Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Pet corner
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08.12.2015, 23:10
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Liestal
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 3 Posts
cellomi has no particular reputation at present
my dog has a loud belly!

Hi, i just found out here today, as a new number, i am also a dog lover/animal lover

i have my rescued mix dog charly here, i live with my husband in liestal, as both freelancer. my dog has belly sound problem since we rescue him from hungaria shelter, it always happen 2-3 times in a month. always at late night or early morning4-6am, with really loud watery sound in his belly, sometimes he will cry a bit, most of time he just wanna go out eat some grass. the slowly its gone. and he will back to normal. we have being took him to vet check, they did not find out exactly what is it, but vet gave us some medication for comfort him and make those sound away if he has this again, which almost everytime works.they said it could be too much gas/acid in his belly.there is not much they can do. beside this , he is healthy and happy pup. (have some issue problem, not aggressive just mentally have some problem, like scared of dark, and loud sound, basic from bad experience in shelter back then, he was found on street and he has few abused scar on his back and feet. we got him when he is 5, now he is almost 7/8 years old, I wondering does my dog has to face this problem his whole life time ?
Attached Thumbnails
my-dog-has-loud-belly-img_3984.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09.12.2015, 00:30
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SZ
Posts: 7,616
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 15,925 Times in 5,232 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: my dog has a loud belly!

Gorgeous pup.

Tummy trouble can come from so many different things, anything we guess at here over t'internet can only be that, a blind guess. This really should be an on-going discussion with your vet. Crying in pain should not be ignored. If you are worried that your dog is suffering getting a second opinion from another vet might be something to consider.

Towards that end:

What tests have been done?

Any constipation?

How are your dog's feces? Consistency? Color? How often, volume? Any blood or mucus?

Any vomiting? If so, how often, when, what comes up?

What exactly are you feeding your dog, how much, how often?

Has your vet discussed an exclusion diet? Or any dietary changes?

How fast does your dog usually eat?

Water consumption - any changes from usual routine, amounts?

---

For what it's worth... I've been through my share of chronic tummy troubles, ranging from stress related digestive problems, to dietary indiscretion, to parasites, to food intolerance, to IBD, to some serious conditions. What to do to treat or manage symptoms depends on the underlying condition.

When tummy troubles occur I first gather data. What was eaten, when, how much, what were the results. I look for patterns that might point to a food sensitivity, a behavioral problem, something more sinister.

And then I discuss with my vet whether to start testing. Tummy trouble is frustrating to diagnose and often means testing for the usual suspects, eliminating one possibility after another - which can get expensive. Hence the need for the owner to collect as much data as possible, hopefully helping to point towards one direction or another.

---

I would not be content to accept a consistently gassy stomach without further attempts to try to find an answer and alleviate symptoms. Do speak to your vet again, or get a second opinion.

I do hope you can get to the bottom of this.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 09.12.2015, 00:57
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Liestal
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 3 Posts
cellomi has no particular reputation at present
Re: my dog has a loud belly!

Thank you so much melon collie for those details.
my dog never has no puke or bad poop, all normal even before and after have the discomfort belly sound. shine fur and great energy everyday . i feed premium dog food dry mainly also weekend he get can or home made chicken breaks and rice cook together with vegetable. this sound sometimes don come back for months some times happen 2 times a week. beside this. is all healthy. I don remember the name of the check in vet. they took pic and some blood, was quitt expensive...but vet said they did not see any thing that suspicious bother my dog at all. he eat very slow or i say normal speed. chew like gentle man.
i do relies when we change place or travel,sometimes live at family places or have new guest, or he has stress like under firework or something make him scared at day timed surely he will have that thing again at night.
I have experienced dog sitter who is also a formal dog training for 30 years. he said it is pretty normal , his dog has from time to time too. if no puke and normal poop and eat normal it will gone in 1-2 hours.
i surely will ask vet again see if something more we find out.
thanks again!!!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09.12.2015, 01:00
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Liestal
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 3 Posts
cellomi has no particular reputation at present
Re: my dog has a loud belly!

Quote:
View Post
Gorgeous pup.

Tummy trouble can come from so many different things, anything we guess at here over t'internet can only be that, a blind guess. This really should be an on-going discussion with your vet. Crying in pain should not be ignored. If you are worried that your dog is suffering getting a second opinion from another vet might be something to consider.

Towards that end:

What tests have been done?

Any constipation?

How are your dog's feces? Consistency? Color? How often, volume? Any blood or mucus?

Any vomiting? If so, how often, when, what comes up?

What exactly are you feeding your dog, how much, how often?

Has your vet discussed an exclusion diet? Or any dietary changes?

How fast does your dog usually eat?

Water consumption - any changes from usual routine, amounts?

---

For what it's worth... I've been through my share of chronic tummy troubles, ranging from stress related digestive problems, to dietary indiscretion, to parasites, to food intolerance, to IBD, to some serious conditions. What to do to treat or manage symptoms depends on the underlying condition.

When tummy troubles occur I first gather data. What was eaten, when, how much, what were the results. I look for patterns that might point to a food sensitivity, a behavioral problem, something more sinister.

And then I discuss with my vet whether to start testing. Tummy trouble is frustrating to diagnose and often means testing for the usual suspects, eliminating one possibility after another - which can get expensive. Hence the need for the owner to collect as much data as possible, hopefully helping to point towards one direction or another.

---

I would not be content to accept a consistently gassy stomach without further attempts to try to find an answer and alleviate symptoms. Do speak to your vet again, or get a second opinion.

I do hope you can get to the bottom of this.
and i have once put my hand at his belly while the sound come, it is exactly as mine when i have too much gas flow around i can even felt it. it is exactly like mine!!!
he mainly also very confused about it....his face looks really funny at that time. but anyway i will try best to find out ..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09.12.2015, 01:05
Papa Goose's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ägeri
Posts: 3,607
Groaned at 233 Times in 190 Posts
Thanked 4,042 Times in 1,742 Posts
Papa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: my dog has a loud belly!

if this is happening at those times is could be digestive issues.

- How many times a day do you feed him?
- does he feed from a bowl on the floor or is i on a stand?
- does he get exercised before food or after, and whats the gap?

If it's frequent and painful enough to make him cry then, something more than simple vet's exam is needed. Maybe you should ask for an ultra sound to make sure his plumbing is in good order.

I hope you get the cute wee fella sorted out
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09.12.2015, 01:39
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Liestal
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 3 Posts
cellomi has no particular reputation at present
Re: my dog has a loud belly!

Hi thanks for reply !!
He eat normal from the bow on the floor cs he is a small size dog. 2 times a day. He is About 10kg. He is excited about eating but he wait patiently . I normally walk him after he eat in an hour or 2.
When he has those belly sound not very often he cried..prob happen 2 times in these years..it getting better. He don cry now any just wanna go out eat grass... Then I give him pill from vet he will be to normal in 20 -45 min after that all in normal. When we were in vet doc said he has full body check up in clouding teeth. They said he is quit amazing healthy guy if found on street. I will keep finding out with him. So far he is normal for quit long. Thank you for caring for my pup!!!!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank cellomi for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 09.12.2015, 09:24
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,092
Groaned at 102 Times in 91 Posts
Thanked 9,661 Times in 4,067 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: my dog has a loud belly!

Video next time it happens and show the vet. With these infrequent "events" it is always hard for a vet.

We did this with one of our children when he had sleep apnea... it really helped the Dr quickly diagnose the problem.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Carlos R for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 09.12.2015, 10:58
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Liestal
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 3 Posts
cellomi has no particular reputation at present
Re: my dog has a loud belly!

Quote:
View Post
Video next time it happens and show the vet. With these infrequent "events" it is always hard for a vet.

We did this with one of our children when he had sleep apnea... it really helped the Dr quickly diagnose the problem.
ok, good idea thank you carlos!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09.12.2015, 11:28
Papa Goose's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ägeri
Posts: 3,607
Groaned at 233 Times in 190 Posts
Thanked 4,042 Times in 1,742 Posts
Papa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: my dog has a loud belly!

Quote:
View Post
Hi thanks for reply !!
He eat normal from the bow on the floor cs he is a small size dog. 2 times a day. He is About 10kg. He is excited about eating but he wait patiently . I normally walk him after he eat in an hour or 2.
When he has those belly sound not very often he cried..prob happen 2 times in these years..it getting better. He don cry now any just wanna go out eat grass... Then I give him pill from vet he will be to normal in 20 -45 min after that all in normal. When we were in vet doc said he has full body check up in clouding teeth. They said he is quit amazing healthy guy if found on street. I will keep finding out with him. So far he is normal for quit long. Thank you for caring for my pup!!!!
Some dogs can suffer from these issue if the eat from the floor as they take in a lot of air when they eat. A quick fix may be a raised feeding station like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dog-raised-b...node=471398031

Also try feeding after walks rather than before, especially if he's active.

Last edited by Papa Goose; 09.12.2015 at 13:45. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Papa Goose for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 10.12.2015, 13:49
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Basel Stadt
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 46 Times in 6 Posts
RebaPhillips has no particular reputation at present
Re: my dog has a loud belly!

poor guy! we have had dogs with loud bellies as well, we add a tablespoon of cooked butternut squash every other day to their food and it really helps. canned pure pumpkin is good too, just rather hard to find.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank RebaPhillips for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 14.12.2015, 17:23
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Liestal
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 3 Posts
cellomi has no particular reputation at present
Re: my dog has a loud belly!

Quote:
View Post
poor guy! we have had dogs with loud bellies as well, we add a tablespoon of cooked butternut squash every other day to their food and it really helps. canned pure pumpkin is good too, just rather hard to find.
how should i cook butternut squash?? cut them, steam or boiled with water? thanks for the tips!!! i much i should add to his food, just only one spoon? and 2-3 times a week??he is 10kg mix breed, (jack russal + beagle maybe...)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 14.12.2015, 17:31
Papa Goose's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Ägeri
Posts: 3,607
Groaned at 233 Times in 190 Posts
Thanked 4,042 Times in 1,742 Posts
Papa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: my dog has a loud belly!

avoid trying too many things at once, else you won't know what is the fix, and it makes it harder to feedback to the vet
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Papa Goose for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help!My dog got lost this morning! (the pooch has been found now) Warcraft Pet corner 15 12.10.2012 16:21
I want my belly back! MacGregor's Daughter Family matters/health 65 26.04.2012 09:43
My dog has lymphosarcoma suemck2 Pet corner 26 11.11.2011 11:47
Help please - my Loud cat SWISSMISS143 Pet corner 23 14.10.2011 00:36
My dog has fleas. Help! angiemathur Pet corner 6 07.01.2010 14:32


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0