Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Swiss politics/news
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 13.02.2013, 13:11
Assassin's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chasing clouds
Posts: 3,712
Groaned at 153 Times in 105 Posts
Thanked 9,729 Times in 2,739 Posts
Assassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond repute
Patrouille Suisse jet team to disband?

More fun and games from Ueli Maurer's VBS department; this time the Swiss Air Force's jet aerobatic team, the Patrouille Suisse, face the ax after the 2016 airshow season.

Patrouille Suisse to disband

With the retirement of the Northrop F-5E/F Tiger fleet, there are neither enough Hornets, pilots nor resources to continue with the jet aerial display team according to the defense minister. Leased Gripen jets from Saab in Sweden may enter Air Force service before newly manufactured Gripen E/F models are delivered from 2020 onwards.

The Patrouille Suisse (PS) was formed in 1964 and will hopefully celebrate 50 accident free years of display flying in 2014, which is also the 100th Anniversary of the Swiss Air Force.

On a personal note, I know a bunch of these guys and their leader and find it not only a poor call for the Air Force, but it would be a major loss for Switzerland if this inspirational team were forced to disband. What would major events in Switzerland be without the red and white jets thundering through the skies proudly flying the Swiss flag? Although the PC7 Team Propeller Team is unaffected by the PS decision, their display is entirely different to those of the jets.
__________________
Crash your karma into little bits of happiness
Reply With Quote
The following 17 users would like to thank Assassin for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 13.02.2013, 13:20
cannut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 5,887
Groaned at 140 Times in 111 Posts
Thanked 4,718 Times in 2,620 Posts
cannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Patrouille Suisse jet team to disband?

SAD
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank cannut for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 13.02.2013, 13:52
Tim8803's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zürich
Posts: 423
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 445 Times in 204 Posts
Tim8803 has earned the respect of manyTim8803 has earned the respect of manyTim8803 has earned the respect of many
Re: Patrouille Suisse jet team to disband?

Agree, poor decision. Sad to see them go. At the very least it would be excellent training for the pilots, that alone could have justified keeping them.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Tim8803 for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 13.02.2013, 14:48
Gordon Comstock's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Geneva
Posts: 188
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 266 Times in 103 Posts
Gordon Comstock is considered knowledgeableGordon Comstock is considered knowledgeableGordon Comstock is considered knowledgeable
Re: Patrouille Suisse jet team to disband?

I saw them at Fairford in '93. They were waiting on the taxiway to take off for their display when two Mig 29s collided above them:


After the dust had settled, they calmly took off and did their display as usual. I remember thinking at the time that must have taken some cajones.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Gordon Comstock for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 13.02.2013, 15:07
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,090
Groaned at 389 Times in 308 Posts
Thanked 14,055 Times in 5,563 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Patrouille Suisse jet team to disband?

Isn't the team I saw performing here in Spain last year? I believe so. Very sad because they are very good.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 13.02.2013, 15:09
Assassin's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chasing clouds
Posts: 3,712
Groaned at 153 Times in 105 Posts
Thanked 9,729 Times in 2,739 Posts
Assassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Patrouille Suisse jet team to disband?

Quote:
View Post
I saw them at Fairford in '93. They were waiting on the taxiway to take off for their display when two Mig 29s collided above them:

After the dust had settled, they calmly took off and did their display as usual. I remember thinking at the time that must have taken some cajones.
I was there too. Felt pretty warm right under the burning fuel. I know that Hunter Team Leader too, he's always rather nonchalant about it, as in "what else did they expect us to do other than fly?"
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Assassin for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 13.02.2013, 15:21
luminousmind08's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Little o, Zürich
Posts: 744
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 346 Times in 197 Posts
luminousmind08 has a reputation beyond reputeluminousmind08 has a reputation beyond reputeluminousmind08 has a reputation beyond reputeluminousmind08 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Patrouille Suisse jet team to disband?

A highlight for me every year is their show before the Lauberhorn race. Amazing when they fly right for the face of the Eiger. Worth the price of admission to the race in itself.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank luminousmind08 for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 13.02.2013, 16:04
cannut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 5,887
Groaned at 140 Times in 111 Posts
Thanked 4,718 Times in 2,620 Posts
cannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Patrouille Suisse jet team to disband?

Quote:
View Post
More fun and games from Ueli Maurer's VBS department; this time the Swiss Air Force's jet aerobatic team, the Patrouille Suisse, face the ax after the 2016 airshow season.

Patrouille Suisse to disband

With the retirement of the Northrop F-5E/F Tiger fleet, there are neither enough Hornets, pilots nor resources to continue with the jet aerial display team according to the defense minister. Leased Gripen jets from Saab in Sweden may enter Air Force service before newly manufactured Gripen E/F models are delivered from 2020 onwards.

The Patrouille Suisse (PS) was formed in 1964 and will hopefully celebrate 50 accident free years of display flying in 2014, which is also the 100th Anniversary of the Swiss Air Force.

On a personal note, I know a bunch of these guys and their leader and find it not only a poor call for the Air Force, but it would be a major loss for Switzerland if this inspirational team were forced to disband. What would major events in Switzerland be without the red and white jets thundering through the skies proudly flying the Swiss flag? Although the PC7 Team Propeller Team is unaffected by the PS decision, their display is entirely different to those of the jets.
Eh start a petition ,where can i sign
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 13.02.2013, 16:45
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 5,593
Groaned at 128 Times in 113 Posts
Thanked 3,272 Times in 1,725 Posts
Shorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Patrouille Suisse jet team to disband?

Quote:
View Post
A highlight for me every year is their show before the Lauberhorn race. Amazing when they fly right for the face of the Eiger. Worth the price of admission to the race in itself.
And that takes a long time to prepare as they have to fit alpine flight mods to the planes.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 13.02.2013, 17:01
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 5,593
Groaned at 128 Times in 113 Posts
Thanked 3,272 Times in 1,725 Posts
Shorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Patrouille Suisse jet team to disband?

Surely they can afford to maintain the patrol on the flight line. Heck even Breitling affords its own jets.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 13.02.2013, 17:47
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 16,745
Groaned at 231 Times in 180 Posts
Thanked 10,164 Times in 5,920 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Patrouille Suisse jet team to disband?

Quote:
View Post
More fun and games from Ueli Maurer's VBS department; this time the Swiss Air Force's jet aerobatic team, the Patrouille Suisse, face the ax after the 2016 airshow season.

Patrouille Suisse to disband

With the retirement of the Northrop F-5E/F Tiger fleet, there are neither enough Hornets, pilots nor resources to continue with the jet aerial display team according to the defense minister. Leased Gripen jets from Saab in Sweden may enter Air Force service before newly manufactured Gripen E/F models are delivered from 2020 onwards.

The Patrouille Suisse (PS) was formed in 1964 and will hopefully celebrate 50 accident free years of display flying in 2014, which is also the 100th Anniversary of the Swiss Air Force.

On a personal note, I know a bunch of these guys and their leader and find it not only a poor call for the Air Force, but it would be a major loss for Switzerland if this inspirational team were forced to disband. What would major events in Switzerland be without the red and white jets thundering through the skies proudly flying the Swiss flag? Although the PC7 Team Propeller Team is unaffected by the PS decision, their display is entirely different to those of the jets.

As the Patrouille Suisse airplanes are not different from the others in the airforce, there apparently is an idea to retain the team, but flying with temporarily leased airforce airplanes, decorated with stickers which will be taken away next day. The idea apparently comes from Aerobatics specialists. It may not be easy but a special situation may require special solutions
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 13.02.2013, 21:57
Assassin's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chasing clouds
Posts: 3,712
Groaned at 153 Times in 105 Posts
Thanked 9,729 Times in 2,739 Posts
Assassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Patrouille Suisse jet team to disband?

Quote:
View Post
Surely they can afford to maintain the patrol on the flight line. Heck even Breitling affords its own jets.
Nah. Not even, Breitling have a sponsorship agreement with Apache Aviation in Dijon for the L-39s, much as they have other deals with the Super Constellation and similar flying under their banner.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 14.02.2013, 06:18
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 16,745
Groaned at 231 Times in 180 Posts
Thanked 10,164 Times in 5,920 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Patrouille Suisse jet team to disband?

Quote:
View Post
Nah. Not even, Breitling have a sponsorship agreement with Apache Aviation in Dijon for the L-39s, much as they have other deals with the Super Constellation and similar flying under their banner.
Splendid idea ! let's ask Saab to sponsor a Patrouille Suisse equipped with Saab Gripen, or a squadron of outdated but beautiful Saab Draken

Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 14.02.2013, 09:37
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 5,593
Groaned at 128 Times in 113 Posts
Thanked 3,272 Times in 1,725 Posts
Shorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Patrouille Suisse jet team to disband?

Quote:
View Post
Nah. Not even, Breitling have a sponsorship agreement with Apache Aviation in Dijon for the L-39s, much as they have other deals with the Super Constellation and similar flying under their banner.
I meant their own corporate jets based out of Payerne

We also fly this wonderful machine under their banner

Note the prominent alpine flight mods

Last edited by Shorrick Mk2; 14.02.2013 at 09:53.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Shorrick Mk2 for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 14.02.2013, 10:30
Gordon Comstock's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Geneva
Posts: 188
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 266 Times in 103 Posts
Gordon Comstock is considered knowledgeableGordon Comstock is considered knowledgeableGordon Comstock is considered knowledgeable
Re: Patrouille Suisse jet team to disband?

Quote:
View Post
We also fly this wonderful machine under their banner

Note the prominent alpine flight mods
Don't wish to divert the thread too much but...

How do you stop that when you land? Throw out an anchor?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 14.02.2013, 10:32
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 16,745
Groaned at 231 Times in 180 Posts
Thanked 10,164 Times in 5,920 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Patrouille Suisse jet team to disband?

Quote:
View Post
I meant their own corporate jets based out of Payerne

We also fly this wonderful machine under their banner

Note the prominent alpine flight mods

A)
http://www.bazl.admin.ch/experten/lu...tailKnz=HB-PIC
So that you are somehow with the Aéro-Club de Genève ?

B) That some civil traffic is allowed out of Payerne is clear and that the PC-7 team of Breitling are based in Payerne also, but what BizJets are actually BASED there ?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 14.02.2013, 10:38
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 16,745
Groaned at 231 Times in 180 Posts
Thanked 10,164 Times in 5,920 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Patrouille Suisse jet team to disband?

Quote:
View Post
Don't wish to divert the thread too much but...

How do you stop that when you land? Throw out an anchor?

Look at this !





or at this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjgO7r-j22I

here in this case on water
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 14.02.2013, 11:15
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Geneva
Posts: 5,593
Groaned at 128 Times in 113 Posts
Thanked 3,272 Times in 1,725 Posts
Shorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond reputeShorrick Mk2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Patrouille Suisse jet team to disband?

Quote:
View Post
Don't wish to divert the thread too much but...

How do you stop that when you land? Throw out an anchor?
Landing uphill usually does the trick

Quote:
View Post
A)
http://www.bazl.admin.ch/experten/lu...tailKnz=HB-PIC
So that you are somehow with the Aéro-Club de Genève ?
Your google skills never cease to amaze me.

I am somehow with plenty of organisations. Here are a few registrations for you to google:

NL851D.
HBRDF.
HBUVB.

Quote:
B) That some civil traffic is allowed out of Payerne is clear and that the PC-7 team of Breitling are based in Payerne also, but what BizJets are actually BASED there ?
Actually none but eventually a CJ2 and a CJ4 operated by Breitling flight ops might move there depending on how accomodating or not Grenchen are.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 14.02.2013, 13:14
Assassin's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chasing clouds
Posts: 3,712
Groaned at 153 Times in 105 Posts
Thanked 9,729 Times in 2,739 Posts
Assassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Patrouille Suisse jet team to disband?

Maybe I should introduce Wolli to you Shorrick, he was one of the founding gurus and editors of JP Airline Fleets before it was purchased by Reed International (Flight magazine) a couple of years ago.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 14.02.2013, 15:40
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 16,745
Groaned at 231 Times in 180 Posts
Thanked 10,164 Times in 5,920 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Patrouille Suisse jet team to disband?

Quote:
View Post
Landing uphill usually does the trick



Your google skills never cease to amaze me.

I am somehow with plenty of organisations. Here are a few registrations for you to google:

NL851D.
HBRDF.
HBUVB.



Actually none but eventually a CJ2 and a CJ4 operated by Breitling flight ops might move there depending on how accomodating or not Grenchen are.
This of course opens questions
A) is Breitling still Grenchen and La Chaux-de-Fonds based ?
B) are there increasing restrictions at Grenchen Apt ?
C) isn't Payerne a bit far away from either base ?

Sure, Payerne is the only airport in Switzerland with vast space reserves. So that if recent developments signal a development towards a "Schweiz ohne Armee" there may be a great future for "Lausanne-Payerne-Bern Int'l Airport" ahead in spite of the fact that the place is a bit "in the prairies"
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
air force, maurer, patrouille suisse, switzerland, tiger




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Breitling SuperConstellation and Jet team visit 4th and 11th August - Geneva SuisseRomand Travel/day trips/free time 0 31.07.2012 22:32
Patrouille des Glaciers plaque in Arolla RetiredInNH Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 0 17.08.2011 18:22
Patrouille Suisse F-5E flyover Lausanne: Today & Sunday HeatherM Daily life 12 11.07.2011 10:09
EZ Jet Customer Service - response to a question. Upthehatters2008 Jokes/funnies 5 21.04.2011 18:22


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0