Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Activities > Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 26.12.2014, 15:09
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Paras has no particular reputation at present
Problems in swimming lessons :((

Hi All, I am new here in this country and I have been attending a shared swimming lessons through one of the institutes here in Zurich. We are a group of 3. However I feel the instructor of the course is not really bothered if I am doing my stuff right, not checking me or giving any inputs, and hardly around me, but continuously monitoring the other 2 guys. I am still struggling with my basics and doing stuff wrong, as per the other swimmers in the pool I go for practise
My problem is I am worried if the age / gender / race of the instructor/ mine is causing problems here? And should I change to other class or institute? don't know what to do. can any one recommend any god option for adult beginners in swimming?
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Paras for this post:
  #2  
Old 26.12.2014, 15:14
MathNut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kt. Glarus
Posts: 4,232
Groaned at 35 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 9,962 Times in 3,068 Posts
MathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Problems in swimming lessons :((

Have you tried talking to the instructor about it? That would be my first step rather than switching classes.

Don't phrase it as "you spend too much time with the other 2 guys, what about me?" but rather "I would like some more feedback, especially in these three areas where I am still struggling".
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank MathNut for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 26.12.2014, 15:40
sva's Avatar
sva sva is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Villars sur Glâne
Posts: 560
Groaned at 19 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 385 Times in 193 Posts
sva has a reputation beyond reputesva has a reputation beyond reputesva has a reputation beyond reputesva has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Problems in swimming lessons :((

Welcome to EF and CH, Paras.
a photograph would help in clarifying the reason for your dilemma.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank sva for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 26.12.2014, 16:00
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 645
Groaned at 21 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 421 Times in 196 Posts
sam ali has earned the respect of manysam ali has earned the respect of manysam ali has earned the respect of many
Re: Problems in swimming lessons :((

Maybe the instructor is gay . And one of the other guy's cute .
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank sam ali for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 26.12.2014, 16:14
basher's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 959
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 1,463 Times in 514 Posts
basher has a reputation beyond reputebasher has a reputation beyond reputebasher has a reputation beyond reputebasher has a reputation beyond reputebasher has a reputation beyond reputebasher has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Problems in swimming lessons :((

I agree with MathNut , you should really try to talk directly to the instructor about your concerns. He/She is probably unaware of the fact that you are struggling.
Aside from that, if you still feel frustrated, I can strongly recommend the EF member I-b-Deborah, she is a qualified swimming teacher and caters for all ages and all abilities.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 26.12.2014, 16:15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 7
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Cage has no particular reputation at present
Re: Problems in swimming lessons :((

Switching classes won't get you any refunds probably. I'll advice against that. Talking to instructor would be better option.

Just out of curiosity coz you mentioned the gender thingy, guessing you are a female while the instructor is male, you should get more attention from him. No?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 26.12.2014, 16:25
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,172
Groaned at 520 Times in 398 Posts
Thanked 11,928 Times in 4,668 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Problems in swimming lessons :((

Quote:
View Post
Hi All, I am new here in this country and I have been attending a shared swimming lessons through one of the institutes here in Zurich. We are a group of 3. However I feel the instructor of the course is not really bothered if I am doing my stuff right, not checking me or giving any inputs, and hardly around me, but continuously monitoring the other 2 guys. I am still struggling with my basics and doing stuff wrong, as per the other swimmers in the pool I go for practise
My problem is I am worried if the age / gender / race of the instructor/ mine is causing problems here? And should I change to other class or institute? don't know what to do. can any one recommend any god option for adult beginners in swimming?
How can you expect us to give judgement on how good the class is, or if it is the age, race or gender of the person who is a problem when we know absolutely none of these details? Sorry, but maybe use a little common sense...
Reply With Quote
The following 12 users would like to thank Richdog for this useful post:
The following 3 users groan at Richdog for this post:
  #8  
Old 26.12.2014, 16:58
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 7
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Cage has no particular reputation at present
Re: Problems in swimming lessons :((

Quote:
View Post
How can you expect us to give judgement on how good the class is, or if it is the age, race or gender of the person who is a problem when we know absolutely none of these details? Sorry, but maybe use a little common sense...
Calm down. General questions could be granted a general solution. She isn't asking for a judgement, just advice. Few people before your post tried that. Being rude won't help her in any way.
But I also agree, giving specifics would also help her more.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Cage for this useful post:
This user groans at Cage for this post:
  #9  
Old 26.12.2014, 17:06
Dougal's Breakfast's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: GL
Posts: 15,377
Groaned at 969 Times in 737 Posts
Thanked 38,601 Times in 12,094 Posts
Dougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Problems in swimming lessons :((

Plot twist: the OP is 40, the "other two guys" are 6 and 4.
Reply With Quote
The following 12 users would like to thank Dougal's Breakfast for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 26.12.2014, 19:05
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Paras has no particular reputation at present
Re: Problems in swimming lessons :((

Quote:
View Post
How can you expect us to give judgement on how good the class is, or if it is the age, race or gender of the person who is a problem when we know absolutely none of these details? Sorry, but maybe use a little common sense...
Sorry about that sir. I am in my 30s so are the other 2 guys. The instructor is female, seems young about 21-22, is white, probably swiss. The other two guys are white, I'm not.
That's all the detail I can give. Sorry can't give the name of institute.

@Cage : Thank you sir. But I am a male, the instructor is female.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 26.12.2014, 20:06
cannut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 6,445
Groaned at 175 Times in 135 Posts
Thanked 5,514 Times in 3,042 Posts
cannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Problems in swimming lessons :((

Quote:
View Post
Sorry about that sir. I am in my 30s so are the other 2 guys. The instructor is female, seems young about 21-22, is white, probably swiss. The other two guys are white, I'm not.
That's all the detail I can give. Sorry can't give the name of institute.

@Cage : Thank you sir. But I am a male, the instructor is female.


Just to make you feel better , it happens to me all the time. And I am swiss and white . Unjust world ,you and me we should start a riot on the bahnhof strass


Lets invite some other EFer
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank cannut for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 26.12.2014, 20:14
Phos's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH
Posts: 7,177
Groaned at 462 Times in 350 Posts
Thanked 9,364 Times in 4,926 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Problems in swimming lessons :((

Maybe your choice of swimsuits?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Phos for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 26.12.2014, 20:19
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Züri
Posts: 220
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 182 Times in 97 Posts
circe is considered knowledgeablecirce is considered knowledgeablecirce is considered knowledgeable
Re: Problems in swimming lessons :((

Hi Paras,

First, welcome to the forum and to the great city of Zürich!

I recently learned to swim and can highly recommend Schwimmschule Hermann. Our classes are small and are very diverse: I've met Brazillian, Kenyan, American, German, Swiss thus far. We do seem to have many more women than men though. Our instructor is Herr Herrmann, a German swim master who has been teaching a long time.

That said, I do ask a lot of questions, and some of the best learning has been from them. He does look after us, checking our technique one at a time, and is incredibly encouraging. I prefer this style as I was learning from scratch, not improving. So maybe your coach's style just isn't a good fit for you, and that's ok. But at least try to ask some questions and see if you get the attention you need. If not, I'd advise changing. You're paying for instruction and should get it in the form that you learn best from.

Good luck!



Quote:
View Post
Hi All, I am new here in this country and I have been attending a shared swimming lessons through one of the institutes here in Zurich. We are a group of 3. However I feel the instructor of the course is not really bothered if I am doing my stuff right, not checking me or giving any inputs, and hardly around me, but continuously monitoring the other 2 guys. I am still struggling with my basics and doing stuff wrong, as per the other swimmers in the pool I go for practise
My problem is I am worried if the age / gender / race of the instructor/ mine is causing problems here? And should I change to other class or institute? don't know what to do. can any one recommend any god option for adult beginners in swimming?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank circe for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 26.12.2014, 20:21
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 18,087
Groaned at 924 Times in 720 Posts
Thanked 19,618 Times in 9,440 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Problems in swimming lessons :((

Who needs lessons to swim or ski?

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
The following 6 users groan at st2lemans for this post:
  #15  
Old 26.12.2014, 20:30
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,310
Groaned at 292 Times in 196 Posts
Thanked 12,189 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Problems in swimming lessons :((

Quote:
View Post
Who needs lessons to swim or ski?

Tom
Me!

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TiMow for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 26.12.2014, 20:41
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Was Belgium now Neuchâtel
Posts: 8,203
Groaned at 60 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 10,223 Times in 4,914 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Problems in swimming lessons :((

Quote:
View Post
Who needs lessons to swim or ski?

Tom
Most people at some point in their lives. Generally speaking we learn to swim as children and most if us have had swimming lessons of one form or another.

I had swimming lessons as a child but have never had a skiing lesson. That being said I can swim pretty well but can't ski at all.

Last edited by Belgianmum; 26.12.2014 at 21:03.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 26.12.2014, 20:45
cannut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 6,445
Groaned at 175 Times in 135 Posts
Thanked 5,514 Times in 3,042 Posts
cannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Problems in swimming lessons :((

Quote:
View Post
Who needs lessons to swim or ski?

Tom

Not me ! butt when the instructor is 22 and blond
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank cannut for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 26.12.2014, 20:46
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,644
Groaned at 152 Times in 118 Posts
Thanked 9,554 Times in 3,213 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Problems in swimming lessons :((

Quote:
View Post
Sorry about that sir. I am in my 30s so are the other 2 guys. The instructor is female, seems young about 21-22, is white, probably swiss. The other two guys are white, I'm not.
That's all the detail I can give. Sorry can't give the name of institute.

@Cage : Thank you sir. But I am a male, the instructor is female.
Please post a picture of the instructor so that we can decide if we need swimming lessons
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 26.12.2014, 21:16
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ZH
Posts: 4,438
Groaned at 55 Times in 45 Posts
Thanked 2,163 Times in 1,310 Posts
SOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond reputeSOBEIT has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Problems in swimming lessons :((

Quote:
View Post
Please post a picture of the instructor so that we can decide if we need swimming lessons
Preferably free of attire.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 26.12.2014, 22:28
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 18,087
Groaned at 924 Times in 720 Posts
Thanked 19,618 Times in 9,440 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Problems in swimming lessons :((

Quote:
View Post
Most people at some point in their lives. Generally speaking we learn to swim as children and most if us have had swimming lessons of one form or another.

I had swimming lessons as a child but have never had a skiing lesson. That being said I can swim pretty well but can't ski at all.
Well, my parents probably taught me something about swimming, but not that I can remember.

Skiing, I'm totally self taught, and am very good at it, in fact I used to race in high school.

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Private swimming lessons in Zurich? terpsichore Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 26 01.06.2015 20:30
Swimming lessons in Pfaffikon SZ Syaza Fatin Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 3 04.02.2015 15:32
English swimming lessons in Zurich? catalina Travel/day trips/free time 9 31.05.2010 23:14
Swimming lessons in Bern? Lali81 Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 7 28.03.2009 15:43
[Zurich] Swimming lessons in English? devinder2801 Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 8 11.09.2007 23:07


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0