Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Swiss politics/news
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 21.01.2013, 22:02
Hausamsee's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Luzern
Posts: 237
Groaned at 17 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 126 Times in 58 Posts
Hausamsee is considered knowledgeableHausamsee is considered knowledgeableHausamsee is considered knowledgeable
Davos 2013 - WEF

So who is going to be there then apart from Gordon Brown, David Cameron & Bill Gates?

http://www.weforum.org/events/world-...l-meeting-2013

I will be there for the first time ever working so please, anyone who has been (in whatever capacity) share your views on it & what I can expect (apart from very high security of course)...

Last edited by Hausamsee; 21.01.2013 at 22:21.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Hausamsee for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 21.01.2013, 23:53
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 16,748
Groaned at 231 Times in 180 Posts
Thanked 10,164 Times in 5,920 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Davos 2013 - WEF

Quote:
View Post
So who is going to be there then apart from Gordon Brown, David Cameron & Bill Gates?

http://www.weforum.org/events/world-...l-meeting-2013

I will be there for the first time ever working so please, anyone who has been (in whatever capacity) share your views on it & what I can expect (apart from very high security of course)...
Already confirmed is Angela Merkel. From Switzerland at least three members of the Federal government, most likely Foreign Minister Didier Burkhalter, Economy Minister Johann Schneider-Ammann and Finance Minister Eveline Widmer-Schlumpf, but possibly also Justice Minister Simonetta Sommaruga and Interior Minister Alain Berset. From abroad, already confirmed of course is the Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti who will give the opening speech.

Also present, among dozens of other state leaders, will be the State President of Azerbaijan, Mr Aliyev. In fact the supreme chief of SOCAR which has taken over ESSO Schweiz. Just right now, ESSO Glattbrugg is redone into a SOCAR station, and apparently will be fully re-docarated tomorrow evening. Some major folks from Qatar, possibly even the ruling Emir, are also expected. As are a number of Latin American leaders. And of course Islam Karimov of Uzbekistan and Nursultan Nazerbayev, two almost traditional "habitués" of the WEF
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 21.01.2013, 23:55
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 16,748
Groaned at 231 Times in 180 Posts
Thanked 10,164 Times in 5,920 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Davos 2013 - WEF

Quote:
View Post
So who is going to be there then apart from Gordon Brown, David Cameron & Bill Gates?

http://www.weforum.org/events/world-...l-meeting-2013

I will be there for the first time ever working so please, anyone who has been (in whatever capacity) share your views on it & what I can expect (apart from very high security of course)...
In case you are interested in the airplanes and not in the chaps, you can book roundtrips by special buses inside the airport aerea via
www.buchairnet.ch
some of the tours are already fully booked but others still have places available
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 22.01.2013, 01:43
moggy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Thurgau (& London, UK)
Posts: 1,199
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 514 Times in 352 Posts
moggy has an excellent reputationmoggy has an excellent reputationmoggy has an excellent reputationmoggy has an excellent reputation
Re: Davos 2013 - WEF

OP, sorry for this brief, i typed but lost my previous & just about off to bed.

Check the weather for Davos, last year 3 meters of snow

Clothing:
Anyway make sure you have suitable footwear for walking on the pavements of Davos town, expect them to be Ice/Snow.

Appreciate you will be offered chauffer much of the the time, but believe maybe you will choose to walk from some venues to another, there is immense security, half of which I understand, but prefer not to speak on open forum and maybe a quarter you will realise on your 1st visit.

If you have gloves, scarf, warm hat bring them. There are many high range / Disgner Shops in Davos Town, or alternatively a small C&A opposite the main Coop & micros centre.

Sunglasses are a must, for the reflection from the Snow mountains all around

will write more another time, night night.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 22.01.2013, 02:26
Hausamsee's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Luzern
Posts: 237
Groaned at 17 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 126 Times in 58 Posts
Hausamsee is considered knowledgeableHausamsee is considered knowledgeableHausamsee is considered knowledgeable
Re: Davos 2013 - WEF

Quote:
View Post
Already confirmed is Angela Merkel. From Switzerland at least three members of the Federal government, most likely Foreign Minister Didier Burkhalter, Economy Minister Johann Schneider-Ammann and Finance Minister Eveline Widmer-Schlumpf, but possibly also Justice Minister Simonetta Sommaruga and Interior Minister Alain Berset. From abroad, already confirmed of course is the Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti who will give the opening speech.

Also present, among dozens of other state leaders, will be the State President of Azerbaijan, Mr Aliyev. In fact the supreme chief of SOCAR which has taken over ESSO Schweiz. Just right now, ESSO Glattbrugg is redone into a SOCAR station, and apparently will be fully re-docarated tomorrow evening. Some major folks from Qatar, possibly even the ruling Emir, are also expected. As are a number of Latin American leaders. And of course Islam Karimov of Uzbekistan and Nursultan Nazerbayev, two almost traditional "habitués" of the WEF
You forgot....Rolf-Dieter Heuer

Director-General, European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN), Switzerland
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 22.01.2013, 05:21
Wallabies's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 2,868
Groaned at 259 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 2,841 Times in 1,350 Posts
Wallabies has a reputation beyond reputeWallabies has a reputation beyond reputeWallabies has a reputation beyond reputeWallabies has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Davos 2013 - WEF

Lots of police and security personnel
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Wallabies for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 22.01.2013, 06:20
Assassin's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chasing clouds
Posts: 3,713
Groaned at 153 Times in 105 Posts
Thanked 9,729 Times in 2,739 Posts
Assassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Davos 2013 - WEF

The Air Force will be providing a constant airborne watch with F/A-18 Hornets and F-5 Tigers flying out of Meiringen airfield. Special procedures in place for all air traffic in the eastern part of Switzerland. Advance clearance required for all traffic inbound Samedan. Intensive helicopter operations shuttling from ZRH & Dübendorf up to Davos.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 22.01.2013, 10:45
Hausamsee's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Luzern
Posts: 237
Groaned at 17 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 126 Times in 58 Posts
Hausamsee is considered knowledgeableHausamsee is considered knowledgeableHausamsee is considered knowledgeable
Re: Davos 2013 - WEF

Quote:
View Post
Lots of police and security personnel
Not just around Davos but about 6-7 security on every Hotel reception with airport-style x-ray machines & conveyor belts set-up too.

Glad I'm not staying in any Hotel there, no fun being checked every time you go outside.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 22.01.2013, 10:55
Phil_MCR's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,862
Groaned at 193 Times in 116 Posts
Thanked 9,760 Times in 4,233 Posts
Phil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond reputePhil_MCR has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Davos 2013 - WEF

i go skiing every year during WEF. it is awesome. the bigwigs book out all the hotels but rarely ski so you have the slopes to yourself...
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Phil_MCR for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 22.01.2013, 16:44
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 16,748
Groaned at 231 Times in 180 Posts
Thanked 10,164 Times in 5,920 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Davos 2013 - WEF

Among the political leaders present are the Presidents of Niigeria and South Africa and Prime Minister Medvedyev from Russia. Also political leaders from China, Vietnam and Laos are expected
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 22.01.2013, 16:53
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 16,748
Groaned at 231 Times in 180 Posts
Thanked 10,164 Times in 5,920 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Davos 2013 - WEF

Quote:
View Post
You forgot....Rolf-Dieter Heuer

Director-General, European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN), Switzerland
There are more than 1000 industry leaders arriving but only between 100 and 150 heads-of-government/heads-of-state, But indeed several 100 ministers and government mid-file officials.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 22.01.2013, 18:51
Battlekitten's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ruschlikon
Posts: 113
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 102 Times in 47 Posts
Battlekitten is considered knowledgeableBattlekitten is considered knowledgeableBattlekitten is considered knowledgeable
Mr Battlekitten is going. He is the one skidding about in leather soled shoes, no scarf or hat or gloves.

I did get him a nice smart down jacket and rubber soled footwear but it got "forgotten". Groan.

Edit for typo
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 22.01.2013, 20:22
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: north
Posts: 5,439
Groaned at 204 Times in 127 Posts
Thanked 4,023 Times in 2,078 Posts
rob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Davos 2013 - WEF

Quote:
View Post
In case you are interested in the airplanes and not in the chaps, you can book roundtrips by special buses inside the airport aerea via
www.buchairnet.ch
some of the tours are already fully booked but others still have places available

tell me about it, bus loads of spotters everywhere, now takes ages to get from 1 side of the airport to the other. its fun watching the police escort the fleets amg g wagons.

also a shame seeing the nice jets from countries that cant afford a pot to piss in, for SA its and old 737 from the SA air force, currently parked on gate A02
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 22.01.2013, 20:48
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 16,748
Groaned at 231 Times in 180 Posts
Thanked 10,164 Times in 5,920 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Davos 2013 - WEF

Quote:
View Post
tell me about it, bus loads of spotters everywhere, now takes ages to get from 1 side of the airport to the other. its fun watching the police escort the fleets amg g wagons.

also a shame seeing the nice jets from countries that cant afford a pot to piss in, for SA its and old 737 from the SA air force, currently parked on gate A02
here

http://www.buchairnet.ch/de/tour/2013_schedule.pdf

you can see the schedules of the buses. all the tours are exactly planned, co-ordinated with airport and security and police. No, the various moves do not take ages, but less than 15 minutes, usually only 10 minutes. There in fact are some either retired or off-duty policemen and ATC controllers among the tour-guides
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 22.01.2013, 20:55
Merrylegs's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Vaud/Valais
Posts: 807
Groaned at 26 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 885 Times in 385 Posts
Merrylegs has a reputation beyond reputeMerrylegs has a reputation beyond reputeMerrylegs has a reputation beyond reputeMerrylegs has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Davos 2013 - WEF

Quote:
View Post
Already confirmed is Angela Merkel. From Switzerland at least three members of the Federal government, most likely Foreign Minister Didier Burkhalter, Economy Minister Johann Schneider-Ammann and Finance Minister Eveline Widmer-Schlumpf, but possibly also Justice Minister Simonetta Sommaruga and Interior Minister Alain Berset. From abroad, already confirmed of course is the Italian Prime Minister Mario Monti who will give the opening speech.

Also present, among dozens of other state leaders, will be the State President of Azerbaijan, Mr Aliyev. In fact the supreme chief of SOCAR which has taken over ESSO Schweiz. Just right now, ESSO Glattbrugg is redone into a SOCAR station, and apparently will be fully re-docarated tomorrow evening. Some major folks from Qatar, possibly even the ruling Emir, are also expected. As are a number of Latin American leaders. And of course Islam Karimov of Uzbekistan and Nursultan Nazerbayev, two almost traditional "habitués" of the WEF
What, no Tony Bliar (and that is not a typo!). How can the WEF take place without the participation of the World's Saviour?! We are all doomed I fear!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 22.01.2013, 21:16
Hausamsee's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Luzern
Posts: 237
Groaned at 17 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 126 Times in 58 Posts
Hausamsee is considered knowledgeableHausamsee is considered knowledgeableHausamsee is considered knowledgeable
Re: Davos 2013 - WEF

Quote:
View Post
What, no Tony Bliar (and that is not a typo!). How can the WEF take place without the participation of the World's Saviour?! We are all doomed I fear!
According to the Guardian (.co.uk) Blair will be there
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 22.01.2013, 21:17
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: north
Posts: 5,439
Groaned at 204 Times in 127 Posts
Thanked 4,023 Times in 2,078 Posts
rob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond reputerob1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Davos 2013 - WEF

Quote:
View Post
here

http://www.buchairnet.ch/de/tour/2013_schedule.pdf

you can see the schedules of the buses. all the tours are exactly planned, co-ordinated with airport and security and police. No, the various moves do not take ages, but less than 15 minutes, usually only 10 minutes. There in fact are some either retired or off-duty policemen and ATC controllers among the tour-guides

It takes ages if you work at the airport and need to drive around but are delayed because of extra traffic... there was already a stau for 15 mins on 1 of the main internal roads
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 22.01.2013, 21:20
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 16,748
Groaned at 231 Times in 180 Posts
Thanked 10,164 Times in 5,920 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Davos 2013 - WEF

Quote:
View Post
What, no Tony Bliar (and that is not a typo!). How can the WEF take place without the participation of the World's Saviour?! We are all doomed I fear!

Did not find Tony Blair among the speakers, BUT Gordon Brown will give a speech on Saturday, and on Friday, up from 14.15, there will be a speech by King Abdullah II bn Hussein, the King of Jordan.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 22.01.2013, 21:26
Merrylegs's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Vaud/Valais
Posts: 807
Groaned at 26 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 885 Times in 385 Posts
Merrylegs has a reputation beyond reputeMerrylegs has a reputation beyond reputeMerrylegs has a reputation beyond reputeMerrylegs has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Davos 2013 - WEF

Wolfy, the name is Bliar, as in liar, OK?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 22.01.2013, 21:28
Hausamsee's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Luzern
Posts: 237
Groaned at 17 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 126 Times in 58 Posts
Hausamsee is considered knowledgeableHausamsee is considered knowledgeableHausamsee is considered knowledgeable
Re: Davos 2013 - WEF

Amazingly, anyone who can provide live pictures will see that they have heavily salted the roads but not properly cleared them of snow in the village itself.

Taking detours around the Congress Centre (directed by Police) to the Promenade is quite difficult up the hills in a rear wheel drive car (Mercedes)...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
economics, politics, wef




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Young Socialist amazed by WEF plaudits The Local Swiss news via The Local 0 07.12.2011 13:28
Head of WEF security in apparent suicide Swissmountainair Swiss politics/news 8 30.01.2010 15:07
WEF security staff temp 23.01.10-01.02.10 markalex Jobs offered 9 07.10.2009 16:32
Info on MTB route Davos - Durrboden - Keschhutte - Bergun - Davos Harriet and Patrick Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 16 07.08.2009 21:25
Info on MTB route Davos - Durrboden - Keschhutte - Bergun - Davos Harriet and Patrick Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 0 03.08.2009 20:41


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0