Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 21.07.2015, 00:35
cheesey's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,148
Groaned at 25 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 1,784 Times in 574 Posts
cheesey has a reputation beyond reputecheesey has a reputation beyond reputecheesey has a reputation beyond reputecheesey has a reputation beyond reputecheesey has a reputation beyond repute
Tricky scenario

Hi, couldn't find this exact situation with Search or Google...

Imagine a UK passport holder has a B permit for 5 years. When they go to renew it, the local gov says that they meet the time requirement for a pennant residency (C?).

However, among the requirements is a level of German that exceeds this person's capacity.

Can they stick with 'B' instead?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 21.07.2015, 00:45
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 13,779
Groaned at 209 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 11,094 Times in 6,293 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tricky scenario

Quote:
View Post
Hi, couldn't find this exact situation with Search or Google...

Imagine a UK passport holder has a B permit for 5 years. When they go to renew it, the local gov says that they meet the time requirement for a pennant residency (C?).

However, among the requirements is a level of German that exceeds this person's capacity.

Can they stick with 'B' instead?
If you don't qualify for a C, you will get a B assuming your in full time employment.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 21.07.2015, 05:59
basher's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 959
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 1,463 Times in 514 Posts
basher has a reputation beyond reputebasher has a reputation beyond reputebasher has a reputation beyond reputebasher has a reputation beyond reputebasher has a reputation beyond reputebasher has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tricky scenario

Well I just had the exact same situation - UK passport holder - here for 5 years on a B permit.
Was able to supply 3 of the 4 required documents for the renewal and consideration for the C . . . . except the language certificate. The requirement was level A2 - I presented a level A2+ certificate but because it was not from the required institution, they rejected it, despite admitting when discussing with me (in German) that my spoken German was more than adequate. My certificate was from the language centre (TLC) in Baden , which my empoyer promotes.
So I got a B renewal for 5 years with the option to go back if I take level A2 again with someone like the Goethe Institute . . . . do I care? . . . do I @@@@.
__________________
Everything will be okay in the end - if it`s not okay, it`s not the end.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank basher for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 21.07.2015, 08:47
Jack of all trades.'s Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 738
Groaned at 21 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 609 Times in 286 Posts
Jack of all trades. has an excellent reputationJack of all trades. has an excellent reputationJack of all trades. has an excellent reputationJack of all trades. has an excellent reputation
Re: Tricky scenario

Quote:
View Post
Well I just had the exact same situation - UK passport holder - here for 5 years on a B permit.
Was able to supply 3 of the 4 required documents for the renewal and consideration for the C . . . . except the language certificate. The requirement was level A2 - I presented a level A2+ certificate but because it was not from the required institution, they rejected it, despite admitting when discussing with me (in German) that my spoken German was more than adequate. My certificate was from the language centre (TLC) in Baden , which my empoyer promotes.
So I got a B renewal for 5 years with the option to go back if I take level A2 again with someone like the Goethe Institute . . . . do I care? . . . do I @@@@.
I would have thought it a good idea that the approved language centres should be listed by the government to avoid wasted money. Although certainly not a wasted education.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 21.07.2015, 08:57
roegner's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,058
Groaned at 88 Times in 66 Posts
Thanked 3,089 Times in 1,583 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tricky scenario

And if you are "lucky" to come from a country with reciprocal agreements, you do not need that language certificate at all.

And in some cases a B might be beneficial from a tax point of view (if you live in a more expensive city).
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 21.07.2015, 09:07
basher's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 959
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 1,463 Times in 514 Posts
basher has a reputation beyond reputebasher has a reputation beyond reputebasher has a reputation beyond reputebasher has a reputation beyond reputebasher has a reputation beyond reputebasher has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tricky scenario

Quote:
View Post
I would have thought it a good idea that the approved language centres should be listed by the government to avoid wasted money. Although certainly not a wasted education.
The approved institutions are actually listed when they send out the renewal letter/reminder after a 5 year B permit. I think that one of the issues is with employers as well, who should now consider which institution they promote for their employees (should be one that is `approved` by the migrationsamt).
In any case, I understand these more stringent requirements for the C permit are quite new so maybe it will take some time for things to change.
As you rightly said - I may have the wrong certificate . . . but it was certainly not a wasted education!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 21.07.2015, 10:02
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 936
Groaned at 74 Times in 44 Posts
Thanked 916 Times in 553 Posts
yacek has an excellent reputationyacek has an excellent reputationyacek has an excellent reputationyacek has an excellent reputation
Re: Tricky scenario

Having met all the req'd criteria one may apply for the C permit anytime later, but one has to pay again.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 21.07.2015, 13:26
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 209
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 57 Times in 40 Posts
HappyCreature has earned some respectHappyCreature has earned some respect
Re: Tricky scenario

Quote:
View Post
The approved institutions are actually listed when they send out the renewal letter/reminder after a 5 year B permit. I think that one of the issues is with employers as well, who should now consider which institution they promote for their employees (should be one that is `approved` by the migrationsamt).
In any case, I understand these more stringent requirements for the C permit are quite new so maybe it will take some time for things to change.
As you rightly said - I may have the wrong certificate . . . but it was certainly not a wasted education!
Can you please give here the list of approved institutions whose language certificates are valid for applying for a C permit? i read that language certificates from Goethe, Telc or DAF will be accepted in Zurich but these certificates can only be issued by few institutions in Zurich (only authorised institutions from Geothe, Telc or DAF) and i am assuming that such language certificates are valid for a C permit. Please correct me if i am wrong.

cheers
happycreature
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 21.07.2015, 14:08
hannah'sauntie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Baden
Posts: 4,374
Groaned at 25 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 5,889 Times in 2,676 Posts
hannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond reputehannah'sauntie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tricky scenario

Quote:
View Post
And if you are "lucky" to come from a country with reciprocal agreements, you do not need that language certificate at all.

And in some cases a B might be beneficial from a tax point of view (if you live in a more expensive city).

I think it also depends on in which Kanton you live. We are British in Aargau and both hubby and I have C permits, with no language requirements.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 21.07.2015, 14:44
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Was Belgium now Neuchâtel
Posts: 8,225
Groaned at 60 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 10,243 Times in 4,926 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tricky scenario

Quote:
View Post
I think it also depends on in which Kanton you live. We are British in Aargau and both hubby and I have C permits, with no language requirements.
As with so many things here it is definitely canton dependant and has been discussed on here many times before. Neuchatel doesn't request a language certificate either.
It is also nationality dependant even in the cantons which require it. Some nations have an agreement with Switzerland and national from those countries are exempt from the language requirement.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 21.07.2015, 19:33
cheesey's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,148
Groaned at 25 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 1,784 Times in 574 Posts
cheesey has a reputation beyond reputecheesey has a reputation beyond reputecheesey has a reputation beyond reputecheesey has a reputation beyond reputecheesey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tricky scenario

I'm actually surprised that zurich is one of the less forward thinking cantons on this matter
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
schnell schnell




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tricky Dickie even more tricky than we thought Medea Fleecestealer International affairs/politics 17 21.03.2013 00:04
non-eu married to eu...a new scenario perhaps bluesrules Permits/visas/government 6 06.03.2008 15:34
Tricky situation captainb Permits/visas/government 2 05.03.2007 15:47


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:48.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0