Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07.03.2014, 12:40
nigelr's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Aargau
Posts: 1,434
Groaned at 109 Times in 53 Posts
Thanked 1,505 Times in 725 Posts
nigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond repute
CH or UK passport? or Both?

Thinking aloud here...

I need to renew my UK passport within the next 13 months, but I have a Swiss wife, have settled here and have started my own business here - which kind of ties me here for a while

I am not sure whether I should renew my UK passport, apply for the CH passport (given the recent political movements etc, etc) or do both.

I'm not a fan of administration and generally take the path of least resistance - which is why I have only now started the process of converting my UK driving license after nearly 9 years here (no I haven't been driving illegally).

So, what would you do?
UK
CH
or both?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07.03.2014, 13:12
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,781
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,094 Times in 6,293 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CH or UK passport? or Both?

Quote:
View Post
Thinking aloud here...

I need to renew my UK passport within the next 13 months, but I have a Swiss wife, have settled here and have started my own business here - which kind of ties me here for a while

I am not sure whether I should renew my UK passport, apply for the CH passport (given the recent political movements etc, etc) or do both.

I'm not a fan of administration and generally take the path of least resistance - which is why I have only now started the process of converting my UK driving license after nearly 9 years here (no I haven't been driving illegally).

So, what would you do?
UK
CH
or both?
Go for both & good luck with the driving test.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 07.03.2014, 13:17
Sean Connery's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,924
Groaned at 75 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 6,395 Times in 2,931 Posts
Sean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CH or UK passport? or Both?

short term - renew the UK one
long term - the Swiss one is cheaper

This is the approach I'm taking with my boy. Much less hassle and cheaper to keep his Swiss one up; he has a UK one but we will not renew that when it expires. And we did not take our lives in our hands at the Italian consulate.....you might never know when you come out...!!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sean Connery for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 07.03.2014, 13:54
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Was Belgium now Neuchâtel
Posts: 8,227
Groaned at 60 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 10,245 Times in 4,928 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CH or UK passport? or Both?

Do both.
You'll probably need to renew the British one anyway as I think 13 months will be a bit tight to get a Swiss one ( given that you haven't applied yet) but I think that long term it will be much easier to have the Swiss one and you won't have the hassles and expense of having to renew the British one.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07.03.2014, 14:01
nigelr's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Aargau
Posts: 1,434
Groaned at 109 Times in 53 Posts
Thanked 1,505 Times in 725 Posts
nigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CH or UK passport? or Both?

Quote:
View Post
Do both.
You'll probably need to renew the British one anyway as I think 13 months will be a bit tight to get a Swiss one ( given that you haven't applied yet) but I think that long term it will be much easier to have the Swiss one and you won't have the hassles and expense of having to renew the British one.
Holy smoke and all that . I didn't realise it would take so long to get a Swiss passport. Thanks for the headsup.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07.03.2014, 14:07
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Was Belgium now Neuchâtel
Posts: 8,227
Groaned at 60 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 10,245 Times in 4,928 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CH or UK passport? or Both?

Quote:
View Post
Holy smoke and all that . I didn't realise it would take so long to get a Swiss passport. Thanks for the headsup.
Take a look at some of the threads on facilitated naturalisation, that'll give you an idea of the timeframe you're looking at.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02.12.2016, 13:00
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Oberglatt ZH
Posts: 15
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts
MrT.2012 has annoyed a few people around hereMrT.2012 has annoyed a few people around here
Re: CH or UK passport? or Both?

Hi All

Im in a similar spot, where i have now settled here in CH.
But would it be a good idea to get my Swiss wife a UK passport for ease of visits?

Does anyone know how?

thanks

T
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02.12.2016, 13:05
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Geneva
Posts: 1,074
Groaned at 15 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 1,269 Times in 557 Posts
neddy has an excellent reputationneddy has an excellent reputationneddy has an excellent reputationneddy has an excellent reputation
Re: CH or UK passport? or Both?

Easiest to both have the same when you go through customs, request visa to travel etc. It's apparently not done to wave to each other when standing in different queues in customs & one has to hang around having got through the short queue to wait while the other is still in the long one.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02.12.2016, 13:05
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 9,688
Groaned at 73 Times in 66 Posts
Thanked 14,748 Times in 5,754 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CH or UK passport? or Both?

Quote:
View Post
Hi All

Im in a similar spot, where i have now settled here in CH.
But would it be a good idea to get my Swiss wife a UK passport for ease of visits?

Does anyone know how?

thanks

T
I think it's the same conditions as with the Swiss passport - your wife would have to reside in the UK for x amount of time before she'd qualify for a UK passport.

https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-britis...ritish-citizen

Her visits wouldn't be any more or less easier with a UK passport anyway. Us UK passport holders have to stand with the rest of the EU/EFTA passport holders when entering the country anyway.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 02.12.2016, 13:11
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,195
Groaned at 530 Times in 401 Posts
Thanked 11,951 Times in 4,680 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CH or UK passport? or Both?

Quote:
View Post
Thinking aloud here...

I need to renew my UK passport within the next 13 months, but I have a Swiss wife, have settled here and have started my own business here - which kind of ties me here for a while

I am not sure whether I should renew my UK passport, apply for the CH passport (given the recent political movements etc, etc) or do both.

I'm not a fan of administration and generally take the path of least resistance - which is why I have only now started the process of converting my UK driving license after nearly 9 years here (no I haven't been driving illegally).

So, what would you do?
UK
CH
or both?
I fail to see even the slightest bit of logic on not renewing a UK passport. It would be more the path of least versatility, as opposed to path of least resistance.

Last edited by Richdog; 02.12.2016 at 16:20. Reason: Amended wording
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Richdog for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 02.12.2016, 13:19
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,781
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,094 Times in 6,293 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CH or UK passport? or Both?

Quote:
View Post
I fail to see even the slightest bit of logic on not renewing a UK passport. It would be more the path of least intelligence, as opposed to path of least resistance.
It won't be lost by not renewing, however I believe it would be against the law for a UK citizen to travel to the UK on a Swiss passport, same in the other direction.
You always need to arrive in a country where your a citizen by showing that countries passport. A Brit was recently stopped & questioned at Birmingham airport arriving on a CH passport. (I was standing behind them)
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 02.12.2016, 13:21
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,467
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 2,230 Times in 824 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CH or UK passport? or Both?

Quote:
View Post
Holy smoke and all that . I didn't realise it would take so long to get a Swiss passport. Thanks for the headsup.
No, it doesn't. Getting a Swiss passport is a matter of a few weeks, maximum. It is an easy process: you have to book the appointment, go to have your photo taken, pay the fee, and it'll be sent to you in the mail, or you can fetch it.

Getting Swiss citizenship, however, which is the natural prerequisite to getting a Swiss passport (same as in any country), can take a year or three.

Best to go for both British and Swiss citizenship, and then choose the passports according to cost and convenience.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02.12.2016, 13:24
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 9,688
Groaned at 73 Times in 66 Posts
Thanked 14,748 Times in 5,754 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CH or UK passport? or Both?

Quote:
View Post
It won't be lost by not renewing, however I believe it would be against the law for a UK citizen to travel to the UK on a Swiss passport, same in the other direction.
You always need to arrive in a country where your a citizen by showing that countries passport. A Brit was recently stopped & questioned at Birmingham airport arriving on a CH passport. (I was standing behind them)
No, the rule is you have to travel in and out on the same one, and not travel in on, say, the UK passport then out again with the Swiss one.

I think it's only the US where you have to show your US passport regardless of how many other passports you hold.

Maybe your Brit at Birmingham was getting a ticking off for mixing and matching his docs?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 02.12.2016, 13:45
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 3,383
Groaned at 62 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 2,966 Times in 1,470 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CH or UK passport? or Both?

Quote:
View Post
Hi All

Im in a similar spot, where i have now settled here in CH.
But would it be a good idea to get my Swiss wife a UK passport for ease of visits?

Does anyone know how?

thanks

T
Your wife has to live in the UK for five years to apply for British Citizenship. So not possible unless you move. Edit: looks like it might be 3 years now.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Island Monkey for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 02.12.2016, 13:51
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,195
Groaned at 530 Times in 401 Posts
Thanked 11,951 Times in 4,680 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CH or UK passport? or Both?

Quote:
View Post
It won't be lost by not renewing, however I believe it would be against the law for a UK citizen to travel to the UK on a Swiss passport, same in the other direction.
You always need to arrive in a country where your a citizen by showing that countries passport. A Brit was recently stopped & questioned at Birmingham airport arriving on a CH passport. (I was standing behind them)
Agreed, you don't lose citizenship of course, but why on earth would a British citizen, presumably with some links to the UK, not want a valid passport? I genuinely can't understand the logic.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02.12.2016, 13:51
curley's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 664
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 668 Times in 372 Posts
curley has an excellent reputationcurley has an excellent reputationcurley has an excellent reputationcurley has an excellent reputation
Re: CH or UK passport? or Both?

Quote:
View Post
No, the rule is you have to travel in and out on the same one, and not travel in on, say, the UK passport then out again with the Swiss one.
I thought it was not allowed to carry two different passports on you - even if they're both legally yours?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02.12.2016, 13:55
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 2,094
Groaned at 34 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 2,079 Times in 1,063 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CH or UK passport? or Both?

Quote:
View Post
It won't be lost by not renewing, however I believe it would be against the law for a UK citizen to travel to the UK on a Swiss passport, same in the other direction.
You always need to arrive in a country where your a citizen by showing that countries passport. A Brit was recently stopped & questioned at Birmingham airport arriving on a CH passport. (I was standing behind them)
Well I don't know about the UK, but I have not renewed my Irish passport in a few years and there is no problem of an Irish citizen entry on a Swiss passport. All the law states is that I cannot use my Swiss citizenship as an excuse to avoid my responsibilities as an Irish citizen.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 02.12.2016, 14:04
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,781
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,094 Times in 6,293 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CH or UK passport? or Both?

Quote:
View Post
Agreed, you don't lose citizenship of course, but why on earth would a British citizen, presumably with some links to the UK, not want a valid passport? I genuinely can't understand the logic.
It's a book that expires in 10 years time, it can be ordered at any time you need it. Plenty of British Citizens living in the UK don't have a passport just as I believe the majority of Swiss don't have a valid passport.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02.12.2016, 15:06
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,195
Groaned at 530 Times in 401 Posts
Thanked 11,951 Times in 4,680 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CH or UK passport? or Both?

Quote:
View Post
It's a book that expires in 10 years time, it can be ordered at any time you need it. Plenty of British Citizens living in the UK don't have a passport just as I believe the majority of Swiss don't have a valid passport.
I think it's a bit different if you're an expat living abroad with ties to the UK, it just makes things much easier when you go back. You never know when it will come in handy, and for the sake of 80 quid it's imo a no-brainer to keep it valid.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02.12.2016, 15:09
JoeUK's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 350
Groaned at 9 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 416 Times in 228 Posts
JoeUK is considered knowledgeableJoeUK is considered knowledgeableJoeUK is considered knowledgeable
Re: CH or UK passport? or Both?

Quote:
View Post
I thought it was not allowed to carry two different passports on you - even if they're both legally yours?
Nope, entrance and exit *has* to be on the same passport. Carry as many as you want, I have 3 but only travel with 1.

* Not ona one-way ticket

Last edited by JoeUK; 02.12.2016 at 15:11. Reason: Added
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank JoeUK for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Friend's Corner or Nimmi or Both? Me Myself & I Entertainment & dining 9 21.12.2011 10:43
Country of issue regarding passport france or uk swissdawn Permits/visas/government 1 07.06.2010 20:28
Is it horizontal or vertical alignment (or both :( ) radhani1936 TV/internet/telephone 8 11.09.2008 12:30
Need anything shipping UK-CH or CH-UK? Jern Transportation/driving 5 25.08.2008 00:26
[Berne] No nightclub entry without C permit or CH passport! Treverus Daily life 54 10.02.2008 01:24


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0