Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 26.02.2015, 16:27
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: St. Gallen
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
erictlara has no particular reputation at present
For a short-term residence permit L: duration in days or months?

I hope someone here could give me advice:

My girlfriend is coming to Switzerland to study German and she's been granted the authorization to obtain a residence permit for "7 months from the date of entry" to the country. This might seem trivial but I'm trying to find out whether immigration authorities will calculate the seven months as a full month regardless amount of days, or if they rather think of 7 months as exactly 210 days. I know for a fact that Schengen visits are calculated in days (the 90 days within a 180-day period rule) and 91 days in any given period is already considered an overstay. Do the Swiss also apply the day rule for issuing a Permit L? I guess we will find out when they issue the permit in the Einwohneramt but this is a decision about purchasing a return flight ticket. Whether the permit is granted for 210 days or 7 months, the difference will be only of 3-4 days but as it happens (Murphy's law), there is an important exam that my girlfriend could take, but only in the event that the Swiss government thinks in months rather than actual days, like the EC does for Schengen.
Example:
Date of entry will be April 10th. A permit for 7 months will be generally issued with an expiry date of November 9th. But if they do mean 210 days, then they'll set the expiry date to November 5th.

Is it safe to buy a ticket for 10/04-09/11 or will this make my girlfriend incur in an overstay (potential penalty!) of 4 days in her 7-month residence permit? Changing the return date in the ticket is also pricey and I want to avoid it. I know many will think, if you are not sure, just buy the 210-day return ticket and that's it! But it's really about the exam and I just want to nail it and not make it a costly experience.

Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 26.02.2015, 17:46
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Zürich
Posts: 61
Groaned at 6 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Flatrate has no particular reputation at present
Re: For a short-term residence permit L: duration in days or months?

Why doesn't she just buy a single-way ticket to Switzerland and then buy the return ticket later when her permit is issued?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 26.02.2015, 17:55
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 168
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 77 Times in 42 Posts
ankurm.2008 has made some interesting contributions
Re: For a short-term residence permit L: duration in days or months?

Quote:
View Post
I hope someone here could give me advice:

My girlfriend is coming to Switzerland to study German and she's been granted the authorization to obtain a residence permit for "7 months from the date of entry" to the country. This might seem trivial but I'm trying to find out whether immigration authorities will calculate the seven months as a full month regardless amount of days, or if they rather think of 7 months as exactly 210 days. I know for a fact that Schengen visits are calculated in days (the 90 days within a 180-day period rule) and 91 days in any given period is already considered an overstay. Do the Swiss also apply the day rule for issuing a Permit L? I guess we will find out when they issue the permit in the Einwohneramt but this is a decision about purchasing a return flight ticket. Whether the permit is granted for 210 days or 7 months, the difference will be only of 3-4 days but as it happens (Murphy's law), there is an important exam that my girlfriend could take, but only in the event that the Swiss government thinks in months rather than actual days, like the EC does for Schengen.
Example:
Date of entry will be April 10th. A permit for 7 months will be generally issued with an expiry date of November 9th. But if they do mean 210 days, then they'll set the expiry date to November 5th.

Is it safe to buy a ticket for 10/04-09/11 or will this make my girlfriend incur in an overstay (potential penalty!) of 4 days in her 7-month residence permit? Changing the return date in the ticket is also pricey and I want to avoid it. I know many will think, if you are not sure, just buy the 210-day return ticket and that's it! But it's really about the exam and I just want to nail it and not make it a costly experience.

Thanks a lot!
Buy an Open Ticket
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 26.02.2015, 18:59
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: St. Gallen
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
erictlara has no particular reputation at present
Re: For a short-term residence permit L: duration in days or months?

One-way tickets or open tickets are prohibitive in price. In that case it would be better to buy a normal ticket and change the date. That would cost me $160 USD PLUS price difference if they are not offering similar fares in the new date PLUS (almost sure) the standard Swiss administrative fee for booking over the phone... It's a Swiss flight operated by Edelweiss, they just make you pay more if you don't purchase return :-(

(By the way, in long-haul flights from Germany or Switzerland, I've only seen sometimes Condor pricing one-way tickets at almost 1/2 price of a return, all the others cost a lot, sometimes more than a return)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 26.02.2015, 19:07
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 6,524
Groaned at 43 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 9,174 Times in 4,358 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: For a short-term residence permit L: duration in days or months?

Do you have to go with Swiss-Edelweiss or are there some other options for the dates you want? I can help you search for deals if you want.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 26.02.2015, 19:26
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: St. Gallen
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
erictlara has no particular reputation at present
Re: For a short-term residence permit L: duration in days or months?

It should be Edelweiss, it's the only Swiss carrier covering direct flights from Havana to Zurich. I can adapt, and when in doubt, of course I'll just buy a return ticket for a stay of no more than 210 days (a safe interpretation of the 7-month residence), but I'd like to know if someone else knows for a fact whether residence permits are issued: a) from day n of entry month until day n-1 of last month of allowed residence duration (for an L is 91 days up to 1 year, and yes, they always say 1 year or 12 months and not 365 days!) or b) for a fix # of days amounting to 30x the number of authorized months (4-12) stated in the Ermächtigung zur Visumerteilung.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 26.02.2015, 19:42
MathNut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kt. Glarus
Posts: 4,235
Groaned at 35 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 9,970 Times in 3,071 Posts
MathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: For a short-term residence permit L: duration in days or months?

Since you are already here yourself, I would phone or visit the cantonal "Migrationsamt" and ask them. Do you need help formulating the question? My German's not perfect but I'm told it's more or less intelligible...

First, print out a copy of the letter and highlight the bit where it says 7 months from date of entry.

Then: "Meine Freundin reist in die Schweiz. Ich möchte nur sichergehen, damit ich ihr den richtigen Flug buche. Heisst das da [point to letter] echt sieben Monate, also zum Beispiel zehnte April bis neunte November, oder wird es eher auf sieben mal dreissig Tage gerundet?"

I suspect they'll say it's the former, but the easiest way to know for sure is to ask.
__________________
Need help? Contact a mod.


Last edited by MathNut; 11.03.2015 at 12:04.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MathNut for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 26.02.2015, 19:51
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: St. Gallen
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
erictlara has no particular reputation at present
Re: For a short-term residence permit L: duration in days or months?

Quote:
View Post
Since you are already here yourself, I would phone or visit the cantonal "Migrationsamt" and ask them. Do you need help formulating the question? My German's not perfect but I'm told it's more or less intelligible...

First, print out a copy of the letter and highlight the bit where it says 7 months from date of entry.

Then: "Meine Freundin reist in die Schweiz. Ich möchte nur sichergehen, damit ich ihr den richtigen Flug buche. Heisst das da [point to letter] echt sieben Monate, also zum Beispiel zehnte März bis neunte November, oder wird es eher auf sieben mal dreissig Tage gerundet?"

I suspect they'll say it's the former, but the easiest way to know for sure is to ask.
You are right! that sounds like the easiest way to find out
Thank you for the advice and the sample text in German!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 26.02.2015, 19:55
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 6,524
Groaned at 43 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 9,174 Times in 4,358 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: For a short-term residence permit L: duration in days or months?

I found something in German that seems to indicate you could go with either 210 days or 9 months. This document (German only) references the biometric residence permits that are required for third-state nationals. Rough translation from part the document:

"In justified cases, where it is foreseeable that there will be a stay of eight months within twelve months with several interruptions, a single biometric residence permit valid for a period of twelve months is issued (240 days / 12 months)."

I realize she's not planning on several interruptions so that part is not relevant. However this document is from the federal migration authorities and talks about length of permit in terms of both days and months. Not sure if it helps but it's the best I can find after searching quite a bit on the official site. Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 26.02.2015, 20:16
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: St. Gallen
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
erictlara has no particular reputation at present
Re: For a short-term residence permit L: duration in days or months?

Wow, good catch! That is about the first reference I see where they translate months to days. It's about residence permits for artists but it gives a hint that they may actually take my girlfriend's 7 months as 210 days, just like they equal 8 months to 240 days...
thanks a lot
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 26.02.2015, 20:23
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: St. Gallen
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
erictlara has no particular reputation at present
Re: For a short-term residence permit L: duration in days or months?

Quote:
View Post
I found something in German that seems to indicate you could go with either 210 days or 9 months. This document (German only) references the biometric residence permits that are required for third-state nationals. Rough translation from part the document:

"In justified cases, where it is foreseeable that there will be a stay of eight months within twelve months with several interruptions, a single biometric residence permit valid for a period of twelve months is issued (240 days / 12 months)."

I realize she's not planning on several interruptions so that part is not relevant. However this document is from the federal migration authorities and talks about length of permit in terms of both days and months. Not sure if it helps but it's the best I can find after searching quite a bit on the official site. Good luck!
But then again, here is a classic example of a 12-month L-Permit with validity from 1. October until 30. September of the following year, so... it is also logic to think that my girlfriend's 7-month permit will be issued from 10.04 until 09.11
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 26.02.2015, 20:24
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: St. Gallen
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
erictlara has no particular reputation at present
Re: For a short-term residence permit L: duration in days or months?

Quote:
View Post
But then again, here is a classic example of a 12-month L-Permit with validity from 1. October until 30. September of the following year, so... it is also logic to think that my girlfriend's 7-month permit will be issued from 10.04 until 09.11
the link: https://www.bfm.admin.ch/dam/data/bf...-ausweis-e.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 26.02.2015, 20:40
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 6,524
Groaned at 43 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 9,174 Times in 4,358 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: For a short-term residence permit L: duration in days or months?

I guess the way I read it, 12 months = 12 months, i.e. 01 Oct. - 30 Sept. but shorter durations can be counted in months or days.

I'd still go with MathNut's advice and ask the migrationsamt directly. If possible, get the answer in writing!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 26.02.2015, 20:45
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 3,383
Groaned at 62 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 2,966 Times in 1,470 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: For a short-term residence permit L: duration in days or months?

i don't "think" she has to leave on the date her permit expires, you normally have a week to leave the country.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
calculation, duration of stay, overstay, permit, visa




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted: short term apartment for 7-10 days in Zurich Sam, Property wanted 1 05.09.2010 22:58
B Permit Form - different for Long term B and Short term B ? samofsydney Permits/visas/government 3 14.02.2010 15:40
Req short-term Acco in Basel (2 months) Nikkyabc Property wanted 0 25.09.2009 13:27
Room to Rent in Triemli Zurich - Short Term OR 5 days per week only muppet Property wanted 1 06.03.2009 18:52
What are the best options for short term (3 months) housing in Zurich? HawkBoy Housing in general 7 18.05.2007 18:28


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0