Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 03.12.2015, 23:29
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 209
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 57 Times in 40 Posts
HappyCreature has earned some respectHappyCreature has earned some respect
Re: contract and b permit will expire soon, definetely want to stay

so what you are saying is that RAV will pay benefits only until the current permit and dont bother about extending the permit? that means if you lose your job on the last day of your permit, you will be simply kicked out.

Sorry i dont think so. when somebody is on unemployment benefits, then RAV becomes their employer and stamps the renewal form. the immigration office will not accept a renewal form without an employer for a Non EU (except in family reunification cases). so RAV has an important role in case of permit renewals for Non EUs when the NON EU becomes unemployed.

Please note i am specifically talking about Non EUs. for EUs, it may be irrelevant as i believe they always get a 5 year B permit, when they arrive the first time with a time.

cheers
happycreature
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04.12.2015, 00:22
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 6,522
Groaned at 43 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 9,156 Times in 4,356 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: contract and b permit will expire soon, definetely want to stay

Quote:
View Post
so what you are saying is that RAV will pay benefits only until the current permit and dont bother about extending the permit? that means if you lose your job on the last day of your permit, you will be simply kicked out.

Sorry i dont think so. when somebody is on unemployment benefits, then RAV becomes their employer and stamps the renewal form. the immigration office will not accept a renewal form without an employer for a Non EU (except in family reunification cases). so RAV has an important role in case of permit renewals for Non EUs when the NON EU becomes unemployed.

Please note i am specifically talking about Non EUs. for EUs, it may be irrelevant as i believe they always get a 5 year B permit, when they arrive the first time with a time.

cheers
happycreature
I can't prove you right or wrong because I only know of this one person. My comment was more meant as an anecdote as opposed to some sort of expert opinion.

If I had to guess...like all things in Switzerland, there's no one answer for every situation. Permit renewal for a non-EU on RAV depends on the original permit, the muni, the canton, the individual circumstances, the phases of the moon, and probably whether the person in charge is having a lousy day. Permit renewals start at the municipal level, so if they say no I'm not sure what recourse a person has.

I'm not saying it's right. To me it only seems fair that if one has paid into the system, and the benefits will cover living expenses, then the individual should be able to receive a permit extension to search for jobs as long as the benefits are valid.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #23  
Old 04.12.2015, 07:15
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SZ
Posts: 7,616
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 15,925 Times in 5,232 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: contract and b permit will expire soon, definetely want to stay

Quote:
View Post
so what you are saying is that RAV will pay benefits only until the current permit and dont bother about extending the permit? that means if you lose your job on the last day of your permit, you will be simply kicked out.
Happy Creature, I know several non-EU B permit holders who were unemployed at time of permit renewal and were told to pack their bags. All were employed the majority of their time here, some had the bad luck to lose their jobs only a short time before the permit renewal came due. One such had been here 9 years, paying into social insurances all that time.

Now we all know that practices vary widely, as 3Wishes says. Two individuals with exact same circumstances might be treated very differently. It seems to be up to luck.

Bottom line - a non-EU has no security net.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 04.12.2015, 18:36
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: basel
Posts: 16
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
amber2015 has no particular reputation at present
Re: contract and b permit will expire soon, definetely want to stay

For update, i inquired the tourist visa apartment and was told we can apply for the tourist visa Visa C for stay 3 monthes. We need to show our bank statement and travel insurance.
So here anyone have the expirence for the tourist visa? Could we use the current insurance instead of the travel insurance? Or have a travel insurance is better?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04.12.2015, 18:44
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: basel
Posts: 16
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
amber2015 has no particular reputation at present
Re: contract and b permit will expire soon, definetely want to stay

And my opinion about the unemploy benefit: to be a foreigner, you could not ask everything to be total fair, it is not fair but it is reasonable.It is not my country. Even live in my own country i can not make sure everything will be fair. Actually i do not belive that stuff such as Fair do exist, what i care about is: what the LAW said.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank amber2015 for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 04.12.2015, 19:05
nigelr's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Aargau
Posts: 1,425
Groaned at 109 Times in 53 Posts
Thanked 1,486 Times in 717 Posts
nigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond repute
Re: contract and b permit will expire soon, definetely want to stay

Quote:
View Post
so what you are saying is that RAV will pay benefits only until the current permit and dont bother about extending the permit?
No, I'm saying it is not the RAVs job to extend the permit, because it isn't.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank nigelr for this useful post:
  #27  
Old 04.12.2015, 20:05
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery-Courtion
Posts: 13,489
Groaned at 169 Times in 134 Posts
Thanked 9,623 Times in 5,497 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: contract and b permit will expire soon, definetely want to stay

Quote:
View Post
For update, i inquired the tourist visa apartment and was told we can apply for the tourist visa Visa C for stay 3 monthes. We need to show our bank statement and travel insurance.
So here anyone have the expirence for the tourist visa? Could we use the current insurance instead of the travel insurance? Or have a travel insurance is better?
I think you'd need to get travel insurance. Swiss health insurance is only for residents and technically you won't be one once your permit expires. Which is probably why they're asking for the travel cover.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
L permit about to expire, I'd like to stay longer. Sebast Permits/visas/government 3 13.05.2014 03:24
Work permit in process - student B permit about to expire johnmayer Permits/visas/government 10 17.02.2012 22:18
C Permit due to expire - question Ida83 Permits/visas/government 8 24.06.2011 01:35
Permit B and job soon to expire yogeshluthra Permits/visas/government 5 17.05.2010 20:25
Hello I am Australian and will be moving to Switzerland soon pharlapsheart Introductions 16 17.07.2009 19:13


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0