Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Pet corner
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09.10.2014, 18:51
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Joanna and David has no particular reputation at present
Dog Training

Can you recommend a good dog training class in English around the Kloton/Zurich area? Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09.10.2014, 20:13
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SZ
Posts: 7,617
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 15,925 Times in 5,232 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dog Training

Are you looking for the mandatory federal SKN courses, the mandatory Zürich courses for List 1 dogs, and if so, what age is your dog as these are age-specific - or are you looking for something else?

More information will help us help you.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09.10.2014, 21:35
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Joanna and David has no particular reputation at present
Re: Dog Training

Thank you. Yes this needed to meet the statutory requirements.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09.10.2014, 21:41
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SZ
Posts: 7,617
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 15,925 Times in 5,232 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dog Training

But which statutory requirement - the federal SKN, or the Zürich List 1?

---

Since I don't feel like pulling teeth tonight :

When did you move to Switzerland, and when did you move to canton Zürich?

What breed or mix is your dog?

What size is your dog - weight and height?

How old is your dog?

When did you acquire your dog?

Is this your first dog registered in the ANIS database?

There are potentially two sets of laws you have to deal with, the federal and the cantonal. Federal applies to everyone, but in canton ZH there are additional training classes for List 1 dogs. The above information is needed in order to determine if you fall under List 1 in canton Zürich, or not.

Really - you need to help us help you.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09.10.2014, 21:42
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery-Courtion
Posts: 13,515
Groaned at 170 Times in 135 Posts
Thanked 9,646 Times in 5,509 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dog Training

Which statutory requirements? Sorry, but you're making a lot of short question queries all over the forum without providing any info for people here to help you easily.

What breed/type of dog do you have? How many? Docked tails or cut ears? In Zurich larger dogs (height and/or weight) have to undertake additional courses so knowing what your dog is like will help us point you in the right direction. Dogs with docked tails/ears are very difficult if not impossible to import so again we need to know to be able to help.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02.11.2014, 22:47
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Zürich
Posts: 200
Groaned at 14 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 90 Times in 49 Posts
Candy-BOS-MA has earned the respect of manyCandy-BOS-MA has earned the respect of manyCandy-BOS-MA has earned the respect of many
Re: Dog Training

Quote:
View Post
Can you recommend a good dog training class in English around the Kloton/Zurich area? Thank you!
Hi,
As I look into various classes and certs to do for myself, came to find out about the SKN classes to be held by a nice gal name Patricia on these days.
  • SA 29.11.
  • SO 30.11.
  • SA 6.12
  • SO 7.12
Email her at hundeschule.zh@animalcoach.ch.


Candy
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 27.08.2015, 16:12
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Altstaetten
Posts: 14
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
lithuania777 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Dog Training

Hello everybody,
I am currently looking for advance level dog training classes. My dog is very active female, riesenschnauzer breed, almost 3 years old. I did this mandatory skn theory course (it's just stupid... Maybe very good for people,who never had dog before,but as I have dogs 15 years,breeding and training...was a bit lost time and money...). Also about practical-my dog quite well trained,so she did all SKN exercises in 3 minutes. I went one time,hope next lesson will be something more than walking by me, sit and etc...
Trainer is good,speaks English. But nobody wants to work more than just what's necessary (in my case-I payed for SKN,so he does SKN!).
Maybe someone can recommend group classes, English speaking, can someone share experiences about training courses near Sankt Gallen. I live near border with Austria,so maybe even in Austria? (can be cheaper). I can also travel somewhere near Zurich... How much it cost,how regularly, trainers...and not for beginners... I want some classes where will be more than one dog! (Because that's also part of training between some other interesting objects for my dog). Maybe someone tried trainers in Austria??? Thanks for advices!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 27.08.2015, 16:53
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SZ
Posts: 7,617
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 15,925 Times in 5,232 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dog Training

What sort of classes are you looking for?

The SKN classes are not meant to be anything other than a very basic introduction, as any mandatory course must be. But most owners go far beyond the mandated basic course. Good that you have the SKN out of the way - you are signed, sealed, and legal - and now the fun begins!

Switzerland's dog training scene is very active, all sort of sports, obedience, etc.

We do Familienhund and Team training now, which included a little bit of everything - this fits our needs, goals, abilities perfectly. We have done Nasenarbeit, Treibball, Longieren, Flyball and Agility in the past. I have three dogs, we train four times a week. The two younger dogs do Familienhund once a week individually and then once together. The ancient dog does a senior course.

We work in German so I can't give you any help with English-only classes. Do you have any German at all? Could you join a training group where the majority of the session was in German with a bit of translation on the side? If you are experienced in dog training or dog sports you likely can figure out what is going on simply from context.

I do not do competitive training, we only work for fun and for my dogs' well-being. If you are interested in competitive sports or a competitive discipline you will likely want to join a Hundeverein.

Key is finding a group whose philosophy meshes with yours. There are many training styles, you need to visit potential groups, observe a bit, see if it feels like a good fit for you and your dog.

As an FYI:

Competitive Agility, Mobility and Obedience are governed by the TKAMO:
http://www.tkamo.ch

Training such as the IPO is goverened by the TKGS:
http://www.tkgs.ch/cms/index.php/de/

You might also find information on various sports or training regimes (such as the HHB or Polydog) on the SKG site:
https://www.skg.ch/cms/home.html

If that is your thing, start with these links to search for member groups in your area.

Beyond the SKG world (btw because rescue is my thing I rarely cross paths with these folks, so will leave comments on what they can offer to others) there are countless options for advanced training.

And if you really want to reach for the stars, there is REDOG, the organization for search and rescue dogs:
http://www.redog.ch/redog.html

There are so many good Hundeschule offering all sorts of interesting activities, for all levels. But you need to give us a bit more information as to what you are looking for. In order to help you find a fitting Hundeschule or Hundeverein perhaps you can talk a bit more about what you are looking for, what exact activities you envision joining in, what you have done so far, what your training philospohy is, how far you wish to travel, etc.


ETA:

Under the federal animal law there are now restrictions to Schutzhund training. Individuals can still partake, but you have to do so with a recognized Verein.

ETA again:

Cost are all over the ball park, anywhere from CHF 15 to 150 per hour. No real rhyme or reason. Some basic beginning obedience trainers charge more per hour than advanced sports clubs. But do be aware that dog training, like everything in Switzerland, can be pricey.

But hey, our dogs are our hobbies, right? I'd rather spend it on the mutts than any of the other myriad of hobbies one could choose.

My trainer offers very good value, a great trainer at a reasonable price. I pay a yearly abo that works out to around under CHF 20 per hour for Familienhund.

Last edited by meloncollie; 28.08.2015 at 10:02.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 27.08.2015, 17:21
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Altstaetten
Posts: 14
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
lithuania777 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Dog Training

My dog knows all basics. But not so so far- I didn't do IPO... I am working with a clicker, just positive training. I am interested about all to try agility would be also nice! I need to find what is good for my dog, better to do it practical- when you meet some trainer and try some new things. And then decide what it is interesting for your dog. Of course- my dog is working dog. So I need to work with her, otherwise I loose what she learned before. All this IPO would be very good, step by step. My dog has big potential for guarding. But for these kind of things I really need to find professional.
About the language- i am new here. Would be not bad to have german speaking group (good practice for me!) but as my german is very poor now- I need a bit of translation. So trainer should speak english... But I am not new in dog training, so language-it is not big problem for me while working with a dog!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 27.08.2015, 17:45
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Altstaetten
Posts: 14
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
lithuania777 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Dog Training

And let's say- for beginning- I need obedience (advance group) or Familienhund (I don't know what it is, but sounds good)).
As English it is also not my mothers language... Agility I know, but what is it- Mobility?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 27.08.2015, 17:55
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SZ
Posts: 7,617
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 15,925 Times in 5,232 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dog Training

One possible place to start looking for good training groups would be the Reisenschnauzer Club Ostschweiz, hopefully not too far away from you:

http://www.riesenschnauzer.ch/ortsgr...eiz/index.html

The club could likely give you pointers as to 'Giant Schnauzer-appropriate' training opportunities in your area.

Also take a look at Certodog trainers. Certodog is a professional training organization - training the trainers so to speak.

Here's a list of Hundeschule run by Certodog members - simply research any near you, see if they offer what you are looking for:
http://www.certodog.ch/infos/hundeschulen/

Most trainers certified to do the SKN also offer other training programs, from sports, to fun activities, to official Prüfungen. Look at the SKN list (as that is searchable by area) and the go to these trainer's websites to see what other courses they might offer. The database of SKN trainers is here:
http://blv.bytix.com/plus/trainer/

You would probably be better served by starting a new thread with a title that made it clear that you are looking for recommendations in your area, as people will see this thread, see the first posts and think SKN, and stop reading.

The best way to find a good Hundeschule in your area, though, is by asking the dog owners you meet out and about on your walks. Stop and chat, ask where they train, ask if they enjoy it, ask if they belong to a Hundeverein. That's how I found my trainer.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 27.08.2015, 18:26
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SZ
Posts: 7,617
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 15,925 Times in 5,232 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dog Training

Quote:
View Post
And let's say- for beginning- I need obedience (advance group) or Familienhund (I don't know what it is, but sounds good)).
As English it is also not my mothers language... Agility I know, but what is it- Mobility?
Familienhund, Alltagshund, Plauschstunde etc. is generally an anything-and everything sort of course. We do a bit of each sport designed as an introduction to the sport, we do basic obedience, special sessions such as physio groundwork (which we are doing right now) or 'hot topics' such as protecting our dogs from poisoners (sadly an issue these days), we take outings such as training walks, etc.

We also work on individual issues within the group setting, something that has been a huge benefit to my reactive dog. It's loads of fun as it's always something different - and most importantly it's brain training. The group is made up of dogs (and owners) of all levels of experience, which I very much enjoy.

Hooligan has been going for 9 years now. We see it as an activity rather than just training. My newbie Heffalump has been going since he joined us in January - let's just say that he's a work in progress.

Many trainers offer a variation on 'Everyday dog' training classes.

Mobility is sort of an offshoot of Agility in that you work through a parcours of various obstacles and exercises. The emphasis is not on speed as in Agility but rather discipline. Think of it as a combo of agility and obedience. Sort of. The official rules:

http://www.tkamo.ch/media/files/mobi...t-010707-d.pdf

If you are interested in advanced Obedience you might want to work towards the BH (Begleithund) tests, BH 1,BH2 and BH3. Some info here:
http://www.tkgs.ch/cms/index.php?opt...mid=19&lang=de
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 31.08.2015, 13:24
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SZ
Posts: 7,617
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 15,925 Times in 5,232 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dog Training

Lithuania, this site listing upcoming dog events and courses might be of interest to you:

http://www.dogevents.ch/default.asp?SID=2&USID=100

You can filter by region or event type (courses, exhibitions, meetings, etc.) to find possibilities that might fit in with what you and your dog are looking for.

By the bye - I met a group who will be competing at the Swiss Open Dogdance Turnier coming up in St. Gallen on 19/20 September, and thought of your search for dog activities. Even if Dogdance isn't your thing you might find 'kindred souls' who can introduce you to other options in your area.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 03.09.2015, 15:06
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Altstaetten
Posts: 14
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
lithuania777 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Dog Training

Oh, Thanks a lot! That's really useful information!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03.09.2015, 22:52
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Switzerland, Rümlang
Posts: 24
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
denizzz has earned some respectdenizzz has earned some respect
Re: Dog Training

Quote:
View Post
What sort of classes are you looking for?

The SKN classes are not meant to be anything other than a very basic introduction, as any mandatory course must be. But most owners go far beyond the mandated basic course. Good that you have the SKN out of the way - you are signed, sealed, and legal - and now the fun begins!

Switzerland's dog training scene is very active, all sort of sports, obedience, etc.

We do Familienhund and Team training now, which included a little bit of everything - this fits our needs, goals, abilities perfectly. We have done Nasenarbeit, Treibball, Longieren, Flyball and Agility in the past. I have three dogs, we train four times a week. The two younger dogs do Familienhund once a week individually and then once together. The ancient dog does a senior course.

We work in German so I can't give you any help with English-only classes. Do you have any German at all? Could you join a training group where the majority of the session was in German with a bit of translation on the side? If you are experienced in dog training or dog sports you likely can figure out what is going on simply from context.

I do not do competitive training, we only work for fun and for my dogs' well-being. If you are interested in competitive sports or a competitive discipline you will likely want to join a Hundeverein.

Key is finding a group whose philosophy meshes with yours. There are many training styles, you need to visit potential groups, observe a bit, see if it feels like a good fit for you and your dog.

As an FYI:

Competitive Agility, Mobility and Obedience are governed by the TKAMO:
http://www.tkamo.ch

Training such as the IPO is goverened by the TKGS:
http://www.tkgs.ch/cms/index.php/de/

You might also find information on various sports or training regimes (such as the HHB or Polydog) on the SKG site:
https://www.skg.ch/cms/home.html

If that is your thing, start with these links to search for member groups in your area.

Beyond the SKG world (btw because rescue is my thing I rarely cross paths with these folks, so will leave comments on what they can offer to others) there are countless options for advanced training.

And if you really want to reach for the stars, there is REDOG, the organization for search and rescue dogs:
http://www.redog.ch/redog.html

There are so many good Hundeschule offering all sorts of interesting activities, for all levels. But you need to give us a bit more information as to what you are looking for. In order to help you find a fitting Hundeschule or Hundeverein perhaps you can talk a bit more about what you are looking for, what exact activities you envision joining in, what you have done so far, what your training philospohy is, how far you wish to travel, etc.


ETA:

Under the federal animal law there are now restrictions to Schutzhund training. Individuals can still partake, but you have to do so with a recognized Verein.

ETA again:

Cost are all over the ball park, anywhere from CHF 15 to 150 per hour. No real rhyme or reason. Some basic beginning obedience trainers charge more per hour than advanced sports clubs. But do be aware that dog training, like everything in Switzerland, can be pricey.

But hey, our dogs are our hobbies, right? I'd rather spend it on the mutts than any of the other myriad of hobbies one could choose.

My trainer offers very good value, a great trainer at a reasonable price. I pay a yearly abo that works out to around under CHF 20 per hour for Familienhund.

Hi! Do you give the course in Swiss German or high German? Still can't follow Swiss German unfortunately..
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04.09.2015, 08:15
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SZ
Posts: 7,617
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 15,925 Times in 5,232 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dog Training

Quote:
View Post
Hi! Do you give the course in Swiss German or high German? Still can't follow Swiss German unfortunately..
I don't give classes, I take them. I'm not a trainer, far from it, just a bog standard dog owner.

However the mutts and I have been working with an outstanding trainer for 9 years now. She does her courses in the usual mix of Swiss and High German that one finds everywhere in Switzerland when the group is a mix of Swiss and Auslanders. That is, she starts in High German for my benefit, but the conversation often goes back and forth between HG and SG.

As posters have commented on other threads, there are some trainers who are willing to do the course in English - but you will have many more choices if you can work in German. HG or SG.

If you are concerned about language, some trainers list the languagages they speak on their websites, but as others don't simply write all the trainers convenient to you and ask what language the trainer is willing to work in. Here is the list of certified SKN trainers:

http://blv.bytix.com/plus/trainer/


Just another coment though:

What sort of dog do you have?

Rümlang is canton Zürich - where a different set of classes are mandatory for List 1 dogs, any breed or mix whose adult weight and size are expected to be over 15kg or 45cm. If you fall into this category you will need the SKN theory course before acquiring a dog, but then must do the more extensive Zürich courses, Welpenförderung, Junghund, Erwachsene. The federal SKN requirements are rolled into the Zürich List 1 courses.

Hope you find a trainer you will enjoy working with...
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Importing dog & Dog Training/Licences Bowlertc Pet corner 21 27.03.2014 17:34
Dog training school Sunny Day Pet corner 2 17.11.2010 16:49
Are there any gundog training or sniffer dog training schools in Luzern or Zug? Kiwi Lad Pet corner 3 21.03.2010 17:09
Dog training aids Papa Goose Pet corner 26 22.02.2010 11:02


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0