Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 17.01.2015, 13:22
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
baridossantos has no particular reputation at present
Re-entry to Switzerland, quite urgent

Hello guys,

I am studying at ETH Zurich and for an internship I am living in Japan right now. I will be back at the end of this month but the problem is I just discovered that I cannot find my residence permit. I renewed it before coming to Japan yet, the card is missing and I am panicking a lot right now. It might be too late for me to go to Tokyo, which is really far away from my current location, and apply for a re-entry visa. The only good thing is that I have some kind of special passport which allows me to enter any EU country and Switzerland up to three months without any visa obligation (by the way I am Turkish). Also, I will have connection at Helsinki when I am returning back so I think no one will check my passport in Zurich because of Schengen zone, still I want to be in the safe zone.

I hope you can give me some advices or share your experiences. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 17.01.2015, 13:26
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 8,826
Groaned at 189 Times in 172 Posts
Thanked 24,356 Times in 6,546 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Re-entry to Switzerland, quite urgent

Just enter Switzerland on your passport which allows you in as a tourist. They don't ask for residence/work permits when entering the country.

If they ask you any questions just say the permit is at home (in Switzerland). They can see the details of any permit when they scan your passport anyway.

I never take my Swiss work permit with me when travelling (unless it's to get tax back from somewhere).
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 17.01.2015, 13:30
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 3,383
Groaned at 62 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 2,966 Times in 1,470 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Re-entry to Switzerland, quite urgent

As an UK citizen, I've never been asked for my permit when entering Switzerland/Schengen. I assume if you have a passport that allows visa free entry, the same will go for you. Then apply for a replacement permit as soon as you get back!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 17.01.2015, 15:52
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 2,090
Groaned at 34 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,059 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Re-entry to Switzerland, quite urgent

Quote:
View Post
As an UK citizen, I've never been asked for my permit when entering Switzerland/Schengen. I assume if you have a passport that allows visa free entry, the same will go for you. Then apply for a replacement permit as soon as you get back!
Where have you been entering Schengen? For the past several years, every time I have arrived into Switzerland from a non Schengen destination I have been required to show my Swiss Identity card.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 17.01.2015, 16:34
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 3,383
Groaned at 62 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 2,966 Times in 1,470 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Re-entry to Switzerland, quite urgent

Quote:
View Post
Where have you been entering Schengen? For the past several years, every time I have arrived into Switzerland from a non Schengen destination I have been required to show my Swiss Identity card.
Switzerland mainly…. I've always had to show my passport, but never my Swiss Permit!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 17.01.2015, 16:41
drmom's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere in SG
Posts: 2,333
Groaned at 13 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 2,181 Times in 1,045 Posts
drmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Re-entry to Switzerland, quite urgent

Quote:
View Post
Just enter Switzerland on your passport which allows you in as a tourist. They don't ask for residence/work permits when entering the country.

If they ask you any questions just say the permit is at home (in Switzerland). They can see the details of any permit when they scan your passport anyway.

I never take my Swiss work permit with me when travelling (unless it's to get tax back from somewhere).
Quote:
View Post
As an UK citizen, I've never been asked for my permit when entering Switzerland/Schengen. I assume if you have a passport that allows visa free entry, the same will go for you. Then apply for a replacement permit as soon as you get back!
I am pretty sure for non-EU they will ask. They certainly asked me in October when we returned from the states but they didn't ask to see the Swiss IDs for any of the other 4 family members I was traveling with as they have German passports...

But as Adrian says, just say you forgot it at home, and they hopefully will just tell you to make sure you have it with you the next time.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 20.01.2015, 15:11
mjb mjb is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
mjb has no particular reputation at present
Re: Re-entry to Switzerland, quite urgent

Quote:
View Post
I am pretty sure for non-EU they will ask. They certainly asked me in October when we returned from the states but they didn't ask to see the Swiss IDs for any of the other 4 family members I was traveling with as they have German passports...

But as Adrian says, just say you forgot it at home, and they hopefully will just tell you to make sure you have it with you the next time.
I'm on a US passport and they definitely ask, so you must be right about the non-EU thing. In fact I got quite a stern lecture/scolding the first time I tried just giving them my passport about how I should always show my residence permit with my passport no matter what. Since then I just hand both at the same time and haven't had a problem since.

But yes, it should be fine to just say you don't have it with you. Last year I had a work trip to Japan that departed right after my permit expired, so I had not yet received the new one the mail. I asked what I should do at the kreisburo and they told me it would be fine to just show the old one and say I'm waiting for the new card to arrive in the mail. It ended up being no problem, although I must admit I was a bit nervous handing over the expired card.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
entry visa, residence permit




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
re entry visa varunsreenivasan Permits/visas/government 5 12.01.2015 19:15
Re Entry Visa anuragsharma21 Permits/visas/government 4 01.12.2010 11:27
Do I need a re-entry visa in add. to the L-permit? dasTurk Permits/visas/government 0 15.12.2009 15:50
anyone with an entry to 20km de Lausanne that you're not planning to use? markmeagher Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 0 24.04.2009 11:03


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0