Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Pet corner
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07.04.2015, 16:56
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Zurich, Oberengstringen
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
cjervais has earned some respectcjervais has earned some respect
Birds: need to surrender to an aviary or rescue

Dear All,


I have two birds that were imported from the US (my pets) 18 months ago. One is an older cockatiel (about 20 years old) and the other is a very small budgie (age unknown). Both are ISO micro-chipped (to Swiss requirements)and have importation/customs paperwork. Due to a divorce, my ex has asked that the animals be surrendered to an aviary or animal rescue versus adoption or returning them to the US.


Can anyone advise on organizations in Switzerland who could help me? Although I found an aviary in Zurich, I don't see an option to give animals to them.

Both are happy, bonded to each other, and in great health. They have been with me for over 8 years and the main desire is to avoid a small-cage home or a place where they're ignored and not cared-for properly.


Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Kindest Regards,

Charlie
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank cjervais for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 07.04.2015, 17:01
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,310
Groaned at 292 Times in 196 Posts
Thanked 12,189 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Birds: need to surrender to an aviary or rescue

Is the wish of your ex-wife part of the divorce settlement - or his she just being a spiteful dickhead?
Seems particularly petty and not in the best interest of the birds.

If her request has no official backing, then do what you believe is in the beat interest of the birds - I very much doubt that packing them back off to Uncle Sam is, though.

Last edited by TiMow; 07.04.2015 at 17:35. Reason: Misinterpreted gender correction
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank TiMow for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 07.04.2015, 17:16
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Zurich, Oberengstringen
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
cjervais has earned some respectcjervais has earned some respect
Re: Birds: need to surrender to an aviary or rescue

Dear TiMow,


Yes, it's part of the settlement agreement with my ex-wife. In it's entirety, it states:
  • Husband shall immediately bring the birds to a rescue shelter in Switzerland.
I agree with you about the petty nature of the request. But it is part of the settlement so I have to comply - or exhaust myself trying. So, you're right: in the end, I will do what's right for the birds. In the meantime, I prefer to avoid any more legal trouble. :-)

Thank you
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank cjervais for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 08.04.2015, 03:09
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: AG
Posts: 5,403
Groaned at 149 Times in 107 Posts
Thanked 6,123 Times in 2,899 Posts
Mrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Birds: need to surrender to an aviary or rescue

What a sad situation.

The assumption that a private person could not give your birds a proper environment and care for them is simply not true.

I am of the opinion that the person who allowed such a clause to exist as part of your divorce agreement knows very little about the shelter/rescue situation for birds in Switzerland.

As far as I know, this is your only option. http://www.auffangstation.ch/ (website is only in German)



I am sorry you have to give up your birds. The good news is they are bonded to each other and can be kept together.

I do know of a Tierheim with an aviary and I think this would be an acceptable environment but it is not a rescue or shelter.
__________________

Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Mrs. Doolittle for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 08.04.2015, 05:38
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: north
Posts: 6,134
Groaned at 226 Times in 146 Posts
Thanked 5,094 Times in 2,632 Posts
rob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Birds: need to surrender to an aviary or rescue

Are they both hand tame and is the cockateil louder than normal and can you give me the sexes please. I ask as I "may" be able to offer you a solution of a private rehoming. I have a very large cage but I normally leave the entry flap open so the birds are free to come and go in out as they wish.

Let me know and I might be able to help.

But another Q if you don't mind please.. as you are getting a divorce why can't you keep them with you?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08.04.2015, 12:56
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Zurich, Oberengstringen
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
cjervais has earned some respectcjervais has earned some respect
Dear Mrs. Doolittle,
Thank you for your link. I will look into that option. I think the term "rescue" may not be the best word. In the US, there are many "rescues" where birds are with other birds and are not typically adopted out to other owners who then abandon them in the future when they become discouraged by the noise or the mess that birds can make. The word chosen by my ex-wife was not taking into consideration international interpretation. That said, an aviary would be a great option.
Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
Kindest Regards,
Charlie

Dear rob1,
I do know the sexes of the birds as they're listed on their official paperwork. However, I don't know them at the moment. I'm waiting for the official import documentation to be returned to me from the US in the next two weeks. My ex-wife left 18 months ago and took the papers with her but left the animals with me. Now that a settlement agreement is finalized, she has to return the papers for me to execute the agreement.

Neither bird is louder than normal. But as my wife was completely deaf, and I am not, she knows the noise bothers me, and she knows I travel a lot with work and believes they won't receive good care with me. In fact, I provide good and adequate care but I don't have the time for them like I had in the US. They used to spend time on my shoulder every evening, eat with me a few days a week, and even had shower-perches to bath regularly. Now their care is more basic and they're not as integral a part of my life anymore. It's just not possible for me to manage. Also, my ex didn't work so they had daily attention they no longer have. This is really what she's trying to ensure they will have in a new situation.

I have an enormous cage they're in now. It's meant for a macaw and it's bigger than me and I'm 185cm tall. I can stand entirely inside the cage and not touch the top or any side. It's full of toys, etc, but we want to make sure they have a home, aviary, place of peace (rescue), etc, and aren't used for breeding or adopting out.

I don't know much about the budgie. As I worked with animal rescues for over 15 years (dogs, cats, snakes, birds, turtles), people would bring animals to me. The budgie was found in my neighborhood on the street hungry and weak. Clearly, it was someone's pet who had escaped. So we took care of him after a quarantine period.

Last edited by 3Wishes; 08.04.2015 at 16:50. Reason: merging successive posts
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank cjervais for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 08.04.2015, 13:31
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SZ
Posts: 7,618
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 15,927 Times in 5,234 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Birds: need to surrender to an aviary or rescue

cjervais, before you take definitive steps you might want to consider a consultation with Tier Im Recht. This is a foundation (whose members include lawyers) dedicated to the issues surrounding animal law - including what happens to a family's animals in divorce cases. Divorce law is evolving, with the welfare of the animal welfare becoming more of a focus.

A reading of your settlement agreement with the welfare of the birds in mind might be in everyone's interests.

I don't know if there would be a fee for a consultation or not - this is something you should ask upfront.

If they can't advise you perhaps they might be able to direct you appropriately.

www.tierimrecht.org

Hoping a good solution for your feathered friends can be found.



ETA:

This is a bit of third-hand information, but as an FYI: A colleague in rescue recently came into contact with this group:

http://www.papageienhof.ch/Papageienhof.htm

Now, her interaction was in relation to another animal, and my colleague does not have bird experience. However, she said that she was impressed. You might investigate these folks as another possibility.

Last edited by meloncollie; 08.04.2015 at 13:48.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 08.04.2015, 14:59
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: north
Posts: 6,134
Groaned at 226 Times in 146 Posts
Thanked 5,094 Times in 2,632 Posts
rob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Birds: need to surrender to an aviary or rescue

Quote:
View Post
Dear rob1,


I do know the sexes of the birds as they're listed on their official paperwork. However, I don't know them at the moment. I'm waiting for the official import documentation to be returned to me from the US in the next two weeks. My ex-wife left 18 months ago and took the papers with her but left the animals with me. Now that a settlement agreement is finalized, she has to return the papers for me to execute the agreement.


Neither bird is louder than normal. But as my wife was completely deaf, and I am not, she knows the noise bothers me, and she knows I travel a lot with work and believes they won't receive good care with me. In fact, I provide good and adequate care but I don't have the time for them like I had in the US. They used to spend time on my shoulder every evening, eat with me a few days a week, and even had shower-perches to bath regularly. Now their care is more basic and they're not as integral a part of my life anymore. It's just not possible for me to manage. Also, my ex didn't work so they had daily attention they no longer have. This is really what she's trying to ensure they will have in a new situation.


I have an enormous cage they're in now. It's meant for a macaw and it's bigger than me and I'm 185cm tall. I can stand entirely inside the cage and not touch the top or any side. It's full of toys, etc, but we want to make sure they have a home, aviary, place of peace (rescue), etc, and aren't used for breeding or adopting out.

I don't know much about the budgie. As I worked with animal rescues for over 15 years (dogs, cats, snakes, birds, turtles), people would bring animals to me. The budgie was found in my neighborhood on the street hungry and weak. Clearly, it was someone's pet who had escaped. So we took care of him after a quarantine period.
Ok thanks for full info's .. For the budgie a brown cere is female
Quote:
View Post
Dear rob1,


I do know the sexes of the birds as they're listed on their official paperwork. However, I don't know them at the moment. I'm waiting for the official import documentation to be returned to me from the US in the next two weeks. My ex-wife left 18 months ago and took the papers with her but left the animals with me. Now that a settlement agreement is finalized, she has to return the papers for me to execute the agreement.


Neither bird is louder than normal. But as my wife was completely deaf, and I am not, she knows the noise bothers me, and she knows I travel a lot with work and believes they won't receive good care with me. In fact, I provide good and adequate care but I don't have the time for them like I had in the US. They used to spend time on my shoulder every evening, eat with me a few days a week, and even had shower-perches to bath regularly. Now their care is more basic and they're not as integral a part of my life anymore. It's just not possible for me to manage. Also, my ex didn't work so they had daily attention they no longer have. This is really what she's trying to ensure they will have in a new situation.


I have an enormous cage they're in now. It's meant for a macaw and it's bigger than me and I'm 185cm tall. I can stand entirely inside the cage and not touch the top or any side. It's full of toys, etc, but we want to make sure they have a home, aviary, place of peace (rescue), etc, and aren't used for breeding or adopting out.

I don't know much about the budgie. As I worked with animal rescues for over 15 years (dogs, cats, snakes, birds, turtles), people would bring animals to me. The budgie was found in my neighborhood on the street hungry and weak. Clearly, it was someone's pet who had escaped. So we took care of him after a quarantine period.
Ok thanks for full info's .. For the budgie a brown cere is female blue is male. For the cockateil if normal grey colour variation females have yellow barring on the tail.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08.04.2015, 15:49
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 8,988
Groaned at 140 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 12,275 Times in 5,017 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Birds: need to surrender to an aviary or rescue

Quote:
View Post
...
  • Husband shall immediately bring the birds to a rescue shelter in Switzerland.
...
Day 1 - birds go to shelter as stipulated. Proof sent to lawyers.
Day 2 - a chap known only an "cjervais" goes to the shelter and adopts the birds

Surely not too hard to arrange (if you want to keep the birds, that is).
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 08.04.2015, 22:00
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: AG
Posts: 5,403
Groaned at 149 Times in 107 Posts
Thanked 6,123 Times in 2,899 Posts
Mrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Birds: need to surrender to an aviary or rescue

At the Auffangstation the birds can remain there and never adopted out. That is one option.

There is an initial check up for each bird, about chf 300, and then an annual fee of about chf 300 per bird. Also you are responsible for vet costs.

Personally I think your agreement is misguided. Isn't the point what is best for the birds? There are people who could provide a forever home for your birds. The birds are not young, at least not the cockatiel. 20 for a cockatiel is already quite old.

I am not covinced that your birds would be better off in a rescue. There are other birds there and this may not be what your birds are used to. Birds are very sensitive to change so I would really consider their needs. Plus they have each other.

The fact that you don't have time for the birds is another matter. If not for the divorce would the birds remain with you?

There is no way the noise of your birds is anything like that of our parrot. Birds are messy...that's where having dogs is an advantage. Many landlords will allow small birds.

Finding a forever home for your birds should not be that difficult. If you decide to do this, you can still take the birds to Auffangstation or to the Tierschutz.They can find a permanent home for them.
__________________

Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Mrs. Doolittle for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 10.04.2015, 10:57
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Zurich, Oberengstringen
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
cjervais has earned some respectcjervais has earned some respect
Re: Birds: need to surrender to an aviary or rescue

Dear Mrs. Doolittle,
Thank you for all your advice. I've contacted the places you mentioned and arranged a discussion about life-time care after viewing the details on their website. Thank you again very much.
FYI: I had a Mollucan Cockatoo, 2 umbrella cockatoos, and a citron cockatoo for over 15 years so I'm well acquainted with what real noise is like. I was forced to adopt them out before moving to Switzerland because the neighbors wouldn't allow it and the citron was on the endangered species list here so she wasn't allowed to come with me. :-(
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10.04.2015, 10:58
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Zurich, Oberengstringen
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
cjervais has earned some respectcjervais has earned some respect
Re: Birds: need to surrender to an aviary or rescue

Dear NotAllThere,
Clever and funny. Thanks for the laugh and creative idea.
Charlie
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank cjervais for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 10.04.2015, 11:01
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Zurich, Oberengstringen
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
cjervais has earned some respectcjervais has earned some respect
Re: Birds: need to surrender to an aviary or rescue

Dear meloncollie,
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply with your advise. I now have a good list of 4 options including what you mentioned above. In the next 2 months I'll have a chance to review and discuss with them all to find a best solution. I want to see the places in person to feel good about the choice and I thank you for your recommendation.
Kindest Regards,
Charlie
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank cjervais for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
adoption, aviary, bird, rescue, surrender




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to Switzerland. Please I need an Aussie citizen to witness my signature to vote miskis Introductions 4 03.09.2013 08:26
As an American, what do I need to work for a month or two here? danielleromack Employment 3 25.03.2013 14:23
Moving to Zurich, need help to find an apartment! markizz88 Housing in general 4 19.10.2012 04:18
Need help to post an advert on intranet of Bombardier or ABB Oerlikon dreamcatcher Other/general 0 13.11.2011 19:33


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0