Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 15.06.2015, 19:36
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Ticino
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
ramokee has no particular reputation at present
Swiss Citizenship [should I apply?]

Hello English Forum in Switzerland,
I am a 16 year old male living in Lugano (TI). In a month I will be elegible for Swiss citizenship. I currently have US citizenship and was born in Scotland. I am considering pros and cons of acquiring Swiss citizenship. After hearing about the mandatory military training (which can last up to 6 months!) I have been slightly discouraged.

BTW I currently attend Liceo and have plans to attend ETHZ or EPFL after Liceo.
I do not plan on living/working in Switzerland after I finish my studies (I will probably move back to US or move to Canada).
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 15.06.2015, 21:04
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery-Courtion
Posts: 13,513
Groaned at 170 Times in 135 Posts
Thanked 9,643 Times in 5,507 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Citizenship

You can find more about military service here:

https://www.ch.ch/en/the-military-in...-armed-forces/

If you were born in Scotland you may also have British nationality.

https://www.gov.uk/types-of-british-...sh-citizenship

If you don't plan to live/work here then frankly why bother with the Swiss citizenship? You don't see your life being in Switzerland so what's the point of going through the process?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 15.06.2015, 21:09
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,310
Groaned at 292 Times in 196 Posts
Thanked 12,189 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Citizenship

I was gutted, when I received my little red book, that I was already too old to don the uniform - it would have made a man of me.

Do your time and learn a trade for free.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank TiMow for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 15.06.2015, 21:20
baboon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 2,467
Groaned at 73 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 2,936 Times in 1,466 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Citizenship

Quote:
View Post
If you were born in Scotland you may also have British nationality.

https://www.gov.uk/types-of-british-...sh-citizenship
At age 16 place of birth is largely irrelevant. He would need an English parent or grandparent.

Quote:
View Post
I was gutted, when I received my little red book, that I was already too old to don the uniform - it would have made a man of me.

Do your time and learn a trade for free.
You clearly don't know too much about the Swiss military
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank baboon for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 15.06.2015, 21:49
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery-Courtion
Posts: 13,513
Groaned at 170 Times in 135 Posts
Thanked 9,643 Times in 5,507 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Citizenship

Quote:
View Post
At age 16 place of birth is largely irrelevant. He would need an English parent or grandparent.
Not necessarily. They could be foreigners who were legally settled in the UK at the time.

"If you were born on or after 1 January 1983, you’ll be a British citizen if your mother or father was either:
  • a British citizen when you were born
  • ‘settled’ in the UK when you were born
‘Legally settled’ means they had the right to live permanently in the UK (also known as ‘indefinite leave to remain’)."

Always worth checking if he does decide not to go for Swiss citizenship.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 15.06.2015, 21:53
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,177
Groaned at 528 Times in 400 Posts
Thanked 11,930 Times in 4,669 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Citizenship

Quote:
View Post
Hello English Forum in Switzerland,
I am a 16 year old male living in Lugano (TI). In a month I will be elegible for Swiss citizenship. I currently have US citizenship and was born in Scotland. I am considering pros and cons of acquiring Swiss citizenship. After hearing about the mandatory military training (which can last up to 6 months!) I have been slightly discouraged.

BTW I currently attend Liceo and have plans to attend ETHZ or EPFL after Liceo.
I do not plan on living/working in Switzerland after I finish my studies (I will probably move back to US or move to Canada).
You can do the civil service instead.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 15.06.2015, 21:55
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 18,111
Groaned at 927 Times in 723 Posts
Thanked 19,659 Times in 9,459 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Citizenship

Quote:
View Post
If you don't plan to live/work here then frankly why bother with the Swiss citizenship? You don't see your life being in Switzerland so what's the point of going through the process?
So he can give up the horrible blue book at some latter date?

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 15.06.2015, 22:51
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Basel
Posts: 882
Groaned at 19 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 564 Times in 349 Posts
Meerkat33 is considered knowledgeableMeerkat33 is considered knowledgeableMeerkat33 is considered knowledgeable
Re: Swiss Citizenship

You say you're going back to the us or canada, but you're still very young and you're talking about a passport that gives you access to any job in the schengen area, useful since you're considering universities, you never know where the road is gonna lead you (or better your field of expertise).
Anyway if you don't feel any connection to switzerland and see it as a place of transit you shouldn't get it, I'm saying this as a swiss.
The military can be an annoyance but if you plan to take a gap year it fits rather well in that (civil service too, which by the way you can do in a university, i know people who postpone it till after the master or the bachelor and do it then, so they're basically working in their field as stagiaire while being paid by the state).
Since you study in switzerland after I would just wait, and maybe after you start your studies you can decide with better cognition about the future, or change idea altoghether.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Meerkat33 for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 15.06.2015, 23:27
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Ticino
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
ramokee has no particular reputation at present
Re: Swiss Citizenship

Quote:
View Post
You say you're going back to the us or canada, but you're still very young and you're talking about a passport that gives you access to any job in the schengen area, useful since you're considering universities, you never know where the road is gonna lead you (or better your field of expertise).
Anyway if you don't feel any connection to switzerland and see it as a place of transit you shouldn't get it, I'm saying this as a swiss.
The military can be an annoyance but if you plan to take a gap year it fits rather well in that (civil service too, which by the way you can do in a university, i know people who postpone it till after the master or the bachelor and do it then, so they're basically working in their field as stagiaire while being paid by the state).
Since you study in switzerland after I would just wait, and maybe after you start your studies you can decide with better cognition about the future, or change idea altoghether.
So civil service can replace military service without requiring me to take any time off ? If that is the case Id probably apply considering what you said about job opportunities. I do not plan on taking gap year also.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 15.06.2015, 23:38
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 3,381
Groaned at 62 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 2,966 Times in 1,470 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Citizenship

Quote:
View Post
So civil service can replace military service without requiring me to take any time off ? If that is the case Id probably apply considering what you said about job opportunities. I do not plan on taking gap year also.
Also if you are not living in Switzerland... you don't have to do either.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Island Monkey for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 16.06.2015, 01:24
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 18,111
Groaned at 927 Times in 723 Posts
Thanked 19,659 Times in 9,459 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Citizenship

And having done Swiss service will exempt you from US service.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 16.06.2015, 09:06
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Albisrieden
Posts: 3,832
Groaned at 93 Times in 62 Posts
Thanked 5,376 Times in 2,002 Posts
nickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Citizenship



Quote:
View Post
You can do the civil service instead.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank nickatbasel for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 16.06.2015, 09:45
p42's Avatar
p42 p42 is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Kanton Zurich, Adliswil.
Posts: 685
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 339 Times in 216 Posts
p42 has earned the respect of manyp42 has earned the respect of manyp42 has earned the respect of many
Re: Swiss Citizenship

I would go for it and do the Military service, at least some of it. If it was really bad you could always take a break from study for a year, go abroad travelling. Could be really boring and farcical at times.

You are 16, there isn't really such a rush to finish everything as it seems in your mind at that age, education, Millitary. In fact, getting the passport will be fun, enjoyable, and in 20 or 30 years time, may literally be a life saver. Be that economic, health, lifestyle. Whatever.

Quote:
View Post
You say you're going back to the us or canada, but you're still very young and you're talking about a passport that gives you access to any job in the schengen area, useful since you're considering universities, you never know where the road is gonna lead you (or better your field of expertise).
Anyway if you don't feel any connection to switzerland and see it as a place of transit you shouldn't get it, I'm saying this as a swiss.
The military can be an annoyance but if you plan to take a gap year it fits rather well in that (civil service too, which by the way you can do in a university, i know people who postpone it till after the master or the bachelor and do it then, so they're basically working in their field as stagiaire while being paid by the state).
Since you study in switzerland after I would just wait, and maybe after you start your studies you can decide with better cognition about the future, or change idea altoghether.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank p42 for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 16.06.2015, 09:55
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 18,111
Groaned at 927 Times in 723 Posts
Thanked 19,659 Times in 9,459 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Citizenship

Quote:
View Post
Also if you are not living in Switzerland... you don't have to do either.
However, then you have to pay the 2% tax.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 16.06.2015, 19:18
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Ticino
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
ramokee has no particular reputation at present
Re: Swiss Citizenship

OK guys here the deal.
I was seriously considering civil service until I read that civilian service lasts 340 days, 50% longer than a soldier's regular army service.
At this point I think I will get the red passport and do military service. If anything I think it will be a positive experience and that there is no point rushing to get a job and settle down. Plus the rest of the perks regarding an EU passport dont hurt .
I am wondering if there is anyway I can do the military service, but not take a WHOLE year of gap simply dedicated to the service (potentially over summer break).
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank ramokee for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 16.06.2015, 19:48
me.anon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: thun
Posts: 1,452
Groaned at 22 Times in 16 Posts
Thanked 1,764 Times in 869 Posts
me.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Citizenship

Quote:
View Post
If you don't plan to live/work here then frankly why bother with the Swiss citizenship? You don't see your life being in Switzerland so what's the point of going through the process?
Absolutely. Why should the OP go to all the trouble of ingratiating himself with a handful of mountain peasants when he has the whole world in his focus ?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 16.06.2015, 20:10
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 3,381
Groaned at 62 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 2,966 Times in 1,470 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Citizenship

Quote:
View Post
I am wondering if there is anyway I can do the military service, but not take a WHOLE year of gap simply dedicated to the service (potentially over summer break).
Most people do their basic training which is about 12-16 weeks, then they do the rest at 2-3 weeks a year. If you're in Switzerland your employer has to give you those weeks of and you are paid I think at 80% of your normal salary (or an army rate if your are not employed). If you leave Switzerland, you do not have to complete if, but may have to pay a tax instead.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 16.06.2015, 20:27
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: At home
Posts: 4,167
Groaned at 210 Times in 135 Posts
Thanked 6,404 Times in 2,719 Posts
Faltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Citizenship

I understand perfectly why one would not want to go to a military service. I don't judge, no problem. However, becoming Swiss means to adhere to the national identity as it is built by the national (cantonal and federal) community. To reject military service does mean that you disagree with one of the foundation of the Swiss collective self-understanding as a country.

So in your case, I'd say that you have to assess for yourself how important it is to you as a citizen, not to do military service. If it is the core of your ethical understanding, then Swiss citizenship is in contradiction with it as it stands today. If you see it as a political disagreement that does not question your identification with Switzerland as a nation, then do become Swiss, do the military service, and then engage in the groups of other Swiss citizens who want to change this understanding of the place of the army in the country.
__________________
Es wird nichts ausgelassen, um mich hier herauszuekeln. Ein Lehrbuch. False accusations and attacks continue. There is no stopping righteous people when they are wrong.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Faltrad for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 16.06.2015, 20:40
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery-Courtion
Posts: 13,513
Groaned at 170 Times in 135 Posts
Thanked 9,643 Times in 5,507 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Citizenship

Quote:
View Post
And having done Swiss service will exempt you from US service.

Tom
And will give you a bona fide case for relinquishing the little blue book (American citizenship) if you want to as well. Save yourself 2,350 bucks - not to be sneezed at. That of course presumes you're still serving in the Swiss military when you turn 18 and also don't do anything like vote in US elections, renew your US passport, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 16.06.2015, 21:02
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 18,111
Groaned at 927 Times in 723 Posts
Thanked 19,659 Times in 9,459 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss Citizenship

Quote:
View Post
If you leave Switzerland,you do not have to complete it, but may have to must pay a 2% tax instead.
FTFY.

Tom
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The value of "Swiss" Experience; should I apply for lower-level short-term positions? JDB210 Employment 2 25.07.2014 20:45
Where to check when I can apply? [Swiss citizenship] George Chernikov Permits/visas/government 1 18.02.2012 17:39
Can I apply for a Swiss citizenship after 3 years of marriage? andy.swiss Permits/visas/government 8 17.09.2011 19:07
If born in CH, how difficult is it to apply for an American citizenship? Boston2011 Permits/visas/government 12 03.08.2011 21:08
SVP Poster / "Ivan the rapist should not be allowed Swiss citizenship" simonb Swiss politics/news 763 26.12.2010 20:27


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0