Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 13.07.2015, 01:49
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: zurich
Posts: 42
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
asmpic has no particular reputation at present
Schengen travel insurance

Hi everyone,

My girlfriend wants to attempt to get a multi entry schengen visa. She's non-EU, currently studying in the UK. She's had many visa already to Switzerland and studied here as well for 3 years.
I'm looking at the different travel insurance options and see that most are for a defined duration. She would like to attempt to get a 6 month multi-entry visa where she can come for up to 90 days. So how do I get an insurance to cover the amount of days rather than a range of dates?

anyone have any experiences?
Also do you know if the postoffice travel insurance (http://www.postoffice.co.uk/travelinsurance) in the UK also counts for the schengen? It seems to be so much cheaper than all the other swiss insurance plans.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 13.07.2015, 08:33
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 3,381
Groaned at 62 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 2,966 Times in 1,470 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Schengen travel insurance

Will she be coming for 90 days at once, or 90 days over 6 months?

If she will be coming for 90 days spread over 6 months, then she needs the annual multi-trip policy from the post-office. You can get different trip limits according to the link you provided.

You select your trip limit and the area of travel (UK, Europe, Worldwide etc) when getting a quote/purchasing.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Island Monkey for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 13.07.2015, 10:52
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: zurich
Posts: 42
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
asmpic has no particular reputation at present
Re: Schengen travel insurance

Quote:
View Post
Will she be coming for 90 days at once, or 90 days over 6 months?

If she will be coming for 90 days spread over 6 months, then she needs the annual multi-trip policy from the post-office. You can get different trip limits according to the link you provided.

You select your trip limit and the area of travel (UK, Europe, Worldwide etc) when getting a quote/purchasing.
Thanks, so this travel insurance from the postoffice should be accepted then right?
Because it's significantly cheaper than some of the Swiss ones like AXA or even swisscare. By 100-200 chf.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 13.07.2015, 11:30
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,748
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,061 Times in 6,273 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Schengen travel insurance

Are you talking about the UK post office ? If so its for people who are entitled to treatment on the NHS, which is where they will end up if its anything serious & on going
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 13.07.2015, 11:42
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: zurich
Posts: 42
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
asmpic has no particular reputation at present
Re: Schengen travel insurance

Quote:
View Post
Are you talking about the UK post office ? If so its for people who are entitled to treatment on the NHS, which is where they will end up if its anything serious & on going
Yes, the UK postoffice, they offer travel health insurance. My girlfriend is currently a phd student there, so she's entitled to the NHS and all that. I just wanted to know if it's good enough to meet the schengen health insurance requirements as it's definitely cheaper than some of the others I found.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 13.07.2015, 12:18
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 3,381
Groaned at 62 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 2,966 Times in 1,470 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Schengen travel insurance

Quote:
View Post
Yes, the UK postoffice, they offer travel health insurance. My girlfriend is currently a phd student there, so she's entitled to the NHS and all that. I just wanted to know if it's good enough to meet the schengen health insurance requirements as it's definitely cheaper than some of the others I found.
Most things are generally much cheaper in the UK than Switzerland.

If she is currently resident in the UK she needs UK travel insurance not Swiss travel insurance, Swiss travel insurance is normally only valid for Swiss residents, UK insurance only valid for UK residents etc.

Travel insurance will pay for emergency treatment in the country you are on holiday in and if necessary repatriation to the UK to continue treatment there under the NHS.

Last edited by Island Monkey; 13.07.2015 at 12:31.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Island Monkey for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 13.07.2015, 15:11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: zurich
Posts: 42
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
asmpic has no particular reputation at present
Re: Schengen travel insurance

Thanks everyone, just got word from the Swiss Embassy in London that the travel insurance from the Post office in the UK is accepted.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 13.07.2015, 23:09
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 198
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 114 Times in 70 Posts
Caryl has earned the respect of manyCaryl has earned the respect of manyCaryl has earned the respect of many
Re: Schengen travel insurance

Be careful. My daughter bought travel insurance from the Post Office a few years ago, reputed to be one of the best insurances available, and it is. Indeed, she was hospitalised in Switzerland and between her EHIC card and the insurance, many thousands of francs in costs were covered in full. But she was lucky: they asked for proof that her planned stay was 30 days or less (other policies allow longer stays) and she had delayed her departure so that indeed her stay would have been (but for her hospitalisation) 30 days. They also demanded her EHIC. I don't think third-country nationals can get EHICs and you may need to make that clear when buying the insurance.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 15.07.2015, 10:11
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,748
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,061 Times in 6,273 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Schengen travel insurance

Quote:
View Post
Be careful. My daughter bought travel insurance from the Post Office a few years ago, reputed to be one of the best insurances available, and it is. Indeed, she was hospitalised in Switzerland and between her EHIC card and the insurance, many thousands of francs in costs were covered in full. But she was lucky: they asked for proof that her planned stay was 30 days or less (other policies allow longer stays) and she had delayed her departure so that indeed her stay would have been (but for her hospitalisation) 30 days. They also demanded her EHIC. I don't think third-country nationals can get EHICs and you may need to make that clear when buying the insurance.

A UK resident is entitled to an EHIC, and being UK resident is a requirement of almost all UK travel insurance.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 31.07.2015, 02:10
moggy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Thurgau (& London, UK)
Posts: 1,488
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 768 Times in 511 Posts
moggy has a reputation beyond reputemoggy has a reputation beyond reputemoggy has a reputation beyond reputemoggy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Schengen travel insurance

Quote:
View Post
A UK resident is entitled to an EHIC, and being UK resident is a requirement of almost all UK travel insurance.

Here is the direct site to apply for EHIC card, if you go through another site, they have a charge of 20 to 25 for basically checking you have filled in the form the correct way & submitting it to below site.

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthc...-the-ehic.aspx

I had a quick look at that link for the postoffice insurance, believe it says 60 days per trip. Different UK insurances give, 30 days, 60 day or 90 days. What you need to ask for is European Insurance I think,
normal insurance not including the likes of ski-ing etc, and she is in good health should be well under 100. If you want ski insurance or something else, then pay extra.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Travel to Schengen countries on a B permit rajix Permits/visas/government 7 02.04.2011 00:22
Schengen travel MountMan Permits/visas/government 13 14.10.2010 17:01
Schengen Travel Medical Insurance Tupac Insurance 20 14.09.2010 01:57
Can I travel to Schengen countries ? oktatabyebye Permits/visas/government 10 19.10.2009 20:01
Travel Insurance (Visit Visa) for Schengen Zone maypril Insurance 1 05.08.2009 20:26


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0