Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04.11.2013, 18:28
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deactivated
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rich98 has no particular reputation at present
New Baby UK Passport

Hi,

Does anyone know what the procedure is for applying for a UK passport for a child born in Switzerland (British Parents)?

We have requested the international birth certificate but are confused about where to apply for the passport. When we renewed our own passports a couple of years ago we were told to apply to the Paris embassy but my wife spoke to the UK Passport agency today and was told to send it to directly to them.

Has the Paris embassy stopped managing UK Passports for Switzerland now? We just wanted to check before embarking on the process as time is tight for us to visit relatives at Christmas and they are quoting a 6 week turnaround!

Thanks as always...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04.11.2013, 18:40
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Was Belgium now Neuchâtel
Posts: 8,205
Groaned at 60 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 10,227 Times in 4,915 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Baby UK Passport

Quote:
View Post
Hi,

Does anyone know what the procedure is for applying for a UK passport for a child born in Switzerland (British Parents)?

We have requested the international birth certificate but are confused about where to apply for the passport. When we renewed our own passports a couple of years ago we were told to apply to the Paris embassy but my wife spoke to the UK Passport agency today and was told to send it to directly to them.

Has the Paris embassy stopped managing UK Passports for Switzerland now? We just wanted to check before embarking on the process as time is tight for us to visit relatives at Christmas and they are quoting a 6 week turnaround!

Thanks as always...
Yes the Paris embassy has stopped doing it now. Applications have to be sent directly to Durham in the UK now.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04.11.2013, 18:49
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deactivated
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rich98 has no particular reputation at present
Re: New Baby UK Passport

Many thanks for the confirmation.

Best Regards
Richard
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06.02.2014, 19:29
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Schaffhausen
Posts: 219
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 148 Times in 78 Posts
jwlhall has earned the respect of manyjwlhall has earned the respect of manyjwlhall has earned the respect of many
Re: New Baby UK Passport

Quote:
View Post
Yes the Paris embassy has stopped doing it now. Applications have to be sent directly to Durham in the UK now.
So this is the 'beta' online application process now I think, it still says it takes at least 6 weeks which is not really satisfactory at all, especially if you need to be somewhere? We used the Paris one before which was slow and inefficient, people asking daft questions etc.

I reckon the fastest way to get one for a new baby is as follows. Pre-register at the Geminderhaus for the birth, then the birth certificate comes immediately. Then book a fast track passport application appointment, fly to the UK, submit the documents, it will be delivered to UK address a week later. On the form will need to explain that you are staying with a friend/relative in the UK. Get them to courier it back to you, don't tell the courier it is a passport as they often won't accept them.

Anyone tried this? I've got passports for myself before no problem when living abroad from the UK but you can't have the instant service for baby passports, only the fast track, but the guidance says you can use this service even if you live abroad and have the passport sent to an address that is not your home one.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06.02.2014, 20:22
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vaud
Posts: 506
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 332 Times in 217 Posts
slingb is considered knowledgeableslingb is considered knowledgeableslingb is considered knowledgeable
Re: New Baby UK Passport

Not sure, maybe depends on the amount of checking they do. Obviously you mean the parents flying to london as the bay cannot fly without z passport. But although you can use the uk service as a tourist in the uk , it requires the applicant to be physically on the uk on the day you submit the form. If they see a foreign birth certificate and an empty section about other nationalities the baby holds (section of the passport application) they may start questioning
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06.02.2014, 21:08
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Was Belgium now Neuchâtel
Posts: 8,205
Groaned at 60 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 10,227 Times in 4,915 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Baby UK Passport

As far as I know it is not possible to do this for a first passport application as will be the case for a baby. It is only possible for renewals.

Four to six weeks is the time quoted for Durham at the moment. It may get longer as the summer holidays approach.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06.02.2014, 21:28
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Formerly in Neuchatel
Posts: 2,337
Groaned at 219 Times in 150 Posts
Thanked 3,860 Times in 1,537 Posts
porsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond reputeporsch1909 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Baby UK Passport

When we got the little one's first passport done it took 2 weeks. That was with the Paris service
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07.02.2014, 08:38
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vevey
Posts: 206
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 61 Times in 48 Posts
tolalala has earned some respecttolalala has earned some respect
Re: New Baby UK Passport

I've just countersigned an application for my friends child's first passport. The process has changed and its all done on line. (Although you still print it all out and send the docs to sign and send to the UK).

Follow this link
https://www.gov.uk/get-a-child-passport
It says it should be completed within three weeks but on the second page there's a link in you need to make an urgent application.

Best of luck
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 19.05.2014, 12:30
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Basel
Posts: 134
Groaned at 12 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 91 Times in 44 Posts
homesick_alien is considered knowledgeablehomesick_alien is considered knowledgeablehomesick_alien is considered knowledgeable
Re: New Baby UK Passport

Hi All,

I am also applying for my newborn's UK passport. Did it online, printed off instructions (very abiguous regarding what supporting docs to send, but called to clarify).

Regardind passport pics: anyone know a reasonable place in Basel to get this done? I can try with my own camera but might be more hassle than its worth...

thanks for your help
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 19.05.2014, 12:44
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Schaffhausen
Posts: 219
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 148 Times in 78 Posts
jwlhall has earned the respect of manyjwlhall has earned the respect of manyjwlhall has earned the respect of many
Re: New Baby UK Passport

I'm sweating on this right now. The new overseas service does not offer any expedited services. They don't even look at the application for 6 weeks (hence the 6 weeks minimum service time). It's going to be frustrating for people waiting to travel with a newborn. Has anyone been successful in getting emergency travel documents from Bern for a newborn?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 19.05.2014, 13:46
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 50
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 47 Times in 23 Posts
englishguygoinghome has earned some respectenglishguygoinghome has earned some respect
Re: New Baby UK Passport

Quote:
View Post
Hi All,

I am also applying for my newborn's UK passport. Did it online, printed off instructions (very abiguous regarding what supporting docs to send, but called to clarify).

Regardind passport pics: anyone know a reasonable place in Basel to get this done? I can try with my own camera but might be more hassle than its worth...

thanks for your help
I did the one for my daughter myself - sat her against a light coloured sofa and then went to epassportphoto.com to convert it to a set of 4 suitable passport photos which I printed at 6x4 (inches) using a normal digital photo service. We're still waiting for the passport so I don't know if we had any problems but at least they have now relaxed the rules for young children and they no longer need to be looking directly at the camera with a blank expression.

Quote:
View Post
I'm sweating on this right now. The new overseas service does not offer any expedited services. They don't even look at the application for 6 weeks (hence the 6 weeks minimum service time). It's going to be frustrating for people waiting to travel with a newborn. Has anyone been successful in getting emergency travel documents from Bern for a newborn?
The bad news is that Emergency travel documents are only (usually) available for someone who has already held a passport (https://www.gov.uk/government/world/...-embassy-berne).

Quote:
Urgent Travel for First Time Applicants

Please note that Emergency Travel Documents (ETDs) can only ever be issued to First Time Applicants (FTAs - those who have never held a passport before) in very exceptional circumstances where there is an urgent need to travel and there are serious and unforeseen compassionate issues.
To get an idea of current processing times take a look at this thread here http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=830435 - most of the posters are in countries in Asia / Africa so European applications may be faster (fingers crossed) ...
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank englishguygoinghome for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 19.05.2014, 13:52
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Basel
Posts: 134
Groaned at 12 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 91 Times in 44 Posts
homesick_alien is considered knowledgeablehomesick_alien is considered knowledgeablehomesick_alien is considered knowledgeable
Re: New Baby UK Passport

Quote:
View Post
I did the one for my daughter myself - sat her against a light coloured sofa and then went to epassportphoto.com to convert it to a set of 4 suitable passport photos which I printed at 6x4 (inches) using a normal digital photo service. We're still waiting for the passport so I don't know if we had any problems but at least they have now relaxed the rules for young children and they no longer need to be looking directly at the camera with a blank expression.

Thanks very much! Does it matter if the background is not completely white? will give it a try :-)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 19.05.2014, 14:01
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 50
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 47 Times in 23 Posts
englishguygoinghome has earned some respectenglishguygoinghome has earned some respect
Re: New Baby UK Passport

Quote:
View Post
Thanks very much! Does it matter if the background is not completely white? will give it a try :-)
Full details are here: https://www.gov.uk/photos-for-passports
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank englishguygoinghome for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 19.05.2014, 14:11
Village Idiot's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 3,341
Groaned at 34 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 6,246 Times in 1,996 Posts
Village Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond reputeVillage Idiot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New Baby UK Passport

Quote:
View Post
Regardind passport pics: anyone know a reasonable place in Basel to get this done? I can try with my own camera but might be more hassle than its worth...
Passport pictures with a newborn take some patience, but we were able to take them at home without too much fuss.

Even lighting and a plain background are the most important elements. We took the pictures beside a sliding-glass door on an overcast day and they came out perfectly. The trick for the background? We laid a piece of flipchart paper on the ground, then laid the baby on top. Don't even bother trying to get a newborn to sit up -- it doesn't work.

We used the self-service ePassportPhoto website, then printed out at the local Migros photo kiosk. Total cost of the exercise was about CHF3.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Village Idiot for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 20.05.2014, 00:52
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Basel
Posts: 134
Groaned at 12 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 91 Times in 44 Posts
homesick_alien is considered knowledgeablehomesick_alien is considered knowledgeablehomesick_alien is considered knowledgeable
Re: New Baby UK Passport

Took a few shots to get it right but I think ive got the right photo. I have to say, that epassportphoto.com site is fantastic. So easy. Why cant the UK passport service website provide such an electronic tool to verify your pics.

Thanks very much for the useful advice!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 20.05.2014, 11:17
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Basel
Posts: 134
Groaned at 12 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 91 Times in 44 Posts
homesick_alien is considered knowledgeablehomesick_alien is considered knowledgeablehomesick_alien is considered knowledgeable
Re: New Baby UK Passport

Quote:
View Post
Passport pictures with a newborn take some patience, but we were able to take them at home without too much fuss.

Even lighting and a plain background are the most important elements. We took the pictures beside a sliding-glass door on an overcast day and they came out perfectly. The trick for the background? We laid a piece of flipchart paper on the ground, then laid the baby on top. Don't even bother trying to get a newborn to sit up -- it doesn't work.

We used the self-service ePassportPhoto website, then printed out at the local Migros photo kiosk. Total cost of the exercise was about CHF3.
quick question: the website produces a grid of 4 pics to print out. But without instructions on what size sheet / format. What option did you select at migros? standard A4 print?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 20.05.2014, 11:44
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 50
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 47 Times in 23 Posts
englishguygoinghome has earned some respectenglishguygoinghome has earned some respect
Re: New Baby UK Passport

Quote:
View Post
quick question: the website produces a grid of 4 pics to print out. But without instructions on what size sheet / format. What option did you select at migros? standard A4 print?
6"x4" (15x10cm)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank englishguygoinghome for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 26.05.2014, 22:34
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Basel
Posts: 134
Groaned at 12 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 91 Times in 44 Posts
homesick_alien is considered knowledgeablehomesick_alien is considered knowledgeablehomesick_alien is considered knowledgeable
Re: New Baby UK Passport

Just out of interest - did anyone send their original UK passport along with their application?

I called on two separate occasions the UK passport service and in the call I was told to just include a colour scan printout of my passport whilst the second operator told me that they need the original

Due to work travel, 6-8 weeks without my passport is not a realistic option.

Any advice? Im gonna chance it and send a scanned printout.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 26.05.2014, 22:41
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Schaffhausen
Posts: 219
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 148 Times in 78 Posts
jwlhall has earned the respect of manyjwlhall has earned the respect of manyjwlhall has earned the respect of many
Re: New Baby UK Passport

I sent mine but I have two so I can travel in the meantime. They seem permanently confused on this issue, and it stems from the guidelines not being clearly written about whose passport they are talking about - the parent's or the child's - being sent in. I know people told different things on this too by them.

Current waiting time is about 10 weeks I think and expected to get worse in the summer, so it's a long time without a passport!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 26.05.2014, 23:43
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Basel
Posts: 134
Groaned at 12 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 91 Times in 44 Posts
homesick_alien is considered knowledgeablehomesick_alien is considered knowledgeablehomesick_alien is considered knowledgeable
Re: New Baby UK Passport

10 weeks

maybe I should slip a tenner along with the documents!
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
baby passport required urgently uk/italian farfallina General off-topic 19 10.07.2012 17:44
indian passport for new born baby Ravi.Jariwala Permits/visas/government 4 09.02.2010 14:01
Baby UK Passport Gillian Allsop Permits/visas/government 5 18.09.2009 18:25


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0