Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Swiss politics/news
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 14.03.2013, 09:41
Assassin's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chasing clouds
Posts: 4,029
Groaned at 180 Times in 123 Posts
Thanked 11,496 Times in 3,132 Posts
Assassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond repute
Swiss orders Boeing 777s

As long rumored, Swiss have started their Airbus A340 fleet renewal and have today announced an initial order for 6 Boeing B777-300ER long range jets.

Tages-Anzeiger link

Delivery is slated for 2016. The "Triple Sevens" will be used to destinations such as Los Angeles, San Francisco and Johannesburg.

The Boeing 777 first flew back in 1994, so it is now a mature design, but with only two engines, offers better efficiency than the four engined A.340.
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank Assassin for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 14.03.2013, 09:47
Homer's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Berner Oberland
Posts: 662
Groaned at 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 750 Times in 336 Posts
Homer has a reputation beyond reputeHomer has a reputation beyond reputeHomer has a reputation beyond reputeHomer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss orders Boeing 777s

And I lazily assume they would not need the slightly higher passenger capacity of the A340?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 14.03.2013, 09:47
Slaphead's Avatar
Moderato espressivo
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Zürich
Posts: 3,145
Groaned at 40 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 8,992 Times in 2,759 Posts
Slaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond reputeSlaphead has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss orders Boeing 777s

Quote:
View Post
As long rumored, Swiss have started their Airbus A340 fleet renewal and have today announced an initial order for 6 Boeing B777-300ER long range jets.

Tages-Anzeiger link

Delivery is slated for 2016. The "Triple Sevens" will be used to destinations such as Los Angeles, San Francisco and Johannesburg.

The Boeing 777 first flew back in 1994, so it is now a mature design, but with only two engines, offers better efficiency than the four engined A.340.
Isn't that the same type that did a belly flop into Heathrow a few years back?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Slaphead for this useful post:
This user groans at Slaphead for this post:
  #4  
Old 14.03.2013, 09:52
Assassin's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chasing clouds
Posts: 4,029
Groaned at 180 Times in 123 Posts
Thanked 11,496 Times in 3,132 Posts
Assassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss orders Boeing 777s

No idea what the seating layout is yet. I forgot to mention that this will no doubt be Mother Lufthansa actually procuring the airplanes and letting their kid Swiss play with them. Lufthansa don't operate the 777s, but have been a long standing Boeing client, whereas Swiss only ever operated the B.747 type (not including the McDD products which were brought under Boeing's wing).
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Assassin for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 14.03.2013, 09:53
Assassin's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chasing clouds
Posts: 4,029
Groaned at 180 Times in 123 Posts
Thanked 11,496 Times in 3,132 Posts
Assassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss orders Boeing 777s

Quote:
View Post
Isn't that the same type that did a belly flop into Heathrow a few years back?
Yup, so would any airplane whose engines had been starved of fuel. Ice crystals blocked fuel from reaching the engines and caused the 777 to glide the last few miles onto the threshold of runway 27L at Heathrow.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Assassin for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 14.03.2013, 09:58
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss orders Boeing 777s

Quote:
View Post
As long rumored, Swiss have started their Airbus A340 fleet renewal and have today announced an initial order for 6 Boeing B777-300ER long range jets.

Tages-Anzeiger link

Delivery is slated for 2016. The "Triple Sevens" will be used to destinations such as Los Angeles, San Francisco and Johannesburg.

The Boeing 777 first flew back in 1994, so it is now a mature design, but with only two engines, offers better efficiency than the four engined A.340.
Interesting except that the TA is wrong about "surprise" as the rumour which now got confirmed has been around for some two weeks.

LH/LX apparently decided in favour of a well proven plane and against both the 747-8 and the A350 "Keine Experimente" to quote KonradAdenauer

************************************************** *************

Quote:
View Post
No idea what the seating layout is yet. I forgot to mention that this will no doubt be Mother Lufthansa actually procuring the airplanes and letting their kid Swiss play with them. Lufthansa don't operate the 777s, but have been a long standing Boeing client, whereas Swiss only ever operated the B.747 type (not including the McDD products which were brought under Boeing's wing).
Yes, the order is done by Lufthansa, which has quite favourable agreements with Boeing since they purchased Boeing 737-100s

************************************************** *****

Quote:
View Post
And I lazily assume they would not need the slightly higher passenger capacity of the A340?
the 777 needs 23% less fuel than the A340, which means quite some savings

Last edited by Wollishofener; 14.03.2013 at 10:16.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 14.03.2013, 10:25
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 4,647
Groaned at 152 Times in 118 Posts
Thanked 9,556 Times in 3,214 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss orders Boeing 777s

Quote:
View Post
LH/LX apparently decided in favour of a well proven plane and against both the 747-8 and the A350 "Keine Experimente" to quote KonradAdenauer
Interesting that LH was the first (and only?) airline operating the 747-8 for passenger flights.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 14.03.2013, 10:27
Assassin's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chasing clouds
Posts: 4,029
Groaned at 180 Times in 123 Posts
Thanked 11,496 Times in 3,132 Posts
Assassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss orders Boeing 777s

Quote:
View Post
Interesting that LH was the first (and only?) airline operating the 747-8 for passenger flights.
I'd call that one a "big mistake". Those airplanes will have no useful value as pax machines when they withdraw them, cheap sale to Cargolux as freighters or to German Cargo.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 14.03.2013, 10:33
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss orders Boeing 777s

Quote:
View Post
I'd call that one a "big mistake". Those airplanes will have no useful value as pax machines when they withdraw them, cheap sale to Cargolux as freighters or to German Cargo.
the 747-8 is simply an attempt to stretch the 747 into eternity. A kind of 21st Century dinosaur
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 14.03.2013, 10:39
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 6,522
Groaned at 43 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 9,156 Times in 4,356 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss orders Boeing 777s

If you're interested in the seating configurations of any plane, hop on over to www.seatguru.com.

OH and I use the site all the time when we are planning a trip. You obviously don't book flights there. You check out which seats are good or bad and why, and you can check this information by airline which is really handy. Not all of them choose the same configuration.

Back on-topic, I think Lufthansa/SWISS is making a very wise move ordering a proven plane instead of the latest gadget. New gadgets can be nice, but the second-generation versions are usually better.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 14.03.2013, 10:47
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss orders Boeing 777s

Quote:
View Post
If you're interested in the seating configurations of any plane, hop on over to www.seatguru.com.

OH and I use the site all the time when we are planning a trip. You obviously don't book flights there. You check out which seats are good or bad and why, and you can check this information by airline which is really handy. Not all of them choose the same configuration.

Back on-topic, I think Lufthansa/SWISS is making a very wise move ordering a proven plane instead of the latest gadget. New gadgets can be nice, but the second-generation versions are usually better.
Do not forget that Swiss has 15 A340. The order is for 6 777. Which means that 9 positions still are open. So that Airbus has a good chance to place some A350 later. LH has always been cautious about such things.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 14.03.2013, 23:14
Assassin's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chasing clouds
Posts: 4,029
Groaned at 180 Times in 123 Posts
Thanked 11,496 Times in 3,132 Posts
Assassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss orders Boeing 777s

Expensive day for Lufthansa. Just issued an order for 100 Airbus A320s and a pair of A380s.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 15.03.2013, 01:17
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss orders Boeing 777s

Quote:
View Post
Expensive day for Lufthansa. Just issued an order for 100 Airbus A320s and a pair of A380s.
Not really, as the total order is for
70 A320/321 NEO and only a smaller number of "tradional" 320/321

which means that they will save so much of fuel costs that it will improve their bottom line
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 21.03.2013, 16:04
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: duebendorf
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jakarta2013 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Swiss orders Boeing 777s

great, good news.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 21.03.2013, 16:12
baboon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 2,464
Groaned at 73 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 2,932 Times in 1,464 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss orders Boeing 777s

Quote:
View Post
No idea what the seating layout is yet.
I can only hope they don't try to copy Emirates and others by squeezing 10 seats across in economy in an aircraft that is only really wide enough for 9.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 21.03.2013, 22:29
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss orders Boeing 777s

Quote:
View Post
I can only hope they don't try to copy Emirates and others by squeezing 10 seats across in economy in an aircraft that is only really wide enough for 9.
I flew on Emirates Zürich-Dubai and Dubai-Zürich on Boeing 777 some years ago, and found the seats alright and the cuisine really good
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 21.03.2013, 22:42
IK36's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: VD
Posts: 360
Groaned at 70 Times in 41 Posts
Thanked 297 Times in 145 Posts
IK36 has earned some respectIK36 has earned some respect
Re: Swiss orders Boeing 777s

Quote:
View Post
Yup, so would any airplane whose engines had been starved of fuel. Ice crystals blocked fuel from reaching the engines and caused the 777 to glide the last few miles onto the threshold of runway 27L at Heathrow.
That incident was quickly hushed up but it was a very important one. Similar things have happened on at least two other occasions but the planes landed safely (emergency landings). I think one was a flight from Singapore to Europe and they had to land in Moscow.

I attribute this to quality British engineering as the engines were made by Rolls Royce. This, together with the Quantas exploding engines and cracks in A380 wings, speaks volumes about British manufacturing.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 21.03.2013, 22:48
cannut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 6,445
Groaned at 175 Times in 135 Posts
Thanked 5,514 Times in 3,042 Posts
cannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss orders Boeing 777s

Quote:
View Post
Not really, as the total order is for
70 A320/321 NEO and only a smaller number of "tradional" 320/321

which means that they will save so much of fuel costs that it will improve their bottom line

And the good news is ,the savings will be passed on to the consumers ,right

Last edited by cannut; 21.03.2013 at 23:27.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank cannut for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 21.03.2013, 23:41
Assassin's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chasing clouds
Posts: 4,029
Groaned at 180 Times in 123 Posts
Thanked 11,496 Times in 3,132 Posts
Assassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss orders Boeing 777s

Quote:
View Post
That incident was quickly hushed up but it was a very important one. Similar things have happened on at least two other occasions but the planes landed safely (emergency landings). I think one was a flight from Singapore to Europe and they had to land in Moscow.

I attribute this to quality British engineering as the engines were made by Rolls Royce. This, together with the Quantas exploding engines and cracks in A380 wings, speaks volumes about British manufacturing.
This wasn't hushed up at all. There were similar instances with an AA 777, the investigations found the same basic cause. Your quality argument is superfluous and incorrect, nothing gets certificated unless it has been rigorously tested and approved before being accepted for production. The likely cause for the BA 777 incident was a more rapid descent than usual and an extreme change in climate after the airplane had flown close to the Arctic Circle before landing. A more gradual descent would have meant that the ice crystals would have had time to melt and not become an issue.

For further reading: AAIB Link
__________________
Crash your karma into little bits of happiness

Last edited by Assassin; 29.01.2016 at 11:36. Reason: Added link
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Assassin for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 21.03.2013, 23:53
baboon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Rheintal
Posts: 2,464
Groaned at 73 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 2,932 Times in 1,464 Posts
baboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond reputebaboon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss orders Boeing 777s

Quote:
View Post
I flew on Emirates Zürich-Dubai and Dubai-Zürich on Boeing 777 some years ago, and found the seats alright and the cuisine really good
---and I found them very cramped and uncomfortable.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
777, airline, boeing, flying, swiss




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swiss court orders retrial of Nigerian dictator's son The Local Swiss news via The Local 0 21.09.2011 10:50
Swiss court orders UEFA to reinstate Sion The Local Swiss news via The Local 3 13.09.2011 19:16
Boeing 777 fly-by at Paine Field Shorrick Mk2 General off-topic 13 26.02.2008 11:24
Swiss Law and Stalking/Restraining Orders jemma Other/general 37 05.10.2007 12:33
PS3 Pre-orders cyrus TV/internet/telephone 7 14.02.2007 18:19


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0