Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Activities > Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 14.05.2015, 19:37
LiveLongandProsper's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 34
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
LiveLongandProsper has no particular reputation at present
ZH Rathaus area - Sport bar to hang on for pull ups

Hi Folks

I have just landed in the areal and trying to keep on my freeletics training, and as usual, I need to find a bar to hang on for my pull-ups.

A football goal will make the trick, I'm just about 1.65 height...

I will leave the area in the next two months so I will like to avoid spend any money for the time being... So ideally should be any outdoor structure at about 2.00m height, able to hold 61 kg... Playgrounds might be a good choice too..

Do you know something like this in the area?

In advance, a bazillion thanks.

LLaP
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 14.05.2015, 19:47
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Adliswil
Posts: 14
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lokilol has no particular reputation at present
Re: ZH Rathaus area - Sport bar to hang on for pull ups

Walking around zurichberg saw some pull up bars , I think there are some places where you can make a circuit workout, combination of running and plyometrics etc.. Probably near you at your
Local park\ hiking ground.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Lokilol for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 14.05.2015, 19:51
LiveLongandProsper's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 34
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
LiveLongandProsper has no particular reputation at present
Re: ZH Rathaus area - Sport bar to hang on for pull ups

Thanks for prompt reply Lokilol! Much appreciated!

I will just finish unpacking, get the kick scooter and leave my place to locate the circuit yo've said.

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 14.05.2015, 23:33
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Adliswil
Posts: 14
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lokilol has no particular reputation at present
Re: ZH Rathaus area - Sport bar to hang on for pull ups

Cool, post back your findings !
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 14.05.2015, 23:53
RetiredInNH's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Posts: 2,196
Groaned at 13 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 1,410 Times in 710 Posts
Blog Entries: 13
RetiredInNH has a reputation beyond reputeRetiredInNH has a reputation beyond reputeRetiredInNH has a reputation beyond reputeRetiredInNH has a reputation beyond reputeRetiredInNH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ZH Rathaus area - Sport bar to hang on for pull ups

Quote:
View Post
Walking around zurichberg saw some pull up bars , I think there are some places where you can make a circuit workout, combination of running and plyometrics etc.. Probably near you at your
Local park\ hiking ground.
Sounds lika a Vita Parcour, ZURICH VITAPARCOURS gives an overview in English with links to a site (German/French/Italian, no English) and to an iPhone app.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank RetiredInNH for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 15.05.2015, 10:19
LiveLongandProsper's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 34
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
LiveLongandProsper has no particular reputation at present
Re: ZH Rathaus area - Sport bar to hang on for pull ups

Hi Folks!

I went out yesterday to see what's over there and yes, there is an amazing running court, athletics track, football courts, in just a word amazing, which is from Zurich University, Lokilol was completely right. It's just 5 mins away from my place... However, as yesterday was holiday, everything was completely closed. And I was thinking about that fact....

Do you think I could eventually use those facilities? I mean, if they are for public use, why lock the fences? Or is it possible to use them while univeristy's normal operational hours?

Just seen RetiredInNH's reply. Thanks!! I've checked the vitaparcours site and app. Looks like I am just between two courses, One is next to the zoo and FIFA HQ and the other is in the opposite side of the lake, in Üetliberg.

I am missing a bit more of information of the exercises and facilities each circuit has; or is that do all the circuits have all the exercises? Do you know?

Thanks!!
LLaP
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 15.05.2015, 14:22
basher's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 959
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 1,463 Times in 514 Posts
basher has a reputation beyond reputebasher has a reputation beyond reputebasher has a reputation beyond reputebasher has a reputation beyond reputebasher has a reputation beyond reputebasher has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ZH Rathaus area - Sport bar to hang on for pull ups

I`ll tell you my sorry experience of doing pull ups on a football cross bar - it`s buried away in the dark recesses of my memories thankfully.
Years ago whilst I was living in the UK, I was playing amateur weekend football regularly and we trained a couple of evenings a week on the outdoor piches of a local sports centre.
Whilst waiting for the squad to eventually arrive on the training area, we used to shoot a few balls into the goals and one of us would play the goalie role - not popular because it generally involved all the hot shots blasting balls at you as hard as they could.
Anyway, this time it was me and in between people retrieving the practice balls, I decided to do a couple of pull ups using the cross bar.
The goal was a tubular steel construction with metal hooks welded to the back of the cross bar, on which the net was then fixed.
So up I jumped - kind of missed the cross bar because it was a little wet - coming down, the wrist of my right hand caught on a hook and it impaled itself right into the skin.
I was hanging there, my whole body weight on one hook, buried right into my wrist. The shock alone prevented me from even screaming.
The rest of the squad, assuming I was having fun, then proceeded to blast footballs at me as hard as they could.
Eventually I felt the skin tearing and then I fell to the floor - the hook had actually broken from the bar and was sticking out of my wrist with about 90% of it inside my arm.
Even then, the other players knew nothing about it and just carried on playing - I was in total shock and couldn`t speak. I staggered off the pitch and eventually found someone to take me to the casualty dept at the hospital. When I arrived, the triage nurse, without looking up, asked `What`s your problem` (quite friendly) - I remember saying `I`ve cut my wrist`.
At that point she took one look at me, with my bloodied arms, face and shirt - she just pushed a red button and I was treated as an emergency.

I had it cleaned up as it was very messy and ragged where the skin had torn open. The doctor gave me several local anaesthetics but still said, this may hurt a little.
The had to literally dig that hook out of my arm and I was lucky that I didn`t rutpure an artery. Took a lot of closing up with stitches and I was not able to bend my wrist for several weeks for fear of opening it up again.

So everytime now I see people jumping and grabbing cross bars of goals - I break out in a cold sweat.
__________________
Everything will be okay in the end - if it`s not okay, it`s not the end.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank basher for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 15.05.2015, 14:30
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,402
Groaned at 141 Times in 122 Posts
Thanked 14,594 Times in 6,209 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ZH Rathaus area - Sport bar to hang on for pull ups

Is this a new take on the Oepfelchammer and its infamous wooden beam?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 15.05.2015, 14:42
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 505
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 573 Times in 306 Posts
irish_temptation has an excellent reputationirish_temptation has an excellent reputationirish_temptation has an excellent reputationirish_temptation has an excellent reputation
Re: ZH Rathaus area - Sport bar to hang on for pull ups

If you want to use the facilities of the University you will have to become a member of the ASVZ. Check their Webpage to see if you can apply for a membership. http://portal.asvz.ethz.ch/english/Seiten/default.aspx
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank irish_temptation for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 15.05.2015, 15:09
LiveLongandProsper's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 34
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
LiveLongandProsper has no particular reputation at present
Re: ZH Rathaus area - Sport bar to hang on for pull ups

Hi Basher!

Ouch!

I think that somehow all of us we know a similar story. When I was young, (last century...) While we were playing football, a classmate hung from the goal bar, and the full structure collapsed over him. He was sent to the hospital, and he was about 10...

I am more confident here in CH, as goal structures are bolted into the ground, using even concrete as foundations, and hanging from the opposite side of the net shouldn't have great risk.... but THANKS for mentioning...

Quote:
View Post
I`ll tell you my sorry experience of doing pull ups on a football cross bar - it`s buried away in the dark recesses of my memories thankfully.
Years ago whilst I was living in the UK, I was playing amateur weekend football regularly and we trained a couple of evenings a week on the outdoor piches of a local sports centre.
Whilst waiting for the squad to eventually arrive on the training area, we used to shoot a few balls into the goals and one of us would play the goalie role - not popular because it generally involved all the hot shots blasting balls at you as hard as they could.
Anyway, this time it was me and in between people retrieving the practice balls, I decided to do a couple of pull ups using the cross bar.
The goal was a tubular steel construction with metal hooks welded to the back of the cross bar, on which the net was then fixed.
So up I jumped - kind of missed the cross bar because it was a little wet - coming down, the wrist of my right hand caught on a hook and it impaled itself right into the skin.
I was hanging there, my whole body weight on one hook, buried right into my wrist. The shock alone prevented me from even screaming.
The rest of the squad, assuming I was having fun, then proceeded to blast footballs at me as hard as they could.
Eventually I felt the skin tearing and then I fell to the floor - the hook had actually broken from the bar and was sticking out of my wrist with about 90% of it inside my arm.
Even then, the other players knew nothing about it and just carried on playing - I was in total shock and couldn`t speak. I staggered off the pitch and eventually found someone to take me to the casualty dept at the hospital. When I arrived, the triage nurse, without looking up, asked `What`s your problem` (quite friendly) - I remember saying `I`ve cut my wrist`.
At that point she took one look at me, with my bloodied arms, face and shirt - she just pushed a red button and I was treated as an emergency.

I had it cleaned up as it was very messy and ragged where the skin had torn open. The doctor gave me several local anaesthetics but still said, this may hurt a little.
The had to literally dig that hook out of my arm and I was lucky that I didn`t rutpure an artery. Took a lot of closing up with stitches and I was not able to bend my wrist for several weeks for fear of opening it up again.

So everytime now I see people jumping and grabbing cross bars of goals - I break out in a cold sweat.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 15.05.2015, 15:11
LiveLongandProsper's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Zurich
Posts: 34
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
LiveLongandProsper has no particular reputation at present
Re: ZH Rathaus area - Sport bar to hang on for pull ups

Thank you very much Irish_temptation!

Unfortunately, I am not eligible for a membership...

For the time being, I think I will have to check if the vitaparcours next to my place have bars, so I can do my freeletics training there....

Quote:
View Post
If you want to use the facilities of the University you will have to become a member of the ASVZ. Check their Webpage to see if you can apply for a membership. http://portal.asvz.ethz.ch/english/Seiten/default.aspx
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 17.05.2016, 15:13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Zürich
Posts: 33
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts
bowthy has no particular reputation at present
Re: ZH Rathaus area - Sport bar to hang on for pull ups

I've used three vitaparcours facilities (Rotkreuz, Uetliberg, Kusnacht), and they all had pull up bars.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
freeletics, sports, zurich 1




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shipping a valuable gift--customs hang ups abound? vrabbit Finance/banking/taxation 2 21.02.2015 16:45
[For Sale] Pull-up Bar [ZH] LindseyKey Items for sale 1 17.06.2014 00:34
Rosenhof/Rathaus Area Live Music - Bands ?? munkycheeks Entertainment & dining 1 09.10.2012 16:52
Aldi Pull ups Puhutes Family matters/health 1 23.07.2012 10:30
Mums to be in Vevey area...new to Switzerland and looking for meet-ups. Beatac Introductions 4 06.05.2012 21:18


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0