Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Swiss politics/news
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03.02.2013, 14:00
Dack Rambo's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,140
Groaned at 154 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 1,254 Times in 643 Posts
Dack Rambo has earned some respectDack Rambo has earned some respect
UBS IT Outsourcing

is UBS planing to outsource all of it's IT department? interesting article in the nzz on this - http://www.nzz.ch/aktuell/wirtschaft...ce-1.17976682#
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03.02.2013, 14:14
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 10,500
Groaned at 148 Times in 126 Posts
Thanked 7,130 Times in 4,185 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
View Post
is UBS planing to outsource all of it's IT department? interesting article in the nzz on this - http://www.nzz.ch/aktuell/wirtschaft...ce-1.17976682#
Expect to see some overpriced cars for sale shortly, Most will be on leases !
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 03.02.2013, 14:16
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 17,245
Groaned at 258 Times in 200 Posts
Thanked 10,475 Times in 6,101 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UBS IT Outsourcing

Quote:
View Post
is UBS planing to outsource all of it's IT department? interesting article in the nzz on this - http://www.nzz.ch/aktuell/wirtschaft...ce-1.17976682#

UBS already in the past outsourced sections of its activities to Bangalore, with qute some success, and as I can read out of the article may do a bit more such outsourcing. Hardly ALL of its IT department, but possible quite a good part. Data-transfer between Bangalore and Zürich takes less than a minute, so what ?

Why not outsource to countries which are prime markets of the future ? Why not respect the markets ?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03.02.2013, 15:04
Upthehatters2008's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In the kitchen at parties.
Posts: 4,999
Groaned at 214 Times in 128 Posts
Thanked 6,078 Times in 2,378 Posts
Upthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond reputeUpthehatters2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UBS IT Outsourcing

Quote:
View Post
UBS already in the past outsourced sections of its activities to Bangalore, with qute some success, and as I can read out of the article may do a bit more such outsourcing. Hardly ALL of its IT department, but possible quite a good part. Data-transfer between Bangalore and Zürich takes less than a minute, so what ?

Why not outsource to countries which are prime markets of the future ? Why not respect the markets ?
You can't outsource the admin of Swiss Private data, and now look at the horror stories of companies desperately migrating back from Bangalore and Pune, after 5 years of disaster after disaster.

The Swiss are willing to pay for quality. In Bangalore, as they say,you get what you pay for.
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank Upthehatters2008 for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 03.02.2013, 15:24
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 1,730
Groaned at 92 Times in 65 Posts
Thanked 2,644 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UBS IT Outsourcing

Quote:
View Post
UBS already in the past outsourced sections of its activities to Bangalore, with qute some success, and as I can read out of the article may do a bit more such outsourcing. Hardly ALL of its IT department, but possible quite a good part. Data-transfer between Bangalore and Zürich takes less than a minute, so what ?

Why not outsource to countries which are prime markets of the future ? Why not respect the markets ?
data transfer rates are not at the top of your concerns list for significant outsourcing agreements.

Also success depends on how it is measured. and end of year budget saving may not be as financially savvy when the overall cost over 10 years is looked at.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Mikers for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 03.02.2013, 15:32
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 270
Groaned at 71 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 192 Times in 116 Posts
mishimishi is considered unworthymishimishi is considered unworthymishimishi is considered unworthy
Re: UBS IT Outsourcing

maybe they should keep the jobs in the country that bails them out when they are in trouble.

also, the quality in Indian off-shore outfits is simply terrible.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank mishimishi for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 03.02.2013, 15:38
Confloozed's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 6,001
Groaned at 123 Times in 109 Posts
Thanked 4,306 Times in 2,067 Posts
Confloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond reputeConfloozed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UBS IT Outsourcing

Quote:
View Post
maybe they should keep the jobs in the country that bails them out when they are in trouble.

also, the quality in Indian off-shore outfits is simply terrible.
Interesting thing is I have met quite a few Indians that have migrated here for work, who get paid top dollar to work in IT. I wonder how they would feel having their job sent back to India, to make the local wage?

What is the pay rate in India for this kind of work? Is what you make there comparable to the standard of living here?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Confloozed for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 03.02.2013, 15:45
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 8,066
Groaned at 154 Times in 136 Posts
Thanked 19,681 Times in 5,339 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UBS IT Outsourcing

Quote:
View Post
What is the pay rate in India for this kind of work? Is what you make there comparable to the standard of living here?
Within the constraints that a country like India has (i.e. you'd be living in a private/gated compound and driving from place to place, rather than cycling, walking or taking public transport) yes, working in IT in India (especially in the "Silicon valley" of Bangalore) gives you a good life.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank adrianlondon for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 03.02.2013, 15:45
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 270
Groaned at 71 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 192 Times in 116 Posts
mishimishi is considered unworthymishimishi is considered unworthymishimishi is considered unworthy
Re: UBS IT Outsourcing

Ten years ago, I was involved with the team recruiting Indian IT people for a subsidiary of France Telecom. People were expecting 36k a year and had never used a computer - people with science or business degrees. They could barely string together an English sentence. They were being hired to test the network so they required some network experience. They got hired because they could save the company 20k a year per person despite not knowing what they were doing.

One guy got hired and sent an email introducing himself to the team. It read "Hello. Me am Sanjiv" I am not kidding.
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank mishimishi for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 03.02.2013, 15:47
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 8,066
Groaned at 154 Times in 136 Posts
Thanked 19,681 Times in 5,339 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UBS IT Outsourcing

Quote:
View Post
One guy got hired and sent an email introducing himself to the team. It read "Hello. Me am Sanjiv" I am not kidding.
Yeah, those crazy French and their bad English.
Reply With Quote
The following 12 users would like to thank adrianlondon for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 03.02.2013, 15:48
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 270
Groaned at 71 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 192 Times in 116 Posts
mishimishi is considered unworthymishimishi is considered unworthymishimishi is considered unworthy
Re: UBS IT Outsourcing

Quote:
View Post
Yeah, those crazy French and their bad English.
  • Actually, I have to say that the French have really good written English.
  • I failed to mention that fluent English was a requirement
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank mishimishi for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 03.02.2013, 15:55
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,181
Groaned at 80 Times in 60 Posts
Thanked 5,492 Times in 1,920 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UBS IT Outsourcing

I think outsourcing is great for management.

First, you do outsourcing and save a lot money short-term.

Management gets a nice bonus.

Then disaster after disaster happens.

Management decides to insource to save a lot of money.

Management gets another nice bonus.

If they would have done nothing, everyone would have been better off. However, from a career perspective, some people cashed and they saved money twice
Reply With Quote
The following 9 users would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 03.02.2013, 16:19
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: England
Posts: 6
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
uky kozak has no particular reputation at present
Re: UBS IT Outsourcing

Great I am happy! another contract for me to bring the outsourcing in house again...kaching..£££££££
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03.02.2013, 16:26
Dack Rambo's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,140
Groaned at 154 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 1,254 Times in 643 Posts
Dack Rambo has earned some respectDack Rambo has earned some respect
Re: UBS IT Outsourcing

Quote:
View Post
I think outsourcing is great for management.

First, you do outsourcing and save a lot money short-term.

Management gets a nice bonus.

Then disaster after disaster happens.

Management decides to insource to save a lot of money.

Management gets another nice bonus.

If they would have done nothing, everyone would have been better off. However, from a career perspective, some people cashed and they saved money twice
yes, outsourcing IT management might make more sense. I work at an IT services company so this could be good news for us.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03.02.2013, 16:30
FrankZappa's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: France, near Geneva
Posts: 515
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 1,510 Times in 259 Posts
FrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond reputeFrankZappa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UBS IT Outsourcing

Modern management: the guys away from the top, like us, know what a sh!t idea this is, but nobody asks them. Instead the idiots at the top ask an expensive consultant. Who gets richly paid to give bad advice to people who should know without outside help... Brilliant.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank FrankZappa for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 03.02.2013, 16:48
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,814
Groaned at 38 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 1,339 Times in 765 Posts
rainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond reputerainer_d has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UBS IT Outsourcing

Quote:
View Post
Ten years ago, I was involved with the team recruiting Indian IT people for a subsidiary of France Telecom. People were expecting 36k a year and had never used a computer - people with science or business degrees. They could barely string together an English sentence. They were being hired to test the network so they required some network experience. They got hired because they could save the company 20k a year per person despite not knowing what they were doing.

One guy got hired and sent an email introducing himself to the team. It read "Hello. Me am Sanjiv" I am not kidding.
I read somewhere that often, Indian parents decide what career their children should take.
I.e. if the job-prospects in IT look good, they tell their kids what to do - who more often than not follow along. They then have a degree in CS or programming but as the decision didn't come from their heart, they don't really know what to do with their career and the results of their work often shows that.
Add to that, that India is 94 on the 2012 Transparency International Corruption Perception Index - I would assume a degree is not the most difficult thing to buy in that country.
(Greece is 93, which says a lot, too...)
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users groan at rainer_d for this post:
  #17  
Old 03.02.2013, 16:54
dennis's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Basel
Posts: 121
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
dennis has no particular reputation at present
Re: UBS IT Outsourcing

Quote:
View Post
Modern management: the guys away from the top, like us, know what a sh!t idea this is, but nobody asks them. Instead the idiots at the top ask an expensive consultant. Who gets richly paid to give bad advice to people who should know without outside help... Brilliant.

I agree !!! Recently an article on freaknoics said there are 500 thousand mgmt consultants in US mostly with majors like bane, mcg.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03.02.2013, 17:50
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 5,518
Groaned at 93 Times in 80 Posts
Thanked 4,315 Times in 2,406 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UBS IT Outsourcing

Quote:
View Post
I think outsourcing is great for management.

First, you do outsourcing and save a lot money short-term.

Management gets a nice bonus.

Then disaster after disaster happens.

Management decides to insource to save a lot of money.

Management gets another nice bonus.

If they would have done nothing, everyone would have been better off. However, from a career perspective, some people cashed and they saved money twice
Pendulum; swings left, swings right.

Some Indian companies are now outsourcing to China & China is in turn outsourcing IT to Vietnam.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03.02.2013, 18:11
Dack Rambo's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,140
Groaned at 154 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 1,254 Times in 643 Posts
Dack Rambo has earned some respectDack Rambo has earned some respect
Re: UBS IT Outsourcing

why is IT so popular for outsourcing? why not outsource other departments like accounts and HR?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Dack Rambo for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 03.02.2013, 18:25
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 150
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 61 Times in 30 Posts
ankurm.2008 has made some interesting contributions
Re: UBS IT Outsourcing

Quote:
View Post
Ten years ago, I was involved with the team recruiting Indian IT people for a subsidiary of France Telecom.....

One guy got hired and sent an email introducing himself to the team. It read "Hello. Me am Sanjiv" I am not kidding.
Quote:
View Post
fluent English was a requirement
...and still the guy got hired. Tell me again, whose fault was that. The guy who got hired or the one who was hiring
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank ankurm.2008 for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swisscom IT outsourcing tevion Swiss politics/news 16 28.08.2012 08:59
UBS IT contractors in El Reg poptart Finance/banking/taxation 3 01.09.2011 22:01
Salary info for IT guy (outsourcing) venkat83 Employment 2 20.06.2011 21:56


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 00:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0