Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 14.10.2015, 10:54
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Dubai
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
andykj has no particular reputation at present
Permits Portugal Citizens allowed to have in Switzerland

Hi Guys,

I was planning to move to Switzerland (never been there before) and search a job once there, May I kindly request you'll to provide your inputs on the following:
1. Are english speaking Portugals well accepted into the job market
2. Which permits can a Portuguese acquire easily once they arrive in Switzerland.
3. Can I directly acquire a B Permit (self employed) on arrival and whats the cost.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 14.10.2015, 11:37
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Aargau
Posts: 1,559
Groaned at 12 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,809 Times in 880 Posts
Mullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Permits Portugal Citizens allowed to have in Switzerland

The Goa-Portuguese citizen immigration to Switzerland topic was discussed in August at this thread. It should answer your questions:

Portugese passport holder - documentation
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Mullhollander for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 14.10.2015, 12:00
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Dubai
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
andykj has no particular reputation at present
Re: Permits Portugal Citizens allowed to have in Switzerland

Hi Mullhollander,
What about point 3.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 14.10.2015, 12:08
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Aargau
Posts: 1,559
Groaned at 12 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,809 Times in 880 Posts
Mullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Permits Portugal Citizens allowed to have in Switzerland

This might assist you:

"Short-term employment up to three months

You do not require authorisation for short-term employment of up to three months or 90 days per calendar year. It is nevertheless required to register your employment.

Employment longer than three months
For employment lasting longer than three months, a residence permit is required. Register with the communal authorities in the place you reside before taking up work. You will be required to present a:
  • valid ID card or passport
  • copy of your rental agreement
  • passport photo

  • For self-employed:
  • accounting records, in order to prove that you can earn a decent living.
If you apply for welfare benefits, you will lose your right to remain in Switzerland. Information on cost of living and residence permits can be obtained from the cantonal immigration office."

https://www.ch.ch/en/working-switzerland-eu-efta/

This Swiss government FAQs on EU citizens seeking employment in Switzerland might be useful:

https://www.bfm.admin.ch/bfm/en/home...hweiz/faq.html

Also, you might want to search the English Forum website on "EU citizen self-employment" or similar.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Mullhollander for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 14.10.2015, 15:14
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery-Courtion
Posts: 13,478
Groaned at 169 Times in 134 Posts
Thanked 9,607 Times in 5,489 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Permits Portugal Citizens allowed to have in Switzerland

More on self-employment here:

https://www.ch.ch/en/becoming-self-employed/

http://www.kmu.admin.ch/kmu-gruenden...x.html?lang=en

You'll need a good business plan and of course sufficient funding to carry you through the initial months while the business gets going.

If you want to job hunt then you just register as a job seeker for the initial 3 months. If you don't find a job within that period you can ask for an L permit for another 3 months, providing you have sufficient funds to support yourself. You can continue to extend the L if needed for up to a year, funds permitting.

The question is what sort of work would you be looking for? Higher level employees can get away with not having a Swiss language, but lower levels will need some proficiency in German, French or Italian depending on which part of the country you plan to move to.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 14.10.2015, 18:03
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Bern
Posts: 36
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
dilip_gem has become a little unpopular
Re: Permits Portugal Citizens allowed to have in Switzerland

I'm not an expert on this but this is what I know from my research ->

You can enter Switzerland on Portuguese passport and search for a job. As soon as you register at the local council, you get 90 days to buy compulsory Swiss health insurance (costs anywhere between 250-550 chf per month depending upon the options). Please be aware that English speaking jobs are very limited. Even I'm new to this country and many of my job applications were rejected citing language requirements.
You will get L permit if your job contract is <12 months and B permit if it's >12 months. I recently got a job offer and my local council has fwdd my permit papers to the Canton Immigration office. I'm hoping to get a B permit.
You can get B permit without a job offer provided you are an EU-27 Citizen (which you are!), hold a valid Swiss health insurance and have sufficient funds to support yourself for the amount of time you want to live here (>12 months for B permit)..

Btw what is your profession?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 27.10.2015, 19:18
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: no
Posts: 19
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
EUMember has no particular reputation at present
Re: Permits Portugal Citizens allowed to have in Switzerland

Hi,

Can you please provide me what is the minimum fund you need to get B permit.

Thanks
Eumember
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 27.10.2015, 19:19
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Aargau
Posts: 846
Groaned at 322 Times in 159 Posts
Thanked 324 Times in 229 Posts
plumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthy
Re: Permits Portugal Citizens allowed to have in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Can you please provide me what is the minimum fund you need to get B permit.
Fund as in monthly salary?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 27.10.2015, 19:20
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: no
Posts: 19
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
EUMember has no particular reputation at present
Re: Permits Portugal Citizens allowed to have in Switzerland

And does that B permit allow you to work as well.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 27.10.2015, 19:22
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: no
Posts: 19
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
EUMember has no particular reputation at present
Re: Permits Portugal Citizens allowed to have in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Fund as in monthly salary?
What should be the bank balance we should show if we want to get a B permit through self sufficient. There should be a figure for eg 30K CHF. Is that a good amount to get B permit
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 27.10.2015, 19:22
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Aargau
Posts: 846
Groaned at 322 Times in 159 Posts
Thanked 324 Times in 229 Posts
plumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthy
Re: Permits Portugal Citizens allowed to have in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
And does that B permit allow you to work as well.
It depends what the B-permit was granted for in the first place! With some permits you can work, with others you can't, legally.
Quote:
View Post
What should be the bank balance we should show if we want to get a B permit through self sufficient. There should be a figure for eg 30K CHF. Is that a good amount to get B permit
I think it will be based on monthly income.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 27.10.2015, 19:32
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Aargau
Posts: 1,559
Groaned at 12 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,809 Times in 880 Posts
Mullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Permits Portugal Citizens allowed to have in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Hi,

Can you please provide me what is the minimum fund you need to get B permit.

Thanks
Eumember
Please see these FAQs for answers to your questions:

https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/en/home...hweiz/faq.html
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 27.10.2015, 19:38
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: no
Posts: 19
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
EUMember has no particular reputation at present
Re: Permits Portugal Citizens allowed to have in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I'm not an expert on this but this is what I know from my research ->

You can enter Switzerland on Portuguese passport and search for a job. As soon as you register at the local council, you get 90 days to buy compulsory Swiss health insurance (costs anywhere between 250-550 chf per month depending upon the options). Please be aware that English speaking jobs are very limited. Even I'm new to this country and many of my job applications were rejected citing language requirements.
You will get L permit if your job contract is <12 months and B permit if it's >12 months. I recently got a job offer and my local council has fwdd my permit papers to the Canton Immigration office. I'm hoping to get a B permit.
You can get B permit without a job offer provided you are an EU-27 Citizen (which you are!), hold a valid Swiss health insurance and have sufficient funds to support yourself for the amount of time you want to live here (>12 months for B permit)..

Btw what is your profession?
I am asking based on the above reply. It says you can get b permit if you can show sufficient balance. I wanted to know what is the balance they are looking for. If you say monthly salary there should be a number. And the B permit can we work.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 27.10.2015, 19:42
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 226
Groaned at 82 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 37 Times in 28 Posts
FrankSinatra is considered unworthyFrankSinatra is considered unworthyFrankSinatra is considered unworthy
Re: Permits Portugal Citizens allowed to have in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I am asking based on the above reply. It says you can get b permit if you can show sufficient balance. I wanted to know what is the balance they are looking for. If you say monthly salary there should be a number. And the B permit can we work.
I was talking to Imigration Office today and she told me to get B permit to work you need to work minimum 12 hours per week on contract that gives you unlimited employment.
You need to have 30000 fr if you come to switzerland and you dont finde job in period of 3 months. Because in first 3 months you dont need to register anywhere. After that 3 months if you dont get a job you need to register for job seeker permit but to get it you need to have 30000 fr on your account to show them you can support yourself during job seeking period.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 27.10.2015, 19:46
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 226
Groaned at 82 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 37 Times in 28 Posts
FrankSinatra is considered unworthyFrankSinatra is considered unworthyFrankSinatra is considered unworthy
Re: Permits Portugal Citizens allowed to have in Switzerland

This is from the stuff they send me:

• Bei einer Teilzeittätigkeit ist zu prüfen, ob die Arbeitnehmereigenschaft tatsächlich
gegeben ist. Geht aus dem Gesuch hervor, dass die Tätigkeit derart unbedeutend
bzw. dass diese als völlig unwesentlich zu beurteilen ist, liegt keine Arbeitnehmereigenschaft
vor (vgl. auch Ziffer 3.1). Damit von einer Arbeitnehmereigenschaft ausgegangen
werden kann, muss in der Regel ein Arbeitsverhältnis mit einer wöchentlichen
Arbeitszeit von mindestens zwölf Arbeitsstunden eingegangen werden
.
• Aufenthaltsbewilligungen EU/EFTA werden für eine Aufenthaltsdauer von fünf Jahren
ausgestellt, sofern eine Einstellungserklärung oder Arbeitsbescheinigung von einem
Jahr oder mehr vorliegt.
• Es besteht berufliche und geographische Mobilität.
• Der Stellenwechsel sowie der Wechsel von einer unselbständigen zu einer selbständigen
Erwerbstätigkeit sind nicht bewilligungs- bzw. meldepflichtig. Für die Einhaltung
der gesundheits- und wirtschaftspolizeilichen Vorschriften oder einer sonstigen Berufsausübungsbewilligung
nach kantonalem oder Bundesrecht ist der Ausländer selber
verantwortlich. Diese ersetzen nicht die ausländerrechtliche Bewilligung.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 27.10.2015, 19:47
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Aargau
Posts: 846
Groaned at 322 Times in 159 Posts
Thanked 324 Times in 229 Posts
plumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthy
Re: Permits Portugal Citizens allowed to have in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
And the B permit can we work.
It depends what the B-permit was granted for in the first place! With some permits you can work, with others you can't, legally.
Quote:
View Post
I was talking to Imigration Office today and she told me to get B permit to work you need to work minimum 12 hours per week on contract that gives you unlimited employment.
You need to have 30000 fr if you come to switzerland and you dont finde job in period of 3 months. After that 3 months if you dont get a job you need to register for job seeker permit but to get it you need to have 30000 fr on your account to show them you can support yourself during job seeking period.
I was under the impression that it is more the salary/monthly income that counts. I don't think it has much to do with the number of hours.
It doesn't really make sense either. On that notion, a huge number of people could move to Switzerland, work 12 hours a week only, have a very low salary and claim benefits to live off immediately.
It doesn't make any sense. What if the person obtaining the permit for just 12 hours a week and a low salary also has a child to support? The state would have to support that child too, via social welfare benefits.

Quote:
View Post
Because in first 3 months you dont need to register anywhere.
No. In theory you are meant to register within 8/14 days of arrival.

Quote:
View Post
This is from the stuff they send me:

• Bei einer Teilzeittätigkeit ist zu prüfen, ob die Arbeitnehmereigenschaft tatsächlich
gegeben ist. Geht aus dem Gesuch hervor, dass die Tätigkeit derart unbedeutend
bzw. dass diese als völlig unwesentlich zu beurteilen ist, liegt keine Arbeitnehmereigenschaft
vor (vgl. auch Ziffer 3.1). Damit von einer Arbeitnehmereigenschaft ausgegangen
werden kann, muss in der Regel ein Arbeitsverhältnis mit einer wöchentlichen
Arbeitszeit von mindestens zwölf Arbeitsstunden eingegangen werden
.
• Aufenthaltsbewilligungen EU/EFTA werden für eine Aufenthaltsdauer von fünf Jahren
ausgestellt, sofern eine Einstellungserklärung oder Arbeitsbescheinigung von einem
Jahr oder mehr vorliegt.
• Es besteht berufliche und geographische Mobilität.
• Der Stellenwechsel sowie der Wechsel von einer unselbständigen zu einer selbständigen
Erwerbstätigkeit sind nicht bewilligungs- bzw. meldepflichtig. Für die Einhaltung
der gesundheits- und wirtschaftspolizeilichen Vorschriften oder einer sonstigen Berufsausübungsbewilligung
nach kantonalem oder Bundesrecht ist der Ausländer selber
verantwortlich. Diese ersetzen nicht die ausländerrechtliche Bewilligung.
Translation?

Last edited by plumtree; 27.10.2015 at 20:06.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 27.10.2015, 20:00
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: no
Posts: 19
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
EUMember has no particular reputation at present
Re: Permits Portugal Citizens allowed to have in Switzerland

Thanks Frank, this is the answer I was looking for. So you need to show you have atleast 30000 chf to get a work permit after the first three months.

One question I wanted to ask during the initial 3 months can the non EU spouse also look for a job. What happens if the non-EU spouse gets a job. Is the non-spouse allowed to work legally.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 27.10.2015, 20:02
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Aargau
Posts: 1,559
Groaned at 12 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,809 Times in 880 Posts
Mullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Permits Portugal Citizens allowed to have in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I am asking based on the above reply. It says you can get b permit if you can show sufficient balance. I wanted to know what is the balance they are looking for. If you say monthly salary there should be a number. And the B permit can we work.
As an EU citizen who is coming to Switzerland to work you do not need to demonstrate that you have assets to finance yourself. If you received a work contract more than 12 months, you will receive a B permit.

If you as an EU citizen is coming to Switzerland and not planning to work, see this:

"EU/EFTA nationals
Persons who are not gainfully employed (e.g. retirees and students) may remain in Switzerland if the following conditions are met:
  • They have adequate financial resources to cover the cost of living in Switzerland so as to ensure that they will not become dependent on welfare benefits, and
  • They have a health insurance policy that also includes accident coverage.
  • Students must also show the letter confirming that they have been admitted to a recognised educational institution (confirmation of enrolment).
Stays of up to 90 days within a six-month period do not require authorisation. For longer stays, foreign nationals have to register with the cantonal migration office as a non-employed person. The corresponding EU/EFTA residence permit will remain valid for a period of five years (for students, the permit will remain valid for the duration of education and training or will remain valid for one year and be renewed at one-year intervals). These residence permits will be renewed automatically as long as the abovementioned criteria are still met."

https://www.ch.ch/en/retirement-or-study-switzerland/

The ETH university says on its website that students need to demonstrate that they have CHF 1'750 per month on which to live for the period of their studies, either by showing a bank balance or with a guaranty letter from the student's parents:

https://www.ethz.ch/en/studies/inter...ce-permit.html
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 27.10.2015, 20:03
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Aargau
Posts: 846
Groaned at 322 Times in 159 Posts
Thanked 324 Times in 229 Posts
plumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthyplumtree is considered unworthy
Re: Permits Portugal Citizens allowed to have in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
One question I wanted to ask during the initial 3 months can the non EU spouse also look for a job. What happens if the non-EU spouse gets a job. Is the non-spouse allowed to work legally.
Anybody can come to Switzerland to look for a job! In theory even job-seekers have to register their presence in Switzerland, within 8 or 14 days of arrival here.
A stay of more than 3 months requires then a permit.
Taking up employment requires a permit.
The permit must be applied for.
Again, in theory you must not start work until the permit has been applied for, though some people do start beforehand, this should not happen.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 27.10.2015, 20:09
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Aargau
Posts: 1,559
Groaned at 12 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 1,809 Times in 880 Posts
Mullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond reputeMullhollander has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Permits Portugal Citizens allowed to have in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Thanks Frank, this is the answer I was looking for. So you need to show you have at least 30000 chf to get a work permit after the first three months.
Nonsense. If you are an EU citizen and are coming to Switzerland to work, you do not need to show any financial resources.

Quote:
View Post
One question I wanted to ask during the initial 3 months can the non EU spouse also look for a job. What happens if the non-EU spouse gets a job. Is the non-spouse allowed to work legally."
"Foreign spouses citizens of UE/ALEE Under the agreement on free movement of persons, citizens of the EU / ALEE have the right to bring their families to Switzerland in the framework of family reunification, provided they have a big enough accommodation and sufficient income. Is considered as family: the spouse and children under 21 years, dependent and also dependent parents.
Attention!
If family members are third country nationals, the right to family reunification in accordance with the agreement on free movement of persons, applies only if the family member already had a residence permit in a country of EU.
The citizens of the EU receive a residence permit valid for 5 years which gives them a right of residence regardless of their partners. It is not required that the family live under one roof.

http://www.migraweb.ch/en/themen/ehe/aufenthalt/

It would be helpful if you would indicate where you are coming from and also your EU country's citizenship and spouse's non-EU citizenship, as these variables can make a difference.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
am I allowed to have BBQ in my balcony? newstudent Other/general 24 12.05.2013 20:41
Multiple Permits allowed? switzer Permits/visas/government 0 02.03.2012 13:16
Do British citizens need to acquire work permits before moving to Switzerland? Lost in Geneva Permits/visas/government 13 14.08.2011 21:10
Confused over permits [length of time allowed to seek work, EU] ManFromKent Permits/visas/government 2 26.02.2007 10:01


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0