Non EU B permit (converted from L permit while changing employer)
I'm hoping that this will help somebody who is planned to change employer and are non-EU professionals.
I have been looking for a change of employer (and L to B permit change) but it was not that easy as everybody knows and it is more so because I was on a L permit in Zurich.
Late last year, I have been asked by a employer whether I'm interested to move to new canton where they could apply for long term permit after successful interview process. At this step, I was told by my employer that I have to move to new canton as per immigration laws.
With me nodding as "YES", interview process started and yielded a job offer at end of one month long process.
The big thing then started... applying for visa process at new canton as Zurich canton has denied to convert or extend my L permit to this new employer (as per strict immigration laws for non-eu)
- New employer then applied for a permit with job offer that said "unlimited contract" at the new cantonal authorities (Basel) in November last year.
- Due to the long Christmas holidays, there was no news until end of January 2015 (around 11 weeks since the application). It was a "Yes" for me to change employer.
- At this stage, both my new employer and myself were confused, as there was a letter which said my work permit has been approved and I had to appear in the Kreisburo in Zurich (where my residence belongs).
- After two days, I went to Kreisburo and shown them the letter sent from Basel authorities. Officer at Kreisburo then talked to official in Bern and found that I can work in Zurich based on this "work permit" approval.
- But I still had confusion around my "Residence permit" as I was still not clear on the location of my residence. Upon expressing the same confusion, officer at Kreisburo called Immigration Authorities in Zurich and later after the call, officer told me that I'm authorized to work in Zurich for the new employer holding this approved "Work Permit" BUT I will have to stay in Zurich with the old residence permit (which was given to me while working for the previous employer - L permit)... This was the biggest ingredient to my already mashed up recipe.
I came back and informed to my new employer and they as well confirmed with authorities, that I will be working on Work Permit approved by Basel but allowed to stay in Canton of Zurich with the existing residence permit.
At this stage, I'm on a Work Permit from Basel that authorised me to change the employer but with "L" Residence permit from Zurich Canton...
My wife and I continued to live in this "not clear" state until a day after 2 weeks, we received a letter from Zurich immigration authorities that asked us to go and apply for new "B" residence permit at Kreisburo for both my wife and myself. I have no idea, what changed in these 2 weeks of time, but that changed for best for us, as we did not want to move the house to Basel.
Later that week, we appeared at Kreisburo with relevant documents and paid the permit fee again (we paid permit renewal fee for our L permit, 3 months back). After 2 more weeks, we received B Residence permit cards to our home, thus setting the sun for our whole story of "Non EU professional changing employment while on L permit and getting B permit". More than me, my new employer was relieved with the final conclusion from authorities.
All in all, it was worth the pain of about 6 months, as everything went as planned and expected even though there were tricky turns at every step...
Hope that helps and Best Wishes to all of you, who is in waiting for permit approval.