Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 14.05.2014, 10:08
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Basel
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NeerjaJha has no particular reputation at present
Work permit for B-Type dependents.

Hello,
I will be moving to Basel in July, I will be coming on B type dependent visa.
I am a software engineer with 3+ experience, can i apply for a work permit when i come there.
Any information will be of great help

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 14.05.2014, 10:13
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,778
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,093 Times in 6,292 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Work permit for B-Type dependents.

Quote:
View Post
Hello,
I will be moving to Basel in July, I will be coming on B type dependent visa.
I am a software engineer with 3+ experience, can i apply for a work permit when i come there.
Any information will be of great help

Thanks in advance.
Giving info on what passport you have would help.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 14.05.2014, 10:47
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: lausanne
Posts: 73
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 71 Times in 32 Posts
Wander-Thirst has earned some respectWander-Thirst has earned some respect
Re: Work permit for B-Type dependents.

Normally with the dependent B permit you are allowed to work.

When you apply for jobs mention that you have got the B permit. Its easier to get calls. Once you arrive in Switzerland, you will receive the residence permit. Normally this is sufficient (you just need to provide a copy of the same along with your job application) and you don't need to apply for any special "work permit"


Quote:
View Post
Hello,
I will be moving to Basel in July, I will be coming on B type dependent visa.
I am a software engineer with 3+ experience, can i apply for a work permit when i come there.
Any information will be of great help

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 14.05.2014, 12:12
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery-Courtion
Posts: 13,549
Groaned at 171 Times in 135 Posts
Thanked 9,673 Times in 5,521 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Work permit for B-Type dependents.

That's okay for EU nationals Wander-Thirst, but non-EU's are a different story.

As a non-EU citizen any employer would have to go through the non-EU hiring process to be able to employ you as your permit will only allow you to live here, not work initially. That means they have to prove to the Swiss authorities that they couldn't find a Swiss, EU national or someone else already living here with a valid permit who could do the job.

So it's not impossible, but it's not easy either. IT is one of the better fields to search for jobs for non-EU's, but there are a lot of software engineers looking to be hired too. If a company wants you badly enough they'll go through the process to get the work permission added to your dependent's permit.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 14.05.2014, 12:44
zoko37's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: UK / CH / India
Posts: 37
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
zoko37 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Work permit for B-Type dependents.

found this on Google, not sure how true this information is, (this link is for Zurich)

http://www.crownrelo.com/en-us/movin...-visas-permits

Are spouses permitted and/or likely to find work?
NON-EU citizens:
  • For B permit holder
    The accompanying spouse (legally married) of a B work and residence permit holder is entitled to work in Switzerland. Once the accompanying spouse of the B permit holder has found a job in Switzerland, it is his/her employer’s responsibility to announce this employment to the relevant migration authorities.
  • For L permit holder
The accompanying spouse (legally married) of an L permit holder needs prior authorization from the Swiss migration authorities to be entitled to work in Switzerland.

Last edited by zoko37; 14.05.2014 at 12:47. Reason: the link provided was for Zurich canton
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 14.05.2014, 13:16
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery-Courtion
Posts: 13,549
Groaned at 171 Times in 135 Posts
Thanked 9,673 Times in 5,521 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Work permit for B-Type dependents.

Quote:
View Post
found this on Google, not sure how true this information is, (this link is for Zurich)

http://www.crownrelo.com/en-us/movin...-visas-permits

Are spouses permitted and/or likely to find work?
NON-EU citizens:


  • For B permit holder
    The accompanying spouse (legally married) of a B work and residence permit holder is entitled to work in Switzerland. Once the accompanying spouse of the B permit holder has found a job in Switzerland, it is his/her employer’s responsibility to announce this employment to the relevant migration authorities.
  • For L permit holder
The accompanying spouse (legally married) of an L permit holder needs prior authorization from the Swiss migration authorities to be entitled to work in Switzerland.
Yes, that applies to the whole Switzerland. A dependent B permit holder's potential employer as to go through the non-EU hiring process, i.e. announce it to the authorities, to get approval.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 14.05.2014, 13:32
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Basel
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NeerjaJha has no particular reputation at present
Re: Work permit for B-Type dependents.

Quote:
View Post
Giving info on what passport you have would help.
I am from India have an Indian passport
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 14.05.2014, 13:45
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 117
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 37 Times in 26 Posts
kkmm has earned some respectkkmm has earned some respect
Re: Work permit for B-Type dependents.

Quote:
View Post
Yes, that applies to the whole Switzerland. A dependent B permit holder's potential employer as to go through the non-EU hiring process, i.e. announce it to the authorities, to get approval.
You are not right. Dependent B permit holder can apply for a job and his employer has only to notify the authorities, no approval is needed. However if the spouse can not renew the permit next time - dependent holder also looses his/her permit and this is why authorities need information if dependent has a job.

The question is if the OP is really sure he/she will get B permit? Normally you can apply for a B-permit but in reality in most cases you get L for the first 2 years.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 14.05.2014, 14:01
zoko37's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: UK / CH / India
Posts: 37
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
zoko37 has no particular reputation at present
Quote:
View Post
Yes, that applies to the whole Switzerland. A dependent B permit holder's potential employer as to go through the non-EU hiring process, i.e. announce it to the authorities, to get approval.
quite baffled with your comment; why will a company have to go through non-EU process for hiring a person who already has a dependent B permit? (just asking)

I always thought a dependent B permit holder (EU or non-EU) = someone else already living in CH with a valid permit who could do the job.

is my understanding wrong then?

Quote:
View Post
The question is if the OP is really sure he/she will get B permit? Normally you can apply for a B-permit but in reality in most cases you get L for the first 2 years.
If OP is married to Swiss then he/she will get 1 year B permit.

Last edited by 3Wishes; 16.05.2014 at 15:45. Reason: merging successive posts
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 14.05.2014, 14:16
Sean Connery's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,924
Groaned at 75 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 6,395 Times in 2,931 Posts
Sean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Work permit for B-Type dependents.

Quote:
View Post
I am from India have an Indian passport
Process is this:
1. Get hired
2. Company applies for permit
3. You come on successful completion of application (i.e. with permit issued before entering the country)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 14.05.2014, 18:30
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: basel
Posts: 25
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
san360 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Work permit for B-Type dependents.

On B dependent work permit, you can work surely but getting a job is difficult in Basel and it really depends on your skill set and expertise. Zurich is a good place to find a job for English speaker. In Basel most of companies ask for German speaker.

Thanks
Sanjay
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 14.05.2014, 22:35
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 50
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
GV_GV has no particular reputation at present
Re: Work permit for B-Type dependents.

Indeed, Basel without German (and French) is difficult, if not almost impossible. You'll suffer competition from German and French from the other side of the border who are a bit cheaper and likely have some understanding of German. However, I think Zurich is still a good option even if you're living in Basel. It's 1h+ away with train so feasible on daily basis if you live and work close to station. Don't forget Baden with Alstom and ABB...less software need but they speak english
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 16.05.2014, 14:51
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Basel
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NeerjaJha has no particular reputation at present
Quote:
View Post
Process is this:
1. Get hired
2. Company applies for permit
3. You come on successful completion of application (i.e. with permit issued before entering the country)
Great, this sounds good so i can start trying from now.

Thanks

Quote:
View Post
Indeed, Basel without German (and French) is difficult, if not almost impossible. You'll suffer competition from German and French from the other side of the border who are a bit cheaper and likely have some understanding of German. However, I think Zurich is still a good option even if you're living in Basel. It's 1h+ away with train so feasible on daily basis if you live and work close to station. Don't forget Baden with Alstom and ABB...less software need but they speak english
Travelling to Zurich will not be a problem, thanks for giving options.

Last edited by 3Wishes; 16.05.2014 at 15:45. Reason: merging successive posts
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 16.05.2014, 15:35
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: lausanne
Posts: 73
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 71 Times in 32 Posts
Wander-Thirst has earned some respectWander-Thirst has earned some respect
Re: Work permit for B-Type dependents.

Well, I am from Non-EU country. And, For me, it was the process i described.
Never needed to apply any work permit my self and just needed to submit a copy of my B residence permit.

Quote:
View Post
That's okay for EU nationals Wander-Thirst, but non-EU's are a different story.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Wander-Thirst for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 19.05.2014, 16:26
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: zurich
Posts: 15
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NewSwiss1 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Work permit for B-Type dependents.

B type Dependent with Indian Passport can apply and work , without any additional Approvals.

I know few people around Zurich (Indian ) , they did not need any additional approvals.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 26.06.2015, 21:52
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: zurich
Posts: 50
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
ambypower has no particular reputation at present
Re: Work permit for B-Type dependents.

Hi All

Does it mean the individual doesn't need to apply for any permission but the company offering job has to inform the authorities and take permission ?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 26.06.2015, 22:01
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery-Courtion
Posts: 13,549
Groaned at 171 Times in 135 Posts
Thanked 9,673 Times in 5,521 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Work permit for B-Type dependents.

B permit dependents don't need authorization to take up work. All you need to do is take your employment contract to your gemeinde/commune office to get the work part added to the residence. Although, according to Swiss law, it should be subject to authorization the Swiss government decided not to implement that part of the law.

L permit dependents are subject to authorization so the employer must meet certain conditions before they can hire them and the dependent must have professional qualifications.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 27.06.2015, 17:08
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: hombrechtikon
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sussyfg68 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Work permit for B-Type dependents.

I am from Kenya and have a kenyan passport.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dependant b permit




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
B-type residence permit/ work permit processing time for non-EU citizens DamTehIra Daily life 6 14.07.2013 17:50
Work permit type B Laurentia Permits/visas/government 4 10.07.2011 15:33
Federal approved my work Permit, type B. Residence permit next? How long it takes? yezi Permits/visas/government 10 05.08.2010 13:09
Work Permit Type B ITguy Permits/visas/government 48 25.06.2008 16:11


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0