have to show that I have a healthy bank account in order to support myself as I try to build up my income...Any feed back is appreciated....we hope to start a family in Zurick and I wonder are there any other problems to be aware of....Both of us are eu citizens///Irish and German.
Hi
From the tons of material we have read so far you have the right for "Familienzusammenfuehrung" or "-nachholung" which means that EU citizens can have their first degree family accompany them or they could follow a bit later (but I think within 5 years). That includes, parents, children, spouse (legally married).

I don't know what happens if you're "only" girlfriend and boyfriend. Maybe call the Zurich Immigrationamt they have been quite friendly so far on the telephone to us (but I do have to add that I speak German and therefore I don't know whether their staff all speak English)

Get the book "living and working in switzerland". It's full of useful stuff. Or go to the websites other people have recommended www.bfm.admin.ch etc

GOOD LUCK
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 19.08.2008, 22:33
delfinita's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Luzern, Switzerland
Posts: 172
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 35 Times in 20 Posts
delfinita has made some interesting contributions
Re: salary necessary to support a partner

I have read the whole thread. I got a B permit on the way (approved letter with me already), i am a Spanish citizen hired by a swiss company that made my paperwork.
My fiancee is swedish, we have lived together for 4 years in Spain and Sweden and now he is coming to Switzerland to look for a job. He can sure stay and look for a job for 3 months and extend the search for another 3 months, that is clear. But what happens if he doesnt find anything?
I met with the girl who takes care of that in my company today and asked her about my partner. She said i should NOT mention my partner when i go register to the city and that we should register separately. She said i should NOT try to talk to inmigration about him getting the B permit thru me because we are not married. He has to do his own. I wondered then if she was concerned that i'd loose my permit or something if i mention that i intend to bring my boyfriend???? I am guessing that it is impossible. I work for a swiss company and i have a B permit approved.

That got me confused and she didn't have any answers.

so...what would happen if he doesnt find a job in 6 months? Yes ok, go back to sweden without me but he DOES have the means to sustain himself over here even without me. How to prove those?

It kills me that even though we are partners (not documents signed though) and getting married next year, he cannot have permit from me.
In Sweden we are "Sambos", swedish government gives out residence permits if the two people live together as a couple.

So thing is, if he doesnt find a job in 6 months (and after being extended for some more) is there any other way to prevent him from leaving my side?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 20.08.2008, 23:33
Madzie's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 20
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Madzie has made some interesting contributions
Re: EU Permits - A few bullet points

Quote:
View Post
You have to register within 8 days of arriving in Switzerland although you could play the vacation card and only arrive officially when you find a place.
Thanks Shorrick and Swissbob, your dudeness precedes you - forum legends indeed! A quick question on what counts as a "holiday" in Switz for EU (17) nationals. I have a full British passport I'm thinking of coming on "holiday" next month for around 3 weeks, equipped with travel insurance etc. before I go back to South Africa for a wedding in Oct. I'll be staying with my (Swiss) boyfriend and hope to start looking for work even though I'm technically "on holiday". Am I going to run into trouble doing this? I am already registered with various Swiss employment agencies from here in London.

Also, when I return from South Africa, I'm guessing I need to register with the cantonal authorities within 8 days (was it?) to get a jobseekers residence permit lasting three months and I'll need to get Swiss insurance. If this permit runs out I have the option of another 3-month permit and if I don't have a job by then I'm screwed? (I heard a rumour that the three-month requirement was recently dropped, is that wishful thinking?)

Finally, seeing as I'll probably be out of the country at some point again in that time should I think of continuing my "holiday" when I get back from SA? What documentation will I need to take to the cantonal authorities to register?

Apologies for any repetition ...I have read this thread but just wanted to make my question clear.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 28.08.2008, 11:59
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 5,531
Groaned at 125 Times in 110 Posts
Thanked 3,297 Times in 1,737 Posts
Shorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: EU Permits - A few bullet points

Quote:
View Post
Thanks Shorrick and Swissbob, your dudeness precedes you - forum legends indeed! A quick question on what counts as a "holiday" in Switz for EU (17) nationals. I have a full British passport I'm thinking of coming on "holiday" next month for around 3 weeks, equipped with travel insurance etc. before I go back to South Africa for a wedding in Oct. I'll be staying with my (Swiss) boyfriend and hope to start looking for work even though I'm technically "on holiday". Am I going to run into trouble doing this? I am already registered with various Swiss employment agencies from here in London.
There's nothing preventing you from looking for a job while on holidays.

Quote:
Also, when I return from South Africa, I'm guessing I need to register with the cantonal authorities within 8 days (was it?) to get a jobseekers residence permit lasting three months and I'll need to get Swiss insurance. If this permit runs out I have the option of another 3-month permit and if I don't have a job by then I'm screwed? (I heard a rumour that the three-month requirement was recently dropped, is that wishful thinking?)
That's not quite right. You can stay three months without any permit whatsoever, then once those three months run out you apply for a three month permit. Bear in mind that in principle the initial three weeks will count as part of the three months total you're allowed to spend permitless (although no one really checks). No requirements have been dropped sofar.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
eu national, eu permit, permit, residence, sticky thread




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Non-EU Permits - a few bullet points. Shorrick Mk2 Permits/visas/government 644 13.10.2016 20:11
Different Permits Tiger Permits/visas/government 12 13.03.2010 21:25
Permits PlantHead Complaints corner 1 15.08.2007 14:48
UBS Key Club Points Nickj Finance/banking/taxation 6 26.07.2007 18:49
Cumulus points for Rolling Stones Oldhand Daily life 18 15.07.2007 16:33


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0