Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Permits/visas/government
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11.11.2016, 17:48
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Geneva
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mbdm has no particular reputation at present
Family reunification - process

Hello guys!
I am looking for clarifications on the process for family reunification.

I am Italian and, since August, I live and work in Geneva with permit B.
My spouse is American and he is trying to move here.
I have already applied for family reunification and I have been advised by my Company HR that the OCP has approved the application.
However, it is now unclear if my spouse can just move here (entering as a tourist) and then get his permit, or if he should get a visa in the US first.

Any help to clarify this point would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11.11.2016, 17:55
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 6,522
Groaned at 43 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 9,155 Times in 4,356 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Family reunification - process

The official rule is that you need to request the D-visa while he's in the U.S. and he enters with that. After all, he's not a tourist, is he.

We've read stories on EF (try the search function) where some folks got away with entering as a tourist. Others had to go to France or Germany for the visa, and others had to return to the home country and wait. Best to do it properly from the start to avoid hassles down the line.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11.11.2016, 17:56
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 579
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 269 Times in 174 Posts
simple_person is considered knowledgeablesimple_person is considered knowledgeablesimple_person is considered knowledgeable
Re: Family reunification - process

He should get a visa in the US first with the authorization(approval) letter. Your HR should have received it already. Getting D-Visa(Entry visa) is pretty quick with the authorization letter.

Quote:
View Post
Hello guys!
I am looking for clarifications on the process for family reunification.

I am Italian and, since August, I live and work in Geneva with permit B.
My spouse is American and he is trying to move here.
I have already applied for family reunification and I have been advised by my Company HR that the OCP has approved the application.
However, it is now unclear if my spouse can just move here (entering as a tourist) and then get his permit, or if he should get a visa in the US first.

Any help to clarify this point would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 21.11.2016, 18:09
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Geneva
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mbdm has no particular reputation at present
Re: Family reunification - process

Thank you for your reply. It seems to be as you say, but not as easy as you say


The OCP in Geneva has authorized the visa to be issued by the Swiss Consulate in Chicago (where he lives), but apparently it is just an honorary Consulate and has nothing to do with visas. This is what they say on the phone.


So he has been trying to get in contact with the Embassy in Washington. Unfortunately, phone calls are not being answered there so he tried with an email. What he got back is an automated message advising to check the website for info because, due to the high number of requests, the email will not be answered!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 21.11.2016, 18:14
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 6,522
Groaned at 43 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 9,155 Times in 4,356 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Family reunification - process

Quote:
View Post
Thank you for your reply. It seems to be as you say, but not as easy as you say

The OCP in Geneva has authorized the visa to be issued by the Swiss Consulate in Chicago (where he lives), but apparently it is just an honorary Consulate and has nothing to do with visas. This is what they say on the phone.

So he has been trying to get in contact with the Embassy in Washington. Unfortunately, phone calls are not being answered there so he tried with an email. What he got back is an automated message advising to check the website for info because, due to the high number of requests, the email will not be answered!
It's been a while since I went through this process but I think if you're east of the Mississippi it goes to the consulate in NY and if west then San Fran. Maybe try calling NY?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 21.11.2016, 21:29
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 8,848
Groaned at 85 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 7,391 Times in 3,729 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Family reunification - process

The Embassy can't help you. You need the consulate general in NYC or San Francisco.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 30.11.2016, 12:47
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Geneva
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
BabyJane has no particular reputation at present
Re: Family reunification - process

Quote:
View Post
Hello guys!
I am looking for clarifications on the process for family reunification.

I am Italian and, since August, I live and work in Geneva with permit B.
My spouse is American and he is trying to move here.
I have already applied for family reunification and I have been advised by my Company HR that the OCP has approved the application.
However, it is now unclear if my spouse can just move here (entering as a tourist) and then get his permit, or if he should get a visa in the US first.

Any help to clarify this point would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
I'm American and after getting married I applied for the Family Reunification through the Swiss Embassy in Atlanta (it's by region, Illinois is Washington I think). I had to go in person and have an interview. They told me I didn't have to stay in the USA while I waited and when the D Visa came that they could send it to any consulate for me to pick up in a neighboring country. She told me it was within my right to go to Switzerland as a tourist at that point, but that I had to have a return ticket to the USA within three months of departure and there was always the risk the D Visa wouldn't arrive in time and I would have to go back. That ended up complicating things for us because when Geneva found out I was already here they weren't too happy about it, even though I was told by Swiss authorities it was ok and I was legally allowed there. They told me they weren't going to issue a D Visa at all and they went ahead directly with the B Permit. It ended up working out but I found it so stressful that we got conflicting information. I always try and do things exactly right... If I were you I would go directly to the Geneva office since you are there and just do exactly what they say.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank BabyJane for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 02.12.2016, 00:57
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Geneva
Posts: 7
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
SakiC has no particular reputation at present
Re: Family reunification - process

Quote:
View Post
I'm American and after getting married I applied for the Family Reunification through the Swiss Embassy in Atlanta (it's by region, Illinois is Washington I think). I had to go in person and have an interview. They told me I didn't have to stay in the USA while I waited and when the D Visa came that they could send it to any consulate for me to pick up in a neighboring country. She told me it was within my right to go to Switzerland as a tourist at that point, but that I had to have a return ticket to the USA within three months of departure and there was always the risk the D Visa wouldn't arrive in time and I would have to go back. That ended up complicating things for us because when Geneva found out I was already here they weren't too happy about it, even though I was told by Swiss authorities it was ok and I was legally allowed there. They told me they weren't going to issue a D Visa at all and they went ahead directly with the B Permit. It ended up working out but I found it so stressful that we got conflicting information. I always try and do things exactly right... If I were you I would go directly to the Geneva office since you are there and just do exactly what they say.
I'm having this exact same issue! After applying for a Visa D now I'm staying in Geneva waiting for a B-permit. I'm having troubling anxiety waiting for something that should have been donde a long time ago.
Does anybody know how much do I have to wait for this permit B? I applied in beginning in November for the permit B and the Visa D request since June!!! And I havent received any, any notice. I'm really desperated :S
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02.12.2016, 01:40
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 8,848
Groaned at 85 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 7,391 Times in 3,729 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Family reunification - process

Quote:
View Post
I'm American and after getting married I applied for the Family Reunification through the Swiss Embassy in Atlanta (it's by region, Illinois is Washington I think). I had to go in person and have an interview. They told me I didn't have to stay in the USA while I waited and when the D Visa came that they could send it to any consulate for me to pick up in a neighboring country. She told me it was within my right to go to Switzerland as a tourist at that point, but that I had to have a return ticket to the USA within three months of departure and there was always the risk the D Visa wouldn't arrive in time and I would have to go back. That ended up complicating things for us because when Geneva found out I was already here they weren't too happy about it, even though I was told by Swiss authorities it was ok and I was legally allowed there. They told me they weren't going to issue a D Visa at all and they went ahead directly with the B Permit. It ended up working out but I found it so stressful that we got conflicting information. I always try and do things exactly right... If I were you I would go directly to the Geneva office since you are there and just do exactly what they say.
You went to the Consulate General of Switzerland in Atlanta. Not the Embassy.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank miniMia for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 02.12.2016, 08:24
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery-Courtion
Posts: 13,478
Groaned at 169 Times in 134 Posts
Thanked 9,607 Times in 5,489 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Family reunification - process

Quote:
View Post
I'm having this exact same issue! After applying for a Visa D now I'm staying in Geneva waiting for a B-permit. I'm having troubling anxiety waiting for something that should have been donde a long time ago.
Does anybody know how much do I have to wait for this permit B? I applied in beginning in November for the permit B and the Visa D request since June!!! And I havent received any, any notice. I'm really desperated :S
You have to wait as long as it takes, simple. Have you checked with the Geneva migration office to see what the status on your application is? It probably hasn't helped that you didn't wait for the Type D visa properly in Bogata. Where did you say you wanted to get the visa from? Paris or Bogata?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02.12.2016, 10:51
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Geneva
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
BabyJane has no particular reputation at present
Yes you are right! Sorry!

Quote:
View Post
I'm having this exact same issue! After applying for a Visa D now I'm staying in Geneva waiting for a B-permit. I'm having troubling anxiety waiting for something that should have been donde a long time ago.
Does anybody know how much do I have to wait for this permit B? I applied in beginning in November for the permit B and the Visa D request since June!!! And I havent received any, any notice. I'm really desperated :S
I applied for the Visa D in June as well and received the B permit a couple of days ago. I believe it was switched over to a B application in September though, so if you just applied in November it could take a lot longer. Did you already have your biometric data taken? I would go talk to them. In September they told me I would receive a convocation for an appointment to have the bio data taken, and after five weeks of it not coming I went to the office and after checking in the computer they went ahead and took the data that day, so going by never hurts--even though you do have to stand in line! Good luck!

Quote:
View Post
Yes you are right! Sorry!
I mean you are right about it being the Swiss Consulate!

Last edited by 3Wishes; 02.12.2016 at 17:57. Reason: merging consecutive replies
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02.12.2016, 12:32
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 8,848
Groaned at 85 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 7,391 Times in 3,729 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Family reunification - process

Quote:
View Post
I mean you are right about it being the Swiss Consulate!
Yes. That was clear.

I mention it because sometimes they are not in the same place and Embassies do not deal with visas, passports and admin stuff. It the Consular section. Don't go to the wrong place.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
#visa #family #usa




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice needed for visa / permit process of family reunification (US to CH) Taran Permits/visas/government 13 05.06.2016 11:46
B-permit family reunification (Canada married to Holland) process with timeline Curran919 Permits/visas/government 4 15.08.2015 10:17
Family Reunification Process - Canadian trying to join her EU husband oiler Permits/visas/government 9 27.09.2013 08:05
Family Reunification anandsundar2015 Permits/visas/government 3 29.05.2013 10:00
EEA Family Permit / Family Reunification JulieM71 Permits/visas/government 5 04.09.2010 17:09


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0