Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Activities > Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01.12.2010, 23:57
Tigershark's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 45
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Tigershark has no particular reputation at present
Snowboard Wax

Now that I have my first snowboard (thanks to Shane), I need to make sure I keep it maintained and waxed. I am here until July and don't know if buying everything to wax the board myself is the best idea. It's a bit pricey right? When I picked it up from having the edges sharpened the guy in the shop told me I can take it somewhere to have it waxed by a machine for about 10 CHF. Does anyone know where there is a place that does this in Lausanne? Would it just be best if I bought everything and did it myself?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 15.12.2010, 17:22
Pat's ex's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 220
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 170 Times in 75 Posts
Pat's ex is considered knowledgeablePat's ex is considered knowledgeablePat's ex is considered knowledgeable
Re: Snowboard Wax

If you're planning on boarding every season then you could buy your own tools to wax it yourself, you'll save money in the long run. I recently did just that and spent around 100CHF on everything.

You'll need an iron (I bought an old skool clothes iron from a flea market), wax scraper, wax, brush and some liquid spray cleaner. I got all of that from Oschner Sport.

Otherwise I'm not sure where to take it to get it done in Lausanne. I'm assuming there are ski shops in the city?
You could just get it waxed at a resort if you can't find any.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 15.12.2010, 17:24
Chemmie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,721
Groaned at 27 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 4,238 Times in 1,924 Posts
Chemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Snowboard Wax

Quote:
View Post
If you're planning on boarding every season then you could buy your own tools to wax it yourself, you'll save money in the long run. I recently did just that and spent around 100CHF on everything.

You'll need an iron (I bought an old skool clothes iron from a flea market), wax scraper, wax, brush and some liquid spray cleaner. I got all of that from Oschner Sport.

Otherwise I'm not sure where to take it to get it done in Lausanne. I'm assuming there are ski shops in the city?
You could just get it waxed at a resort if you can't find any.
Do you do at home sharpening as well?

I need to get more routine at sharpening, but I'm guessing this might be a better job for the pros
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 15.12.2010, 17:31
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Kanton Schwyz
Posts: 55
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 23 Times in 13 Posts
Pops has no particular reputation at present
Re: Snowboard Wax

It is a matter of having time to do it yourself, and wanting to mess around with it.
When I do day trips, often I bring the board to a shop Saturday after boarding and then pick it up on the way up on Sunday. Right at the piste (there are usually shops around all of the larger resorts)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 15.12.2010, 17:36
Pat's ex's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 220
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 170 Times in 75 Posts
Pat's ex is considered knowledgeablePat's ex is considered knowledgeablePat's ex is considered knowledgeable
Re: Snowboard Wax

Quote:
View Post
Do you do at home sharpening as well?

I need to get more routine at sharpening, but I'm guessing this might be a better job for the pros
I thought about it but then decided against it. There's probably a big chance of screwing up the edges if you're a novice.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Pat's ex for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 16.12.2010, 12:11
California Dreamer's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 929
Groaned at 56 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 878 Times in 433 Posts
California Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputation
Re: Snowboard Wax

Quote:
View Post
I thought about it but then decided against it. There's probably a big chance of screwing up the edges if you're a novice.

Hard to mess up unless you put all your muscle behind it. Most sharpeners come in a block style with degree settings. Start at 0 degree and run it down the edges a few times with light pressure. (in the same direction of skiing) Do not try to get them razor sharp unless your competing in W.C races and you have a truck full of free skis. Mostly just try to smooth out the burrs is all you really need.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 16.12.2010, 12:16
California Dreamer's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 929
Groaned at 56 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 878 Times in 433 Posts
California Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputation
Re: Snowboard Wax

Since the title says Snowboard wax I will say the best wax I have ever used is One Ball Jay 4WD. Hard to find in CH, so I use Toko which really is just as good but not as cool.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 16.12.2010, 17:35
Tigershark's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 45
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Tigershark has no particular reputation at present
Re: Snowboard Wax

Ok thanks everyone, since I'm just here until July I will just take it to a shop. How long does it take for shops to do it?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10.01.2011, 00:36
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Luzern
Posts: 3
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jepoy has no particular reputation at present
Re: Snowboard Wax

Quote:
View Post
Ok thanks everyone, since I'm just here until July I will just take it to a shop. How long does it take for shops to do it?
There are shops around most resorts that do quick waxing (using a machine) for around 5chf, and they do it on the spot within 10 minutes. If you want the proper waxing you may have to wait for at least 2 days cos it really is time consuming and they probably have just 1 or 2 employee capable of doing it.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03.11.2015, 05:49
Horatio Gonzales's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Luzern
Posts: 340
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 93 Times in 52 Posts
Horatio Gonzales has earned some respectHoratio Gonzales has earned some respect
Re: Snowboard Wax

Bumping this topic as 'tis the season...

I was going to go solo & try this for our snowboards but the 2010 poster above suggests chf10/board which doesn't make it worth while.

Anyone got more recent prices for snowboard or ski waxing?

Edge tuning also? This seems simple with the right tools.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03.11.2015, 08:54
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Nyon
Posts: 1,830
Groaned at 61 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 2,128 Times in 835 Posts
John_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Snowboard Wax

A guy in my village has all of the professional equipment for skis and boards, like a garage load of tools and machines .. Last season he was I think 20 to wax and edge my skis.. A little more to repair deep cuts. Came up like new.

So there are good prices out there.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03.11.2015, 09:10
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 1,158
Groaned at 15 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 1,310 Times in 596 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Snowboard Wax

Quote:
View Post
Bumping this topic as 'tis the season...

I was going to go solo & try this for our snowboards but the 2010 poster above suggests chf10/board which doesn't make it worth while.

Anyone got more recent prices for snowboard or ski waxing?

Edge tuning also? This seems simple with the right tools.
Just look on the SportXX or Ochsner sites, they do it all over Switzerland.

I do ours myself - four pairs of skis makes it worthwhile, less than that and the mess it makes would probably put me off.

I just have the basic Toko iron (well worth it, a normal iron really doesn't heat control well and the edges aren't bevelled enough so the wax goes up the sides instead of underneath), and the edge file which is just a file fitted in an angled slider.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank newtoswitz for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 03.11.2015, 10:34
Chemmie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,721
Groaned at 27 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 4,238 Times in 1,924 Posts
Chemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Snowboard Wax

Maybe someone has some input for me:

The thin, plastic laminate on my skis is starting to come away. On the tip area.

It's still attached at the tip and on the flat area, but along the tip curve it is all loose.

Anyone know how easy it is to get this fixed? It's just cosmetic, but pretty ugly nevertheless, and it will start flapping around when it loosens at the tip.

Ideas and potential costs would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03.11.2015, 10:56
vostok4's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Dietikon
Posts: 146
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 97 Times in 52 Posts
vostok4 has earned the respect of manyvostok4 has earned the respect of manyvostok4 has earned the respect of many
Re: Snowboard Wax

@Chemmie got a pic? If its a soft delam (ie. you could press it down with your hands and gluing would work) you use urethane glue, grab a syringe for food or something (one of the big ones), apply, clamp, let it dry and you're good. It's a flexible bond and will work well.

Considering the cost of materials and time, a normal shop should do it for like 20$. Here, I'd then guess around 9500CHF?

If you can find the glue here then just do it yourself.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank vostok4 for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 03.11.2015, 11:04
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 3,383
Groaned at 62 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 2,966 Times in 1,470 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Snowboard Wax

Quote:
View Post
Maybe someone has some input for me:

The thin, plastic laminate on my skis is starting to come away. On the tip area.

It's still attached at the tip and on the flat area, but along the tip curve it is all loose.

Anyone know how easy it is to get this fixed? It's just cosmetic, but pretty ugly nevertheless, and it will start flapping around when it loosens at the tip.

Ideas and potential costs would be greatly appreciated!
Is it the top sheet? Top sheet damage doesn't normally affect your ski, but equally, the top sheet doesn't normally just peel off for no reason?

How old is the ski? If it's fairly new get it sent back to the manufacturer. If it's pretty old, I'd just get yourself some strong glue and a clamp to fix it...... or new skis!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03.11.2015, 15:44
Markarina's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Holzhäusern
Posts: 686
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 513 Times in 278 Posts
Markarina has earned the respect of manyMarkarina has earned the respect of manyMarkarina has earned the respect of many
Re: Snowboard Wax

If you are looking to buy tools to tune your own skis, www.wax.ch their prices tend to be 10% or lower than most other places that I have looked at.

I'd also highly recommend tooltonic edging tools, they have a rotating diamond file system which means you don't have to keep moving the stone around to in the tool
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Markarina for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 03.11.2015, 16:07
Chemmie's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,721
Groaned at 27 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 4,238 Times in 1,924 Posts
Chemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond reputeChemmie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Snowboard Wax

Quote:
View Post
Is it the top sheet? Top sheet damage doesn't normally affect your ski, but equally, the top sheet doesn't normally just peel off for no reason?

How old is the ski? If it's fairly new get it sent back to the manufacturer. If it's pretty old, I'd just get yourself some strong glue and a clamp to fix it...... or new skis!
It's totally an aesthetic issue, I think it is probably a manufacturing issues. I could get some glue, but it's hard to get underneath the sheet since it is tapered on the edges like the ski. Also I don't have or want to get clamps that will do justice on the blade bend.

They're 3 years old, so Salomon probably won't do anything for me, but I still want to get a good 7 seasons out of them
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03.11.2015, 16:43
Horatio Gonzales's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Luzern
Posts: 340
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 93 Times in 52 Posts
Horatio Gonzales has earned some respectHoratio Gonzales has earned some respect
Re: Snowboard Wax

Quote:
View Post
Just look on the SportXX or Ochsner sites, they do it all over Switzerland.

I do ours myself - four pairs of skis makes it worthwhile, less than that and the mess it makes would probably put me off.

I just have the basic Toko iron (well worth it, a normal iron really doesn't heat control well and the edges aren't bevelled enough so the wax goes up the sides instead of underneath), and the edge file which is just a file fitted in an angled slider.
We too would have fours sets, 2 skis & 2 boards.
So for the hardware setup you're talking ~CHF300 including iron, wax, file & brushes.

http://shop.ochsner-sport.ch/CH/de/s...arken/toko.cat
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 15.12.2015, 16:54
lucas fitzpatrick's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: lenzerheide
Posts: 84
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 50 Times in 29 Posts
lucas fitzpatrick has no particular reputation at present
Re: Snowboard Wax

Quote:
View Post
Now that I have my first snowboard (thanks to Shane), I need to make sure I keep it maintained and waxed. I am here until July and don't know if buying everything to wax the board myself is the best idea. It's a bit pricey right? When I picked it up from having the edges sharpened the guy in the shop told me I can take it somewhere to have it waxed by a machine for about 10 CHF. Does anyone know where there is a place that does this in Lausanne? Would it just be best if I bought everything and did it myself?

Thanks!

go a buy some yellow wax at a shop and an old iron. Thats all you need.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 15.12.2015, 17:16
Ace1's Avatar
A singular modality
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Engelberg & near Basel
Posts: 5,862
Groaned at 170 Times in 121 Posts
Thanked 8,904 Times in 3,985 Posts
Ace1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond reputeAce1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Snowboard Wax

Quote:
View Post
go a buy some yellow wax at a shop and an old iron. Thats all you need.
For the first time, I recently bought a proper Toko waxing iron. All these years I've been using an old philips travel iron. Was fine on old narrow skis, but gets too cold about half way down my 122s and takes ages to heat back up It's difficult to find a domestic iron these days that has a flat sole - mostly they've got holes for steam, which I always imagine would get quite messy if used for waxing.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What do you wax? Nil Family matters/health 86 18.02.2011 17:08
[For Sale] Zurich Snowboardset F2 Snowboard, Atomic bindings, F2 Snowboard trousers flow23 Items for sale 5 24.09.2010 14:11
Burton Snowboard, Dakine Snowboard Bag & Camelbak 200chf Zurich Kiwi Jules Items for sale 9 03.06.2010 23:08
Do EF men wax? ze devil's advocate General off-topic 95 02.09.2009 12:47
Where can you buy wax / wax strips? nobody_important Other/general 17 02.05.2009 15:51


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:53.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0