Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 24.04.2012, 23:09
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Valais
Posts: 121
Groaned at 118 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Argent is considered unworthyArgent is considered unworthyArgent is considered unworthyArgent is considered unworthy
Re: Social welfare benefit ( EU citizen ) after unemployment benefits

Quote:
View Post
Yep, when and if you start earning, win the Lottery or comes into any inheritance- it has to be paid back- as my brother found to his discomfiture. As soon as he got the money, it was taken away from him.
Did he start a new job? He was asked to repay after what period? 1,2,3 months after starting job? 3 months is still a trial period in Swiss companies.

Last edited by Argent; 24.04.2012 at 23:20.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 24.04.2012, 23:25
jrspet's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Quaint Wädenswil, Zürich, CH
Posts: 8,153
Groaned at 29 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 7,036 Times in 3,912 Posts
jrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Social welfare benefit ( EU citizen ) after unemployment benefits

In my Canton, Sozialhilfe is provided up to 3 months into a decent paid job ( ie above CHF3,500 a month ), or 6 months if being self employed with a sound business plan.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 26.04.2012, 09:28
Vlh22's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK, formerly Vaud
Posts: 1,213
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 1,629 Times in 562 Posts
Vlh22 has a reputation beyond reputeVlh22 has a reputation beyond reputeVlh22 has a reputation beyond reputeVlh22 has a reputation beyond reputeVlh22 has a reputation beyond reputeVlh22 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Social welfare benefit ( EU citizen ) after unemployment benefits

I'm starting to think my social services must follow a different set of rules from the rest of Switzerland...

I start a new job on the 1st May. They told me that when I start work and am earning more than 400 chf a month, they will not deduct the first 200 chf I earn from my RI payments.

So if for example I earn 1,500 chf a month... they will deduct 1,300 chf from my RI payments. Leaving me 200 chf better off.

They will also give me 10 chf per day for lunch and pay my transportation costs.

Of course this may be because I won't be earning enough to be free of social aid, but still... they're not exactly falling over themselves to demand their money back!

They actually paid me more than they should have done the first month I was on social aid, and I do have to pay that back, 'in time'. However when I asked my social worker how I went about making payments using this 200 chf a month 'extra', she nearly fell off her chair.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 26.04.2012, 09:59
jrspet's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Quaint Wädenswil, Zürich, CH
Posts: 8,153
Groaned at 29 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 7,036 Times in 3,912 Posts
jrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Social welfare benefit ( EU citizen ) after unemployment benefits

Quote:
View Post
I'm starting to think my social services must follow a different set of rules from the rest of Switzerland...

I start a new job on the 1st May. They told me that when I start work and am earning more than 400 chf a month, they will not deduct the first 200 chf I earn from my RI payments.

So if for example I earn 1,500 chf a month... they will deduct 1,300 chf from my RI payments. Leaving me 200 chf better off.

They will also give me 10 chf per day for lunch and pay my transportation costs.

Of course this may be because I won't be earning enough to be free of social aid, but still... they're not exactly falling over themselves to demand their money back!

They actually paid me more than they should have done the first month I was on social aid, and I do have to pay that back, 'in time'. However when I asked my social worker how I went about making payments using this 200 chf a month 'extra', she nearly fell off her chair.
This allowance terms in DE is the EFB ( Einkommensfreibetrag ). This is an incentive to be kept busy and active, but up to a certain limit before it is reduced from your social aid. In Canton Zürich, the various parishes ( Gemeinde ) follow SKOS rules and allow between CHF600 to CHF800 per month. If one were to find a job that pays CHF1,200, then about CHF400 to CHF600 is garnished from your social aid funds.

Another one is the IZU ( Integrationszulage ) and MIZ ( minimale Integrationszulage ) - allowances for integration ( such as language courses ) - the IZU / MIZ does not affect your basic social aid.

Glossary of terms in DE here.
Attached Thumbnails
social-welfare-benefit-eu-citizen-after-unemployment-benefits-handbookterms.jpg  
__________________
404 – punoɟ ʇou ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ

Last edited by jrspet; 26.04.2012 at 10:10.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 26.04.2012, 13:25
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 8,851
Groaned at 86 Times in 77 Posts
Thanked 7,398 Times in 3,732 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Social welfare benefit ( EU citizen ) after unemployment benefits

Quote:
View Post
I'm starting to think my social services must follow a different set of rules from the rest of Switzerland...

I start a new job on the 1st May. They told me that when I start work and am earning more than 400 chf a month, they will not deduct the first 200 chf I earn from my RI payments.

So if for example I earn 1,500 chf a month... they will deduct 1,300 chf from my RI payments. Leaving me 200 chf better off.

They will also give me 10 chf per day for lunch and pay my transportation costs.

Of course this may be because I won't be earning enough to be free of social aid, but still... they're not exactly falling over themselves to demand their money back!

They actually paid me more than they should have done the first month I was on social aid, and I do have to pay that back, 'in time'. However when I asked my social worker how I went about making payments using this 200 chf a month 'extra', she nearly fell off her chair.
As I said on the other post, you are signed off sick. I don't think it's the same thing as getting social help for being unemployed.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 16.08.2015, 09:35
crazykittylady's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Glatt
Posts: 770
Groaned at 117 Times in 68 Posts
Thanked 687 Times in 341 Posts
crazykittylady has a reputation beyond reputecrazykittylady has a reputation beyond reputecrazykittylady has a reputation beyond reputecrazykittylady has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Social welfare benefit ( EU citizen ) after unemployment benefits

Quote:
View Post
As I said on the other post, you are signed off sick. I don't think it's the same thing as getting social help for being unemployed.
From what I've read, social help for disability is paid even if the spouse is working and the amount does not need to be paid back.

This is the only link I found: http://www.migraweb.ch/en/themen/soc...lidenvorsorge/

Just doing some catastrophic financial planning... But I'm wondering, it's not really mentioned here. Does anyone know for sure?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 16.08.2015, 11:33
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 18,138
Groaned at 927 Times in 723 Posts
Thanked 19,712 Times in 9,476 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Social welfare benefit ( EU citizen ) after unemployment benefits

Quote:
View Post
From what I've read, social help for disability is paid even if the spouse is working and the amount does not need to be paid back.

This is the only link I found: http://www.migraweb.ch/en/themen/soc...lidenvorsorge/

Just doing some catastrophic financial planning... But I'm wondering, it's not really mentioned here. Does anyone know for sure?
Correct.

This is also true for social payments paid to widows/widowers.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 16.08.2015, 14:18
Vlh22's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK, formerly Vaud
Posts: 1,213
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 1,629 Times in 562 Posts
Vlh22 has a reputation beyond reputeVlh22 has a reputation beyond reputeVlh22 has a reputation beyond reputeVlh22 has a reputation beyond reputeVlh22 has a reputation beyond reputeVlh22 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Social welfare benefit ( EU citizen ) after unemployment benefits

Quote:
View Post
From what I've read, social help for disability is paid even if the spouse is working and the amount does not need to be paid back.

This is the only link I found: http://www.migraweb.ch/en/themen/soc...lidenvorsorge/

Just doing some catastrophic financial planning... But I'm wondering, it's not really mentioned here. Does anyone know for sure?
The help which the link refers to can take a long time to come through. First you have to go through a back-to-work assessment process that can take over two years, assessing your level of disability and whether you could go back to work with adjustments or not. If you are assessed as being fit to work at 50%, they may pay for retraining if judged necessary.

If / When it becomes clear that you are not able to go back to work, you then start a new round of assessments. This can take over a year, will involve medical reports being required from all medical professionals involved in your care, and may well end up in you having to wait to see one of the invalidity insurance doctors for their opinion (and waiting lists for this can be up to another year). When all of this is done, you will be assessed as being unable to work at a certain percent. You will then receive a disability pension, and may be assessed as being able to work for low pay in a protected environment.

Whether you get any money while the process is going on varies a great deal from case to case. If, as a foreigner, you haven't paid enough into the Swiss system you won't get any benefits while this is going on and you may not be entitled to a pension at the end of it. This won't speed up the process however (I speak from personal experience here). If you fall into this category, you will have to rely on social assistance until a decision is made, and, if your home country has any kind of reciprocal agreement with Switzerland, you may well have to try and make a claim from benefits from your home country.

Even if you do get benefits while the assessment is going on, they can be stopped, for example if you do not attend your assessment work placement you won't get benefits for that day - even if the reason you don't attend is because you're ill, or in hospital.

So to summarise, getting these benefits is uncertain and can take up to four years, and varies a great deal from case to case.

I'm in the process myself and live in a foyer with other people who are in the process, and I can honestly say that each case is different. But the common factor is the length of time it takes.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unemployment benefits - After the PhD vlad_island Employment 60 04.07.2014 13:31
Non EU B-Permit Unemployment Benefits numberone Employment 2 04.08.2011 08:12
Unemployment benefit EU citizen with 5yrs B permit zurichzoro Employment 2 05.05.2011 18:18
How do I claim unemployment benefit (am EU citizen with 5 year B permit) jackleaves Employment 12 15.10.2009 20:01
Unemployment benefits as Non EU?? kvrbpl Permits/visas/government 1 27.09.2008 19:21


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0