Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Activities > Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 04.09.2013, 16:43
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,465
Groaned at 50 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,226 Posts
rainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Canyon Bikes

Quote:
View Post
I have a feeling 2015 will see a retro return to 26ers.
Let's hope so.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 04.09.2013, 16:53
California Dreamer's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 929
Groaned at 56 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 878 Times in 433 Posts
California Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputation
Re: Canyon Bikes

Jared Graves run.




WC Champion Greg Minnaar




Like I said I would love a Yeti SB66 or SB75 but the cost of the frame alone is the same as a fully loaded Canyon.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 26.08.2014, 22:32
California Dreamer's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 929
Groaned at 56 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 878 Times in 433 Posts
California Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputation
Re: Canyon Bikes

The new CF Strive looks sexy as ever. I like the shape shifter tech which allows you to switch the back from 130 to 160mm, it also raises the BB (less pedal strikes in XC mode) and changes the HA. Plus the weight can't be beat for a bike in this class. I might order one, but I also might order a YT Capra but I think the Strive May be an all round better bike. Too bad I can't demo both back to back
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 26.08.2014, 23:37
Uncle GroOve's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mendrisio
Posts: 1,065
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 715 Times in 374 Posts
Uncle GroOve has a reputation beyond reputeUncle GroOve has a reputation beyond reputeUncle GroOve has a reputation beyond reputeUncle GroOve has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Canyon Bikes

Quote:
View Post
The new CF Strive looks sexy as ever. I like the shape shifter tech which allows you to switch the back from 130 to 160mm, it also raises the BB (less pedal strikes in XC mode) and changes the HA. Plus the weight can't be beat for a bike in this class. I might order one, but I also might order a YT Capra but I think the Strive May be an all round better bike. Too bad I can't demo both back to back
Just buy 'em all and lend me the ones you don't use
Deal?

P.
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 27.08.2014, 01:17
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,465
Groaned at 50 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,226 Posts
rainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Canyon Bikes

Quote:
View Post
The new CF Strive looks sexy as ever. I like the shape shifter tech which allows you to switch the back from 130 to 160mm, it also raises the BB (less pedal strikes in XC mode) and changes the HA. Plus the weight can't be beat for a bike in this class. I might order one, but I also might order a YT Capra but I think the Strive May be an all round better bike. Too bad I can't demo both back to back
I also had a look at the Strive - it being one of the last 26" bikes on the market.


Just wondering if it isn't "too much" for me.

Also, what do you think about the concerns raised in this review?
http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/ca...-8-0-13-47507/

And this discussion:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/to...seems-on-paper
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 27.08.2014, 09:07
Uncle GroOve's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mendrisio
Posts: 1,065
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 715 Times in 374 Posts
Uncle GroOve has a reputation beyond reputeUncle GroOve has a reputation beyond reputeUncle GroOve has a reputation beyond reputeUncle GroOve has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Canyon Bikes

Quote:
View Post
The new CF Strive looks sexy as ever. I like the shape shifter tech which allows you to switch the back from 130 to 160mm, it also raises the BB (less pedal strikes in XC mode) and changes the HA. Plus the weight can't be beat for a bike in this class. I might order one, but I also might order a YT Capra but I think the Strive May be an all round better bike. Too bad I can't demo both back to back
Vuallà (sic)
all some nice goodies
in one fine post

Cheers!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Uncle GroOve for this useful post:
  #107  
Old 27.08.2014, 09:11
Uncle GroOve's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mendrisio
Posts: 1,065
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 715 Times in 374 Posts
Uncle GroOve has a reputation beyond reputeUncle GroOve has a reputation beyond reputeUncle GroOve has a reputation beyond reputeUncle GroOve has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Canyon Bikes

Quote:
View Post
I also had a look at the Strive - it being one of the last 26" bikes on the market.


Just wondering if it isn't "too much" for me.

Also, what do you think about the concerns raised in this review?
http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/ca...-8-0-13-47507/

And this discussion:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/to...seems-on-paper
If it's "too much" then you probably won't encounter the same limits exposed in the reviews. Those testers do push the rigs harder than the average sunday rider (i.e. me). If you pay up and go for the better equip'd bikes you'll prob be fine. Make a point of checking Canyon's "outlet" store for end-of-season special offers on ex-demo bikes....!

Paul
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 27.08.2014, 10:09
California Dreamer's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 929
Groaned at 56 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 878 Times in 433 Posts
California Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputation
Re: Canyon Bikes

Quote:
View Post
I also had a look at the Strive - it being one of the last 26" bikes on the market.


Just wondering if it isn't "too much" for me.

Also, what do you think about the concerns raised in this review?
http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/ca...-8-0-13-47507/

And this discussion:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/to...seems-on-paper
Those reviews are irrelevant as the new strive is a new bike. Just look at he photos and you'll see its a completely different layout as far as suspension goes. Plus they have Fabian Barel and a few other talented riders help push the development of canyon the last few seasons. I'm still waiting for more reviews before I make my decision but judging by the numbers I may like the Strive better as it should be more playful than the Capra. The Capra is basically a mini DH bike and since I already have a full blown DH bike I may need more separation. I need something between my XC and DH bikes.
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 27.08.2014, 18:16
Uncle GroOve's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mendrisio
Posts: 1,065
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 715 Times in 374 Posts
Uncle GroOve has a reputation beyond reputeUncle GroOve has a reputation beyond reputeUncle GroOve has a reputation beyond reputeUncle GroOve has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Canyon Bikes

So you want to see what the talented riders ride, eh...?

You're in for some surprise, buddy


Cheers
P.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 27.08.2014, 18:50
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,465
Groaned at 50 Times in 31 Posts
Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,226 Posts
rainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Canyon Bikes

Quote:
View Post
If it's "too much" then you probably won't encounter the same limits exposed in the reviews. Those testers do push the rigs harder than the average sunday rider (i.e. me). If you pay up and go for the better equip'd bikes you'll prob be fine. Make a point of checking Canyon's "outlet" store for end-of-season special offers on ex-demo bikes....!

Paul
Found this "mini-review":


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lWG...KfxppgEAmsAutw

Looks like it's good bike.
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 28.08.2014, 13:10
California Dreamer's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 929
Groaned at 56 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 878 Times in 433 Posts
California Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputation
Re: Canyon Bikes

Here is a "first look" review of the new 2015 CF Strive.
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/canyon-...irst-look.html

What I like is the ability to switch the geo on the fly. Other bikes have this option but you have to get off your bike, pull out your tools and spend a few minutes fiddling around with it. Good luck if it's dirty. This system is much better. Also the reviewer noted that it was stable at high speeds, railed corners and it has short chain stays (more playful and easier to lift the front wheel off the ground). It seems to straddle that line between poppy and plough. I likey.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 28.08.2014, 14:05
Radar's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ehrendingen
Posts: 66
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Radar has earned the respect of manyRadar has earned the respect of manyRadar has earned the respect of many
Re: Canyon Bikes

The new strive does look very nice, but it seems the switch to a carbon frame and shape shifter comes with a steep price increase. Cheapest model is now €3699.

I'm in the market for a longish travel AM bike as my old Canyon nerve has a cracked head tube.
Anyone have any experience with the Radon Slide? It also offers 160mm travel, carbon frame and nice components but starts at €2999.
You can still get very similar 2014 models for a small discount.
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 28.08.2014, 14:42
California Dreamer's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 929
Groaned at 56 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 878 Times in 433 Posts
California Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputation
Re: Canyon Bikes

Quote:
View Post
The new strive does look very nice, but it seems the switch to a carbon frame and shape shifter comes with a steep price increase. Cheapest model is now €3699.

I'm in the market for a longish travel AM bike as my old Canyon nerve has a cracked head tube.
Anyone have any experience with the Radon Slide? It also offers 160mm travel, carbon frame and nice components but starts at €2999.
You can still get very similar 2014 models for a small discount.
I was also looking at the Radon slide but very little info or reviews. IMO canyon has better engineers thus a better bike. The strive is a very clean looking bike which tells me more attention to detail. For me personally I think €4,000 for a 160mm carbon fiber bike that weighs less than 13kg with top of the line components is one hell of a deal. Comparable bikes go from 7k-9k so anything cheaper than 4k tells me there is more risk as the quality of the frame may not be the same. It really depends on which factory the frame was produced and the quality control of that factory. Canyon uses a factory with an outstanding reputation. I have no idea which factory Radon uses.

Edit: it should also be noted that it is becoming more expensive to manufacture bikes in Taiwan as the factories are becoming more high tech and the increase in labor costs.

Last edited by California Dreamer; 28.08.2014 at 14:58.
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 30.08.2014, 12:46
California Dreamer's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 929
Groaned at 56 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 878 Times in 433 Posts
California Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputation
Re: Canyon Bikes

Interesting road bike concept with leaf spring suspension.

https://www.canyon.com/_en/eurobike2...connected.html
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 03.09.2014, 11:54
Uncle GroOve's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mendrisio
Posts: 1,065
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 715 Times in 374 Posts
Uncle GroOve has a reputation beyond reputeUncle GroOve has a reputation beyond reputeUncle GroOve has a reputation beyond reputeUncle GroOve has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Canyon Bikes

Quote:
View Post
The new strive does look very nice, but it seems the switch to a carbon frame and shape shifter comes with a steep price increase. Cheapest model is now €3699.

I'm in the market for a longish travel AM bike as my old Canyon nerve has a cracked head tube.
Anyone have any experience with the Radon Slide? It also offers 160mm travel, carbon frame and nice components but starts at €2999.
You can still get very similar 2014 models for a small discount.
Ouch - cracked head tube? What model/year? How did you damage it...changed the fork? Big air?...

P.
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 03.09.2014, 14:15
Radar's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ehrendingen
Posts: 66
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Radar has earned the respect of manyRadar has earned the respect of manyRadar has earned the respect of many
Re: Canyon Bikes

Quote:
View Post
Ouch - cracked head tube? What model/year? How did you damage it...changed the fork? Big air?...

P.
2007 Nerve ES 7.0

Definitely no big airs and still has the stock Fox forks.
Don't know what happened to be honest, but I've ridden thousand of Km's on it and had my fair share of offs so I'm not too surprised or disappointed.

Was a great bike and I'd happily buy Canyon again.
Just wish I'd spotted the crack when I was talking the fork off to send for service rather than when I was putting it back on

Oh well, the Strive AL prices are online now and look more like my budget compared to the CF
Attached Thumbnails
canyon-bikes-head-tube.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 03.09.2014, 16:53
Uncle GroOve's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mendrisio
Posts: 1,065
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 715 Times in 374 Posts
Uncle GroOve has a reputation beyond reputeUncle GroOve has a reputation beyond reputeUncle GroOve has a reputation beyond reputeUncle GroOve has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Canyon Bikes

Quote:
View Post
2007 Nerve ES 7.0

Definitely no big airs and still has the stock Fox forks.
Don't know what happened to be honest, but I've ridden thousand of Km's on it and had my fair share of offs so I'm not too surprised or disappointed.

Was a great bike and I'd happily buy Canyon again.
Just wish I'd spotted the crack when I was talking the fork off to send for service rather than when I was putting it back on

Oh well, the Strive AL prices are online now and look more like my budget compared to the CF
'11 Nerve AM SL here. Thinking of changing fork + shock but then again their instruction manual states that the frame is designed around the specific components, etc, etc so maybe I'll evtl take the plunge as well, money permitting. And the new Strive looks like a nice bag of tricks since my riding is equally divided between climb and descent.
Cheers

Paul
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 10.02.2015, 00:08
California Dreamer's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 929
Groaned at 56 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 878 Times in 433 Posts
California Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputationCalifornia Dreamer has an excellent reputation
Re: Canyon Bikes

These bikes are pretty cheap at the moment. I actually just ordered a YT Capra to take advantage of the euro/chf rate. I'm so glad I was indecisive on which bike I wanted. Strive, Capra, Uprising, Spartan, Range etc, etc. The SNB helped me decide and saved me several thousand CHF .

Too many great bikes these days that all function terrifically well. The only separating factor has to be price and right now there is no better price than canyon/YT/Radon.
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 11.11.2015, 13:09
Uncle GroOve's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mendrisio
Posts: 1,065
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 715 Times in 374 Posts
Uncle GroOve has a reputation beyond reputeUncle GroOve has a reputation beyond reputeUncle GroOve has a reputation beyond reputeUncle GroOve has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Canyon Bikes

Jest a heads-up, since I had previously voiced about my satisfaction with this brand.

Currently having a bit of a WTF moment w/ Canyon TBH.

Found a hairline crack in a chain stay after I investigated a creaking sound I really didn't like.

Sent hi-res pic to Canyon (DE) and was bounced back to... Canyon Italia just because when I purch'd said bike Canyon DE was not allowed to ship to CH.

Now I am being asked from my italian friends:
1) side pic of whole bike,
2) pic of affected chain stay
3) micro pic of crack itself,
but I still don't know IF I will be allowed to buy the replacement part.

I have volunteered to have the bike disassembled and broken part shipped back to them at my cost...but IF the bike is to be fixed I need to have the whole crapload (yes the complete bike) sent back to them
Nucking futs and not very happy at all.
Moreover this currently implies a 4+4hr round trip - and it might all be in vain.

Rant mode off, for now.
__________________
>absence of evidence ≠ evidence of absence<
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 11.11.2015, 13:30
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,191
Groaned at 529 Times in 401 Posts
Thanked 11,948 Times in 4,678 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Canyon Bikes

Is it just me or have the prices at Canyon also taken a steep rise in the last year?
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cycling with kids -- trail-a-bikes and trailer bikes WorryWart Family matters/health 25 17.04.2011 14:36
Decathlon bikes? Castro Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 29 27.04.2010 17:30
Spinning Bikes Carter Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 19 04.10.2008 15:41
bikes janice ward Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 4 26.07.2008 19:37
m-budget bikes balance Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 13 10.06.2008 11:24


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0