Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Swiss politics/news
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 30.01.2015, 09:48
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Geneva
Posts: 1,069
Groaned at 15 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 1,259 Times in 554 Posts
neddy has an excellent reputationneddy has an excellent reputationneddy has an excellent reputationneddy has an excellent reputation
Cops threatened with sack [employment termination]

For some reason this was not deemed interesting for tsr news but was on leman bleu.
Cops threatened with sack if they joined in the union work to rule to complain against salary cuts, eg: police work to be deemed not a dangerous job

http://www.rts.ch/info/regions/genev...-de-greve.html
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank neddy for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 31.01.2015, 10:07
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Geneva
Posts: 1,069
Groaned at 15 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 1,259 Times in 554 Posts
neddy has an excellent reputationneddy has an excellent reputationneddy has an excellent reputationneddy has an excellent reputation
Re: Cops threatened with sack

Ok so no one has a comment. Is it usual in a private company that employees are threatened with the sack if they are members of unions or follow a work to rule In Switzerland? I was particularly shocked to hear of it in the public sector in a highly trained profession. It seems to me impossible to carry out such a threat. They would have to bring in the army then find trained officers from other cantons. They said on tv yesterday there was a piece on Swiss German tv saying that Swiss Romands like to strike. Compared to the UK + France though it doesn't seem to happen here much.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 31.01.2015, 10:16
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,184
Groaned at 529 Times in 401 Posts
Thanked 11,934 Times in 4,672 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cops threatened with sack

If true that is pretty disgusting behaviour. However, if the protesting police really had their heart in it then they would have striked en masse... what are the authorities going to do, fire everyone? No, clearly not.

They caved in to traditional bully techniques to prevent strike action, without even giving it a try. The French cultural influence, perhaps?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 31.01.2015, 10:26
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cops threatened with sack

Quote:
View Post
For some reason this was not deemed interesting for tsr news but was on leman bleu.
Cops threatened with sack if they joined in the union work to rule to complain against salary cuts, eg: police work to be deemed not a dangerous job

http://www.rts.ch/info/regions/genev...-de-greve.html

- TSR NEWS Looks rather at Switzerand in total or at least things happening in the Romandie. A considerable part of the Romandie (Neuchâtel, Jura, Fribourg-Français, Valais-Français) is NOT on the Lake of Geneva
- Police authorities trying to get policemen away from trades union work is neither new nor Special. And Police, not only in Geneva, is a hierarchical game


************************************************** ******************


Quote:
View Post
Ok so no one has a comment. Is it usual in a private company that employees are threatened with the sack if they are members of unions or follow a work to rule In Switzerland? I was particularly shocked to hear of it in the public sector in a highly trained profession. It seems to me impossible to carry out such a threat. They would have to bring in the army then find trained officers from other cantons. They said on tv yesterday there was a piece on Swiss German tv saying that Swiss Romands like to strike. Compared to the UK + France though it doesn't seem to happen here much.




So sorry, but Police in reality is NOT public sector at all. Which means not PUBLIC really. -- Strikes do not happen so often here because the General Agreement that the two sides sit together and work out a solution


************************************************** *********************


and to state that no one has a comment is gross nonsense, to put it as politely as possible



************************************************** ****************************************


Quote:
View Post
If true that is pretty disgusting behaviour. However, if the protesting police really had their heart in it then they would have striked en masse... what are the authorities going to do, fire everyone? No, clearly not.

They caved in to traditional bully techniques to prevent strike action, without even giving it a try. The French cultural influence, perhaps?

That they tried to prevent strike Action may be alright. But I can guarantee that here in Zürich, there would be intensive talks between the trade unionists and the Cantonal government or the City government to find solutions, and very much the same in Romandie Cantons like Neuchâtel, Fribourg and Vaud.




************************************************** *************************

Last edited by Wollishofener; 31.01.2015 at 10:39.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Wollishofener for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 31.01.2015, 15:50
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 9,184
Groaned at 529 Times in 401 Posts
Thanked 11,934 Times in 4,672 Posts
Richdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond reputeRichdog has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cops threatened with sack

Quote:
View Post
************************************************** *********************


and to state that no one has a comment is gross nonsense, to put it as politely as possible



************************************************** ****************************************
He was making reference to the fact that no-one had commented on the topic in 24 hours, which at the time was not "gross nonsense".
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Richdog for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 01.02.2015, 01:28
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cops threatened with sack

Quote:
View Post
He was making reference to the fact that no-one had commented on the topic in 24 hours, which at the time was not "gross nonsense".


Correct for sure, but it was Friday, which tends to be the busiest day of the week, at least in most places
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01.02.2015, 08:31
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 3,381
Groaned at 62 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 2,966 Times in 1,470 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cops threatened with sack [employment termination]

In the UK, the Police are not allowed to strike or do any kind of industrial action (they are the only profession) maybe it is the same here. I guess you are aware of this when you join up.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01.02.2015, 09:47
MsWorWoo's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zürich Nord
Posts: 1,484
Groaned at 47 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 2,214 Times in 866 Posts
MsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond reputeMsWorWoo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cops threatened with sack [employment termination]

Quote:
View Post
In the UK, the Police are not allowed to strike or do any kind of industrial action (they are the only profession) maybe it is the same here. I guess you are aware of this when you join up.
Indeed, they do not have the right to a union either, but instead have a toothless organization called the police federation. I remember a British black and white movie once where the criminals went on strike.... Reminds me of Switzerland....
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01.02.2015, 13:39
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cops threatened with sack [employment termination]

Quote:
View Post
Indeed, they do not have the right to a union either, but instead have a toothless organization called the police federation. I remember a British black and white movie once where the criminals went on strike.... Reminds me of Switzerland....


Similar in Switzerland with the VSPB
http://www.lidl.fr/fr/magasins.htm
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01.02.2015, 18:59
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Geneva
Posts: 1,069
Groaned at 15 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 1,259 Times in 554 Posts
neddy has an excellent reputationneddy has an excellent reputationneddy has an excellent reputationneddy has an excellent reputation
Re: Cops threatened with sack [employment termination]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_sector
" in most countries the public sector includes such services as the military, police, ..."

This is what I saw that caused my comment.
minutes 8.22
http://www.lemanbleu.ch/replay/video.html?VideoID=26544

OK yes I can see now, Police Federation. A friends son is considering joining the police here so yes, such things are useful to know before joining up.

I find your tone, Wollishofener, somewhat brusque & don't understand the reason for that.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01.02.2015, 19:16
Dougal's Breakfast's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: GL
Posts: 15,383
Groaned at 969 Times in 737 Posts
Thanked 38,643 Times in 12,099 Posts
Dougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cops threatened with sack [employment termination]

Quote:
View Post
I find your tone, Wollishofener, somewhat brusque & don't understand the reason for that.
It's because he loves you and wishes to guide you in the ways of the world.

Wollishofener is EF's grandfather: several hundred years old (nobody knows his exact age), witness to some of the greatest moments in history, friend of kings, generals, rock stars and drunkards - if it happened, he was there; if they lived, he enjoyed an excellent Lebanese Merlot with them.

He might be brusque, even - by some people's standards - a little bit rude, but it's all with the best of intentions. Imagine having a tutor who combined the brilliance of Socrates, Aristotle, Newton, Einstein and Bod, and you can imagine he'd be a bit short with the slightly less brilliant (not to mention a bit whiskery and a bit sweaty) - that's our Wollishofener!

Rather than be offended by his tone, rather be honoured by the fact that he acknowledged your presence.

I'd sent him a nice bottle of Iranian Syrah as an apology, if I were you. He knows people.
Reply With Quote
The following 10 users would like to thank Dougal's Breakfast for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 01.02.2015, 19:21
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Geneva
Posts: 1,069
Groaned at 15 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 1,259 Times in 554 Posts
neddy has an excellent reputationneddy has an excellent reputationneddy has an excellent reputationneddy has an excellent reputation
Re: Cops threatened with sack [employment termination]

Yes, true, I need to get used to the clay pigeon style of this forum.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01.02.2015, 20:21
Captain Greybeard's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sarganserland / NW Lower Peninsula of NE US Midwest
Posts: 3,183
Groaned at 40 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 6,415 Times in 2,036 Posts
Captain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cops threatened with sack [employment termination]

Quote:
View Post
Wollishofener is EF's grandfather: several hundred years old (nobody knows his exact age)
Born Oct. 15, 1950. It's a national holiday both in Switzerland and Lebanon. I don't know when his grandma in Schaffhausen was born, though.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Captain Greybeard for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 01.02.2015, 22:53
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 18,138
Groaned at 927 Times in 723 Posts
Thanked 19,712 Times in 9,476 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cops threatened with sack [employment termination]

Quote:
View Post
I find your tone, Wollishofener, somewhat brusque & don't understand the reason for that.
Ummm, because he's Swiss (as am I )?

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02.02.2015, 00:33
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cops threatened with sack [employment termination]

Quote:
View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_sector
" in most countries the public sector includes such services as the military, police, ..."

This is what I saw that caused my comment.
minutes 8.22
http://www.lemanbleu.ch/replay/video.html?VideoID=26544

OK yes I can see now, Police Federation. A friends son is considering joining the police here so yes, such things are useful to know before joining up.

I find your tone, Wollishofener, somewhat brusque & don't understand the reason for that.

Nothing BRUSQUE but simply confirming the obvious. A lot dêpends on those locally in charge.


And Military Police (HEPO/MP) is NOT public Service but part of the Federal Army


----


when in Military Service and seeing them /MP) on the perrons we used to warn our colleagues
Achtung, üüsi Geschtaapo isch daa and we made sure that our caps etc were in order etc

Last edited by Wollishofener; 02.02.2015 at 00:44.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02.02.2015, 09:03
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Geneva
Posts: 1,069
Groaned at 15 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 1,259 Times in 554 Posts
neddy has an excellent reputationneddy has an excellent reputationneddy has an excellent reputationneddy has an excellent reputation
Re: Cops threatened with sack [employment termination]

It was military comma police - as in military and police - a quote off Wiki.
So in Switzerland cops are not public sector even though they are government employees whereas in the UK they are?
Pedantic terminology.
I imagine it is translating from Swiss German then that changes the tone.

So TPG workers & teachers can strike - they have done so. The teachers in college, to my understanding, are not marking grades as a strike action at the moment. But cops are not allowed because of public safety. It would appear no one has told the police that until the morning when they were planning on it.. and I suppose the no strike relates to prison officers too.
http://www.tdg.ch/geneve/actu-genevo...story/27579922
http://www.lematin.ch/suisse/Greve-d...story/29677720
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02.02.2015, 19:20
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,028
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,712 Times in 6,857 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Cops threatened with sack [employment termination]

Quote:
View Post
It was military comma police - as in military and police - a quote off Wiki.
So in Switzerland cops are not public sector even though they are government employees whereas in the UK they are?
Pedantic terminology.
I imagine it is translating from Swiss German then that changes the tone.

So TPG workers & teachers can strike - they have done so. The teachers in college, to my understanding, are not marking grades as a strike action at the moment. But cops are not allowed because of public safety. It would appear no one has told the police that until the morning when they were planning on it.. and I suppose the no strike relates to prison officers too.
http://www.tdg.ch/geneve/actu-genevo...story/27579922
http://www.lematin.ch/suisse/Greve-d...story/29677720

Cops ARE public Service and ARE employees of the government. Soldiers are NOT public Service and are NOT employees of the government. And the MILITAERPOLIZEI is part of the army
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04.03.2015, 17:14
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Zürich
Posts: 13
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Nachtigall has earned some respectNachtigall has earned some respect
Re: Cops threatened with sack [employment termination]

Interesting, here in Zürich, the cop vans have been sporting humorous--well, bland humor--ads for new force members. Something like, "Wouldn't you like to join us in this van?--Not as a perpetrator, of course!"
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Nachtigall for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 04.03.2015, 18:22
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Geneva
Posts: 1,069
Groaned at 15 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 1,259 Times in 554 Posts
neddy has an excellent reputationneddy has an excellent reputationneddy has an excellent reputationneddy has an excellent reputation
Re: Cops threatened with sack [employment termination]

My friends son who was thinking about joining the police has been nabbed into Officer training in the Army so he might change his mind anyway by the time he gets out.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank neddy for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Employment termination Kristan Employment 3 19.11.2014 17:29
employment termination shazzles Employment 33 04.02.2014 14:13
Only been in the job 6 weeks but being threatened with termination.....EU permit hold cse102 Employment 15 02.07.2010 23:40
Employment Termination Lippy Employment 2 21.10.2009 18:42
Employment contract termination alaind Employment 29 23.04.2009 23:11


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0