Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Swiss politics/news
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #121  
Old 30.01.2013, 23:38
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 18,144
Groaned at 926 Times in 722 Posts
Thanked 19,735 Times in 9,481 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tina Turner to become Swiss

Quote:
View Post
Now put yourself in the mind of a Swiss kid who will be turning 18 soon and has been looking at these sort of posters regularly for the last 6-7 years. Am pretty sure the "geniuses in the SVP" have been doing so.
Total nonsense.

Virtually all 18 year olds become leftist scum!

Then, when they mature, they find the RIGHT way!

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #122  
Old 31.01.2013, 10:35
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 7,522
Groaned at 164 Times in 139 Posts
Thanked 8,548 Times in 4,684 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tina Turner to become Swiss

Quote:
View Post
Could that be simply because there are a lot of SVP voters among the rural communities and these communities quite often have more of a public vote to decide whether someone gets citizenship rather than from the applicant meeting a criteria in a more objective way?
The article said that in those communities with a high number of SVP voters & where they had a public vote then a high number of certain races failed to get citizenship.
When those communities changed to the Gemeinderat making the decision then more people achieved citizenship.
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 31.01.2013, 13:15
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: zürich
Posts: 3,117
Groaned at 107 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 3,815 Times in 1,560 Posts
i-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond reputei-b-deborah has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tina Turner to become Swiss

Aren't we forgetting something?

Tina Turner rocks!

Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank i-b-deborah for this useful post:
  #124  
Old 01.02.2013, 00:03
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tina Turner to become Swiss

Quote:
View Post
Aren't we forgetting something?

Tina Turner rocks!


Indeed ! Really splendid entertainment. But something became clear to me. I will never again describe Tina Turner as "black" as she is not really

Last edited by Wollishofener; 01.02.2013 at 06:09.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users groan at Wollishofener for this post:
  #125  
Old 01.02.2013, 00:23
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 6,611
Groaned at 188 Times in 147 Posts
Thanked 10,975 Times in 4,534 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tina Turner to become Swiss

Quote:
View Post
Aren't we forgetting something?

Tina Turner rocks!

She was 70 in that performance!!! She looks, dances and sings the same as when I saw her in 1985 -- and she was an (I thought) elderly 46 then!

(TT was nearly 5 times Justin Bieber's age in 2009 -- just sayin' ...)
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post:
  #126  
Old 01.02.2013, 00:26
Caviarchips's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Basel Stadt
Posts: 4,006
Groaned at 110 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 6,677 Times in 2,388 Posts
Caviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond reputeCaviarchips has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tina Turner to become Swiss

Quote:
View Post
Indeed ! Really splendid entertainment. But something became clear to me. I will never again describe Tina Turner as "black" as she is white - - - - - I mean as white as whites between Milano and Cairo generally are
I'm never really sure what your posts mean, but I think that is quite offensive
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Caviarchips for this useful post:
  #127  
Old 01.02.2013, 00:31
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 6,611
Groaned at 188 Times in 147 Posts
Thanked 10,975 Times in 4,534 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tina Turner to become Swiss

Quote:
View Post
I will never again describe Tina Turner as "black"
Good. Because she isn't. She has African American, Native American and European ancestry.

Quote:
View Post
as she is white
No, she isn't.

Quote:
View Post
I mean as white as whites between Milano and Cairo generally are
Oh Gott. I give up.

Wolli -- please think before posting. Your scribblings can be really offensive -- I know you don't mean to be, but ...

ETA: Caviarchips and I just cross-posted. Same message ... if you don't want to listen to me, please listen to him.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post:
  #128  
Old 01.02.2013, 06:10
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tina Turner to become Swiss

Quote:
View Post
I'm never really sure what your posts mean, but I think that is quite offensive
It was NOT meant to be offensive against anybody, just an observation, but I part-deleted it, as it indeed may be misunderstood
-
and, did you ever consider that YOUR comment is extremely OFFENSIVE ?

Last edited by Wollishofener; 01.02.2013 at 07:59.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #129  
Old 01.02.2013, 06:12
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tina Turner to become Swiss

Quote:
View Post
Good. Because she isn't. She has African American, Native American and European ancestry.


No, she isn't.


Oh Gott. I give up.

Wolli -- please think before posting. Your scribblings can be really offensive -- I know you don't mean to be, but ...

ETA: Caviarchips and I just cross-posted. Same message ... if you don't want to listen to me, please listen to him.
ALright, I adapted the post as it may have been misunderstood widely

And a MISunderstanding it is. Here I for six decades never succeeded to be regarded as a local by the locals but when I arrive in places like Milano, Pisa, Barcelona, Casablanca, Oran, Tunis, Cairo, Beirut etc I am again and again greeted by "welcome back home". And Tina Turner more or less looks like "home" to me. Sure, I in my life have been "described/titled" as Tsching, blööde Araber, chäibe Mulatt, "Chines" (deregatory nickname for the Ticnesi in the armed forces !) , "coloured" and more and excactly THIS is why I totally welcome and support the good lady

To put it clearly, I feel a bit offended by your comments above

Last edited by Wollishofener; 01.02.2013 at 07:57.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #130  
Old 01.02.2013, 09:13
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tina Turner to become Swiss

Just as an add on, you may have seen that that German GermanFrench teacher on this forum feels seriously pissed as he fails to understand this absolute disregard of "Anglos" for what in German is described as "TAKT". And this forum has CH at the end !
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Wollishofener for this post:
  #131  
Old 01.02.2013, 14:49
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Baselland
Posts: 581
Groaned at 9 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 390 Times in 244 Posts
spalebärg has a reputation beyond reputespalebärg has a reputation beyond reputespalebärg has a reputation beyond reputespalebärg has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tina Turner to become Swiss

Quote:
View Post
Just as an add on, you may have seen that that German GermanFrench teacher on this forum feels seriously pissed as he fails to understand this absolute disregard of "Anglos" for what in German is described as "TAKT". And this forum has CH at the end !
I find your use of the word "Anglos" quite discriminatory.
Did you expect on an English language forum that there would be no posters of English origin? And does it disturb you that the English do not conform to your Swiss-Germanic ideals of good behaviour?

Suggest you grow up and grow a pair.
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 01.02.2013, 14:59
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Baselland
Posts: 581
Groaned at 9 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 390 Times in 244 Posts
spalebärg has a reputation beyond reputespalebärg has a reputation beyond reputespalebärg has a reputation beyond reputespalebärg has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tina Turner to become Swiss

Quote:
View Post
Good. Because she isn't. She has African American, Native American and European ancestry.


No, she isn't.


Oh Gott. I give up.

Wolli -- please think before posting. Your scribblings can be really offensive -- I know you don't mean to be, but ...

ETA: Caviarchips and I just cross-posted. Same message ... if you don't want to listen to me, please listen to him.
You are very generous to say, "I know you [Wollishofener] don't mean to be, but..."
The truth is he clearly only accepts Tina Turner because she is NOT as black as he initially thought.
I consider expressing such thoughts on a public forum for all English speakers regardless of colour as completely unacceptable and truely reprehensible.
And to think he was recently yammering about the SVP
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users groan at spalebärg for this post:
  #133  
Old 01.02.2013, 16:08
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Letzeburg
Posts: 1,970
Groaned at 68 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 5,005 Times in 1,780 Posts
crazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond reputecrazygringo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tina Turner to become Swiss

is the term "Anglo" actually disciminatory? I am not being thick (not intentionally, anyway), it's an honest question.



also, before people get their knickers all up in knots, it is always good to remember that native German speakers, when writing or speaking English, frequently come off as horribly direct and even insensitive. many times this is simply because the "soft" syntax, intonation and other devices that English speakers use to convey sarcasm, irony, empathy, etc. are difficult to learn and master (which is a problem many native English speakers have with German and Swiss German, myself included). other times it is because words, phrases and even concepts that are perfectly fine to discuss in German or Swiss German become completely taboo when translated into English.

I have often found Wolli to be a little direct when it comes to discussion of race / nationality / ethnicity, etc. (this is hardly unique to Wolli, the Swiss seem generally to be very open and direct about such matters, at least from the perspective of an American), but I'm sure nothing sinister was intended. hell, there are plenty of folks in the States who say far worse about a woman who left the hallowed shores of the US of A to run off to Switzerland with a German.

Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank crazygringo for this useful post:
  #134  
Old 01.02.2013, 17:11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CH
Posts: 449
Groaned at 9 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 647 Times in 281 Posts
Laertes has a reputation beyond reputeLaertes has a reputation beyond reputeLaertes has a reputation beyond reputeLaertes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tina Turner to become Swiss

Quote:
View Post
is the term "Anglo" actually disciminatory? I am not being thick (not intentionally, anyway), it's an honest question.
According to the Wikipedia article about "Anglo" it doesn't seem to be disciminatory at all:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo

eg:
The term Anglo has been regularly used by mainstream media such as the Los Angeles Times usually in broad reference to non-Hispanic, English-speaking White Americans of European descent.


Quote:
also, before people get their knickers all up in knots, it is always good to remember that native German speakers, when writing or speaking English, frequently come off as horribly direct and even insensitive. many times this is simply because the "soft" syntax, intonation and other devices that English speakers use to convey sarcasm, irony, empathy, etc. are difficult to learn and master (which is a problem many native English speakers have with German and Swiss German, myself included). other times it is because words, phrases and even concepts that are perfectly fine to discuss in German or Swiss German become completely taboo when translated into English.

I have often found Wolli to be a little direct when it comes to discussion of race / nationality / ethnicity, etc. (this is hardly unique to Wolli, the Swiss seem generally to be very open and direct about such matters, at least from the perspective of an American), but I'm sure nothing sinister was intended. hell, there are plenty of folks in the States who say far worse about a woman who left the hallowed shores of the US of A to run off to Switzerland with a German.

I think there is a word definition problem, too. In America the term "black" means people of Sub-Saharen African decent. In Switzerland and many other parts of the world it is simply a description of skin tone. So if a person has a relatively fair skin they will be described as white regardless of their ancestry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_people
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwarze
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Laertes for this useful post:
  #135  
Old 01.02.2013, 17:30
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 6,611
Groaned at 188 Times in 147 Posts
Thanked 10,975 Times in 4,534 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tina Turner to become Swiss

Quote:
View Post
According to the Wikipedia article about "Anglo" it doesn't seem to be disciminatory at all:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo

eg:
The term Anglo has been regularly used by mainstream media such as the Los Angeles Times usually in broad reference to non-Hispanic, English-speaking White Americans of European descent.
Yeah, but the LA Times would; only an Anglo can call another Anglo Anglo.

Last edited by 22 yards; 02.02.2013 at 01:30. Reason: Fixed link
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post:
  #136  
Old 01.02.2013, 18:41
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tina Turner to become Swiss

Quote:
View Post
I find your use of the word "Anglos" quite discriminatory.
Did you expect on an English language forum that there would be no posters of English origin? And does it disturb you that the English do not conform to your Swiss-Germanic ideals of good behaviour?

Suggest you grow up and grow a pair.
I am not "Faltrad" and so have no problem with the point above. I personally can do very well without "Swiss-Germanic" ideals. But whomever lives here ought to be aware of this. And I find it strange at times to see "mimosa-like" sentiments taking place
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 01.02.2013, 18:45
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tina Turner to become Swiss

Quote:
View Post
You are very generous to say, "I know you [Wollishofener] don't mean to be, but..."
The truth is he clearly only accepts Tina Turner because she is NOT as black as he initially thought.
I consider expressing such thoughts on a public forum for all English speakers regardless of colour as completely unacceptable and truely reprehensible.
And to think he was recently yammering about the SVP
I would welcome her just as well if she was black as ebony. But in this I only speak for me. It is well possible unfortunately that she in such a case would have more problems. Some people might now feel offended but in my view racism DOES exist, not least in the state bureaucracy and among many policemen. To ignore sad realities is not useful
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 01.02.2013, 19:07
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Zurich Unterland
Posts: 3,318
Groaned at 145 Times in 99 Posts
Thanked 4,850 Times in 1,930 Posts
smoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond reputesmoky has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tina Turner to become Swiss

And here was me thinking the last of racism died in 1994. But seems it`s still alive and kicking deep inside some people? They just MUST keep seeing the colour of the skin, or the shades thereof, tints, textures, etc etc. And then try and make an argument about it.

You want to know something interesting about how to tell the ancestry of people? .......It`s in the way they dance.
I`m not going to tell.
You can go figure for yourselves. (Well, okay, just a small hint - look at the positioning of the legs/feet).
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 02.02.2013, 01:34
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tina Turner to become Swiss

Quote:
View Post
And here was me thinking the last of racism died in 1994. But seems it`s still alive and kicking deep inside some people? They just MUST keep seeing the colour of the skin, or the shades thereof, tints, textures, etc etc. And then try and make an argument about it.

You want to know something interesting about how to tell the ancestry of people? .......It`s in the way they dance.
I`m not going to tell.
You can go figure for yourselves. (Well, okay, just a small hint - look at the positioning of the legs/feet).
Sadly enough, racism did NOT die in Switzerland or elsewhere but still exists. And in case of some people it is NOT "deep inside" but just below the surface

An interesting idea to try to get an idea of ancestry of people out of body language, moving around, walking etc. Possibly correct as when you walk around with different people in the city, you will find that walking along people with a comparable ancestry is easier than doing so with others (even if you knew some of those "others" for decades). Somebody may complain about such considerations being "racist" while much of course is the result of what in Italian is "il fisico" and in German "der Körperbau"
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 02.02.2013, 03:26
eddiejc1's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Derwood, MD USA
Posts: 983
Groaned at 20 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 639 Times in 355 Posts
eddiejc1 has an excellent reputationeddiejc1 has an excellent reputationeddiejc1 has an excellent reputationeddiejc1 has an excellent reputation
Re: Tina Turner to become Swiss

Earlier in this thread there was discussion over whether Tina Turner was fluent in German. Wolli said she was, but chooses to only speak English in public. I believe Wolli, but for the sake of argument let's say she mostly speaks English and only knows a little German. She's Tina Turner. Does anybody really think in her case her canton would hold that against her in applying for citizenship?
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swiss pass Norway to become world's richest The Local Swiss news via The Local 0 20.10.2011 12:15
how to become swiss citizen? bibo1221 Permits/visas/government 37 07.08.2011 14:29
How to become Swiss spinning_junky Permits/visas/government 0 28.12.2009 11:15
Tina Turner concert in Zurich irinaniko Entertainment & dining 10 17.02.2009 10:35
Anyone want to sell 2 Tina Turner tickets for tonight? Zurich TLC Items for sale 0 16.02.2009 17:00


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0